• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

chrono01

I'm not sure if it's common knowledge or not, so I figured I'd post this just in-case.

Apparently, if you activate Ripper-Mode, enter Blade-Mode, and then [while still in Blade-Mode] de-activate Ripper-Mode, you'll stay in Blade-Mode only it will be at an even slower time/pace. It's basically the equivalent of a Perfect Parry, but you can do it whenever.

It might help those having issues getting the Zandatsu on faster enemies [such as VR 27]. If you have difficulty with the
Armstrong
boss fight slashing the debris [I've never had an issue personally, but I know many have], it might help you there too.

It it's already known, my apologies.

Tip: Use with Wig B for even more fun.

RangerBAD

Haven't seen this yet, but knowing MGR, it's reception, and knowing Yahtzee, how afraid should I be (of this being a terrible review)?

Completely ignore it.

That's the hardest one imo, those Zandatsus would not work consistently against the Mastiffs.

I would try to break all their pieces until they turn completely blue and then wait for them to attack so you can get a perfect parry that leads into 10% slowdown blade mode.

That's the only way to consistently get the core on all 3 of them.

They just had to include those fucking trolls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqJSowRhbns&list=SPdn1N5txRyg68Z1pts0QbWW77LhiwO_dO&index=62 Oh, man, dat Snake speaking wooden sword.

If you love controlling a cool ass cyborg ninja, fast paced combat gameplay, memorable bosses, superb cut scenes and heart beating sound track then this game is for you.

How long this generation has been? Hundreds of games. This late into the cycle and MGR is one of the top 5 games.

Its that good

Yahtzee's opinions are irrelevant on this game. He disqualified himself in regards to DmC

Trust me, I've beaten this three times consecutively (haven't done that in a non-fighter in 5 years). I know the glory of MGR. I can appreciate that Yahtzee's opinions match his taste's, so I don't expect him to always get what I like.

Now things like this are harder to forgive:

What I didn't like about this yahtzee review was that he didn't seem to know about its collaborative nature with platinum games. He basically took it as a kojima written purely MGS studio game, which it isn't, and I could see how that might confuse someone.

To not note this game being developed by the makers of Bayonetta and Vanquish seems a little off since a lot of reviewers, fans of the genre or not, mentioned this iirc. Then again, if he's played those games and had the same reaction, MGR might've been judged even worse.

Dave1988

Whoever had the bright idea to make the traumatized Riden section just before Monsoon a ranked battle that requires a No Damage bonus for an S rank on Revengeance deserves a kick in the balls. I did it with Wig B and the Fox Blade but who the fuck thought this would be a good idea for a ranked battle?

Whoever had the bright idea to make the traumatized Riden section just before Monsoon a ranked battle that requires a No Damage bonus for an S rank on Revengeance deserves a kick in the balls. I did it with Wig B and the Fox Blade but who the fuck thought this would be a good idea for a ranked battle?

It was the same guy that decided to put up the invisible wall in R-04's lobby. He was just getting started there. :p

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Eh, the more annoying part there is the slow speed. I heard you can move faster with blade mode, but blade mode plants me. And you can't ninja run/slide to get around that.

Anyway, Sundowner was laughably easy to beat no-damage on Very Hard (with the Ripper Mode rig).

"YOU CAN BE CRUELER THAN THAT, JACK!" *Rush* BLADE MODE ON/RIPPER ON TO DOUBLE TIME IT.

(Line up blade as he's rushing with shield)

SLAM!

(Line up blade with two guide lines to cut his shield)

BAM! Stun!

P. Blade Level 5 equipped. Y/Triangle attack.

"WHAT THE FUCK!?"

*Equip the Stinger/anti-air RPG take out helicopter as he's stunned*

Y as he's getting up. Stunned. 60% health off.

Shield cut->stun. 40% Shield cut->stun.

"OKAY NOW I'M PISSED!"

20% Y him quickly as the helicopter comes.

10%, riding time.

Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y to shoot debris.

ATATATATATATATATA the roof.

QTE. Done.

Took all of five minutes. But
Sam
is doing me in in regards to not being able to P. Blade Level 5 cheese them for quick damage. Guess I have to parry better. :(

Hello JP,
any chance you awesome guys could please patch a music select for the VR missions

would love to hear the boss/stage music when having to replay those missions

totally joking :p

but totally serious as well -_-

(of course if it's gonna take time away from Rising 2/Bayo2/ Wonderful101/ Vanquish 2 then whenever you have free time

* just venting because I suck at the VR missions and the vr track is taking over "A Stranger I Remain" in my head :(

Astral

The Mastiff have the most broken A.I. on harder difficulties. They attack you from off-screen, they're relentless, they try to grab you every few seconds, and it's just too overwhelming to fight more than one. They're apeshit. The only saving grace is the ridiculous damage you do from perfect parrying them in Revengeance. On Very Hard you're better off just going Ripper Mode though.

jett

D-Member
Hello JP,
any chance you awesome guys could please patch a music select for the VR missions

(of course if it's gonna take time away from Rising 2/Bayo2/ Wonderful101/ Vanquish 2 then whenever you have free time

* just venting because I suck at the VR missions and the vr track is taking over "A Stranger I Remain" in my head :(

Turn off music and voice acting when doing VR missions. Otherwise you might go insane.

Hello JP,

Custom Soundtrack instead of more of these VR missions. I would have actually paid for the former.

RangerBAD

Use wooden sword and get no kills for S Rank.

Defunkled

I love how homing missiles go straight through Raptors on VR 27. Just saw one go right through the center body mass. Also, you have to rely on the lock-on because you need to quick fire the missiles. GUESS HOW MUCH FUN THAT IS

Also shout out to Raiden for firing a rocket at the enemy halfway across the map instead of the one that is locked-on and literally right in front of me.

Hypron

Use wooden sword and get no kills for S Rank.

You need to finish the area fast though. The no-kill bonus in itself is not sufficient to guarantee an S rank.

On another note, the exploding mines in the DLC VR missions are fucking annoying, especially when the camera sucks so much in closed spaces. Why do they have to kill you in one hit?

From what I've gathered, getting S ranks with the Fox Blade is harder than if you're not using it, but GAF might have some tricks up its sleeve.

I S-ranked almost every fight using the Fox blade. Because it makes it so easy to destroy enemies, you can take zero damage and battles last only a few seconds. The time bonus and no damage bonus were usually enough to achieve the highest rank. It was usually the boss battles in which it wasn't so conducive on its own.

Turn off music and voice acting when doing VR missions. Otherwise you might go insane.

I had to do this for the original set, and I'm going to have to do it for the next thirty.

got to my final vr left on the dlc, left 27 for last.

i swear if you don't get that slice in the box the FIRST time you are sometimes screwed no matter how many times you slice in the box

the call aunt datty mission types demand a high level of precision

going to bed a bit frustrated! oh well, one more.

BTW, you can use the pole arm to "defuse" mines, just attack then jump away. you can make a few shortcuts or things a bit easier with it.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
To not note this game being developed by the makers of Bayonetta and Vanquish seems a little off since a lot of reviewers, fans of the genre or not, mentioned this iirc. Then again, if he's played those games and had the same reaction, MGR might've been judged even worse.

Yeah, I don't take his "reviews" seriously anyway, (his word choice and delivery can make me laugh even if he's hating on a game I like) but it gets my pants in a bunch when people call Rising out for being a "poor MGS game", or having a "poor story for MGS". Like the games in the main story arc are the crème de la crème of story telling...

Arozay

Started my Revengeance run, seems the same as very hard in regards to spawns and it's only damage taken, amount of swearing by me, parry damage and rocket speed that seems different.

Sliders are still the worst, or I lack depth perception (Sai makes up for this)

Also turns out LQ is stunlockable like Sam, going from slide to launcher to palm strike.

I did it with No Damage.

Start with the guy walking near the bus. Kill him and sometimes it'll attract another dude. Kill him (easy to fluff this bit up).

Go all the way to the left side and you'll see another dude you can walk behind. Kill him.

Then go behind the lorry and you'll see a guy pacing back and forth there. Kill him.

Finally go behind the tank/van thing and you'll see another cyborg approaching. Wait a bit and you'll be able to sneak behind him. Kill him.

Then watch the cat scene...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Good lord, I cannot believe how much more striking this game looks running on a CRT.

I'm playing it on an HD capable CRT display which, of course, cannot actually resolve all of the pixels in a 1280x720 image. The display characteristics of a CRT really produce an image that is virtually free of jaggies and extremely vivid to look at.

Play this same game on some 1080p LCD monitor and you're going to be left with a face full of ugly but on a CRT the game is f*cking gorgeous. All of the flaws are obscured while the superior refresh rate and analog vibrancy really stand out.

Seriously, if you've been using a flat panel for a while you owe it to yourself to check out an HD CRT. Sure, it won't have the razor sharp image quality you get from an LCD, but the other aspects are so much more striking. Heck, try a CRT monitor if you want additional sharpness.

Dave1988

29D.jpg

08E.jpg

The Revengeance vids of this guy were a major help in getting those trophies.
The Murasama and Wig B also halped out, too :p

Onto the VR missions now.

Figured I would start by getting S-rank with Sam on Revengeance (since he is the entire chapter). My process for how I did it (seems pretty foolproof):

1. Grab that health pack right near the start of the battle (for some extra BP). Stay locked on to him the entire match. If you get hit, restart (obviously).

2. Start running away, when Sam comes to slash at you (he initiates this instantly after you are a distance away) do the offensive dodge, stinger him (gives you like 3 hits), offensive dodge. Then just run away and repeat this till he is at 66.66% health. You should have a 40-50 hit combo trivially easy.

3. Initiate the second phase of battle so Sam has only his fists. Just offensive dodge every time he tries to grab you then wail away on him for a bit, repeat. Pretty easy.

4. Third stage:
Stay at like mid range and wait for Sam to initiate attacks (at this point in the battle, using stinger will usually cause Sam to be flung way back giving you some good distance from him). After most of his attacks he just kind of chills out for a little bit giving you an opportunity to stinger him.

Jumping attack - offensive dodge when he is about to hit you, then stinger him.

Three-slash attack - offensive dodge (or parry if you are a wimp I guess) the three hits then stinger him. Sometimes on the third slash he will stop attacking, if he does this just offensive dodge away.

Single slash attack - offensive dodge, stinger.

Throws rocks at you - offensive dodge out of the way of the rocks, then stinger.

5. When he is at 10% health wait for Sam to initiate an attack. Whatever it is just offensive dodge - if it is the final attack that lets you finish the battle press Triangle + Circle to finish it, otherwise you just dodged out of the way.

Wasn't too hard.

noobasuar

Banned
Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong during the final boss battle....every time he throws the second pillar at me I can't get the angle to cut in half. I've tried like 100 times but I can never get it to work. :(

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong during the final boss battle....every time he throws the second pillar at me I can't get the angle to cut in half. I've tried like 100 times but I can never get it to work. :(

Adjust aim with left stick, then adjust trajectory of blade swing with right stick to slice at least three of the four boxes.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The game does kinda shit all over America to multiple levels beyond parody, so fitting its gonna do the least well there I guess!

SUPERIOR EUROPEAN EXTREME TASTES.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
VR mission 19 is single handedly making me hate the parry mechanic.

I really don't want to play this game anymore lol

VR mission 19 is single handedly making me hate the parry mechanic.

I really don't want to play this game anymore lol

VR Mission 19 Mini-Guide:

Part 1: Stinger, blade mode cancel, stinger, blade mode cancel, repeat until dead.

Part 2: Use the first swing of the pincer over and over on the group of enemies (try to single out one if you can). The only danger here is if you end up destroying all of the enemies at the same time making the zandatsu hard/impossible to do on all of them.

Part 3: Fuck these guys. Stinger, dodge move, something holy shit. They seem to hesitate if they are off camera (I am not sure)? Just stay moving, try to concentrate.

jett

D-Member
iOAyvoPaqtL9D.png

RIP action game genre

I can only hope that's wrong or that his expectations were abnormally high.

After checking some numbers Bayonetta didn't make the top ten in its debut month, and at most sold below 170k on the PS3/360, but not combined. Hopefully MGR beats that.

Part 3: Fuck these guys. Stinger, dodge move, something holy shit. They seem to hesitate if they are off camera (I am not sure)? Just stay moving, try to concentrate.

I used the tactical sai for the dogs. If you're focused on one, the others tend to leave you alone. Just keep hitting them with the sai until the prompt for the blade mode QTE appears. The second area is easily the most difficult.

Top Bottom