• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Llyranor

Ok, I think I'm at the final level. Freaking bloody epic. Just got to the part where
Wolf gives Raiden Sam's sword. Wolf is the best character (after Tumbleweed).
Bring it on,
Armstrong!
Let's dance!

But next time! Time for a break, haha.

Dave1988

B1A.jpg

Fuck you, Monsoon.

Time for Sam.

H2Yo

Are you sure you weren't pressing Up+Weak Attack as opposed to Towards+Weak Attack? I only suggest this because the tutorial puts the opponent right in front of you, in the Up direction, and his first attack is coming straight from there, predictable. You have to press the left stick towards an opponent, from Raiden's perspective, which can be from any direction and not just Up.

But then again, maybe your game was glitching out, considering your issue with Sundowner.

Yeah I was pointing toward the enemies and light attacking with no luck. The hardest fight was with Sam; not being able to block was BS hard. My work around was using the sais to close the distance and going nuts on him with ripper mode. Took about 15 tries.

Didn't help that I had no rations.

I recalling shitting on the demo for various reasons, but I ended up loving the full game. I just wish there had been the ability to just re-fight the bosses without having to replay their level. Also, more human-sized bosses.

Iskander

Neo Member
Just beat
Samuel.
Shit's awesome. This is the video game that I've always wanted out of the action genre. It's flashy, fast, violent, over-the-top, ridiculous, and responsive. It makes you feel like a badass (even while B-ranking everything...)!

About that fight:
I have to say, I was little disappointed by the Sam fight - it was quite easy (on Normal), it comes out of nowhere, and Sam doesn't really do anything interesting or crazy. Considering how Sam and Raiden are portrayed as both rivals and kindred spirits, Sam's death was a bit of a let-down.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I recalling shitting on the demo for various reasons, but I ended up loving the full game. I just wish there had been the ability to just re-fight the bosses without having to replay their level. Also, more human-sized bosses.

Huh,
Exelsus
and Ray were only two bosses that weren't human sized. Wolf is shaped differently but is about the size of a person.

Raxus

I am pissed at the
Monsoon and Mistral back to back fight since Monsoon always gets a cheap shot in and the pincers aren't working

Astral

I am pissed at the
Monsoon and Mistral back to back fight since Monsoon always gets a cheap shot in and the pincers aren't working

Yeah that fight was a pain in the ass to S-rank.
A.I. Monsoon is actually harder than regular Monsoon since he instantly switches to each stage. But you don't need to no damage that fight to S-rank it as long as you get a 50 hit combo and about 15 kills against Mistral, and finish both fights quickly.

Finished it last night! I'll preface this by saying that I'm a complete noob when it comes to this particular genre (hence my playing on 'normal').

Anyway, all in all: a solid 7, I say.

RISING:

+ Fundamental mechanics are fun

+ Zandatsu never gets old

+ Everything is ridiculous

+ Likable cast (for the most part; fuck that kid), despite being quite stereotypical and trope-heavy

+ The progressive/procedural soundtrack is a great idea well implemented; as others have said, more games should utilise it

DEFLATING:

- Presentation is sloppy and generally lacking polish (outside of cinematics), i.e. characters popping in, Raiden's walking animation during codecs, etc. That stuff is pretty important to me, so it stuck out quite a bit

- Everything is often too ridiculous

- Environments and colour palette are downright hideous for 90% of the game

- The fight with Sam was heart-breakingly anti-climactic/boring

- Story was largely stupid

- There didn't seem to be much of an incentive to use anything other than the HF blade outside of a want to experiment

- Camera is jank, though not too prevalent

So, yeah. One thing that kinda hit me as the credits rolled was that if I were to allege that I had more fun with the demo than I did the entire game, it would actually not be that much of a stretch.

Upon further consideration, though, I do realise that these games blossom through the pursuit of pain-staking perfection, i.e. 'Revengeance' difficulty. I played the demo quite a bit and I had each encounter down and it was satisfying to be that efficient and swag.

Having played through the entire game now, though, I'm not sure if I can be bothered putting myself through all of that. Had the game resonated more with me, sure, I'd be up for it, but for now, it'll remain a fun, albeit fleeting experience.

Dunk#7

Does anybody else have the problem of motion sickness with this game. I can only play for about 20-30 minutes at a time. I wonder if Dramamine would help?

Is there any way to zoom the camera out a little?

Does anybody else have the problem of motion sickness with this game. I can only play for about 20-30 minutes at a time. I wonder if Dramamine would help?

Is there any way to zoom the camera out a little?

I had no problems with Rising, but I did finally start Vanquish today and that gave me a headache.

Also no you're stuck with the view; welcome to your worst enemy in the game. The camera all up Raiden's ass. Mastiffs are a distant second.

CatPee

Finished it last night! I'll preface this by saying that I'm a complete noob when it comes to this particular genre (hence my playing on 'normal').

You played it wrong. Hard is the Normal for this game.

DEFLATING:

- Presentation is sloppy and generally lacking polish (outside of cinematics), i.e. characters popping in, Raiden's walking animation during codecs, etc. That stuff is pretty important to me, so it stuck out quite a bit

Pop-in is just a part of old hardware and needed to maintain dat 60fps. I do agree on the walking animation, though it was fine if you walked straight instead of diagonally :p.

- Everything is often too ridiculous

Welcome to Metal Gear.

- Environments and colour palette are downright hideous for 90% of the game

Cities gonna city.

- The fight with Sam was heart-breakingly anti-climactic/boring

It's supposed to be like that. He's barely modified. Most of what he could do was pure strength.
Plus you played on Normal.

- Story was largely stupid

Again, welcome to Metal Gear.

- There didn't seem to be much of an incentive to use anything other than the HF blade outside of a want to experiment

Played on Normal.

- Camera is jank, though not too prevalent

Yep.

On another note, my Shinkawa steelbook came in today. Looks so sexy <3

UFRA

tSH45Fo.jpg

until they update the game? not sure if i want to do the VR, but sam and wolf dlc sounds interesting.

*bows down*

Well done. I totally love this game, and plan to play it through several times again now that I've beat it on Normal. I have the guide, but even with that I'm not sure I have what it takes to master it and platinum this game. I got all the collectibles my first playthrough, so now I can focus more on combat strategies so I'm excited about that.

On another note, my Shinkawa steelbook came in today. Looks so sexy <3

Ha. Yeah, fair enough on all of those.

It does beg that age old question, though: should I have to bump the difficulty to uncover the "true" gaming experience embedded within? Should Platinum not have that sorted already? "Normal" should be just that; the experience as intended, so to speak, but I get that it's different with these games.

And I have played the other Metal Gears from PS1 days onwards. MGR just seemed a bit off/inconsistent tonally. The "Japaneseness" shone through in a more cringe-worthy way.

For no damage trophy on
Senator Armstrong
do I need to not take any damage from
metal gear excelsius
as well or is it just from the
fight on top of it
onward?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, what's the idea for no-damaging
Sundowner
? That stupid defense and having to dodge air missiles seems like it'd be more trouble than it's worth. Abuse the Offensive Dodge I-frames to get around this? I saw Master LL use the P. Blades for it, which seems pretty insane and luck-based with that defensive attack popping out of no where.

*bows down*

Well done. I totally love this game, and plan to play it through several times again now that I've beat it on Normal. I have the guide, but even with that I'm not sure I have what it takes to master it and platinum this game. I got all the collectibles my first playthrough, so now I can focus more on combat strategies so I'm excited about that.

thanks. i think hard is the most fun and balanced mode. but it might be too easy now with upgrades.

No time to take it out. If I do I get attacked by sundowner.

you can rush the helicopter after the first block. he'll be vulnerable to jumps 70% of the time. easy restart if he isn't.

Sundowner
? That stupid defense and having to dodge air missiles seems like it'd be more trouble than it's worth. Abuse the Offensive Dodge I-frames to get around this? I saw Master LL use the P. Blades for it, which seems pretty insane and luck-based with that defensive attack popping out of no where.

The way I did it today was just parry him till
cut all his shield off
the helicopter didn't really bother me, if you see it target you just ninja run around.
After you cut off his shield hes probably the easiest of all the bosses, just go ripper and tear him apart.
You can also try anticipate the shield he has a lot of audio ques.

Llyranor

It does beg that age old question, though: should I have to bump the difficulty to uncover the "true" gaming experience embedded within? Should Platinum not have that sorted already? "Normal" should be just that; the experience as intended, so to speak, but I get that it's different with these games.

And I have played the other Metal Gears from PS1 days onwards. MGR just seemed a bit off/inconsistent tonally. The "Japaneseness" shone through in a more cringe-worthy way.
Normal is for the average player to be able to finish, I guess. If you're a gamer who wants a tougher challenge, picking higher diff available from the start is probably a good pick (since the harder ones are unlockable). For character action games, the 'experience as intended' would be too difficult for the average player, I think.

For the record, that's two people on this page who found the
Sam
fight too easy/anticlimatic on normal. I adored it on hard, particularly BECAUSE it didn't rely on flashes moves/sequences. It was just a pure test of skill, a duel to the death.

Just finished. Fun, but short. I've played Bayonetta so I know Platinum can make meatier games, so Revengeance feels rushed by comparison.

But those boss battles are really clever.

Still, I can't wait to try it on hard.

Nah, I wouldn't suggest veering above Normal for anyone that's not well-versed in the genre's twitch play. Hell, I'm sure most people that tried it on Normal expecting something else entirely found the game too hard, though that does refer mostly to Western audiences. The difficulty change isn't really gonna do anything for you that wouldn't be done the same way in other games of this type (e.g. what some people would consider 'artificial difficulty' I guess). I didn't have trouble going all the way with it because the good generally outweighed the bad, but I've already seen people who were simply frustrated with it for the same reasons they'e frustrated with DMC, Bayonetta, NG, etc., and I wouldn't necessarily fault them for it.

Though, it should be emphasized that if you really get parrying in this game, nothing is really all that bad/hard and you can have a lot of fun with it on the higher difficulties.

As for tone, that seems to be a ymmv sort of deal. MGS was/is silly as hell, but sometimes it may ask you take it seriously and can be creative about it. MGR never asks you to do that, and some people like that too.

Sundowner

Yeah, I used Defensive Offensive to basically hop around him and get a 50+ combo. He won't hit you if you learn the cues. The Helicopter I always took out at the beginning of the fight. It gives you like a minute and a half alone with him, so no cheap shots from it. By the time it's back, I usually had him down to at least 40-30% and could push through to the cutscene trigger. I only ever took out the 2nd helicopter when it was convenient for me. The only thing I had trouble with was that rush attack he does with his shield that explodes, but as long as you don't let any distance sprout up between you and him, he shouldn't do it. Sundowner was definitely the easiest of the Winds to No-Dam for me.

CatPee

Ultimately, difficulty level is a rather mixed bag. You may not have had much difficulty on normal, but it can be different for some people (like that stupid GameRevolution review and the guy playing it).

Normal being the "true" experience mostly applies to other genres, but like you said, it doesn't really in this type of game. Ninja Gaiden, for example, is pretty much meant to be played on the toughest difficulty possible. I find that they sorted it out rather well, with Easy for the people who don't play games regularly, Normal for more casual folks, Hard for the more skilled, and Very Hard/Revengeance for the masochists.

I don't quite understand the Japanese tone like you implied though.
BRRAAAAIIINNNNSSS
is a rather generic plotline and
NANOMACHINES, SON
is just alluding to and mocking MGS4 at the same time.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Sundowner

No time to take it out. If I do I get attacked by sundowner.

I guarantee you that there's enough time to take the chopper out at the start of the fight.

I'm not normally an action game guru, but after going through MGR on Normal, I hopped right into it on Hard, and now I'm on a Very Hard run. You can definitely experience more of the depth of the fighting system on the harder difficulties. On Normal you can basically button-mash and win. I actually didn't even know how to parry until the end of my Normal run. The game is very good at easing you into the harder difficulties, especially if you play Normal first to get some upgrades.

Nah, I wouldn't suggest veering above Normal for anyone that's not well-versed in the genre's twitch play. Hell, I'm sure most people that tried it on Normal expecting something else entirely found the game too hard, though that does refer mostly to Western audiences. The difficulty change isn't really gonna do anything for you that wouldn't be done the same way in other games of this type (e.g. what some people would consider 'artificial difficulty' I guess). I didn't have trouble going all the way with it because the good generally outweighed the bad, but I've already seen people who were simply frustrated with it for the same reasons they'e frustrated with DMC, Bayonetta, NG, etc., and I wouldn't necessarily fault them for it.

Though, it should be emphasized that if you really get parrying in this game, nothing is really all that bad/hard and you can have a lot of fun with it on the higher difficulties.

As for tone, that seems to be a ymmv sort of deal. MGS was/is silly as hell, but sometimes it may ask you take it seriously and can be creative about it. MGR never asks you to do that, and some people like that too.

Yeah, there are challenges to be faced on 'normal' (90% of which existed in the final boss battle for me), so I'm not complaining that it was easy, but it does seem that a few of my complaints are somewhat alleviated by playing on the harder difficulties.

And the parry system I really dig, so maybe I'll throw caution to the wind and give it a shot.

Llyranor

And the parry system I really dig, so maybe I'll throw caution to the wind and give it a shot.
Parry/evade is a skillset that is absolutely essentially for hard, rather than "just something that's there to use if you want to, I guess" (I haven't played on normal so I don't know, but that's what neverknowsbest makes it sound like). You feel like a freaking (lightning) god when you parry/dodge through entire sections (especially against bosses) and survive. I feel like those are the elements that really bring the game into its own.

Parry/evade is a skillset that is absolutely essentially for hard, rather than "just something that's there to use if you want to, I guess" (I haven't played on normal so I don't know, but that's what neverknowsbest makes it sound like). You feel like a freaking (lightning) god when you parry/dodge through entire sections (especially against bosses) and survive. I feel like those are the elements that really bring the game into its own.

Yeah, I was well aware of parrying from the demo, so I was trying to parry the eff out of everything from the get-go. It's super satisfying. I honestly wouldn't mind if the whole game was parrying.

The offensive dodge move annoys me, though (X+A); seems a tad inconsistent in its use.

I just beat it last night. Good lord, I feel like I just played the result of a publisher telling the person/persons that created Apocalypse for X-Men vs. Street Fighter to make an entire game based on MGS.

This is a cool, neat, interesting game. For this to be canon and not just a spinoff is really undermining the quality and statement of what was supposed to be the final chapter in the series (MGS4). I would really hope this is not considered a way to get new fans for the MGS series because they are really missing what the essence of the series is really about. It is something that I can't quit put my finger on, but Rising doesn't have it.

Despite that, I did enjoy the game. It was a bit too frustrating at times and felt like it was meant to frustrate the player rather than give them a satisfying experience. However, it kept me sticking with it the entire way through and I really did like many of the gameplay elements it introduced.

The story was not an MGS story. I am the biggest MGS fan, but I can't put the story in the same tier as 1-4. It was good, but it didn't make any sense to be part of the main storyline.

Another thing, that music. MGS4 had tracks like "Enclosure", "Atonement", "Everything Begins", "Father and Son", etc. etc. This had what sounded like music by any unsigned punk rock bands.

Again, I know I'm being a little tough, but I had really hoped for a real "MGS" with different gameplay as a refreshing change. It wasn't bad by any means. It is actually a good game for what it is. It's just not MGS level to me.

Top Bottom