• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Sephzilla

So for the trophy for killing the human Gekkos. Do you need to do a completely run through story mode and kill them all in one go? It's (somehow) one of the only trophies I haven't gotten yet for my Platinum (that and the codec one)

Parry is not broken. It works 100%. The parry window is different on every difficulty, though.

The game should definitely do a tutorial or a quick bit of info about blade canceling to be able to parry during your animations. blade mode canceling, almost doubles the amount up time you have on just unleashing attacks. Then r1, parry, back to kicking ass.

The biggest problem between this and bayo was they added a step to the defensive actions, where in bayo you could dodge cancel out of everything with a push of a single button.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The game should definitely do a tutorial or a quick bit of info about blade canceling to be able to parry during your animations. blade mode canceling, almost doubles the amount up time you have on just unleashing attacks. Then r1, parry, back to kicking ass.

The biggest problem between this and bayo was they added a step to the defensive actions, where in bayo you could dodge cancel out of everything with a push of a single button.

Oh, nevermind, misread.

Sephzilla

I started at R-00 so I don't really know. Best to check one of those achievement sites.

I've been jumping around and I haven't found a concrete answer, hell even the official guide doesn't really say.

I'll just boot up R-00 on Normal and speed run through it, its not like NG+ on Normal mode takes long now.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I've been jumping around and I haven't found a concrete answer, hell even the official guide doesn't really say.

I'll just boot up R-00 on Normal and speed run through it, its not like NG+ on Normal mode takes long now.

I'm pretty sure I started on R-02 just to pick up collectibles and get the humanoid geckos, and it was fine... just as long as you don't go back to the Chapter Select.

Achievement unlocks as soon as you kill the last one.

Yeah, you don't need to complete a chapter like some other achievements.

Also, I don't think blade mode cancel should explained in a tutorial. It's an advanced technique, which is not necessary to complete the game. It's like saying p* should teach you how to correct doing a triple tetsuzanko in bayo through jump cancel and attack buffering.

Sephzilla

I'm pretty sure I started on R-02 just to pick up collectibles and get the humanoid geckos, and it was fine... just as long as you don't go back to the Chapter Select.

Achievement unlocks as soon as you kill the last one.

K, thanks. I can just speedrun through them and get them all. The only one you really need to be careful about is the one in R-05.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
God, I'm trying to play other games (GoW, Vanquish) and I just want to come back to this- are there any dates for the Sam/Bladewolf DLC?

AJ_Wings

So yeah after finally buying MGR an hour ago and playing until the first time you encounter the Geckos, I can safely say that this is GOTY material so far. Absolutely love it! (I even played the demo more than 10 times already)

The only games that can top MGR this year for are probably DD: Dark Arisen, Metro Last Light, Bioshock Infinite and Last of Us.

Llyranor

Oh man, the
Sam
fight is amazing. Requires
complete mastery of of parrying and evasion
, which I'm not there yet since I'm still stuck at the fight :p

I'm calling it, the
tumbleweed
is the best character in the game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Oh man, the
Sam
fight is amazing. Requires
complete mastery of of parrying and evasion
, which I'm not there yet since I'm still stuck at the fight :p

I'm calling it, the
tumbleweed
is the best character in the game.

What difficulty are you playing on?

I cant wait to start my revengeance playthrough. I'm not having these same difficulty problems i see people talking about in the thread.

I got 4/5 of the no damage trophies with relative ease, all that's left is the
Senator

Dave1988

1D6.jpg

Took me literally the whole friggin' day to get it and I only got an A at the end.

This game....

sogood.k2sic.gif

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Nanomachines, son?

BA
NANAMACHINES! *whack*

I adore this game, and I want kids from that final fight.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
how long is this game? I am thinking about picking this up. Is the storyline good or is it typical PG cheese?

The first playthrough, depending on skill, thoroughness, and difficulty level, will take anywhere from 6-8 hours. And that's really without listening to a lot of the codecs. Then there's VR missions, collectibles, unlockables, and additional difficulties with rebalanced enemy placement/movesets.

The story is a good mesh of KojiPro and Platinum. I definitely think that Metal Gear fans will find something they like, but there's still the over the top flash and flair that you'd come to expect with a Platinum title.

Sephzilla

how long is this game? I am thinking about picking this up. Is the storyline good or is it typical PG cheese?

My first playthrough was about 8 or so hours long, and I didn't listen to a good deal of the codec conversations. So unless you intentionally try to rush through this game your first time through, you'll get a pretty decent playthrough.

Plus, the game is pretty addicting and there's plenty of unlockables.

Fabrik

Banned
So yeah after finally buying MGR an hour ago and playing until the first time you encounter the Geckos, I can safely say that this is GOTY material so far. Absolutely love it! (I even played the demo more than 10 times already)

The only games that can top MGR this year for are probably DD: Dark Arisen, Metro Last Light, Bioshock Infinite and Last of Us.

I felt the same way at first. Better check your expectations just to be safe. But enjoy!

It's an amazing game but it's really short, I listened to most codec conversations and finished the game in about 5 1/2 hours on normal difficulty. I started a new playthrough on hard and it seems like you could finish in like 2-3 hours the second time as the game becomes way too easy with upgraded gear and health (I just beat Mistral in like 15 seconds). It probably has a lot to do with difficulty as well, I'd suggest doing your first playthrough on hard if you want it to last longer.

If you want to 100% the game you'll need a lot more time though. There are quite a few collectibles.

The story is typical MGS cheese without the usual melodrama. ;-)

Hey, you stole my avatar!

Sephzilla

I love the shit out of this game too, but it's going to be forgotten come GOTY season later this year. Bioshock, GTA5, & Last of Us are probably going to be heavy hitters in that field.

Finished this yesterday, didn't anyone else feel that something was missing when
Raiden falls out of the Helicopter after fighting the stealth bombers? One moment he was falling and Dok salutes him in remembrance and then the next level he is on the ground ready to go. No explanation what happened.

Also I had a few bugs. When fighting the Boss with the scissors, he was invisible other than his eyes and forehead.
The other thing was block/parry was broken, it would only work 5% of the time, literally. It was easy to do and worked 100% of time in the tutorial and VR missions but in the action game, it just wouldn't engage.

This made ALL the bosses extremely hard. My work around was the dodge strike (A and X with side direction) to circle strafe them.

Either it was a joke because he's a cyborg and wouldn't die, or he honestly thought he'd die it. Maybe calling him right after would sort it out?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Finished this yesterday, didn't anyone else feel that something was missing when
Raiden falls out of the Helicopter after fighting the stealth bombers? One moment he was falling and Dok salutes him in remembrance and then the next level he is on the ground ready to go. No explanation what happened.

Also I had a few bugs. When fighting the Boss with the scissors, he was invisible other than his eyes and forehead.
The other thing was block/parry was broken, it would only work 5% of the time, literally. It was easy to do and worked 100% of time in the tutorial and VR missions but in the action game, it just wouldn't engage.

This made ALL the bosses extremely hard. My work around was the dodge strike (A and X with side direction) to circle strafe them.

Are you sure you weren't pressing Up+Weak Attack as opposed to Towards+Weak Attack? I only suggest this because the tutorial puts the opponent right in front of you, in the Up direction, and his first attack is coming straight from there, predictable. You have to press the left stick towards an opponent, from Raiden's perspective, which can be from any direction and not just Up.

But then again, maybe your game was glitching out, considering your issue with Sundowner.

Raxus

Dude. EFF that part. That for me was the single most annoying part of my Revengeance run.

It is seriously the one sour fight in a game full of memorable ones.

How about we make a whole fight a turret sequence (which are useless on revengence) and remove the possibility of the player going down and slicing up the enemy?

I want to slap whoever thought this was a good idea. It is hard enough to pass it let alone S rank it.

Sephzilla

It is seriously the one sour fight in a game full of memorable ones.

How about we make a whole fight a turret sequence (which are useless on revengence) and remove the possibility of the player going down and slicing up the enemy?

I want to slap whoever thought this was a good idea. It is hard enough to pass it let alone S rank it.

Yeah, it's really the only poorly structured fight in the game. Thankfully you can pretty easily bypass it so long as you're not going for S Rank.

OmahaG8

Soooooo. I just beat the game (everyone knows it's amazing) but I thought I had prepared myself for the final boss. I had heard, with no spoilers, that it was over the top crazy/insane.

I saw Raiden
rip off a giant leg of Armstrong's machine and hit him with it like a sword. I thought, yeah. I guess that is kinda crazy.

That wasn't even the start!

Hehe

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Welp, time to force myself to marathon VR Mission 18. After 2.5 hours I was able to get 19 over the weekend and I got 17 pretty quickly the other day so it's my last one. I want to finish that slog before Ascension comes bout tomorrow. After that I just have to no damage Monsoon for the last difficult trophy that I'm going for (not even going to bother with Thunder God/VR God).

Raxus

Welp, time to force myself to marathon VR Mission 18. After 2.5 hours I was able to get 19 over the weekend and I got 17 pretty quickly the other day so it's my last one. I want to finish that slog before Ascension comes bout tomorrow. After that I just have to no damage Monsoon for the last difficult trophy that I'm going for (not even going to bother with Thunder God/VR God).

VR god is perhaps 'easier' because getting a gold on the two hardest missions is easy. The challenge is actually beating them. I got the VR and VR God achievements at the same time for this very reason.

Sephzilla

VR god is perhaps 'easier' because getting a gold on the two hardest missions is easy. The challenge is actually beating them. I got the VR and VR God achievements at the same time for this very reason.

VR God is definitely the easier of the two to get. Honestly, if you do want to get both I'd say get VR God first anyway. The VR missions are pretty good training for the Revengeance run.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I've been stuck on the last 3 for nearly two weeks now and I can't reliably do them. I also didn't even quality for a medal in 7 or 8 of them. I despise the VR Missions that are on the disk and I'm never playing them again once I'm done. I know I could probably do it, I just don't want to. Same thing with S ranking Revengence. I'll beat it on Revengence but I won't go for the S ranks. I don't want to make myself hate a game I love because of trophy whoring. I'm relatively new to the genre and don't have years worth of skills built up.

Top Bottom