• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

I was making really confidence-building progress on Virtually a God.

But then I got to mission 007.

I can rank 2 easily enough, but the third and fourth waves do not fuck around.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Finally done

My only regret is not looking up the titles sooner and doing Naked and unloved before I started S ranking. I'll continue playing on a 76/77 save file because I like seeing my ranks and there's no way i'm ever playing the terrible lobby fight in R-05 again.

Much respect. Nicely done!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Finally done

My only regret is not looking up the titles sooner and doing Naked and unloved before I started S ranking. I'll continue playing on a 76/77 save file because I like seeing my ranks and there's no way i'm ever playing the terrible lobby fight in R-05 again.

Nice

S ranking Very Hard looks like a harder feat than Revengeance

Zaki2407

Just finished the game. Wow, what a ride. The last boss was hard though but it was a fantastic battle. I demand a sequel Konami/Platinum!! MGR2 on next gen hardware is going to be insane ^_^

i hate how much gimmicks you have to use to S rank on revengeance. picking up health items, artificially build combos etc. really brought my experience down. they didn't put too much work into this apparently.

i finished it all, but i can't say im thoroughly satisfied with the outcome. i felt the same regarding VR. some good, some bad, some really annoying. only attempt this if you can put up with the jank. playing this game on hard and not worrying about score or VR might be the best one can do for pure enjoyment.

just a few trophies left to clean up for next time.

zainetor

Banned
i hate how much gimmicks you have to use to S rank on revengeance. picking up health items, artificially build combos etc. really brought my experience down. they didn't put too much work into this apparently.

Yeah I agree, The ranking system is annoying. If you have to play just to get s-ranks, it's not funny. The only things that should matter are: time, combos(not too long) and how many times You get hit. Zandatsus and Bp should not be so important.

JEKKI

I played this game for like 3 hours already

and aw maaaan why is cutting off arms the hardest thing to do?!?!?!

seriously... it's more difficult than fighting >_<

TheOGB

Banned

Ninja Run > slide > Zandatsu horizontal slice was helpful for me, but it didn't work 100% of the time unfortunately.

Roto13

If you stealth kill someone from behind, they stretch their arms out as they fall, so you can pretty easily cut off an arm by following it up with blade mode.

Kard8p3

I have a question regarding the taking no damage on bosses trophies. If I'm fighting Mistral and get to the first checkpoint without getting hit but then get hit soon after can I just restart from that checkpoint and still get the trophy or do I have to do it in one go?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I have a question regarding the taking no damage on bosses trophies. If I'm fighting Mistral and get to the first checkpoint without getting hit but then get hit soon after can I just restart from that checkpoint and still get the trophy or do I have to do it in one go?

Yes. You can restart each phase without problems. Careful not to get hit and then not notice because you picked up a health item.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
After a two and a half hour session I finally finished VR Missions 17 and 19. Just 18 to go.

19 is probably the least fun thing ever. It's completely a battle of attrition and there's tons of little ways to screw it up (cutting off a single arm causes them to die instantly) and if you screw up then fuck you start the 10 minutes of unfun over again.

Hypron

How do you make Sundowner call back-up? I'm in the second stage of the fight and he always die before making a call for back-up >.> I need those zandatsus!

Done. Finished in two sittings. Dat difficulty spike on the last boss. I'd only died in combat twice up to that point.

It was a pretty good game. I'm glad I only borrowed it though. The camera was terrible, especially since your main defensive option relies on its position. Story was a buzz kill. I had to skip all the codec convos near the end because I just didn't care. Only parts I really remember are the boss battles. Such bland level design.

Fun combat though. I'll look forward to a sequel.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
This game is too awesome, I am disappointed in myself that I let the demo hinder my expectations but I finally picked it up so all is good. The boss music in this game... I want that soundtrack NOW.

Speaking of the demo, I wonder why they went with the first half of mission 2, if they had put the first half of mission 1, it would have made me buy it day 1, seriously that boss fight, you know that feel.

Hypron

Finally!

1362914173-weee.png

The final form of the final boss was so simple to no-damage. I did it on my 4th try (during my first 3 tries I got hit at the really beginning). Parrying his charge attacks does so much damage it's not even funny (I was wearing the red armour so he would lose 70/80% health with just one of these). I reckon he's even easier on revengeance than on hard mode. Getting the required zandatsus on the
excelsus
fight was a bitch though (
although, did you know you could take it down to 13% health when its head is down? Ripper mode + lvl 2 and 3 charged pincer attacks... That made the last part of the fight a walk in the part, since I just had to hit its foot once to finish the fight
).

Overall, I really really enjoyed the game. I played through it 5 times (hard, very hard, revengeance, hard, revengeance with S ranks) and even though I got bloody frustrated at times (the body doubles were HORRIBLE), I really liked the experience.

Here's my final score board:

For now though, I'll take a break from videogames for at least a month.

Thanks to everyone that helped along the line!

demidar

Finally!

1362914173-weee.png

The final form of the final boss was so simple to no-damage. I did it on my 4th try (during my first 3 tries I got hit at the really beginning). Parrying his charge attacks does so much damage it's not even funny (I was wearing the red armour so he would lose 70/80% health with just one of these). I reckon he's even easier on revengeance than on hard mode. Getting the required zandatsus on the
excelsus
although, did you know you could take it down to 13% health when its head is down? Ripper mode + lvl 2 and 3 charged pincer attacks... That made the last part of the fight a walk in the part, since I just had to hit its foot once to finish the fight
).

Overall, I really really enjoyed the game. I played through it 5 times (hard, very hard, revengeance, hard, revengeance with S ranks) and even though I got bloody frustrated at times (the body doubles were HORRIBLE), I really liked the experience.

Here's my final score board:

Congrats, I'll be joining the Platinum club sooner or later, just have to do some boring stuff now. I've already S-ranked Revengeance and finished all the VR missions so the hard part's over.

How do you make Sundowner call back-up? I'm in the second stage of the fight and he always die before making a call for back-up >.> I need those zandatsus!

Found it easier to No Damage him by juggling him in the air in phase 1 and pray the Hammerhead misses me. It worked after a lot of tries!

Ferr986

Well, finally got the codec achievement.
As chrono01 said my problem was that Courtney codecs counted as two between saving and not saving. I got it in on of her saving codecs. Thanks mate.

wow! congrats!

Feindflug

Finally!

1362914173-weee.png

You became Teh Lightning God! Congrats! :)

BTW guys what's your favorite mission? I'm leaning towards File R-03, some really great encounters in there with lots of variety and of course the amazing
Monsoon
fight.

I really love that the game has no stupid gimmicky levels or any other kind of filler, from start to finish it's such a consistent and focused experience that favors replay value....seriously fuck all those length complaints.

Ferr986

Some of you guys are clearly not human. How the fuck did u get platinium on this game lol?

lol yeah, I dont think I can do it too. I mean, I platinumed Bayo's but that seemed way easier. I dont see myself doing a no damage run on Rev for the S rank. I had a lot of problems in VH already and I suck at counters for Rev. mode..

BTW guys what's your favorite mission? I'm leaning towards File R-03

Yep, for me the R03 was the best too.

Sheer will and hard work.

Also, luck in some parts. :p

I honestly believe luck is a huge part for a lot of the encounters. Lots of trial and errors - things that were consistent several times (final boss) ended up changing on the next. It can be pretty random. Throw in a bad camera on higher difficulty levels...luck is a big part in my eyes.

Saying that, this is easily my most favourite game this year, heck, in the last 6 months possibly. It's great fun and I think reviews calling out the duration of the game that negatively impacted the score were unfair. MGS games aren't very long, neither are RE games, yet their replay values are high thanks to the content shoved in and various methods of play. I just don't think it was fair to deduct points for the length when there clearly is a good amount thrown in - weapons, skins, VR missions, titles, difficulties, way of play, easter eggs etc. £35/$40 well spent for me. I'd rather this than the dozens of actions games infested with set pieces and little actual game.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
The platinum trophy is probably hard, but how frustrating is it to get ? That's what I want to know.

I just finished Lightning God, and barring the VR trophies (which are likely another level entirely) I don't think much was frustrating? No damaging
Monsoon
and getting all the codec calls are the only ones that began to annoy me.

...Is it me, or was the second to last boss a far bigger pain to S-Rank than the last?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
The trophy pack really isn't that hard

Just gotta sit down and do it.

and the VR missions are definitely the most frustrating bit

So i finally finished this game. Holy shit on the last boss.

How on earth do you guys even do a no damage on revengeance? I truly salute you.

What a game. Exhilarating throughout.

I am not sure where to go from him here. I am scared of attempting this game in revengeance mode. Literally :p

VR Missions sort of prove how much luck can factor in.

A rocket launcher enemy that is 100% consistent on their timing the first ten times may fire earlier the eleventh. And then that fucks up your timing every time they do it after that.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Defensive Offense!

Sam?

I meant
Excelsus
. Trying to get the Zandatsu and stuff was a pain as someone mentioned above, while as long as you no damage the last boss S-rank seems almost guaranteed.

That being said, no boss is anywhere near as difficult as those bloody gorillas. Fuck Mastiffs.

excelsus
).

yea, i even got him down to 10% with 2 charged pincer and 2 stinger attacks. it doesn't go below.

congrats.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Was playing Monsoon for the first time last night, and despite being 5 drinks into an evening, managed to get 10 parries in a row to deflect one of his barrages.

That was very gratifying.

demidar

The only trophy I have left to do is "kill 100 heavily armed cyborgs in the campaign", so should I just farm R-07 and does it require a chapter finish to trigger? Are heavily armed cyborgs Hammer Bros. or does it include captains as well?

RangerBAD

I meant
Excelsus
. Trying to get the Zandatsu and stuff was a pain as someone mentioned above, while as long as you no damage the last boss S-rank seems almost guaranteed.

That being said, no boss is anywhere near as difficult as those bloody gorillas. Fuck Mastiffs.

Need a 100-hit combo for the last boss too. And, yeah, Mastiffs are the trolls of this game and dwarf gekkos in VR-18.

omfg I'm Virtually a God apparently. ;)

Now I just need to upgrade all teh swords and then do some other stuff.

You're where I was before I fucked up and started a New Game and lost all my BP, difficulty unlocks and customizations.

Does anyone know if the Konami Code works for the Chapters sections of the game or just in New Game?

Torraz

So, what boss theme do you guys like the most? I think all of them are good, but I think I do prefer Blade Wolf's.

I really want to replay the game, but some scenes, mostly those including mastiffs (like the R-04 elevator fight) I'm not sure I want to repeat :(.

Top Bottom