• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Sephzilla

As frustrating as it is, I LOVE seeing people complain about "broken" mechanics like the parry in games when they work 100% flawlessly.

"enemies just appear"

They play games for story, and somehow miss the explanations for the parry, AND the enemies cloaking in and out?

So many of those comments are based on pure ignorant convenience.

Oh man, stuff like that frustrates me so much

Veelk

Banned
Yahtzee is Yahtzee. He, like anybody, has a certain gaming flavour. Games need to do specific things, or be designed in a special way, to really make him feel something. He's never really shown an affiliation or interest in mechanically deep and rewarding titles, not necessarily because he dislikes them, but just because they're not what interests him about the medium. He tends to gravitate towards stuff like Silent Hill, No More Heroes, and Killer 7: games that put a lot of emphasis on atmosphere and unique story telling through gameplay and art.

Listening to him as an objective critic on all genres is silly, even if he does review them. Often he just doesn't "get it". It would be like me reviewing most sports games, or car sims. I don't know what I'm talking about, and it will show in my taste and writing.

I wouldn't mind it if he made these complaints actually paying attention to the story, the thing his tastes supposedly cater to. He complained about Kojima going out of his way to make Raiden cool and unstoppable, both of which are either patently untrue or Kojima REALLY sucks at those things with how much Raiden is mocked throughout the game and how he gets his ass kicked by Sam, Armstrong, and is emotionally broken by Monsoon (with the heavy implication that he'd have lost that fight if he didn't accept his Ripper self). And that is ignoring MGS2 and 4, where he got it even worse.

jett

D-Member
I always thought the point of Yahtzee reviews was pure entertainment over substance, you don't tune into Zero Punctuation to hear a good review. You tune in for a few laughs, do people actually take him seriously?

Where the laughs at in his garbage review of MGR?

Midou

What I didn't like about this yahtzee review was that he didn't seem to know about its collaborative nature with platinum games. He basically took it as a kojima written purely MGS studio game, which it isn't, and I could see how that might confuse someone.

Also Kojima likes plenty of famous western films...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I always thought the point of Yahtzee reviews was pure entertainment over substance, you don't tune into Zero Punctuation to hear a good review. You tune in for a few laughs, do people actually take him seriously?
I don't think so. But usually he takes valid frustrations and some subjective things and he blows them out of proportion for comedic effect (see: chest high walls). I haven't watched the video, but if he's complaining about the parry system I don't know what to say. It's pretty much perfect and lenient as fuck.

I don't think so. But usually he takes valid frustrations and some subjective things and he blows them out of proportion for comedic effect (see: chest high walls). I haven't watched the video, but if he's complaining about the parry system I don't know what to say. It's pretty much perfect and lenient as fuck.

He didn't so much as complain about it as he complained about how you learn it. He didn't start using it until halfway through because he didn't know about it.

"It didn't teach me!"

Most people apparently didn't select "Yes." to the tutorial offered to you after starting a new game.

Noahd42

Banned
I think he missed the point. This isn't a serious game. That being said, he is right about a lot of things like the stealth and parry mechanics. Stealth opportunities were a nice change of pace but they felt clunky and you couldn't execute people a la Batman and stay in stealth mode which was my biggest concern. The bosses aren't hard with parry though, so I feel like any complaints about difficulty are bogus. I never found myself fast fowarding through the dialogue. It's only a 6-8 hour game...Also, my PS3 did overheat playing this game so that gave me a chuckle.

Sephzilla

I think he missed the point. This isn't a serious game. That being said, he is right about a lot of things like the stealth and parry mechanics. Stealth opportunities were a nice change of pace but they felt clunky and you couldn't execute people a la Batman and stay in stealth mode which was my biggest concern. The bosses aren't hard with parry though, so I feel like any complaints about difficulty are bogus. I never found myself fast fowarding through the dialogue. It's only a 6-8 hour game...Also, my PS3 did overheat playing this game so that gave me a chuckle.

Yeah you can. I've stealth killed plenty of people and never been noticed.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I did that for Vanquish for challenge 6 so I could hear shit like the Crystal Viper's footsteps and what enemies were still alive.

Really gave me a new appreciation for the sound design in that game.

and yeah I played so much Bayonetta at one point that I turned off the music simply because listening to Mysterious Destiny one more time would have caused me physical harm

I can definitely understand turning off the music in these games to concentrate. I mean it's cool the first few playthroughs but if you're having trouble you just kinda want to focus on the game and the cues and the music at times can get in the way of that

Tizoc

Does anyone know what the names of the music tracks used in the veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery first trailer revealed/leaked for MGR way back in Early 2012 are?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, I think you've given me renewed interest in attempting to finish challenge 6 again.

I played with headphones on too so I could tell directions as well

It's a pretty amazing way to play the game thinking back

I did that for Vanquish for challenge 6 so I could hear shit like the Crystal Viper's footsteps and what enemies were still alive.

Really gave me a new appreciation for the sound design in that game.

and yeah I played so much Bayonetta at one point that I turned off the music simply because listening to Mysterious Destiny one more time would have caused me physical harm

I can definitely understand turning off the music in these games to concentrate. I mean it's cool the first few playthroughs but if you're having trouble you just kinda want to focus on the game and the cues and the music at times can get in the way of that

Outside of the boss fights and a few key setpieces, I wasn't too in love with Revengeance's soundtrack and tended to turn the BGM down. Usually the opposite tends to happen with me and these games.

...but more games should definitely use the procedural layering with their music, regardless of what type of music it actually is. Even the prior Metal Gear games could have benefited greatly from this (particularly 3 & 4).

Snake Eater uses it once and it's one of the best moments that entire game has.

Roto13

He takes himself seriously, which is reason enough not to watch his videos.

Also, The Escapist can go to hell.

Minamu

US DLC with UK import does NOT work it seems :( I still only have 20 missions in the VR section. I'm gonna need a video guide of all of these, this is just stupid :lol I did get gold on 2, 3 and 5 on my first try though. Haven't tried anything over 5.

Revven

I played the first 10 DLC VR missions; pretty decent fun... except when I got to VR Mission 10 (kill all enemies via Zandatsu). Mines that OHKO you? Not a big deal if you can just jump over them... BUT OH WAIT THERE'S OFFSCREEN RPG GUYS THAT CAN SHOOT YOU INTO THEM TO KILL YOU

Fuck that mission. :lol

Asriel

Yahtzee is Yahtzee. He, like anybody, has a certain gaming flavour. Games need to do specific things, or be designed in a special way, to really make him feel something. He's never really shown an affiliation or interest in mechanically deep and rewarding titles, not necessarily because he dislikes them, but just because they're not what interests him about the medium. He tends to gravitate towards stuff like Silent Hill, No More Heroes, and Killer 7: games that put a lot of emphasis on atmosphere and unique story telling through gameplay and art.

Listening to him as an objective critic on all genres is silly, even if he does review them. Often he just doesn't "get it". It would be like me reviewing most sports games, or car sims. I don't know what I'm talking about, and it will show in my taste and writing.

This is why it's so silly that Neogafers agonize over video game reviews.

I'm trying to play Revengence mode as fair as possible and not worry about ranks. If I have 3 Metal Gear enemies and two sword soldiers, why would I NOT go into Ripper mode?

Sephzilla

I'm trying to play Revengence mode as fair as possible and not worry about ranks. If I have 3 Metal Gear enemies and two sword soldiers, why would I NOT go into Ripper mode?

My advice for Revengeance mode would be to not worry about playing fair. You're in an environment where everything will kill you in a moment if you allow them. Leave your moral high ground at the door and embrace your inner Jack the Ripper.

Bedlam

Agreed on the procedural music layering, more game could benefit a ton by having that in. It added a lot to MGR's atmosphere.
Yep, that's what I'm thinking, too. I know of MGR and Monkey Island 2 (lol) that do something like this. Any other games?

@Yahtzee review: the guy was mad about Guitar Hero being too hard for him and his friends on higher difficulties. Never take anything he says seriously.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The controversy over Yahtzee always seems to break down to "are his bombastic opinions just a part of the act?"

Based on what I've watched and heard about the guy over time, I just assume that his opinions when "on stage" are exaggerated versions of his real tastes, but exaggeration nonetheless.

So it would be a bit weird if he took his own act too seriously, as he must realize it's all a part of the show. That doesn't mean we, the audience, are not seeing a look at the guy's general taste in games, in broad strokes.

Yahtzee once said he believed Hitler was right, so I wouldn't take anything he says on the show seriously. Read his Extra Punctuation column for more grounded, rational thoughts on the games he plays.

Defunkled

I cannot believe DLC VR Mission 23 relies so heavily on the AI's path finding ability. It is completely up to the AI if you get a Gold time or not.

Zampano

My advice for Revengeance mode would be to not worry about playing fair. You're in an environment where everything will kill you in a moment if you allow them. Leave your moral high ground at the door and embrace your inner Jack the Ripper.

What about powered up Fox Blade. Always feels a bit cheap to me!

From what I've gathered, getting S ranks with the Fox Blade is harder than if you're not using it, but GAF might have some tricks up its sleeve.
Nah, easy peasy if you go up to people, blade mode their legs off then swipe them across the chest for a Zandatsu. If you go for no damage, fast times, Zandatsus and some limb removals the lack of hits does nothing to impede your progress.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
S Ranking most stages is pretty easy regardless if you're actually trying for it

You can probably count the actual difficult ones on one hand

and most of those are made infinitely easier with the fox blade

If only you could bring it into VR missions....

Yahtzee doesn't even know what he's talking about these days is he?

MGR is so above DmC it's not even funny. If MGR had a good camera control it would seriously be in the top tier of all action games where DMC3 and co reside.

RangerBAD

So the new VR missions are definitely a nice change of pace and offer a lot of neat challenges. It's exactly what I needed. Any tips on VR15?

Minamu

Nah, easy peasy if you go up to people, blade mode their legs off then swipe them across the chest for a Zandatsu. If you go for no damage, fast times, Zandatsus and some limb removals the lack of hits does nothing to impede your progress.

S Ranking most stages is pretty easy regardless if you're actually trying for it

You can probably count the actual difficult ones on one hand

and most of those are made infinitely easier with the fox blade

If only you could bring it into VR missions....
Alright then I might go for it after all! :D Thanks!

JoeFenix

Mission 27 is a joke, right?

That's the hardest one imo, those Zandatsus would not work consistently against the Mastiffs.

I would try to break all their pieces until they turn completely blue and then wait for them to attack so you can get a perfect parry that leads into 10% slowdown blade mode.

That's the only way to consistently get the core on all 3 of them.

Haven't seen this yet, but knowing MGR, it's reception, and knowing Yahtzee, how afraid should I be (of this being a terrible review)?

If you love controlling a cool ass cyborg ninja, fast paced combat gameplay, memorable bosses, superb cut scenes and heart beating sound track then this game is for you.

How long this generation has been? Hundreds of games. This late into the cycle and MGR is one of the top 5 games.

Its that good

Yahtzee's opinions are irrelevant on this game. He disqualified himself in regards to DmC

Top Bottom