• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Don't you get the white armor by beating Hard?

Nope that's the normal armor from the game intro. The white armor was a best buy pre-order DLC for the game.

kdBLb9q.jpg

Raxus

Can't beat the grad at the beginning of R-04. It's impossible to no damage this...

Just to save you the headache, you can take damage on the R04 Lobby fight and
the Mistral/Monsoon fight
and still pull easy S ranks. Sundowner is a joke. Sam is too but it will take you a few tries for the S.

Don't you get the white armor by beating Hard?

That is the R00 or the MGS4 outfit I think

Slermy

Noahd42

Banned
Just beat the game tonight. My PS3 went red blinking light last week on the Execelsus boss, but I got it back today and didn't lose my game saves so I beat it. One of the better gaming experiences this generation. I'm a bit disappointed, you can tell some of the stuff between beating Sundowner to fighting Sam was rushed. Nonetheless, great experience. Got stuck on VR7 and some of the later ones here and there. Might go back to it eventually but I'm on to the next game at this point.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
There some dwarf gekko missions that are all right...but that aside it's more of the same. There's a beat em' up mission where you only fight with your fists but it's boring as hell.

heh

I didn't want to say anything because it seemed like alot of people were excited for it

but the mechanics and moveset from the armstrong phase 2 fight were ass. So anything using that as a base was bound to be disappointing.

JoeFenix

Dude the mechanics for when you only have your fists are fucking awesome, the game REALLY forces you to rely on dodge offset and offensive defense at that point.

DLC 19 was so much fun, you guys are Krazy Kraze!

jett

D-Member
Dude the mechanics for when you only have your fists are fucking awesome, the game REALLY forces you to rely on dodge offset and offensive defense at that point.

DLC 19 was so much fun, you guys are Krazy Kraze!

Fucking boring shit. And it's not offensive defense as you don't attack with the dodge. I'm not even sure dodge offset works, in any case your combos are simple crap. It's way too simple to have fun with that.

JoeFenix

Fucking boring shit. And it's not offensive defense as you don't attack with the dodge. I'm not even sure dodge offset works, in any case your combos are simple crap. It's way too simple to have fun with that.

Of course dodge offset works, dodging doesn't attack but you can still go through attacks which makes it pretty useful for mounting an offense.

It's simple and pure, becomes exclusively about timing. These VR missions are the shit!

There's cool little wrinkles and ideas in nearly everyone of them, Platinum really gets it.

come on. need new VR impressions.

DL-VR 30

Final round

Two GRADs and three Fenrirs

....At once? At Revengeance difficulty? LOLWAT

Nope. I think it's Normal difficulty. You can take a lot of hits, but your perfect parries are really ineffective when things get crazy and you need that quick zandatsu.

Fox Blade doesn't do any more damage against bosses. Murasama is pretty much the go to boss damage weapon.

Yep. Fox blade is great for quick slicing large groups in a few seconds, but Sam's blade has better reach. I used the fox blade because I suck at action games, and even with that and the infinite wig, Revengeance was still pretty difficult.

Just to save you the headache, you can take damage on the R04 Lobby fight and
the Mistral/Monsoon fight
and still pull easy S ranks. Sundowner is a joke. Sam is too but it will take you a few tries for the S.

The worst part about the lobby fight aside from the GRAD are those RPG assholes who do serious damage and can easily destroy those mounted guns. However, I think you get a 'S' rank just for completing that fight which is good. It took me a while to finish that and I went through all my health packs, but still got that rank.

You have to wait it out for three minutes. It's the only way.

It didn't work for me. I tried dodging and running away from him, but he would always sucker-punch me with that incredibly fast charge attack. Eventually, after 20+ retries I just decided to dodge like crazy and kick him when I could. It worked, finally, and then I used a cheap tactic on him in the third phase and took his health down to 1% by hitting him over three-hundred times in blade mode. Also, that perfect-parry QTE on Revengeance takes out almost a full health bar. I had him around 170-180% and after punching him, he was around 95% or so. Felt so good.

JoeFenix

Hero of the metaverse - All gold done on DLC VR missions!

27 was the hardest for me, the Mastiff AI is different in these VR missions, they block your perfect parries and it's harder to Zandatsu them.

There's some tricky stuff here but it's definitely doable, really fun stuff!

JoeFenix

How did you handle the GRADs and fenrirs in VR-30? I took out two fenrirs, then got destroyed by the GRADs.

Hmm, I think I did the breakdancing move with the polearm on the pack of them when they spawned and then just kinda winged it.

There's a couple harder missions than that one imo.

Hmm, I think I did the breakdancing move with the polearm on the pack of them when they spawned and then just kinda winged it.

I was doing pretty well on that mission until that round. I was expecting at least a GRAD, but two with several fenrirs? wow thanks

There's a couple harder missions than that one imo.

Oh great.

I also don't like how the next wave spawns even if you're still finishing off the previous one. For example, having those three-legged sewer dwellers spawn when you're distracted by those stupid gliders.

AAK

I beat the game, it was really really good. 7/10

If they put more effort in giving moves to Dystopia/Pincer weapons: 8/10

If the game had the above and Real time weapon switching: 9/10

If the game kept the wall running mechanic and designed the stages to accommodate it: 9.5/10

Rising_Gameplay.gif

If they allocated a part of the controls to use for Wolf the same way Dead to Rights used Shadow: 10/10

But this game definitely needs to be played for any fan of the genre. It's finally something that tries something new. But unfortunately because it lacked some basic necessities other games managed. I still enjoyed Bayonetta/DMC4/NGS2 a bit more than MGR. Ah well, let's hope the DLC uses new movelists and doesn't just recycle Raiden's animations.

Carbonox

I beat the game, it was really really good. 7/10

If they put more effort in giving moves to Dystopia/Pincer weapons: 8/10

If the game had the above and Real time weapon switching: 9/10

If the game kept the wall running mechanic and designed the stages to accommodate it: 9.5/10

Rising_Gameplay.gif

If they allocated a part of the controls to use for Wolf the same way Dead to Rights used Shadow: 10/10

But this game definitely needs to be played for any fan of the genre. It's finally something that tries something new. But unfortunately because it lacked some basic necessities other games managed. I still enjoyed Bayonetta/DMC4/NGS2 a bit more than MGR. Ah well, let's hope the DLC uses new movelists and doesn't just recycle Raiden's animations.

That gif makes me sad. Outside of the obvious exclusion of the wall-running, the environment there looks way more open, busy and easier on the eye.

Hopefully wall-running and bigger/more diverse environments will make it in to Rising 2.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
That gif makes me sad. Outside of the obvious exclusion of the wall-running, the environment there looks way more open, busy and easier on the eye.

Hopefully wall-running and bigger/more diverse environments will make it in to Rising 2.

Wishful thinking, I'm afraid. :(

Still waiting for my Vanquish 2.

Jintor

They'll combine them.

Metal Gear Rising 2: Revanquish.

Russian death robots, DARPA-funded battle suits, insane nonsense conspiracies, it's already practically a Metal Gear game, just needed more interesting bosses.

I watched the Metal Gear Solid: Rising trailer from 2010 and noticed the enemies looked a lot like the Praying Mantis PMC soldiers. Was Raiden also fighting non-cyborg humans in the originally planned game?

Edit: I forgot the original story took place before MGS4.

Carbonox

They'll combine them.

Metal Gear Rising 2: Revanquish.

Russian death robots, DARPA-funded battle suits, insane nonsense conspiracies, it's already practically a Metal Gear game, just needed more interesting bosses.

I want it to be revealed that the giant space ship satellite thingy from Vanquish is really a Metal Gear and Raiden has to combine with Blade Wolf for Optimus Prime/Jetfire jetpack mode in a battle to the death set above Earth in space.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Nibel

I'm trying to lower my 'hype' levels, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

What's the latest figure btw? Last I heard was 300k.

It did 370k+ in Japan alone - world wide sales are probably even higher; don't have the exact numbers, but it's by far PG's most successful game and deservedly so. Also, Kojima stated that he enjoyed working with them and that he thinks about creating a sequel with PG on board - everything is looking good for MGR2 so far I think :)

lol, you know it's optional, right?
Not sure what that means? There is a trophy for the DLC VR missions I believe.

Loving the new VR missions, lots of variety and interesting concepts. Kind of strange that Very Hard is considered harder than Revengeance due to parry damage.

Would love an MGR2 where Platinum is allowed more dev time to flesh out secondary weapons and later stages. Everything past R-04 felt pretty rushed.

Jintor

Jesus christ fuck you monsoon on no damage hard. So many attacks with very little startup or his body is blocked by mine or the camera flips out when he teleports in... and then, of course, there's his fucking things he's throwing at you. God damnit monsoon.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
it works better if you disable lock on. At least for me did.

I never use lock on and the camera still screws me over plenty by moving or jerking around the place at random times - it's my biggest gripe about the game by far, especially since I like to play precise and not just mash my way out of a situation.

Arozay

Jesus christ fuck you monsoon on no damage hard. So many attacks with very little startup or his body is blocked by mine or the camera flips out when he teleports in... and then, of course, there's his fucking things he's throwing at you. God damnit monsoon.

The thing that was screwing me around with no damaging Monsoon is when he'd skip the cheese wheel phase and attack instead or come out of smoke immediately with berserker barrage.

Jintor

The camera being an asshole wouldn't matter so much if parry wasn't directional, but... well, that's kind of integral to parry. So the camera should be fixed damn you camera

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Tips: Run into the middle and hold on. Because the camera won't freak out if you stay in the middle.

I suggest having Marasama level 5, P blades level 5, and Sai level 5 for the sake of quickly damaging him.

Once you reach 70%, cut the first two waves. Run from the rest.

When you hit 40%, parry parry. Blade mode.

Then parry (after equipping Sai before these parries) to quickly hit him after you parry the FIRST attack from blade mode. You don't need to parry that attack three times and continue to parry the rest of the attack. If you're quick and parry the first and then throw you should stun him before the rest of the first attack's "attack" comes out. Then rush in to own him.

Once you got past that it's a matter of parry parry blade mode at 20% and you're home free.

As for smoke, P. blade Y, X+A (dodge) EVERY. TIME. If he's going for the barrage, X+A, X+A, X+A, X+A... Y (dodge the attack 3-4 times, then hit him with the P. blades), X+A (to cancel the P. Blades/dodge out of the way)

Problem is dodging is based on RAIDEN's position, not the camera. If Raiden is NOT facing the enemy at all times you'll do a forward lunge attack instead of a dodge with the X+A command which will fuck you over 9/10 of the time he attacks. So that's another tip: Always face him if you can.

Once you got these, he's owned hard. It took me 1000 attempts to bring it all together but when it clicked... oh boy did it ever click.

Also for the discombobulated attack: CHARGE P. BLADES LEVEL 1 ATTACK. DO NOT DO THE TWO OR THREE ONE.

You should nail him with that and prevent him from attacking you.

Top Bottom