• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Neiteio

For those who don't know: before the Monsoon fight, when he talks to you and you are able to pan the camera - look to the soldier on your right :)
Yeah, this surprised me, ha! Really cute Easter egg... You have to watch the soldier at length. :)

Korigama

I can imagine why some people are baffled with it, with the possible glitch and all, but what worked for me is just don't try to cut or jump anything and just ninja run the whole time. Thats it.
Ninja running through the whole thing usually just gets me killed (I've never once cut through the barricade, either, and don't bother cutting cars). The only way I usually manage this is to start jumping forward after passing cars, and even then I don't have it down perfectly.

Admittedly, I have just as many problems with running down the building in the prologue, which I've only done in a single take once and only once when I first started playing. It used to be because of running into a plasma beam or a missile, but now it's a result of missing a step on the building itself and just failing on the spot (still don't have the pattern down for how to just jump down the building properly to avoid all of these issues).

The only one of these setpieces that doesn't seem to have any weird problems is
running up the World Marshal building in R-04
. Actually being able to see where you're going helps, in its case.

Jintor

Died once on the bridge on very hard because I didn't start running the instant the scene began

Sunny is baller.

Blade Wolf is baller, so is his song

Ninja running through the whole thing usually just gets me killed (I've never once cut through the barricade, either, and don't bother cutting cars). The only way I usually manage this is to start jumping forward after passing cars, and even then I don't have it down perfectly.

ninja running always worked for me from start to finish. i don't have to do anything else. maybe it's a platform issue? i'm on ps3.

Who was it that said the pincer blade works on the heavies in VR 18? I'm never taking advice from you again.

You have to use them a certain way, but I know what you mean. I stun one of them using the sai, cancel out of the "lasso" move then start attacking the other with the pincers, dodging his attacks mid pincer combo, then continuing until they get knocked down. I switch weapons again then start that over. Having to deal with one at a time just makes it safer.

It's not worth the risk to just use the pincers imo, especially if you've taken any damage by that point. The super-armor minimizes damage, but even the minimal damage can kill you. And if you time your blows incorrectly, it's all over.

Neiteio

Who was it that said the pincer blade works on the heavies in VR 18? I'm never taking advice from you again.
Pincer blades work on pretty much everything. You know the part before you fight Sundowner, where you fight
the Mistral AI and Monsoon AI
? Piece of cake with the pincer blades.

Korigama

ninja running always worked for me from start to finish. i don't have to do anything else. maybe it's a platform issue? i'm on ps3.
PS3 as well in my case. The only thing I can do at this point is to experiment more with paths taken to reach the end, it seems (sticking to the left didn't seem to work, and going down the middle is bound to lead to a car to hop, so I could try going right next time).

charging the second attack of the chain and letting go when one of them is right next to you will always knock them out of anything they're trying to do, maybe not immediately on the first hit but definitely before they can hit you. Trying to hit both at the same time is a bit of a crapshoot, though, so charge the first attack and dodge backwards once the attack hits, there should be no way they can catch you unless you've been sloppy about eliminating the dwarf gekkos. Once there's only one left you can go wild, which is why it's super helpful if the laserwolf manages to hit one with a friendly-fire kunai at the beginning of the wave.

Pincers are definitely the best weapon for most of the VR missions, since you don't have to worry about getting a no-damage bonus and it's the best armor-breaking weapon you're allowed.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
"I'm so worried Raiden :)"

I know you changed your avatar's colors to reflect Raiden's, but I find it hilarious that these are pretty close to Iron man's current colors in Marvel NOW.

Riposte

Blade Wolf is, quite possibly, my favorite new gaming character of this generation.

When Blade Wolf gives Raiden
Sam's Sword/Murasama
and the ending section of "I'm My Own Master Now" kicks in...I get chills. Every. Single. Time.

Just one part of the equation why the cutscenes during the final boss are like the best ever for a final boss. Every cutscene had GOLD in it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
She sucks. Deal with it, Seks.

I don't need SUPER DERP GENIUS LOLI in my vidya games. Got enough of that shit in my anime and manga.

That's just like... your (wrong) opinion, man.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I

Don't like the VR missions in this game

like at all

not even a frustration thing. I loved the VR missions in 2

I just don't think the majority of them are fun ways to play the game

Glad the DLC is free initially because I sure as hell wouldn't pay money for more of these

ezekial45

Banned
I

like at all

Glad the DLC is free initially because I sure as hell wouldn't pay money for more of these

I kinda agree. I don't hate them, but I don't like how plain they are. I liked how quirky the VR missions in the past games were. I'm glad they're bringing that back in the DLC.

I

like at all

I think most of them are pretty fun. I even like 18. But I do think the subweapon ones suck (especially the last one).

I

like at all

I'm not a fan of the earlier ones that are more about completing the levels with near perfect timing, but I started having plenty of fun with the later ones. Namely 18 and 19.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
^ Agreed. I barely see anyone complain about that early grenade VR mission, but that was probably one of the worst for me.

I'd rather do 18 or 19 over again any day.

The VR missions range from soul crushingly awful to okay. I think my favorite ones are the "stealth kill" ones where you try to find an optimal route (due to their being absolutely no randomness to them). The sub weapon ones... oh my god... AWFUL.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I think most of them are pretty fun. I even like 18. But I do think the subweapon ones suck (especially the last one).

I don't mind the combat ones really. Or even the stealth ones to some extent

like this isn't VR mission 18 rage or anything

but ones like 15 and the other Race to the goal missions aren't interesting at all. They don't challenge your understanding of the game mechanics in any interesting way. They're just about finding the secret pathway/hidden method and then hoping you don't get dicked by rocket launcher dudes or your own ninja run.(it's like the stages are designed so that it craps out and raiden jumps into bottomless pits. I'd rather it not be automated if it's not going to find the correct jump consistently)

and like you said the subweapon ones are a bore.

Idk this is the same thing that happened to me with Vanquish. I loved the core game but then the nature of the trials really burnt me out on the game. Permanently .(can't even finish a playthrough now)

I kinda feel like the same thing will happen to me with Rising. I'm not thinking "this is fun" or "GODDAMMIT ONE MORE TRY SHIT" while playing so much as I find myself looking at the clock and thinking "I wonder when 101 and Bayo 2 are comin out" lol

Oh well. 5 more to go.

I kinda agree. I don't hate them, but I don't like how plain they are. I liked how quirky the VR missions in the past games were. I'm glad they're bringing that back in the DLC.

That probably has alot to do with it too. I felt the same thing about Vanquish's challenges. No flavor.

I really wish they weren't coming out next week. I feel like I need some distance between those and the ones in the base game in order to enjoy the new set to the fullest.

RangerBAD

So, guys, I've got some good news and some bad news (for me at least). First, the good news. I finished the VR trophies and only have one trophy left to attain!

Now the bad news. In my elation of getting the VR trophies, I accidentally started a new game and wiped out all my scores and customizations. Also, the last trophy I need is the customization one. So now I need to beat the game for the 6th time, and on Very Hard, to unlock all the wigs and the suit. The record of my Revengeance S rank run is gone too. All I have is the trophy to prove it (put that on a t-shirt).

DawsonCry.gif

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
So, guys, I've got some good news and some bad news (for me at least). First, the good news. I finished the VR trophies and only have one trophy left to attain!

Now the bad news. In my elation of getting the VR trophies, I accidentally started a new game and wiped out all my scores and customizations. Also, the last trophy I need is the customization one. So now I need to beat the game for the 6th time, and on Very Hard, to unlock all the wigs and the suit. The record of my Revengeance S rank run is gone too. All I have is the trophy to prove it (put that on a t-shirt).

You can get the Naked and Unloved title now!

Vanquish's tactical challenges were awesome. Tactical Challenge 6 is the highlight of the game probably.

Different strokes etc.

I beat it. Didn't get the trophy. Now lack the motivation to ever get anywhere in that game again.

but I typically don't like TPS so that probably has more to do with it than anything

RangerBAD

What a shame

I mean, I think the game is awesome. I just wanted to finish up for the DLC on Tuesday and focus on that. I think I'm just angry at myself.

Will the Konami code unlock all the difficulties on the Chapter screen or do you have to start a New Game?

zainetor

Banned
Her development feels......artificial?

I can definitely understand where people are coming from, with her going from an introvert with low self esteem in MGS4 to.....a Paz level anime cliche between games.
but I don't really mind it myself.

four years is a lot of time and if you do something that you like and at the same time you're good at, your self esteem will grow a lot.
but I understand the hate, too much animu bullshit in that soolis base.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
four years is a lot of time and if you do something that you like and at the same time you're good at, your self esteem will grow a lot.

Yeah, and not to mention that kids change... like, a lot in a few years time.

Urg, my condolences.

maks

Never had an issue with the camera in my Hard and Very Hard playthroughs. But now that i'm trying to get top score on the VR Missions it is a huge and frustrating problem. All i need is 18 and 19 but the camera is screwing me so bad!!!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

There's a difference between developing self esteem and becoming a charismatic and effective project leader for NASA

Yeah, and not to mention that kids change... like, a lot in a few years time.

Not like that.

I mean I know she's supposed to be a child prodigy and even more than that it's a video game and even more than that it's fucking metal gear

but even when considering all those things it doesn't feel like a natural development for the character from MGS4, so much as a forced cameo appearance because people love that shit in these games.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Not like that.

I mean I know she's supposed to be a child prodigy and even more than that it's a video game and even more than that it's fucking metal gear

but even when considering all those things it doesn't feel like a natural development for the character from MGS4, so much as a forced cameo appearance because people love that shit in these games.

I don't know about that. They definitely tried to give her character a huge departure because she was terrible in MGS4 and it wouldn't fit the tone of this game, but I don't see how it's that unrealistic.

Sunny went from age 6 to 10. That's a huge jump. Even adults change a lot in four years. A kid is hardly even the same person in the span of that time. Not to mention, wasn't she pretty recently rescued in MGS4? It would make a lot of sense for her to be reclusive and without friends.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know about that. They definitely tried to give her character a huge departure because she was terrible in MGS4 and it wouldn't fit the tone of this game, but I don't see how it's that unrealistic.

Sunny went from age 6 to 10. That's a huge jump. Even adults change a lot in four years. A kid is hardly even the same person in the span of that time. Not to mention, wasn't she pretty recently rescued in MGS4? It would make a lot of sense for her to be reclusive and without friends.

She was rescued 3 years prior to the start of MGS4 I believe

and whatever I don't want to talk about it further. Don't even want to look at the game right now with this last subweapon mission lol

zainetor

Banned
There's a difference between developing self esteem and becoming a charismatic and effective project leader for NASA

nanomachines, son. Ask the patriots for info :D
It's metal geat nonsense, like in 4, when she wrote that program that destroyed the patriots AI. That was totally insanely bullshit, she was 7 in 4.

RangerBAD

She was rescued 3 years prior to the start of MGS4 I believe

and whatever I don't want to talk about it further. Don't even want to look at the game right now with this last subweapon mission lol

Worst one was the grenade VR mission. The other, with the Raptors, was frustrating but didn't take me as many tries.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
nanomachines, son. Ask the patriots for info :D
It's metal geat nonsense, like in 4, when she wrote that program that destroyed the patriots AI. That was totally insanely bullshit, she was 7 in 4.

At least we agree on that

Worst one was the grenade VR mission. The other, with the Raptors, was frustrating but didn't take me as many tries.

Nah. that one was fine

this one has rocket launcher dudes

and I'm pretty sure at this point I'm passionately racist towards rocket launcher dudes

I jump up to take them off the high ground, but when I do a quickthrow grenade it like, auto locks on another enemy and throws it in a completely different direction. Allowing rocket launcher dude to blast me off the platform

Just not in the mood. I'll get the trophy in the morning

BY2K

Membero Americo
What should I do first between the VR missions and the Revengeance S run?

I want to do the hardest of the 2 last.

RangerBAD

At least we agree on that

Nah. that one was fine

this one has rocket launcher dudes

and I'm pretty sure at this point I'm passionately racist towards rocket launcher dudes

I jump up to take them off the high ground, but when I do a quickthrow grenade it like, auto locks on another enemy and throws it in a completely different direction. Allowing rocket launcher dude to blast me off the platform

Just not in the mood. I'll get the trophy in the morning

I found it effective to use the quick Homing Missiles, just as I land on their perch. Usually throws them down, then I get them again when I drop down.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Very Hard R-04.
Body Double Monsoon
THE REAL REVENGEANCE STARTS HERE.

Holy crap, did they double the frame rate for that fight? All of a sudden
smoke attack and you have to parry faster than the normal Monsoon fight

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I am pro-Sunny. Fight me.

You know what

Fuck this war

I just want you dead

I found it effective to use the quick Homing Missiles, just as I land on their perch. Usually throws them down, then I get them again when I drop down.

Yeah I just wanted to lob them out since I had them equipped

Gonna try that method and just save the nades for the gekko initially

Neiteio

That's kind of the point, though. In Rising, they allude to the fact the Patriots' work on Sunny made her a genius at a young age. Hence she could write things such as the Patriot-destroying code -- an irony Raiden notes in one of the codec calls, actually.

Also, seeing the guy who lost progress by accidentally selecting New Game -- we should all make backup copies of our files to the second save slot.

Probably a good habit, given how easy they made it to accidentally erase your progress. :-\

RangerBAD

You know what

Fuck this war

I just want you dead

Yeah I just wanted to lob them out since I had them equipped

Gonna try that method and just save the nades for the gekko initially

Yeah, save them for the Gekko and Raptors.

That's kind of the point, though. In Rising, they allude to the fact the Patriots' work on Sunny made her a genius at a young age. Hence she could write things such as the Patriot-destroying code -- an irony Raiden notes in one of the codec calls, actually.

Also, seeing the guy who lost progress by accidentally selecting New Game -- we should all make backup copies of our files to the second save slot.

Probably a good habit, given how easy they made it to accidentally erase your progress. :-\

I had a backup, but I deleted it earlier since it was way back on the last part of Armstrong on Revengeance. After I did that, I worked on all the annoying VR missions. No way I was doing that shit again. Even if I had the trophy, I'd need the Long Sword for the customization trophy and also the Yellow armor.

TP

Finally done

My only regret is not looking up the titles sooner and doing Naked and unloved before I started S ranking. I'll continue playing on a 76/77 save file because I like seeing my ranks and there's no way i'm ever playing the terrible lobby fight in R-05 again.

Top Bottom