• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

I used the tactical sai for the dogs. If you're focused on one, the others tend to leave you alone. Just keep hitting them with the sai until the prompt for the blade mode QTE appears. The second area is easily the most difficult.

I didn't have any trouble with the dogs when I got to them, I just didn't have much of a strategy for it. I just stingered to one and concentrated on it. The second area is literally near impossible to fail if you just use the first swing of the pincer blade over and over (you keep your distance making it impossible to get hit, the two blade guys will get juggled, and no limbs will get chopped off so enemies don't disappear).

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
I'm really surprised there isn't much talk of the VR Mission DLC. Anyone play it can share their thoughts on it?

jett

D-Member
I'm really surprised there isn't much talk of the VR Mission DLC. Anyone play it can share their thoughts on it?

It's more VR Missions. People don't like VR Missions in MGR, so people don't care to talk about them.

But really, some dwarf gekko missions aside it's more of the same and nothing interesting.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I can only hope that's wrong or that his expectations were abnormally high.

After checking some numbers Bayonetta didn't make the top ten in its debut month, and at most sold below 170k on the PS3/360, but not combined. Hopefully MGR beats that.

Top 5 is a dudebro party with Crysis 3, Aliens, and Dead Space 3. Since we get weekly for everything else I forget what a shooty alien shootan month February was.

I didn't have any trouble with the dogs when I got to them, I just didn't have much of a strategy for it. I just stingered to one and concentrated on it. The second area is literally near impossible to fail if you just use the first swing of the pincer blade over and over.

How do you reliably get a zandatsu on the hammer guys though? There's been a bunch of times I've attacked them, cut off a limb, got preoccupied with another enemy and had them vanish using active camo. Can you perfect parry their hammer swings to get the prompt like with other humanoid cyborgs? They're the only enemy I've never stunned that way, not counting parry-counters on another enemy that just happened to hit them.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
The dogs are fine

my main problem is the sword dudes

because I'm reacting to their attacks out of range I guess

so when I try to parry raiden just goes into an attack animation and gets hit

if I try to move closer they have that boot they like to throw out, which is annoying because it's fast and unblockable(? I can't tell what the fuck is user error or just straight up unblockable in this game. Same problem I had with Darksiders block/parry mechanic)

if I try to dance around the range I get hit if they catch me sometimes because I guess it doesn't count as a direction if you're already moving/not starting from neutral.

I don't find this challenging or interesting. All this is doing for me is making me hate how the mechanic works that way and hope that this shit stays in this game and doesn't make it's way into any of their other titles.

Part 2: Use the first swing of the pincer over and over on the group of enemies (try to single out one if you can). The only danger here is if you end up destroying all of the enemies at the same time making the zandatsu hard/impossible to do on all of them.

I'm just gonna do this for a bit

Figure accidentally killing enemies is less frustrating than accidentally being killed by them/inconsistent play mechanics.

How do you reliably get a zandatsu on the hammer guys though? There's been a bunch of times I've attacked them, cut off a limb, got preoccupied with another enemy and had them vanish using active camo. Can you perfect parry their hammer swings to get the prompt like with other humanoid cyborgs? They're the only enemy I've never stunned that way, not counting parry-counters on another enemy that just happened to hit them.

If you use the first swing of the pincer blade (not charged), their limbs will never get cut off IIRC. They will only die via damage this way.

noobasuar

Banned
Adjust aim with left stick, then adjust trajectory of blade swing with right stick to slice at least three of the four boxes.

Thanks man! I totally forget you could move the left stick and I tried cutting that second pillar for like a hour by only using the right stick, which is pretty much impossible.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

The hammer guys are easy enough by themselves

Just use the pole arm. do one or two hits then jump cancel and repeat, dodging accordingly when they attack/parry your attacks

Chips down their armor slowly but surely

RangerBAD

There are a lot more fun ones in this batch, but there are definitely missions that want to make you throw your controller through the wall. I haven't touched 27 or 30 yet, but there's one that's Streets of Rage-esque and you have to beat stuff barehanded and it's dreadful. I like the Streets of Rage/Final Fight homage, but the task is pretty dumb hard.

ezekial45

Banned
iOAyvoPaqtL9D.png

RIP action game genre

Well that's interesting. Did he mean they didn't meet estimations? Or that it significantly underperformed.

I'm sure it will get a sequel. The success in JPN and Europe (I think) and along with Kojima's excitement for working with PG will make sure of that.

Absinthian

Neo Member
I love this game. I don't like MGS... Maybe I'll check out the next MGS considering this game is canon.

I will never buy another EA game again... Just in spite... F••k EA

Figured I would start by getting S-rank with Sam on Revengeance (since he is the entire chapter). My process for how I did it (seems pretty foolproof):

1. Grab that health pack right near the start of the battle (for some extra BP). Stay locked on to him the entire match. If you get hit, restart (obviously).

that's the hardest part for this battle. cutting the paper boxes. sometimes the health pack gets stuck in a rock.

that's the hardest part for this battle. cutting the paper boxes. sometimes the health pack gets stuck in a rock.

Using my strategy I did not actually need to get those health packs, I was 800 BP over. I just recommend grabbing the first one because he talks for a bit at the beginning letting you get it with zero trouble.

Carbonox

I reckon EA dudebro's expectations were either super high or he just wanted it to sell more in general like us fans. No matter how well it sold, I'd always want it to sell more. It deserves it.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
if you get the hit count you don't need the BP for the S I think

man I'd rather S rank Revengeance again than play these VR missions anymore

I was really offbase comparing these to Vanquish's challenges. At least with those I didn't feel like I was fighting against the game system

Prolly need to step away from the game for a minute. Because right now I feel like these things are lowering my overall opinion of it as a whole

RangerBAD

I reckon EA dudebro's expectations were either super high or he just wanted it to sell more in general like us fans. No matter how well it sold, I'd always want it to sell more. It deserves it.

I really feel the sales will actually be more than a lot of people expect and I definitely think it'll outsell DmC.

The dogs are fine

my main problem is the sword dudes

because I'm reacting to their attacks out of range I guess

so when I try to parry raiden just goes into an attack animation and gets hit

if I try to move closer they have that boot they like to throw out, which is annoying because it's fast and unblockable(? I can't tell what the fuck is user error or just straight up unblockable in this game. Same problem I had with Darksiders block/parry mechanic)

if I try to dance around the range I get hit if they catch me sometimes because I guess it doesn't count as a direction if you're already moving/not starting from neutral.

I don't find this challenging or interesting. All this is doing for me is making me hate how the mechanic works that way and hope that this shit stays in this game and doesn't make it's way into any of their other titles.

I'm just gonna do this for a bit

Figure accidentally killing enemies is less frustrating than accidentally being killed by them/inconsistent play mechanics.

You should never really try to parry sword elites, in any VR mission or story mode. All it does is waste time, and if you end up parrying one you should evade cancel so they get knocked out of their series of swings. For mission 19, realize that the sword elites run way faster than the hammer cyborgs, so if you run in a loop around the arena they'll get separated from each other. Just run, slide away, charge the pincers, and then hit both sword elites before dodging backwards and repeating. Once they're weak enough and their arms are too damaged to use the sword they're easy to launch and beat up. Sais work great on the hammer cyborgs, but in general they're not that hard and not nearly as resilient as they look.

I got 19 on the fifth try, which is reasonable compared to the dozens I spent on 18 and the entire day I spent on 17.

NTom64

Started playing it earlier today. I'm on...Chapter 3, I think? Whatever the Chapter with the
first appearance of those Gorilla-like mechs
is.

Very much enjoying it so far, even though I'm pretty terrible at the action genre in general. Parrying especially, though I'm slowly coming to grips with it. Feels like a game I'm going to have to play through all the way on normal and then again on hard to appreciate it.

The intro chapter is one of the best gaming moments I've had this gen though tbh. Nothing like
running down an exploding clock tower and cutting a fuckin' Metal Gear Ray in half
to get the blood pumping.

Deitus

Started playing it earlier today. I'm on...Chapter 3, I think? Whatever the Chapter with the
first appearance of those Gorilla-like mechs
is.

You are referring to the sewers, correct? That would be chapter 2.

The intro chapter is one of the best gaming moments I've had this gen though tbh. Nothing like
running down an exploding clock tower and cutting a fuckin' Metal Gear Ray in half

Trust me, you have only just begun.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I'll take 5th in a pretty dudebro'd up busy month! You're alright AMERICA!

I totally agree. But man, you're gonna be in for a treat when you hit the later parts of the game. Enjoy the ride.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Fire Emblem sold 117k and isn't in the top 10. So that at least gives some hope that MGR could be over 200k, which would be great news.

Pretty much. You can't compare this month with last month without actual sales numbers... the rankings are completely skewed because last month was dead as far as releases are concerned.

I'm betting on the EA twitter overestimating what Rising should have sold in the U.S. versus Konami's actual projections. We'll see later tonight what the real numbers were, but I'm not convinced yet that MGR performed that poorly in the U.S. I imagine some high numbers for the top 6, but then a sharp drop.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
You should never really try to parry sword elites, in any VR mission or story mode. All it does is waste time, and if you end up parrying one you should evade cancel so they get knocked out of their series of swings. For mission 19, realize that the sword elites run way faster than the hammer cyborgs, so if you run in a loop around the arena they'll get separated from each other. Just run, slide away, charge the pincers, and then hit both sword elites before dodging backwards and repeating. Once they're weak enough and their arms are too damaged to use the sword they're easy to launch and beat up. Sais work great on the hammer cyborgs, but in general they're not that hard and not nearly as resilient as they look.

This just makes it harder

because if you take a limb off and try to lead them they just stealth camo and you fail the mission

This just makes it harder

because if you take a limb off and try to lead them they just stealth camo and you fail the mission

MTMBStudios said that if you keep using the first pincer swing and don't continue the combo, it will never remove limbs. I'll have to try that out.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
MTMBStudios said that if you keep using the first pincer swing and don't continue the combo, it will never remove limbs. I'll have to try that out.

Well that's wrong. What prompted me to post was that specific incident happening to me.

I got it doing the parry method. Just needed to step away for a minute

All that's left is 18, which should be a cake walk since it's just combat and I don't have to worry about taking cores

Well that's wrong. What prompted me to post was that specific incident happening to me.

All that's left is 18, which should be a cake walk since it's just combat and I don't have to worry about taking cores

Good to know.

...Have you tried 18 yet? It's one hit deaths...

I don't know what game your playing - I just did the sequence again, first try. Their limbs don't come off. I just went up to them, pincer swing (do not charge), jump as soon as hit connects to cancel (and also to jump away at the same time obviously), wait for them to run back to me, pincer swing, repeat. I managed to get them all to a pure blue state, no limbs removed.

Edit: There, I have done it three times in a row. Zero limbs removed. I can make a video if you want I guess (although that would be a pain as I do not have my capture gear setup).

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really care that much

It didn't work for me but I got it my way and I'll never play it again so

I'll just take your word for it and assume I did something wrong

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
the first two waves are easy

wave 3 is what I keep losing at

It'd be even easier if the stage wasn't uniform so it was easier to remember what corner you need to be in when the waves spawn, but if I get in the right one I can counter the mastiff jump off the wall like 90 percent of the time.(and the QTE usually kills the other one)

the first two waves are easy

wave 3 is what I keep losing at

It'd be even easier if the stage wasn't uniform so it was easier to remember what corner you need to be in when the waves spawn, but if I get in the right one I can counter the mastiff jump off the wall like 90 percent of the time.(and the QTE usually kills the other one)

Yeah just know that once you have beaten the fenrir in wave 3 you have beaten the whole mission.

Top Bottom