• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

chrono01

yep, i did it for the bosses.

Also, I think I did the idol poster thing in my first playthough but I dont remember a new codec.

I guess I have to bother Courtney some more... Thanks for the tip.

You're very welcome. I wish you luck!

Trust me, having gone through it myself, I definitely sympathize with you. Having that Trophy finally unlock was a rewarding experience.

I'm so confused.

EDIT: On the crane part I tried to pull a barrel over myself and fall to the next building. Did not work. Would have been awesome though.

chrono01

Yeah, I've never died on the bridge section either, including my very first encounter.

Either it's one of those things that only plague certain copies [unlikely], or something some people have issues with, or don't.

I've always initiated Ninja Run as soon as begins, hold forward, complete the QTE event as fast as possible, and resume running. I've never had to manually jump with Raiden at all.

I said it some pages before, but platforming sucks in these type of games. At least it wasn't that much or annoying as in dmc4. Forced platforming for Nero and backtracking totally made replaying that game a horror. Glad MGR is light on this part.

Just beat it on Revengeance and got the codec trophy too. The more I think about this game I am pretty sure the game is entirely designed around the HF blade and only the HF blade. Every other sub-weapon, secondary weapon, primary weapon are really just bandaids to subvert things you would have to do on your own with the HF blade.

You never get the feeling using this stuff that "this was clearly designed to be the optimal way to do this" and more like "I am using this to basically skip something I would otherwise have to do". Using E.M grenades on Monsoon basically skips the hardest part of the fight. The Sai weapon putting some enemies into dizzy just feels like you are skipping them. The pole arm lets you worry less about positioning. The pincer blades just feel... outright broken as far as I can tell. Ripper mode feels completely broken with the pincer blades but with just the HF blade moveset it isn't nearly as much...

I don't think this is bad mind you, I just think this is probably a game that would be more rewarding the more and more you restrict yourself as opposed to Bayonetta where you want to use as much as possible in combat (except like, items - which are essentially labeled as cheats within the games scoring). Nothing in this game is labeled as cheats because I get the feeling that everything outside of the wooden sword and HF blade... are varying degrees of "cheats" from their core design.

Edit: I guess maybe not completely unlike the MGS games, where your "ultimate goal" is to go for very "pure" stealth runs on the higher difficulties.

Deitus

Hah, finally beat VR Mission 18. Got a Gold on it too, so no need to ever play that again. All told, I undoubtedly spent 4+ hours on that mission, and raged about 1000 times.

Thankfully, I've beaten the rest of the VR missions already, and gotten gold on most of them.

Maybe now I can go back to enjoying this game.
Kidding... mostly. Seriously VR Mission 18 gets all of my hate.

demidar

Just beat it on Revengeance and got the codec trophy too. The more I think about this game I am pretty sure the game is entirely designed around the HF blade and only the HF blade. Every other sub-weapon, secondary weapon, primary weapon are really just bandaids to subvert things you would have to do on your own with the HF blade.

You never get the feeling using this stuff that "this was clearly designed to be the optimal way to do this" and more like "I am using this to basically skip something I would otherwise have to do". Using E.M grenades on Monsoon basically skips the hardest part of the fight. The Sai weapon putting some enemies into dizzy just feels like you are skipping them. The pole arm lets you worry less about positioning. The pincer blades just feel... outright broken as far as I can tell. Ripper mode feels completely broken with the pincer blades but with just the HF blade moveset it isn't nearly as much...

I don't think this is bad mind you, I just think this is probably a game that would be more rewarding the more and more you restrict yourself as opposed to Bayonetta where you want to use as much as possible in combat (except like, items - which are essentially labeled as cheats within the games scoring). Nothing in this game is labeled as cheats because I get the feeling that everything outside of the wooden sword and HF blade... are varying degrees of "cheats" from their core design.

Edit: I guess maybe not completely unlike the MGS games, where your "ultimate goal" is to go for very "pure" stealth runs on the higher difficulties.

You'll take what you can get if you're doing an S-rank run, but I used them as compensation for a shitty camera.

Monsoon in my opinion is a terrible boss because he has too many phases where he is invincible like the RP grenade phase and throwing phase. There's no way to knock him out of those phases and they last entirely too long.

You'll take what you can get if you're doing an S-rank run, but I used them as compensation for a shitty camera.

Monsoon in my opinion is a terrible boss because he has too many phases where he is invincible like the RP grenade phase and throwing phase. There's no way to knock him out of those phases and they last entirely too long.

I will probably use everything (outside of the wigs) for the s-rank run. Definitely going to go for some HF Blade/Wooden Sword runs later though.

Yeah Monsoon is fucked because of those boring fucking throwing parts and cutscene interruptions. I am glad Monsoon body double exists so you can fight him without the like 10 pseudo-cutscene interruptions.

At least when the last boss throws shit at you, there is some mild tension knowing that if you fuck up you will lose an entire life bar. With Monsoon it is like having a cutscene before the boss throws candy bars at you.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
She sucks.

I know I posted this same response last time you said something, but fuck it:

No.

Sunny's demeanor this outing is a lot more upbeat and more "child-like" joy instead of depressed "Patriots made me an adult. :(" depression. It's nice.

demidar

No.

Sunny's demeanor this outing is a lot more upbeat and more "child-like" joy instead of depressed "Patriots made me an adult. :(" depression. It's nice.

Sunny's speaking lines were fine, but that super girly laugh I could do without.

SiteSeer

It's actually just some odd glitch. If you destroy the barbwire barricade at the beginning of the bridge, then you'll die when you get to the end. Jump over it and you'll live. I tested it out a little while ago by randomly alternating between destroying the barricade and jumping over it.

wow if true. because the other night i died like two dozen times doing the bridge because everytime i'd power slide thru it and destroy it, then die at the last jump. in the back of my mind, i was thinking 'it can't be because i'm destroying this barricade'.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
HNNNG just beat it on hard, my first run. Dat fucking final boss, got in with no paste, 2/3 of my ~50 continues just for him. And suddenly that blade mode segment clicked and I wasted him.
Going straight to very hard. I had no idea how useful the dodge is until about mission 5, and I didn't open any blue boxes, since I thought this is some NG+ stuff or something, so yeah, LETS DO THIS

MCD

No.

She sucks. Deal with it, Seks.

I don't need SUPER DERP GENIUS LOLI in my vidya games. Got enough of that shit in my anime and manga.

FrankWza

if you beat the game on hard and very hard, but dont get all the chips. but then get all the chips on a normal play through do you still get blade mode wig?

also, i threw up a grey fox ps3 code in the b/s/t if anyone wants.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
She's doing what she loves, and that makes her happy. What's the problem?

Her development feels......artificial?

I can definitely understand where people are coming from, with her going from an introvert with low self esteem in MGS4 to.....a Paz level anime cliche between games.
but I don't really mind it myself.

ZeroRay

She sucks. Deal with it, Seks.

I don't need SUPER DERP GENIUS LOLI in my vidya games. Got enough of that shit in my anime and manga.

You saw that transition from Sunny to the security guard oogling loli girls, right? Platinum knew what some of their audience was thinking.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Sunny lives up to her namesake here ^-^

And she shakes Wolf's paw! How can you not like that?
Wolf is a good judge of character.

I trust his instincts, so Sunny's cool with me.

Finished my Revengeance S-Rank run. No Damaged every ranked fight with the exception of boss GRAD (push back phase, second phase was No Damage), the elevator lobby and second Monsoon.

Elevator lobby is just too much hassle to even attempt a No Damage on and second Monsoon I was too frustrated to want to retry it only for Monsoon to ruin my work on Mistral.

Sundowner I passed thanks to luck finally playing out. Had to take out the Hammerhead first then avoid his armour and then used a charged Sai, launched him, 5 hits in air, Sai, 5 hits, Sai...repeat (with Ripper mode activated) and thankfully the second Hammerhead spawn didn't manage to shoot me. Took me a number of tries to get this method to work. Stray bullets...ugh!

Armstrong was another case of pray and hope for the best. His charge punch is pretty much what I was relying on for good damage. His gold dash is too annoying to 100% dodge. Sadly had to do this fight again as I took just over 8 and half minutes and lost points because of it, resulting in an A. Did it again and got 8 minutes 2 seconds but thankfully got extra BP to net the S.

What a fun and very frustrating ride doing this. I saved my Cyborg Ninja skin for this. Definitely makes it a bit easier due to the near 1 hit Fox Blade can do, but I refused to use any wigs, except the lobby fight which I swear would be impossible otherwise.

Now for the VR mission retries...

Wolf is a good judge of character.

I trust his instincts, so Sunny's cool with me.

Wolf was my surprise for this game.. good conversation and good attitude.
When he gave me the sword ... i wanted to say "good dog" out loud but i was too angry at the last boss so i said "i'll now kick your ass" instead

The dialogue at the end of the demo was tragic and moving for me. It may have been corny... but I certainly felt bad for LQ-84i.

So glad his AI was salvaged. My fave character

Finished my Revengeance S-Rank run. No Damaged every ranked fight with the exception of boss GRAD (push back phase, second phase was No Damage), the elevator lobby and second Monsoon.

Elevator lobby is just too much hassle to even attempt a No Damage on and second Monsoon I was too frustrated to want to retry it only for Monsoon to ruin my work on Mistral.

Sundowner I passed thanks to luck finally playing out. Had to take out the Hammerhead first then avoid his armour and then used a charged Sai, launched him, 5 hits in air, Sai, 5 hits, Sai...repeat (with Ripper mode activated) and thankfully the second Hammerhead spawn didn't manage to shoot me. Took me a number of tries to get this method to work. Stray bullets...ugh!

Armstrong was another case of pray and hope for the best. His charge punch is pretty much what I was relying on for good damage. His gold dash is too annoying to 100% dodge. Sadly had to do this fight again as I took just over 8 and half minutes and lost points because of it, resulting in an A. Did it again and got 8 minutes 2 seconds but thankfully got extra BP to net the S.

What a fun and very frustrating ride doing this. I saved my Cyborg Ninja skin for this. Definitely makes it a bit easier due to the near 1 hit Fox Blade can do, but I refused to use any wigs, except the lobby fight which I swear would be impossible otherwise.

Now for the VR mission retries...

If you want to no damage the elevator lobby and you aren't against using Wigs it's very easy. Start the battle by equipping the first wig (this is what you'll use for all of the battle). Now when the battle begins run straight ahead and quickly equip homing missiles. Shoot the enemies on the left and right platform and then use the glass barrier in front of you as cover. Shoot missiles over the barrier at the enemy on the left and you'll destroy one of the flying enemies when they spawn. Turn your attention to the flying enemies and you should be abl to shoot all three (or four, I can't remember) down before any shield enemies reach you. Perfect parry the first shield enemy and Zandatsu him at which point the soldiers on the flying enemies will have reached you. Ninja run to them and when they reload Zandatsu them from a slide (important to note, do not EVER go on the stairs or you'll be shot and have to restart). Continue destroying the shield enemies and eventually you'll be left with gun-wielding enemies in the lobby. After you shoot them with missiles, over the glass barrier, more projectile enemies will spawn. Shoot both raised enemies to get them onto the floor and then simply send missiles over the glass barrier to slowly destroy them (it takes about six missiles to destroy one enemy if I recall correctly), concentrating your fire on any missile-wielding enemies who are your greatest threat. With only two remaining (I think) that'll spawn the greatest challenge, the Mastifas.

The Mastifas begin the battle with their wall-jump attack so you really need to parry them correctly. Use ripper mode to destroy them as quickly as possible and, once you've defeated them, finish off the main challenge by sending missiles over the glass barrier to defeat the remaining enemies. Now, the GRAD is difficult if you don't react to it quickly. As the last soldier dies (before the GRAD spawns) equip EMP grenades and start throwing them into the centre of the lobby. When the GRAD spawns it'll get caught by it and, from there, you've secured victory if all goes correctly. When it gets stunned by the EMP grenade, blade mode cancel to equip the RPG/Homing Missile and shoot it before blade mode cancelling to equip the EMP grenade. Repeat this cycle and you'll be able to successfully defeat the GRAD (it takes a large amount of missiles so you'll be doing this for a few minutes). I don't know how to do it without the wigs though (if it's even possible).

For second Monsoon you can be fortunate (due to the arena size) and manage to get a perfect parry on him which takes a considerable amount of life away but repeating the normal Monsoon strategy works very well; he definitely isn't as difficult as the original. If you managed to No-Damage everything else I definitely recommend just trying to finish it off as it isn't as challenging as it may initially seem.

ASIS

DAMN YOU
SENATOR

any tips? also, is there anyway I can lock on to him? The camera is such a pain in this fight.

chrono01

Blade Wolf is, quite possibly, my favorite new gaming character of this generation.

When Blade Wolf gives Raiden
Sam's Sword/Murasama
and the ending section of "I'm My Own Master Now" kicks in...I get chills. Every. Single. Time.

Speaking of...

WE NEED A BOSS RUSH MODE!

I know it's been mentioned many times already, but after listening to the Vocal Tracks CD I get a massive need/want to replay the boss fights.

I'm almost tempted to create different save partitions at my favorite boss fights, namely Mistral and Monsoon.

Oh, and of course
The Senator

She's doing what she loves, and that makes her happy. What's the problem?

it's not like her interests changed from MGS4 onward. you can't go from a wreck to some happy-go-lucky girlie amid a warzone. raideeeeeen, you just ravaged 15 soldiers, cheer up!

she will be an idol by MGR 3.

Her development feels......artificial?

I can definitely understand where people are coming from, with her going from an introvert with low self esteem in MGS4 to.....a Paz level anime cliche between games.
but I don't really mind it myself.

that is correct.

MCD

DAMN YOU
SENATOR

any tips? also, is there anyway I can lock on to him? The camera is such a pain in this fight.

RT (Xbox 360)

I stayed near him and instead of parrying, I just dodged like a boss (X+A and left stick).

Slash slash, dodge dodge

Didn't bother with the boulders because fuck I ain't wasting my time on this shit so I ran away from them.

Had a bit of trouble with his final phase (healing) but it's not bad.

Blade Wolf is, quite possibly, my favorite new gaming character of this generation.

When Blade Wolf gives Raiden
Sam's Sword/Murasama
and the ending section of "I'm My Own Master Now" kicks in...I get chills. Every. Single. Time.
Yeah, that was pretty intense stuff.

The final showdown in general is just superb. The boss theme gives such a crazy pump.

Nibel

For those who don't know: before the Monsoon fight, when he talks to you and you are able to pan the camera - look to the soldier on your right :)

Top Bottom