• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Risette

A Good Citizen
I just beat it last night. Good lord, I feel like I just played the result of a publisher telling the person/persons that created Apocalypse for X-Men vs. Street Fighter to make an entire game based on MGS.

This is a cool, neat, interesting game. For this to be canon and not just a spinoff is really undermining the quality and statement of what was supposed to be the final chapter in the series (MGS4). I would really hope this is not considered a way to get new fans for the MGS series because they are really missing what the essence of the series is really about. It is something that I can't quit put my finger on, but Rising doesn't have it.

Despite that, I did enjoy the game. It was a bit too frustrating at times and felt like it was meant to frustrate the player rather than give them a satisfying experience. However, it kept me sticking with it the entire way through and I really did like many of the gameplay elements it introduced.

The story was not an MGS story. I am the biggest MGS fan, but I can't put the story in the same tier as 1-4. It was good, but it didn't make any sense to be part of the main storyline.

Another thing, that music. MGS4 had tracks like "Enclosure", "Atonement", "Everything Begins", "Father and Son", etc. etc. This had what sounded like music by any unsigned punk rock bands.

Again, I know I'm being a little tough, but I had really hoped for a real "MGS" with different gameplay as a refreshing change. It wasn't bad by any means. It is actually a good game for what it is. It's just not MGS level to me.
It's not a Metal Gear Solid game. It's a Metal Gear Rising game. It says that on the box.

It's part of the Metal Gear series, which Solid is also a part of.

Of course, but its pretty hard to parry a Mastiff doing an aerial attack from behind the exact moment I finish doing a zandatsu.

That's definitely their most dangerous move but only because you can't see them half the time and if you use lock on the camera will sometimes (if not most of the time) just go "lolfuckyou". Sometimes I could keep track of them by just generally guessing where they're coming from given where they jumped to (also sometimes using their shadows too).

Everything else is annoying but can be dealt with. The move where the animation just jumps from their yellow arm glow to simply just being on top of you is "i'm just gonna restart the checkpoint" kind of stuff. Sometimes their arms don't even glow if you're close enough, they just simply appear on top of you. =/ Their dropkick animation locks to you to some extent as well and can be really irritating at times.

Perfect parrying that jump move is definitely the secret to VR mission 18 though---or it was for me at least.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I just beat it last night. Good lord, I feel like I just played the result of a publisher telling the person/persons that created Apocalypse for X-Men vs. Street Fighter to make an entire game based on MGS.

This is a cool, neat, interesting game. For this to be canon and not just a spinoff is really undermining the quality and statement of what was supposed to be the final chapter in the series (MGS4). I would really hope this is not considered a way to get new fans for the MGS series because they are really missing what the essence of the series is really about. It is something that I can't quit put my finger on, but Rising doesn't have it.

Despite that, I did enjoy the game. It was a bit too frustrating at times and felt like it was meant to frustrate the player rather than give them a satisfying experience. However, it kept me sticking with it the entire way through and I really did like many of the gameplay elements it introduced.

The story was not an MGS story. I am the biggest MGS fan, but I can't put the story in the same tier as 1-4. It was good, but it didn't make any sense to be part of the main storyline.

Another thing, that music. MGS4 had tracks like "Enclosure", "Atonement", "Everything Begins", "Father and Son", etc. etc. This had what sounded like music by any unsigned punk rock bands.

Again, I know I'm being a little tough, but I had really hoped for a real "MGS" with different gameplay as a refreshing change. It wasn't bad by any means. It is actually a good game for what it is. It's just not MGS level to me.

It's not a fucking Metal Gear Solid game. It's a Metal Gear Rising game. It was never supposed to be the final followup of MGS4. Please understand that.

Metal Gear Solid series isn't going ANYwhere. Ground Zero is coming out with traditional MGS gameplay. Don't let that taint expectations for a title like Rising, which is a completely separate beast.

It's not a Metal Gear Solid game. It's a Metal Gear Rising game. It says that on the box.

It's part of the Metal Gear series, which Solid is also a part of.

Right, I guess I should have been more clear. I was expecting a Metal Gear game to have the same "style" as MGS as far as storytelling. Like I said, its a good game. And yes, I now realize if I want a MGS style game, I'll have to wait for 5. But still, it felt so odd for this to be part of the main storyline. The best way to end the series would have been to keep the final image of
Solid Snake and Big Boss at The Boss' grave
. Not continue it. Just my opinion.

Quick edit

When I say end the series, I meant with the cast of characters from 4. Start fresh and new.

CatPee

Of course, but its pretty hard to parry a Mastiff doing an aerial attack from behind the exact moment I finish doing a zandatsu.

Oh, are you talking about the room with three? I thought you were referring to the initial encounter with one. You can stealth two of them really easily.

Mentally preparing myself for some of tomorrow's new VR Missions to be as hard as VR 18 and 19.

R-04 Lobby Simulation 2000.

8468989584_f2b2d732a5_o.gif

Oh, are you talking about the room with three? I thought you were referring to the initial encounter with one. You can stealth two of them really easily.

Yeah, I stealth killed the first one but I messed up when I tried to stealth kill the second one, but luckily enough the first hit of my Armor Breaker gave me a free Zandatsu, then I got instantly pummeled.

CatPee

Yeah, I stealth killed the first one but I messed up when I tried to stealth kill the second one, but luckily enough the first hit of my Armor Breaker gave me a free Zandatsu, then I got instantly pummeled.

Stealth for that part is relatively simple with a small dose of patience. Cut the metal door out and stand right behind the wall to remain out of sight, let the first walk to you. Once it turns its back and starts going the stairs, you can stealth-kill it. Get out of sight again, wait for the other nearby to fall off the catwalk, then stealth-kill that one from the catwalk. Last one should be a cakewalk.

Kard8p3

So the game forced me to download a 145 MB patch just now. About half way through I got signed out which canceled out the download and now it refuses to log back in. Anyone else ever had this problem?

I haven't had a problem downloading and installing the patch, it seems to clean up the code for chopped up objects and enemies though. That's the only thing I could tell different so far.

And holy shit, the
(fully upgraded) Armor Breaker just got even more godlike for me. If you go into blade mode and start hacking at an enemy whose armor has not yet been broken, you will eventually be able to break it
and get a Zandatsu.

Don't know how many of you guys knew, but it is pretty amazing. Feel free to mock me if it was obvious or something.

Rising was always slated to be a side-story, so outside of listening to every codec, it wasn't meant to be that. This was a personal story for Raiden, and a chance to play as a cyborg ninja basically. How we got a great action game infused with a lot of notable MGS balanced so well is probably a miracle, even with KP and PG collaborating.

For the bolded, as another huge MGS fan myself, while I always looked forward to Rising as MGS:R or MGR:R, yeah, having the series end on 4 meant something. But as far as the canon goes, it being a chronological end to the Snake legacy was good enough for me. Certainly other characters like Raiden could have ongoing stories told, and I was really curious to see the state of the world post-SOP and Patroit control. All the rampant cyborg technology out there makes for an interesting state of the world, along with PMCs still vying for work and control.

And what was frustrating for you, or seemed like it was meant to frustrate you? Gameplay-wise?

Arozay

Holy shit, in the fight after you find the cyborg brains in 02 it won't give me credit for no damage in this section even though I definitely aren't getting hit the multiple times I clear it (the bit with the 2 raptors and 3 rocket launcher guys).

Also, I swear every time I get hit it's either after exiting Zandatsu or camera related.

I haven't had a problem downloading and installing the patch, it seems to clean up the code for chopped up objects and enemies though. That's the only thing I could tell different so far.

And holy shit, the
(fully upgraded) Armor Breaker just got even more godlike for me. If you go into blade mode and start hacking at an enemy whose armor has not yet been broken, you will eventually be able to break it
and get a Zandatsu.

Don't know how many of you guys knew, but it is pretty amazing. Feel free to mock me if it was obvious or something.
Armor breaker + wig b = gg.

Holy shit, in the fight after you find the cyborg brains in 02 it won't give me credit for no damage in this section even though I definitely aren't getting hit the multiple times I clear it (the bit with the 2 raptors and 3 rocket launcher guys).

Also, I swear every time I get hit it's either after exiting Zandatsu or camera related.

Did you die during an attempt?

Bedlam

I had this problem several times. At first I didn't get the "no damage" bonus for Sundowner even though I didn't get hit and my health was at 200% during the flying section which ends the fight. And on my Revengeance S-rank run, I didn't get the "no damage" bonus for the GRAD fight multiple times when I should've. Only the fifth time or so I beat him/them without getting hit, I finally got the "no damage" bonus and the S-rank. God, I hope this doesn't happen in the Monsoon fight which is where I'm currently at.

That might've been it. Can't say for sure.

Arozay

Na, had S ranked the whole chapter to that point with no deaths. It's my Very Hard run so I just went with the A, it was impossible to get full points for Zandatsu as well so the scoring for that section might be fucked.

But hey, S'ed the 2 Grads... :|

EDIT: I must have got hit and severed an ID arm, happened in 03 again. Boo-urns.

Codec calls should have had a hidden checklist somewhere ;__;

Is this one accumulative or do you have to listen to them in one story playthrough?
Also, what is the unlock condition? It says 'most', is more than 50% of them enough?

Either way that's a lot of dialogue... First I was like "wow, every 10 steps they talk about different stuff...". Then I realized that every one of them has more than one dialogue every time. For now I stopped after 5-6 dialogues with every character and kept on playing lol.

Also, this game is amazing!

Korigama

Is this one accumulative or do you have to listen to them in one story playthrough?
Also, what is the unlock condition? It says 'most', is more than 50% of them enough?

Either way that's a lot of dialogue... First I was like "wow, every 10 steps they talk about different stuff...". Then I realized that every one of them has more than one dialogue every time. For now I stopped after 5-6 dialogues with every character and kept on playing lol.

Also, this game is amazing!
Cumulative. 400 out of the possible 540 needed.

Ferr986

Might be mistaken, but apparently Courtney's Save and Don't Save codecs (the ones that aren't just her effusing about current affairs) are recorded separately.

I can confirm this. My cheevo appeared in a save Courtney codec, just after doing a non save Courtney codec (where she said the same). At that point I already completed a full run for this achievement doing all the non save Courtney codecs (cause I though it didnt matter).

Arozay

Kinda hope they patch Sundowner to be a little harder. I haven't even seen him do the pipe thing from the boss trailer, he just melts once you cut his shields off...

Rising was always slated to be a side-story, so outside of listening to every codec, it wasn't meant to be that. This was a personal story for Raiden, and a chance to play as a cyborg ninja basically. How we got a great action game infused with a lot of notable MGS balanced so well is probably a miracle, even with KP and PG collaborating.

For the bolded, as another huge MGS fan myself, while I always looked forward to Rising as MGS:R or MGR:R, yeah, having the series end on 4 meant something. But as far as the canon goes, it being a chronological end to the Snake legacy was good enough for me. Certainly other characters like Raiden could have ongoing stories told, and I was really curious to see the state of the world post-SOP and Patroit control. All the rampant cyborg technology out there makes for an interesting state of the world, along with PMCs still vying for work and control.

And what was frustrating for you, or seemed like it was meant to frustrate you? Gameplay-wise?

I do appreciate that the story was meant for Raiden to come into is own. I would just like to have had a story that was at least on the same scale as MGS1. There really wasn't much of a connection with the supporting characters unlike those from the MGS series. I was hoping for the same heavy storytelling found in the MGS series basically.

As for the frustrating part goes, the camera would be a good example. I would be watching an enemy walk around until they got to a point where I could sneak up and right when the enemy got close, sure enough, the camera would suddenly face the other direction and I would have to blindly start following the enemy. This would often send me into alert mode. A few of the bosses felt too cheap as well.

Don't get me wrong though, I still enjoyed the game. I really, really, REALLY liked the
Denver chapter. It is refreshing to see a setting like that in a game.
. I also enjoyed that there is a post MGS4 world. Again though, I think that if a story was going to be told about that "world", it should have the same heavy handed storytelling from the MGS series. This is why I really wish Rising was set between 2 and 4.

The hack and slash was fun and honestly it never got old. Normally, after a while I get tired of the same mechanics and put the game down for a day or two. Not this though.

Maybe I could sum up my feelings on the game as this: I liked it but I like MGS-style more.

Kinda hope they patch Sundowner to be a little harder. I haven't even seen him do the pipe thing from the boss trailer, he just melts once you cut his shields off...

Link to the trailer? I've been looking for it. I've seen the Boss weapon trailer though. But not this.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Oh man he did the giant pipe thing to me on my first runthrough on Hard, was fucking epic slicing through it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I do appreciate that the story was meant for Raiden to come into is own. I would just like to have had a story that was at least on the same scale as MGS1. There really wasn't much of a connection with the supporting characters unlike those from the MGS series. I was hoping for the same heavy storytelling found in the MGS series basically.

[...]

Don't get me wrong though, I still enjoyed the game. I really, really, REALLY liked the
Denver chapter. It is refreshing to see a setting like that in a game.
. I also enjoyed that there is a post MGS4 world. Again though, I think that if a story was going to be told about that "world", it should have the same heavy handed storytelling from the MGS series. This is why I really wish Rising was set between 2 and 4.

I actually totally disagree with you. The post-MGS4 world is a world without Snakes. It's a different world, and it should be treated differently as a result. I think the story was well handled, and Raiden himself comments on the fact that it's ludicrous to pontificate about philosophy with terrorists.

He's not Snake, and this is not Snake's game. That has repercussions on the final product, not just from a gameplay and character standpoint, but the way the story is told.

The elimination of SOP and the Patriots simplified the world greatly, and it's reflected in the story-telling. I thought that was a nice touch. Eliminating SOP didn't eliminate terrorists or scheming warlords, but it did eliminate layers upon layers of conspiracy. It gives Snake's sacrifice weight. The world post-MGS4 is still a very dangerous and destructive world, but it's a lot simpler. If you ask me, that simpler story-telling is Snake's legacy.

Kinda weird when I think about it that way.

Sephzilla

I actually totally disagree with you. The post-MGS4 world is a world without Snakes. It's a different world, and it should be treated differently as a result. I think the story was well handled, and Raiden himself comments on the fact that it's ludicrous to pontificate about philosophy with terrorists.

He's not Snake, and this is not Snake's game. That has repercussions on the final product, not just from a gameplay and character standpoint, but the way the story is told.

The elimination of SOP and the Patriots simplified the world greatly, and it's reflected in the story-telling. I thought that was a nice touch. Eliminating SOP didn't eliminate terrorists or scheming warlords, but it did eliminate layers upon layers of conspiracy. It gives Snake's sacrifice weight. The world post-MGS4 is still a very dangerous and destructive world, but it's a lot simpler. If you ask me, that simpler story-telling is Snake's legacy.

Kinda weird when I think about it that way.

I think I can sum this up with a Snake line - "War has changed"

The thing is... it is a spinoff. It's not really a continuation of the events of Metal Gear Solid 4. It's a story that takes place in a post-Patriots world. It doesn't negate or lessen any of Snake's legacy in MGS4 or anything like that. MGS4 still was the closure of the main storyline, Rising changed none of that.

Dreamer RD

That happens a lot though, with regular cyborgs too. At the beginning of the last mission there's this slider, and when you shoot it down the attached cyborg runs in circles like a madman. Various others just keep running against walls.
I see those as a gift.

Useful glitches yeah. Speaking of last mission - any tips for stealth trophy? I managed to pass the first two gates without being noticed, but don't know what to do with last 3 soldiers just before
Armstrong
Too lazy to watch youtube guides.

Top Bottom