• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Llyranor

I've seen some people say this game is closer to Ninja Gaiden than Devil May Cry so take that for what you will. But I've never played the NG games before so I can't say for sure.

Yeah, it feels more like NG, with a sprinkle of Bayonetta (parrying and dodge offset). But it's really its own unique game.

RangerBAD

I've seen some people say this game is closer to Ninja Gaiden than Devil May Cry so take that for what you will. But I've never played the NG games before so I can't say for sure.

Before playing it, I thought the same, but after playing it I wouldn't say it's too NG-like. It's pretty unique. It has a blend a lot of things.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It definitely uses Ninja Gaiden as a base. Probably why I like it.

XOF

Neo Member
Tell me about it; I'm right now playing this part on "Very Hard" and try to take no damage

Monsoon aka the soul rapist, DAMN

I couldn't agree more. I've got all of the "no damage" boss trophies except Monsoon's. For the life of me, I can't seem to time the parries well enough. It's especially frustrating when you're too close to his RP grenades when they go off and it damages you a little.

After that, I've still got four more of the VR missions to complete. They're the ones I'm really stressing over.

RangerBAD

I couldn't agree more. I've got all of the "no damage" boss trophies except Monsoon's. For the life of me, I can't seem to time the parries well enough. It's especially frustrating when you're too close to his RP grenades when they go off and it damages you a little.

After that, I've still got four more of the VR missions to complete. They're the ones I'm really stressing over.

When he starts to spin his Sai and he puts them away (usually says something too), then he's going to use RP grenade. Defensive offense out of the way. That's how I did it. You should be using Dodge Offset with Pincers anyhow.

The Lamp

I spent 2 hours on the third boss fight,
Sundowner
alone. Playing on hard mode. Holy crap guys. I finally figured out that the fight was MUCH easier if you just use the control stick instead of the face buttons to slash.

That fight was just incredible.

Torraz

Sundowner
alone. Playing on hard mode. Holy crap guys. I finally figured out that the fight was MUCH easier if you just use the control stick instead of the face buttons to slash.

Also,
you can cut the missiles for repair kits, at least on normal

RangerBAD

Sundowner

Start practicing manual cuts. It'll help in the long run.

Also,
you can cut the missiles for repair kits, at least on normal

Can always do that. :D

Nibel

About RP grenades: I found out a strategy that makes him not even throw them in the first place; give him a few hits with your sword, don't be greedy, and NINJA RUN AWAY like a coward :lol He will try to follow you and you can slide into him, attack and repeat until he changes his attack patterns again - I never had to play his fucking RP grenade game again this way

Didn't beat him.. will probably try again on "Hard" difficulty since "Very Hard" seems way harder

And I love maxed out Fox Blade + Grey Fox Suit, FUCK YEAH S Ranks all over the place

RangerBAD

About RP grenades: I found out a strategy that makes him not even throw them in the first place; give him a few hits with your sword, don't be greedy, and NINJA RUN AWAY like a coward :lol He will try to follow you and you can slide into him, attack and repeat until he changes his attack patterns again - I never had to play his fucking RP grenade game again this way

Didn't beat him.. will probably try again on "Hard" difficulty since "Very Hard" seems way harder

And I love maxed out Fox Blade + Grey Fox Suit, FUCK YEAH S Ranks all over the place

With the camera, that can leave you pretty open to getting hit by stuff.

Tc91

Gonna go ahead and pick this up.

Which version should I get? 360 or PS3.

I read that 360 has superior FPS is this true?

The Lamp

That's what I heard as well, but it generally stays between 40-60 fps on the PS3 version anyway at pretty much all times.

The cutscenes are also much sharper because of blu-ray.

chrono01

Yup I was looking for it but nothing, I'm pretty sure it's not a boss theme but still...

From that trailer, I can hear:

"Chase" and "A Soul Can't Be Cut".

"Chase" is when he's driving in the car and "A Soul Can't Be Cut" is when he's fighting.

I'm not sure which one you're inquiring about, so I figured I'd list them both.

On the subject, both soundtracks are incredible. I cannot stop listening to them!

chrono01

I mean the one at the beggining.

That would be "Chase", then. :)

Er, are you talking about the song when Raiden is thinking/talking to himself/Boris? If so, that's not "Chase". "Chase" is when the police begin their pursuit.

It's really hard to hear the earlier song with all of the sound effects/speech going on, and it doesn't help that they don't play a whole lot of it. >_<

The section with Blade Wolf, though, is the ending of "I'm My Own Master Now". That much I do know.

Llyranor

Just got to the
Sam
fight, YEAH!

Been loving the boss fights so far. All of them have been awesome. Excellent boss music too.

Apparently 360 does have slightly better framerate, but I can reassure that it hasn't been a problem at all with the PS3 version (even though you notice a little bit of slowdown when it's too hectic - it hasn't impacted gameplay for me). PS3 has better quality cutscenes, and you get VR Missions DLC that will be free to download in the month of March if you live in North America. So, from the sound of it, either version should be fine, just depends what you prefer.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
So, what exactly do you do to dodge in this game? I somehow beat the whole game with just attacks, parries, and ninja run but I always felt like I was missing something, especially with certain enemies that you could not parry.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just got to the
Sam
fight, YEAH!

Been loving the boss fights so far. All of them have been awesome. Excellent boss music too.

Oh, just you wait. The best is yet to come.

So, what exactly do you do to dodge in this game? I somehow beat the whole game with just attacks, parries, and ninja run but I always felt like I was missing something, especially with certain enemies that you could not parry.

You need to buy the Defensive Offense move. It's X+[] on PS3. You can aim the direction Raiden jumps with the control stick.

Uraizen

Banned

Square + X if you're on PS3 and X + A if you're on 360. You need to buy a move called defensive offense.

McNum

1. Buy the Defensive Offense skill
2. Press X+Square or A+X you use it. That's a backdodge. Use the left analog to dodge in a different direction.

If you do it right, you'll see Raiden do a hop and a cheeky sword slash at the same time. For the hop part of it, Raiden is pretty much invincible. You can cancel most things into the dodge, and thanks to the game having dodge offset, you can continue any combo you were in the middle of after the dodge if you want to.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Thanks, I feel pretty dumb now, could have used it during that last boss fight (or any boss fight for that matter) ._.

Guys guess what. My 60gb ps3 has died. Playing rising. My ps3 simply could'nt handle all the awesomeness. Lost all my saves everything. I am pretty bummed now.

fuckin sony. 5th 60 gb ps3 refurb. Hire sony hiring clowns instead of hardware engineers in their depots? God damn it. I cant believe it. The only good thing was i managed to power the ps3 one last time and take the game out before it finally given up the ghost

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Thanks, I feel pretty dumb now, could have used it during that last boss fight (or any boss fight for that matter) ._.
Not your fault, the devs should've made that a core skill instead of an upgrade, it's pretty crucial to the combat and combat variety.

So are the pre-order costumes coming as DLC or are they unlockable in game? (I don't have the game yet)
DLC, if that ever happens.

Ghazi

It was a pre-order costume in Japan.

The MGS4 Raiden costume has been available in NA since launch as DLC.

Sweet! Didn't know that, thanks!

edit: I see it now. 160msp, not bad.

Konami Core had a beta sign up that offered the skin as a free DLC if you made it in. They seem to be done with beta sign ups, but you can still leave your email address. Maybe it's worth a shot?

https://core.konami.com/index

Thanks! I just signed up.

The Lamp

Guys guess what. My 60gb ps3 has died. Playing rising. My ps3 simply could'nt handle all the awesomeness. Lost all my saves everything. I am pretty bummed now.

fuckin sony. 5th 60 gb ps3 refurb. Hire sony hiring clowns instead of hardware engineers in their depots? God damn it. I cant believe it. The only good thing was i managed to power the ps3 one last time and take the game out before it finally given up the ghost

If you decide to fix it, use endless electronics. Google them. They offer lifetime Warranties and repair much cheaper than what Sony charges, along with upgrades and special cleaning services. They fixed my failed blu ray drive and gave me a cleaning/thermal paste upgrade plus lifetime ylod warranty for almost the same price as a single song repair.

Anyway, I can't wait to beat this game tonight. Gosh it is so amazing.

Dave1988

Wow, Sam totally wrecked my shit. I can't parry his attacks for shit. I ate through all my nanopaste to get the bastard. And this is only on Hard lol...

Top Bottom