• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Useful glitches yeah. Speaking of last mission - any tips for stealth trophy? I managed to pass the first two gates without being noticed, but don't know what to do with last 3 soldiers just before
Armstrong
Too lazy to watch youtube guides.
Shoot a rocket at the ground so the first behind the car comes looking, hide under the cardboard. Ninja Kill him. Next Ninja kill the heavy armored behind the car. Then the one up there.
Make sure to not destroy the car, though.

Sephzilla

Useful glitches yeah. Speaking of last mission - any tips for stealth trophy? I managed to pass the first two gates without being noticed, but don't know what to do with last 3 soldiers just before
Armstrong

I just immediately ninja ran up to the walkway where that one custom cyborg is (the one near the camera), hid in the cardboard box (because you run the risk of starting a "caution" status, and once everyone starts walking back to their normal spots you can ninja kill the walkway guard and then just slowly walk towards the end of the level in the cardboard box.

The official guide says to use RP grenades and just walk behind the two guards on the ground, I find that strategy completely full of crap.

Astral

Armstrong

You can also throw the 3D holo photo thing. The guard in the walkway and the heavily armored guard will get distracted by it, but the third guy never notices it. Just stealth kill him and quickly kill the other two while they're distracted by the holo.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
The official guide says to use RP grenades and just walk behind the two guards on the ground, I find that strategy completely full of crap.

That's what I did :p

Didn't use the guide, though. It just seemed like the most straight forward solution.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Armstrong
The dude on the walkway was glitched too when I did this. I cautioned him, and when he walked back he just got stuck in the railing. Same thing happend with the guy on the walkway in the facility.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The thing is... it is a spinoff. It's not really a continuation of the events of Metal Gear Solid 4. It's a story that takes place in a post-Patriots world. It doesn't negate or lessen any of Snake's legacy in MGS4 or anything like that. MGS4 still was the closure of the main storyline, Rising changed none of that.

This is no spin off boy. No spin off. A side story would be a far more appropriate title, you can be sure if MGS5 comes out ever and is set in 2020 or post desperado incursion that MGR's events will be referenced.

This is a spin off in terms of game play, but it is completely canon to the series.

Sephzilla

This is no spin off boy. No spin off. A side story would be a far more appropriate title, you can be sure if MGS5 comes out ever and is set in 2020 or post desperado incursion that MGR's events will be referenced.

This is a spin off in terms of game play, but it is completely canon to the series.

Well, a side story effectively is a spin-off though if you go by the normal definition of a spin-off. It's canon to the universe, but it's not really a continuation of the normal Metal Gear Solid storyline. Kind of like how "Fraiser" isn't really a continuation of "Cheers".

Also, I doubt we'll get another MGS game set after MGS4. I have a feeling MGS5 will just be the final bow on the MGS3/PW/GZ Big Boss era games.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Armstrong

Throw and RP grenade in a position that when it explodes the guards will investigate towards the wall in the other direction

get in oil drum

run along the very edge of the wall below the guard on the high ground

keep going until you clear the APC just to be safe and you've done it

edit:

http://youtu.be/h_0Hxyf6PA0?#t=2m55s

Thanks for hints. Gonna try them in next walkthrough.

Also question about Doktor - is he doctor Madnar? (mentioned in mgs4)

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Doktor

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Drago_Pettrovich_Madnar

Dr Madnar's place place in 2018 seems interesting though, considering he was essentially the go-to guy in terms of robotics.

I guess when you unsuccessfully try to choke Solid Snake, you may kind of want everybody to think you're dead (which is odd considering Snake really doesn't acknowledge it at all when Raiden mentions him in MGS4).

Oh well, character brought back as a novelty trinket and fan-service. Certainly not the first time.

Goddammit this game! I finally got it today after having pre-ordered it on Zavvi to get it to me (as an Australian [and a cheapskate] I just can't justify paying almost double for a local copy, but that waiting time is murder), and I love it so much. I started on Hard mode, found that all my skills from the demo had completely deserted me, but by the time I got back up to the Blade Wolf fight I was parrying like a champ again. I get destroyed by every new enemy I meet, but stubbornly trying over and over again until I finally learn all their attacks and how to parry or dodge them is giving me that ol' Devil May Cry feeling. I just got through the fight with the three dinosaur dudes in the sewer, must have died about ten times in succession and sometimes without even getting a hit in, but when I finally beat them it was like a whirling maelstrom of parries and force palms.

I just love the feel of the combat so much. In games like DMC and Bayonetta I'm always trying to dodge around and position myself so I don't get overwhelmed, but I feel like I want to be overwhelmed in Revengeance just so I can do some more parrying. I just love Platinum's approach to character control, too - not quite on the level of Our Lord and Saviour Sam Gideon, but I still adore Ninja Running.

I've barely touched the Codec yet, because I've mainly just been Ninja Running my way though (and stealthing when I wuss out), but I can't wait to take it slowly on subsequent playthroughs. For a Metal Gear game the story has been moving along really smoothly, and after my days of trouble getting that 'see all flashbacks' Trophy in MGS4 I really appreciate the economy of writing. Has Kojima finally hired an editor? Don't get me wrong, I'd probably take a bullet for that man, but I still have nightmares about those between-Act briefings on the Nomad. So far, Revengeance has managed to convey a story setup, introduce the villains, teach me how to press the action button on things and even make a few actually funny jokes, all in the time it would have taken me to climb that tree in MGS3 :p

Anyway, Revengeance. Platinum and KojiPro are pretty much my two favourite developers, and I love this game.

I wouldn't call it a spin-off or a side-story. It's its own thing, just like Metal Gear and Metal Gear Solid are their own things, but part of the same canon as Metal Gear Rising.

I find it surprising that people are treating this as if everything about the game needs to be gospel when Kojima is so lax about picking and choosing what aspects of each game he wants to carry over to the main narrative. The MGS games directly reference the important parts of the MG stories but never mention most of the boss fights or supporting characters. MGR is canon to the series and if there is ever an MGS game or another canon entry (aside from more MGR games of course) you can sure as hell bet that Kojima would reference the major events of Rising (i.e.
Raiden stops a PMC from spreading more war and destruction and kills an insane, rogue US Senator
), but wouldn't really acknowledge some of the zanier aspects of Rising that people say don't fit in with the rest of the canon. Hence why
Sunny
is able to appear and it makes perfect sense. It didn't feel out of place, at least to me.

This game is so perfectly balanced narratively between the existing MGS style and Platinum's own direction, but nothing of importance is incompatible with the rest of the canon because of the stylistic choices made, or really any aspect that can simply remain contained within the MGR bubble.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Thanks for hints. Gonna try them in next walkthrough.

Also question about Doktor - is he doctor Madnar? (mentioned in mgs4)

No. Doktor is german. Madnar is eastern european.

So after a combined 5 or so hours on Mission 18 & 19, I finally became a Virtual God.

Whichever asshole designed these two missions can go fuck himself. This shit was not QA'd. The amount of times the fucking camera screwed me over, or I got one shotted by a heavy right after a zandatsu animation, or being grabbed a dwarf gekko midair. trgfh tmr67ykju576.,kujy6,.nbj4 rhfnjyukimt

So after a combined 5 or so hours on Mission 18 & 19, I finally became a Virtual God.

Whichever asshole designed these two missions can go fuck himself. This shit was not QA'd. The amount of times the fucking camera screwed me over, or I got one shotted by a heavy right after a zandatsu animation, or being grabbed a dwarf gekko midair. trgfh tmr67ykju576.,kujy6,.nbj4 rhfnjyukimt

Haha I can't even get a gold on Mission 1 yet, I'm so screwed. I will keep at it though and improve. I MUST SUCCEED.

Congrats.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I just tried to buy the DLC and it says it's not valid for my region. I'm in the US. WTF?

ryushe

Sorry if this has been answered already, but will the new DLC affect the "Virtually a God" trophy if I haven't gotten it already?

duckroll

Patch updated the game to Ver.2. Anyone notice any changes?

Yes it checks for DLC after loading a save now. It's just the patch to support DLC content I think, since the DLC just hit. Btw, the DLC is pretty fun! Dwarf Gekko controls are kinda wonky, but the missions seem pretty well designed for either fun or actual challenge.

how did I miss the release date for this thing?

the work day just got slower.

Can't wait to Bare Knuckle

0221_02.jpg

Raxus

My impression of my last play session

'Alright, no damage on Sam...'

A Rank

'Fuuuuuu....'

Sundowner is a joke boss. Seriously.

Armstrong

Mid part is easy - just hang left and run alongside the left wall all the way til the gate. If you do it straight away then noone will spot you. You might need to pause early on for Revengeance as the Sliders will see you.

The 3 cyborgs before final boss - I cut the camera which usually draws one guard in. Ninja kill him. 3D photo at the stairs where the rocket cyborg is and quickly ninja kill the cyborg #1 was hanging with. By here the rocket cyborg is about to recover. I managed to ninja kill him in time though.

Top Bottom