• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Regarding dealing with the hammer guys, I actually use the pole-arm just to wipe out whatever Dwarf Gekko's are left so they don't annoy me. Then I switch to the Pincers for the hammer guys and utilize dodge offset when they get too close, whilst constantly wailing on them with the Pincers. I wouldn't use the Sai's for them.

Thanks I'll try that

God, I love this cutscene...

360_256.gif

I still remember saying out loud "WOOOW!" the first time I watched it!

I saw suggestions of trying to get the fenrir to shoot the hammer guys, but since that's just based on luck it hasn't been working out. I'll try the Stinger, thanks. Also heard one method of using the pincers on the remaining hammer guys, and another method of using the sai, which one is more effective?

they shot them for me twice in 30 min. first time i died an embarassing death at the grad. if you see the fenrir go into shooting mode, try to immediately hide behind the hammer guys. not much to lose at that point anyway.

It's more likely that the Fenrir will try to throw knives at you if you're standing so that a hammer guy is in-between you but yeah it's pretty much down to luck.

Regarding dealing with the hammer guys, I actually use the pole-arm just to wipe out whatever Dwarf Gekko's are left so they don't annoy me. Then I switch to the Pincers for the hammer guys and utilize dodge offset when they get too close, whilst constantly wailing on them with the Pincers. I wouldn't use the Sai's for them.

Switching between the sai and the pincers for the hammer bros. is the safest and fastest method. Stun one, then focus on the other. Even with good dodging/parrying, all it takes is one slip up because of the camera hitting a wall to end everything.

The sai is the safest way to kill the GRAD too.

demidar

Switching between the sai and the pincers for the hammer bros. is the safest and fastest method. Stun one, then focus on the other. Even with good dodging/parrying, all it takes is one slip up because of the camera hitting a wall to end everything.

The sai is the safest way to kill the GRAD too.

Naw, a charged Pincer attack gives Raiden superarmour and reduces all damage taken by 95%. Not only that, but it's got a massive range and can knock Hammer Bros. off their feet so you can retreat safely, but you should only do this when you've taken out all Dwarf Gekkos.

Naw, a charged Pincer attack gives Raiden superarmour and reduces all damage taken by 95%. Not only that, but it's got a massive range and can knock Hammer Bros. off their feet so you can retreat safely, but you should only do this when you've taken out all Dwarf Gekkos.

...And alternating between the sai and pincers is even better, like I said. Why even take the risk of just using the pincers?

Monocle

I like MGR a lot because it has probably the least amount of bullshit inbetween fights since, like DMC3. I don't want to experience horrible platforming (DmC) or horrible tribute stages (Bayonetta) in action games. It makes these games more and more unreplayable if you put tedious low-skill shit inbetween what you want to actually do.
Yeah, I kept waiting for the missile piloting or motorcycle driving sequence, and I was so glad when it never came. There are better ways to break up combat than crowbarring in minimally tested and poorly polished segments that have no connection to normal gameplay. Keep action games pure.

demidar

...And alternating between the sai and pincers is even better, like I said. Why even take the risk of just using the pincers?

Because using the pincers completely nullifies the threat of Hammer Bros. They'll be on their asses most of the time, and even if they hit you during a charged attack it won't do shit. Sai needs 6 seconds to charge up for a stun attack, and you can't cancel out of a sai attack.

Hypron

It's not really better, since it takes a lot more time than just using the pincer blades. What I did (and it worked really well), was run away from the 2 hammer guys, charge up the pincer blades, release the charge when they got close (I would hit both of them at the same time), dodge cancel the attack to avoid their counter attack, charge up another pincer attack... Rinse and repeat... After 2/3 hits they'll start getting staggered every time so you don't even have to worry about their counter attacks anymore.

Edit:

Yeah, I kept waiting for the missile piloting or motorcycle driving sequence, and I was so glad when it never came. There are better ways to break up combat than crowbarring in minimally tested and poorly polished segments that have no connection to normal gameplay. Keep action games pure.

Amen.

Carbonox

It's not really better, since it take a lot more time than just using the pincer blades. What I did (and it worked really well), was run away from the 2 hammer guys, charge up the pincer blades, release the charge when they got close (I would hit both of them at the same time), dodge cancel the attack to avoid their counter attack, charge up another pincer attack... Rinse and repeat... After 2/3 hits they'll start getting staggered every time so you don't even have to worry about their counter attacks anymore.

Edit:

Amen.

Yah this is what I did as well. Dodge offset as well makes them simple to take on after you finish off Wolfie and the Dwarf Gekko's.

I like MGR a lot because it has probably the least amount of bullshit inbetween fights since, like DMC3. I don't want to experience horrible platforming (DmC) or horrible tribute stages (Bayonetta) in action games. It makes these games more and more unreplayable if you put tedious low-skill shit inbetween what you want to actually do.

This man speaks the truth. Also why MGR is my favourite action game since DMC3. No bullshit = infinitely replayable without the need for a Bloody Palace mode or something.

Sephzilla

This man speaks the truth. Also why MGR is my favourite action game since DMC3. No bullshit.

Same here.

MGR has very little in the ways of padding/bullshit, and when it does do something slightly different from the norm it's kept short (the clock tower, the world marshal tower, the slider flight).

Carbonox

I made the mistake of downloading and firing up Vergil's Downfall for DmC after I got the Platinum for Rising. :lol DmC comes across as awfully slow, cumbersome and downright shit when coming off the back of Rising.

I did enjoy DmC though back when I played it and subsequently Platinum'd that too but yeah, playing the DLC or the game off the back of Rising straight away is not recommended. :lol

Sephzilla

I made the mistake of downloading and firing up Vergil's Downfall for DmC after I got the Platinum for Rising. :lol DmC comes across as awfully slow, cumbersome and downright shit when coming off the back of Rising.

I did enjoy DmC though back when I played it and subsequently Platinum'd that too but yeah, playing the DLC or the game off the back of Rising straight away is not recommended. :lol

Fear not, the MGR DLC is coming to wash away that foul taste from your mouth!

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I just stealthed the Japanese Gardens. I threw a RP grenede and it landed in a corner somewhere. A bunch of guys followed it and just got stuck in a walking loop facing the wall. Back stabbed them all for a trophy, lol.

Because using the pincers completely nullifies the threat of Hammer Bros. They'll be on their asses most of the time, and even if they hit you during a charged attack it won't do shit. Sai needs 6 seconds to charge up for a stun attack, and you can't cancel out of a sai attack.

If you're talking about the lasso sai attack, you can cancel out of it. And damage is minimized during the pincer swings, not nullified.

Only reason I say use the sai to stun one of the hammer bros. is you can still time the swings incorrectly and catch a blow between swings, which happened to me. I'm sure I messed something up, but I wouldn't want to let that happen again.

When I said fastest and safest, I just meant it's safer to stun one, then hit them with pincers. It's the fastest say while still being safe. Once you knock them down, you can continue with the pincers if you like. I just got to the point where I didn't want to take any risk.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
If the DLC really never does get released to the 360 in NA, people were saying that I can still download it with an EU account to play it. Can I still get the achievements on my real GamerTag by doing that method?

Ragus

Banned
I've just kicked
Sam's ass. Dat western atmosphere.
Fantastic fight.

I can now give this game a score of sombrero/10. So fucking good.

If the DLC really never does get released to the 360 in NA, people were saying that I can still download it with an EU account to play it. Can I still get the achievements on my real GamerTag by doing that method?
DLC should work on any account on your console, no matter with which account you downloaded it.

I think the hardest achievement is probably the codec achievement. The way I approached the achievement was to ring everyone during every fight, after every minor event (i.e. during and after a hostage situtation) and after every cutscene. There's also a few that are unlocked by certain things you do: if you keep calling Courtney like a bad ex-boyfriend, Kev will ask you if you're hitting on her. Similarly, everyone will berate you if you strip a hostage.

Uh, I didn't use the codec ONCE during the entire game, and I can't imagine the level of patience what you described would entail, not to mention it would be boring and tiresome as fuck. Ringing everyone during every fight, event, cutscene? Is it worth it, to get some digital "trophy"? I just don't understand the cost/benefit ratio of such an endeavor. What do you do with the trophy? Who congratulates you for it? Whats its value? If it has no value, and attaining it is not even entertaining in any way, then why go through that?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Uh, I didn't use the codec ONCE during the entire game, and I can't imagine the level of patience what you described would entail, not to mention it would be boring and tiresome as fuck. Ringing everyone during every fight, event, cutscene? Is it worth it, to get some digital "trophy"? I just don't understand the cost/benefit ratio of such an endeavor. What do you do with the trophy? Who congratulates you for it? Whats its value? If it has no value, and attaining it is not even entertaining in any way, then why go through that?

Well, for one thing, I enjoyed the codecs. I think the achievement should have been a bit more lenient, but I still like the idea of it.

And secondly, you're just bringing up the generation old debate of "what's the point of achievements," which you won't win and neither will achievement hunters.

Well, for one thing, I enjoyed the codecs. I think the achievement should have been a bit more lenient, but I still like the idea of it.

And secondly, you're just bringing up the generation old debate of "what's the point of achievements," which you won't win and neither will achievement hunters.

I'm all for achievements which are either entertaining to achieve, or challenging. Not those that force you to do ridiculous things like calling everyone in your codec list every minute of the game hoping it gets unlocked.

I'm all for achievements which are either entertaining to achieve, or challenging. Not those that force you to do ridiculous things like calling everyone in your codec list every minute of the game hoping it gets unlocked.

Then don't go for the trophy. I haven't actually gotten it yet, but a lot of the codecs are pretty interesting, and I think that's good enough motivation to try to get the trophy.

RangerBAD

I have this strange feeling...nay, 'urge'...to return to the game even after getting Platinum in it.

No game has ever made me want to do this. I'm listening to the soundtrack so that's probably why but...but....is this an addiction?

RULES OF NATURE

Hnngh. Maybe I should make a new PSN account and Platinum it AGAIN.

6sxvdu9ljqd.gif

ihavenoideawhatimdoing

I think it's safe to say that Rising is in my top 5 games of the generation.

Hold that urge in until the 12th.

Speaking of getting the Platinum trophy, I have VR 18 and 19 left...

ibrbdr9l86QqJo.gif

What I like about MGR is there's a variety and a pacing to it's structure, particularly the first four chapters. They don't overwhelm you with numbers, but it's just as offensive as any game out there. A fight with a few guys is then broken up with an stealth section in the dark, or a mini-boss, or ninja run escape or now you're a mini-gecko. The first four levels are long, but you don't really FEEL that length because they're always mixing up not just the enemies, but how you will encounter the enemies in a number of interesting ways. It never becomes a slog like NG2/3 where "ok here's a dozen guys, now here's a dozen more guys, now here's a dozen more guys, now here's a dozen MORE guys but this time with off-screen rocket spam fucking up the framerate", for eight hours of increasingly monotonous endless combat. It makes the game easily replayable, it leaves you satisfied after that incredible final boss, but it leaves you wanting more still.

Perhaps a lot of time and money was spent on the voice recordings AND people into MGS lore would want some story with their action so pin it to a trophy so A, it isn't intrusive of the action at hand and B, entices people to check out what they've created.

Torraz

Started the game. Just beat
Monsoon
. That was the first fight that gave me trouble. What am I supposed to do once
he starts seperating? It seemed to be kinda random when his head flew off and I could do damage for a short while...

Yellow attacks are unparryable, right? You need the offensive dodge for that?

RangerBAD

Monsoon
he starts seperating? It seemed to be kinda random when his head flew off and I could do damage for a short while...

Yellow attacks are unparryable, right? You need the offensive dodge for that?
Quick throw (tap R2 on PS3)EM grenade at him, then run up and you'll get a Zandatsu prompt.
And, yes, you have to dodge them.

Quick throw (tap R2 on PS3)EM grenade at him, then run up and you'll get a Zandatsu prompt.
And, yes, you have to dodge them.

Perfect parrying some moves will bring up the Zandatsu prompt too. Also sometimes he just breaks apart after being hit sometimes (wish I knew the exact details on this, there have been several times where I stinger him after he is done doing a move and he breaks apart.

Monsoon

There are four ways to end his defensive mode.

1. Hit him with an EM grenade to stun him (then hit his head in blade mode).

2. Hit him with a perfect parry to stun him.

3. Hit him with a charged sai attack (of course, you'll have to have beaten him first) to stun him.

4. Any regular attack that happens to hit his head will immediately shatter him without you having to stun him. The launcher works well for this.

RangerBAD

Perfect parrying some moves will bring up the Zandatsu prompt too. Also sometimes he just breaks apart after being hit sometimes (wish I knew the exact details on this, there have been several times where I stinger him after he is done doing a move and he breaks apart.

Sounds more useful in the body double than Monsoon's proper fight. He always drops down in purple mode after throwing tanks and helicopters at you. It's easy to EM Grenade him at that point and get the Zandatsu and have him fall apart.

TP

Took me three playthroughs before I got the "Precision Machine" title. The description I found online said I had to cleanly cut 30 body parts without damaging the enemy with another slice. Bull, you need 30 of each body part. 30 heads, 30 right arms, 30 left arms, etc. And you don't even need a full playthrough, farmed them all in the first fight in R-07.

Just two more titles and I'll have them all

Top Bottom