• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

-Winnie-

Jesus christ fuck you monsoon on no damage hard. So many attacks with very little startup or his body is blocked by mine or the camera flips out when he teleports in... and then, of course, there's his fucking things he's throwing at you. God damnit monsoon.

Try and make more use of the dodge if you aren't already. I was mostly having trouble with his damn grenades that just come out of nowhere, but then I started using dodge a lot more and I was able to no-damage him without too much difficulty.

Jintor

Tips: Run into the middle and hold on. Because the camera won't freak out if you stay in the middle.

I suggest having Marasama level 5, P blades level 5, and Sai level 5 for the sake of quickly damaging him.

Once you reach 70%, cut the first two waves. Run from the rest.

When you hit 40%, parry parry. Blade mode.

Then parry (after equipping Sai before these parries) to quickly hit him after you parry the FIRST attack from blade mode. You don't need to parry that attack three times and continue to parry the rest of the attack. If you're quick and parry the first and then throw you should stun him before the rest of the first attack's "attack" comes out. Then rush in to own him.

Once you got past that it's a matter of parry parry blade mode at 20% and you're home free.

As for smoke, P. blade Y, X+A (dodge) EVERY. TIME. If he's going for the barrage, X+A, X+A, X+A, X+A... Y (dodge the attack 3-4 times, then hit him with the P. blades), X+A (to cancel the P. Blades/dodge out of the way)

Problem is dodging is based on RAIDEN's position, not the camera. If Raiden is NOT facing the enemy at all times you'll do a forward lunge attack instead of a dodge with the X+A command which will fuck you over 9/10 of the time he attacks. So that's another tip: Always face him if you can.

Once you got these, he's owned hard. It took me 1000 attempts to bring it all together but when it clicked... oh boy did it ever click.

Also for the discombobulated attack: CHARGE P. BLADES LEVEL 1 ATTACK. DO NOT DO THE TWO OR THREE ONE.

You should nail him with that and prevent him from attacking you.

Thanks Seks.

Guess I'm going to have to learn how to use these damn scissors.

Carbonox

crap :(

2,49€ for 30 VR missions isn't that bad. Especially considering I got the game for 39,99 one week after release.

I don't buy things on the store and won't be going through the motions of adding funds to my account in order to do so for something that should be free like it is elsewhere.

Ah well.

Try and make more use of the dodge if you aren't already. I was mostly having trouble with his damn grenades that just come out of nowhere, but then I started using dodge a lot more and I was able to no-damage him without too much difficulty.

Yeah it's easier to OD away from his combo spam than it is to try parrying it all. Or just spam EM grenades w/ wig.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Thanks Seks.

As for the smoke phase itself, parry everything. Don't dodge. But outside of smoke you want to try to dodge everything if you can. Since 1) dodging will also DAMAGE him due to i-frames if you're facing him during the "berserker barrage" attack and 2) free damage due to the i-frames and "offensive" in the offensive dodge attack/dodge.

If you're good he shouldn't smoke more than once (or twice if you're slow/he freaks out).

Basically the opening will be (for me when I did it): Have P. Blades already equipped/Ninja Run up two or three steps. Y (P. Blade)/X+A to cancel the attack recovery while damaging him by 5% (level 3 P. blades which can be doable but takes longer so don't recommend that) 10%-ish with level 5 P. blades.

"HAVE A SMOKE!" X+A if you see him reeling back. Otherwise you should've already dodged outside his smoke range.

Parry parry parry...

then you're clear from it.

Mubbed

How did you handle the GRADs and fenrirs in VR-30? I took out two fenrirs, then got destroyed by the GRADs.

Pole-arm the fenrir and zandatsu for the life regen. After the fenrir are taken care of pull out the sai and focus on stun-locking and attacking one of the GRAD while simultaneously using it as cover from the other.

demidar

Thanks Seks.

One thing to add, unleash your charged pincer attack AFTER he reforms, not while he's still a head. Dude takes less damage as just a head. As long as you hit him as he's running towards you you'll deal full damage.

As for the smoke phase itself, parry everything. Don't dodge. But outside of smoke you want to try to dodge everything if you can. Since 1) dodging will also DAMAGE him due to i-frames if you're facing him during the "berserker barrage" attack and 2) free damage due to the i-frames and "offensive" in the offensive dodge attack/dodge.

If you're good he shouldn't smoke more than once (or twice if you're slow/he freaks out).

Basically the opening will be (for me when I did it): Have P. Blades already equipped/Ninja Run up two or three steps. Y (P. Blade)/X+A to cancel the attack recovery while damaging him by 5% (level 3 P. blades which can be doable but takes longer so don't recommend that) 10%-ish with level 5 P. blades.

"HAVE A SMOKE!" X+A if you see him reeling back. Otherwise you should've already dodged outside his smoke range.

Parry parry parry...

then you're clear from it.

If the player is lucky he may not even bother using smoke. I had a few fights with him where I pounded him quickly. He only did a jump attack and maybe a rush, before doing his Lorentz Force throws.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I hate when Monsoon says something like "I'VE ALREADY WON" and then he does this weird ass long-distance combo :/

I LOVE that part because that's where the vocals kick in.

I also hate that part because that's where I would often completely fail to parry.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Someone should see if the Solid Snake sword works on outside Japan region games.

Sephzilla

If the player is lucky he may not even bother using smoke. I had a few fights with him where I pounded him quickly. He only did a jump attack and maybe a rush, before doing his Lorentz Force throws.

If you're really good with the scissor blades you can knock him down to 70% pronto and just completely bypass the smoke phase. Seriously, I hate the smoke phase. I hate that the rematch with Monsoon's body double starts in that.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Ah yes, the long Monsoon combo where you line up for it, parry the first few hits properly, then the cameraman slips in a puddle of water and then you eat the next hit and have to frantically get back into parrying the rest.

Such a shame because the smoke phase with Monsoon is my favorite fight sequence in the whole game - it was like parrying was made just for that and nothing else, and then they made it universal because it's the only reliable set of attacks that can be parried and the camera actually stays put the entire time.

Hystzen

I kind of like the smoke phase it always same directions he comes from

chapter 5 spoilers
plus after you beat the mistral body double you think your safe get to door PUFF smoke then monsoon double jumps out that was damn amazing on first play

Sephzilla

I kind of like the smoke phase it always same directions he comes from

chapter 5 spoilers
plus after you beat the mistral body double you think your safe get to door PUFF smoke then monsoon double jumps out that was damn amazing on first play

I figured a second Monsoon fight was coming after I beat Mistral BD, but I expected it to be in a separate room. Then suddenly BOOM Monsoon BD is in your face, that was actually a clever way to throw him in.

Defunkled

How in Christ's name are you supposed to finish Mission 19 (side-scrolling fists only)? The last wave is just too much.
BTW, I know this has been said before, but the stock wiggling is truly random. Whether you get out of a Mastiff grab is completely and utterly left up to chance regardless of how you shake the stick. How does stuff like this make it through the whole design process? Not one person said "This is FUCKING STUPID. Why is this in the game?"

jett

D-Member
How in Christ's name are you supposed to finish Mission 19 (side-scrolling fists only)? The last wave is just too much.

Forget about punching. Just do the three-kick combo, it's much more damaging. Just evade and block when you have to. There's not much to it.

Mubbed

What`s the quickest method to achieve zandatsu against the mastiff without the perfect parry (does cutting off their limbs speed up the process)? Trying to beat 027 within the target time.
Kick, Punch, Kick, Punch seems to do the trick.

velociraptor

Just completed this game. Spent about two days playing.

Oh my God - it was brilliant. Generally I am not too hot on action games (besides God Of War and Devil May Cry), but I was hooked from the beginning.

Too bad the art direction and graphics were abysmal. Camera was also a nuisance during some boss battles. Parrying in succession is a bitch.

Also, the music was hit and miss. I like some of the music (Bladewolf battle, Sundowner battle, Sam battle, Metal Gear battle, final boss battle), but the rest sucked.

I'll probably replay the game on hard mode although I doubt I'll ever be able to get S ranks or *shudders* no damage against all bosses. I suspect you will have to be a fucking pro to be able to pull that off, particularly against Monsoon.

Disappointed that Wolf didn't join in the action.

Sephzilla

Yahtzee is so boring lol

It seems he plays a surface level game, just like the other complainers.

AND it seems he plays most of the game in blade mode.

HE COMPLAINS ABOUT THE PARRY!

the mechanic explained in the TUTORIAL, and then on R00 AGAIN by Boris.

I knew I didn't like that guy.

Yahtzee also gave a positive endorsement of DmC didnt he? That should say everything

But in general, I only watch Yahtzee for basic entertainment. His actual taste in games is a bit questionable.

Sephzilla

Nah, not really, actually. He felt it was pretty hit or miss.

I didn't watch it actually, I'm behind on my Yahtzee. I just heard from the grapevine that he more or less gave it a thumbs up even though he railed on certain parts of it.

I still stand by my original statement though - Yahtzee is for basic entertainment. His actual taste in video games is questionable.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yahtzee is Yahtzee. He, like anybody, has a certain gaming flavour. Games need to do specific things, or be designed in a special way, to really make him feel something. He's never really shown an affiliation or interest in mechanically deep and rewarding titles, not necessarily because he dislikes them, but just because they're not what interests him about the medium. He tends to gravitate towards stuff like Silent Hill, No More Heroes, and Killer 7: games that put a lot of emphasis on atmosphere and unique story telling through gameplay and art.

Listening to him as an objective critic on all genres is silly, even if he does review them. Often he just doesn't "get it". It would be like me reviewing most sports games, or car sims. I don't know what I'm talking about, and it will show in my taste and writing.

Hystzen

Yahtzee also gave a positive endorsement of DmC didnt he? That should say everything

But in general, I only watch Yahtzee for basic entertainment. His actual taste in games is a bit questionable.

nah he kind of ripped it apart about its story and trying to hard.

I just think he slowly starting to notice he hates modern gaming really, I watch just for the jokes now but never see him as a serious reviewer

Yahtzee is Yahtzee. He, like anybody, has a certain gaming flavour. Games need to do specific things, or be designed in a special way, to really make him feel something. He's never really shown an affiliation or interest in mechanically deep and rewarding titles, not necessarily because he dislikes them, but just because they're not what interests him about the medium. He tends to gravitate towards stuff like Silent Hill, No More Heroes, and Killer 7: games that put a lot of emphasis on atmosphere and unique story telling through gameplay and art.

Listening to him as an objective critic on all genres is silly, even if he does review them. Often he just doesn't "get it". It would be like me reviewing most sports games, or car sims. I don't know what I'm talking about, and it will show in my taste and writing.

Yeah, pretty much this. I think he even admitted as much in his DMC4, Ninja Gaiden 2, and more recently DmC video(s). He just spams the main attack buttons, but seems to at least appreciate the genre in some fashion.

Sephzilla

Pretty much this. He has some fairly specific tastes, and there are some games he reviews that obviously just don't click with him.

As frustrating as it is, I LOVE seeing people complain about "broken" mechanics like the parry in games when they work 100% flawlessly.

"enemies just appear"

They play games for story, and somehow miss the explanations for the parry, AND the enemies cloaking in and out?

So many of those comments are based on pure ignorant convenience.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I always thought the point of Yahtzee reviews was pure entertainment over substance, you don't tune into Zero Punctuation to hear a good review. You tune in for a few laughs, do people actually take him seriously?

Top Bottom