• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Yeah, I can't think of an exception. Well, the only one is, when enemies glow yellow instead of red.

I meant Raiden's attacks. Edited my post because I wasn't sure. Can you cancel charged pincers and dodges into parries?

Thanks. Do you find yourself just locking a target and pressing the attack without the movement thumbstick? I ask because I tend to push towards my intended target subconsciously and end up doing that incredibly long block animation when they start to attack.

You'll only parry if you push the stick toward the attack after the attack is initiated. You can hold the stick toward them all day and not worry about automatic parrying.

DrBo42

I meant Raiden's attacks. Edited my post because I wasn't sure. Can you cancel charged pincers and dodges into parries?

You'll only parry if you push the stick toward the attack after the attack is initiated. You can hold the stick toward them all day and not worry about automatic parrying.
Cheers.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I think GRADs are my favorite enemies. I like the way they circle-strafe you Virtua On-style, roller-skatin' and hatin'.
This thread is gold. I'll never look at those things the same again.
They're a special weapon in Bayonetta

SaiFung.png
We've already made normal crazy. We are on to some next level crazy now. :)
Well... I know what I'll be replaying once I'm done with Rising!

Yeah, I know. I meant the only time it doesn't work when the enemy is about to grab you hence canceling into a parry won't work.

And yes you can cancel charged pincers at least up to a certain frame after that you should have enough super armor. Dodge should work.

Edith:
100 chapters on normal and above for Sai-Fung to unlock.

demidar

Yeah, I know. I meant the only time it doesn't work when the enemy is about to grab you hence canceling into a parry won't work.

And yes you can cancel charged pincers at least up to a certain frame after that you should have enough super armor. Dodge should work.

Edith:
100 chapters on normal and above for Sai-Fung to unlock.

If you really want to push out continuous damage, swing a normal pincer attack then just after it connects cancel it with a forward SliceDodge and repeat. This adds more damage and removes the recovery from pincer attacks and if you time it right, you could get through an entire pincer combo even while getting assaulted.

If you really want to push out continuous damage, swing a normal pincer attack then just after it connects cancel it with a forward SliceDodge and repeat. This adds more damage and removes the recovery from pincer attacks and if you time it right, you could get through an entire pincer combo even while getting assaulted.
This is true, but the questions was, if it's cancelable into a parry. But yes dodge offset makes the pincers the best unique weapon. Sai is great too, but is more limited imo.

demidar

This is true, but the questions was, if it's cancelable into a parry. But yes dodge offset makes the pincers the best unique weapon. Sai is great too, but is more limited imo.

Sai is pretty situational. One of its weaknesses is that after you use the downward stab attack you can't do anything as you fall to the earth, but I found if you enter blade mode in mid-air it gives back control so you can continue your air attacks or chain pull yourself to other enemies.

But yeah, the Pincers are the best unique weapon.

If you are fighting GRADs, by all means use the Sai.

I was a bit disappointed that there were no nunchaku type weapons in this game, like the Sai-Fung, but I can imagine that Platinum had only enough time to develop 3 very unique optional weapon types.

Perhaps in MGR2.

Jintor

I find it really difficult to use dodge offset in Rising for some reason. not to activate it, but to try and use it tactically. Not sure why... maybe I just need giant hands coming out of portals to indicate to me when I've finished a combo.

I always enjoyed that Sai Fung's giant portal hands are all Bruce Lee palms

I find it really difficult to use dodge offset in Rising for some reason. not to activate it, but to try and use it tactically. Not sure why... maybe I just need giant hands coming out of portals to indicate to me when I've finished a combo.

I always enjoyed that Sai Fung's giant portal hands are all Bruce Lee palms

The dodge offset in Rising is easier to do than it is in Bayonetta, you don't have to hold the attack buttons. I usually don't use it though.

What is better than palm thrusts? GIANT DEMON PALM THRUSTS!

And the Sai-Fung costume is the more sexy variant of the death game bodysuit.

Also the double palm strike used by Raiden, I know this move from a martial arts movie. Can't remember which one, though.

Edith: I usually dodge offset in boss fights to maximize damage. You can reset recovery frames of any combo.

Eusis

God damn, the final boss feels like a few tweaks away from being relatively reasonable rather than frustrating, and one of those are blade mechanics that could go across the whole game. Require something like a trigger push to do a slash after positioning I think, as I screwed up a part because WHAT YOU WANT TO SWING I DIDN'T KNOW THAT. Just angling it then pressing a button to swing would've fixed that I think.

Those more specific are things like
including checkpoints like every other boss fight (or maybe that had to come a bit later?), offering healing items at the start, and not having those damn fire geysers either never STAY shooting or at least don't trap you into a situation where you can't easily avoid an attack.

Hypron

God damn, the final boss feels like a few tweaks away from being relatively reasonable rather than frustrating, and one of those are blade mechanics that could go across the whole game. Require something like a trigger push to do a slash after positioning I think, as I screwed up a part because WHAT YOU WANT TO SWING I DIDN'T KNOW THAT. Just angling it then pressing a button to swing would've fixed that I think.

You can already do that. Use the sticks to angle your swing and then hit X and it'll do just that. Inverting the sticks in blade mode (the second control scheme does that) makes aiming a lot more natural and easier as well.

Also, I'll have to disagree with the final boss being frustrating. In my opinion it's the least frustrating boss in the whole game. It's also the one with the least amount of BS attacks (the only one that can be a bit cheap is the
wall of fire
) or camera problems. It's a hard fight the first time around, but after that it's just a blast. It's a combination of all the things I like about videogames. It's definitely up there as one of the best bossfights of this generation for me, along with Credo and a couple of Dark souls bosses.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
You'll have to replay it more than once if you want to unlock Sai Fung. :p
Duly noted, my good man. Although I never said it would be my first replay ;)
I got 1000\1000GP on 360. "Gunchucks" are simply a fantastic excuse for giving the PS3 copy another chance.

Platinum games just keep on giving.

Bayonetta has more content and unlockables then most games with dlc.
truly a masterpiece.

Oh, did some of you know that the LQ-84i Fenrir ( Hróðvitnir) is the wolf mentioned in the Edda, due to him Odin lost one of his eyes and can't remember who lost his hand to bound him?
Edith: It was Týr.

And the Sai-Fung costume is the more sexy variant of the death game bodysuit.

The outfit + giant Bruce Lee palm thrusts + Bayo making Bruce Lee noises = Completely worth the grind to unlock Sai-Fung. The only way to improve on that is adding some kind of JKD style for the leg weapons to do burning side kicks and send enemies FLYING like God Hand.

Jintor

Only thing is the Sai Fung is such a... single-target weapon, even with the shots flying around the damage output on a group level isn't as good as Scaraburough Fair and its combo finishers don't have the range of the Swords.

Watched that MGS2 video without context, thought it was incredible, realised it was DSP, everything made sense. Goddamn that dude is just all around awful. It's one thing to suck at a game, but to act like it's the game's fault you're awful constantly?

Edit: HOLY SHIT that rising gameplay. Goddamn. What a dolt.

Only thing is the Sai Fung is such a... single-target weapon, even with the shots flying around the damage output on a group level isn't as good as Scaraburough Fair and its combo finishers don't have the range of the Swords.
While true, Sai-Fung does a lot stun, though.
MGR OT is now another Bayo thread.

Veelk

Banned
Since we're on the topic of MGS2, I just played through it and it hyped me up for the conclusion to the present day MGS story HARD. Now, I know that MGS3 does have some plot important information for MGS4, as they partially explain how the patriots came to be (Zero is there at the end, I recall, and also the Sorrow shows up for some reason...). But right at this moment, I hit a serious stride and really just want to see the end of Snakes journey. But, if the information that MGS3 provides is really THAT important to understanding MGS4 (god knows the game needs all the help it can get with that), I probably should play it. But if it's not and it's just cameos or stuff that is explained well enough in 4, then I'm willing to pass it. Does anyone with a better memory than mine tell me if I can just roll right into 4 or do I need to go back to BB's golden age?

And, yeah, I'm cross posting from the MGS HD OT, and I'm sorry for that, but I'm worried that the thread will be buried by morning and no one will respond.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I remember someone saying it wasn't quite a character, but he does make his reactions "bigger".

But if it is 100% genuine...

Carbonox

R-02 has a good place to farm BP. The sewer section where you have to run through a tunnel filled with Dwarf Gekko's allows you to rack up a huge amount of BP. Once you get to the section, activate Ripper Mode, run through slashing with Square, take out all of the Dwarf Gekko's and then run back to the start of the area where you will see a humanoid Dwarf Gekko. Activate blade mode and slash vertically so that you cut it cleanly in two. By doing this you can get 10k BP just from that. Plus with the BP acquired from the Dwarf Gekko's you just killed (and their drops), you'll be rolling in BP.

Afterwards, if you customize from the start menu and then return, you'll go back to when you first arrived in that section but with all the BP you acquired, meaning you can rinse and repeat.

H2Yo

Finished this yesterday, didn't anyone else feel that something was missing when
Raiden falls out of the Helicopter after fighting the stealth bombers? One moment he was falling and Dok salutes him in remembrance and then the next level he is on the ground ready to go. No explanation what happened.

Also I had a few bugs. When fighting the Boss with the scissors, he was invisible other than his eyes and forehead.
The other thing was block/parry was broken, it would only work 5% of the time, literally. It was easy to do and worked 100% of time in the tutorial and VR missions but in the action game, it just wouldn't engage.

This made ALL the bosses extremely hard. My work around was the dodge strike (A and X with side direction) to circle strafe them.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
The camera issues only become noticeable when I use the game's targeting system.

I'm taking 3-4 Mastiffs at the same time and no-damaging them.
3AQmK.gif

Finished this yesterday, didn't anyone else feel that something was missing when
Raiden falls out of the Helicopter after fighting the stealth bombers? One moment he was falling and Dok salutes him in remembrance and then the next level he is on the ground ready to go. No explanation what happened.

same happened when Raiden takes
the supersonic jet to the
final boss :D he's just there. I assume they had time/budget constraints and couldn't make the elaborate cutscenes or something :p

you can hear stuff about it if you call everyone on the codec at the start of the missions.

demidar

Create a new account and do it all over again? :p

Thanks, guess I'll sit tight until the DLC releases.

Big kudos

How did you defeat Monsoon without losing damage? Did you do it on Hard?

Wig A for infinite EM grenades, use charged Pincer attacks just after he gets back up after he falls apart because he takes reduced damage as just a head, use a charged Sai attack just after you block his first extendo-hand attack, sliced apart the thrown debris parts (ninja running doesn't work too well for me). I had to do this twice mind you because the first time I missed a Hammerhead fight. Both done on Revengeance.

Top Bottom