• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
camera changes perspective while waiting for mastiff to jump off the wall causing me to miss parry

this game is dumb lol

I'll get the plat tomorrow.

Quick question about that "Hard Mode No Health or Blade Mode Upgrades" emblem: Can you still buy the rest of the moveset, and are weapon upgrades also exempt?

Man I didn't even know that was an emblem. I never bought any health upgrades and I didn't buy a blade mode upgrade until the very very very end. Is it ok to find the health ones?

Also, dat Fox Blade. I've never seen a preorder bonus that was actually useful. It makes the game stupid easy but it makes me feel like a badass. Plus I already beat the game so I don't mind running around just wrecking shit.

fox blade is sweet. but i only used it to farm the rest of the armored units at the end. it's a one hit kill blade.

They should have the unlockable option to use it during VR missions, or have a bonus mode with two of every enemy type constantly respawning in a wide open area, yet you have the FOX blade

They should have the unlockable option to use it during VR missions, or have a bonus mode with two of every enemy type constantly respawning in a wide open area, yet you have the FOX blade

i think the fox blade maybe defeats the purpose of the vr missions. being able to use it (and be cyborg ninja) in one vr mission would be neat I guess.

Exactly. I want revenge on mission 18 and 19.

18 and 19 don't offend me much really. The time par on those means that just beating them once means you get gold. The sub-weapon ones are the ones that offend me. Well, maybe 18 offends me a little because the arena makes it hard to know where enemies will spawn.

Defunkled

Sometimes I think "the camera can't get any worse, right?" and then it does. I've failed VR 30 twice in a row because the camera insists I inspect a wall instead of enemies. Usually it's tolerable, but when it's bad, it's fucking bad.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Quick question about that "Hard Mode No Health or Blade Mode Upgrades" emblem: Can you still buy the rest of the moveset, and are weapon upgrades also exempt?

pretty sure everything is fair game but health and fuel cell

this includes health upgrades found in stages

It's more VR Missions. People don't like VR Missions in MGR, so people don't care to talk about them.

But really, some dwarf gekko missions aside it's more of the same and nothing interesting.

Also more frustrating. I thought that melee-only mission would be fun.

WRONG

I haven't tried chapter select on a different difficulty yet, do I still get to keep all my stuff, or is that only for the difficulty I've already completed?

You can't select chapters on a different difficulty until you complete every chapter on that difficulty first. All your unlockables and upgrades remain as long as you're on the same save file. However, if you select "new game" you will lose all upgrades and purchases.

You keep everything as long as you don't select "New Game".

You can't select chapters on a different difficulty until you complete every chapter on that difficulty first. All your unlockables and upgrades remain as long as you're on the same save file. However, if you select "new game" you will lose all upgrades and purchases.

Ahh ok. Thank you gentlemen.

Also, what does the third wig do? The one you get from all 30 left hands. The way it's described it sounds like it's basically the Fox Blade if you don't have the Fox Blade.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Have we gotten the NA numbers for Rising yet? The NPD thread is too big to sift through.

From what I understand, ~210,000 is more accurate. The number is kinda hidden away in the NPD thread.

Honestly? I think that the U.S. gamer mentality of "short game" and "no multiplayer" has people waiting for a price drop... which is really sad. I'm pretty disappointed in my fellow Americans.

Sephzilla

Yeah, what probably hurt the game was the false information about the games length first time through. Anyone who actually played the game and paid attention to their actual clock in their home could tell you that the actual game is more like 7 or 8 hours assuming you don't skip cutscenes and blatantly rush through things.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yeah, what probably hurt the game was the false information about the games length first time through. Anyone who actually played the game and paid attention to their actual clock in their home could tell you that the actual game is more like 7 or 8 hours assuming you don't skip cutscenes and blatantly rush through things.

Yeah, a lot of people I spoke with regarding the game mentioned the length of the game as a reason for waiting.

From what I understand, ~210,000. The number is kinda hidden away in the NPD thread.

Honestly? I think that the U.S. gamer mentality of "short game" and "no multiplayer" has people waiting for a price drop... which is really sad. I'm pretty disappointed in my fellow Americans.

That's the way it is in NA now pretty much. It's almost everyone's fault that every new game drops to half price or lower in a month's time, now there's no reason to bother buying day 1.

That being said, I did my part and preordered the limited edition. This game deserves every last bit of my money lol

Carbonox

Seems to have sold 200k~, maybe slightly below. So virtually the same as DmC did in its debut month.

brandonmarshallwalkou4ixeu.gif

demidar

When I finally got my Platinum trophy the save file was clocked at ~35 hours, but I know it was closer to 45 due to a lot of restarting and fiddling with save files.

Just to clarify, your weapons, abilities and other unlockables only carry over once you have cleared R-00 on the new difficulty. You have to do that first mission as newborn baby Raiden, Once you're in your upgraded cyborg suit on the 2nd mission, you get all your stuff back.

Sephzilla

Take solace though everyone, DmC got absolutely crushed in every other region of the world. And it surpassed DmC despite DmC being on a third platform that MGR wasn't on.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Take solace though everyone, DmC got absolutely crushed in every other region of the world. And it surpassed DmC despite DmC being on a third platform that MGR wasn't on.

Yeah, MGR still did a good bit better than DmC did, and DmC had no competition during its launch month. DmC sales are also dropping like a rock, with them having sold <50,000 copies this month and being outsold by Ni No Kuni. Honestly, I was only expecting something in the realm of 250,000 sales for MGR in the first month anyway.

Apoc87

Banned
I can't even get senator down past 150% health. Fuck those boulders he throws at you. Fuck this entire battle.

Easy Mode.

Sephzilla

Yeah, MGR still did a good bit better than DmC did, and DmC had no competition during its launch month. DmC sales are also dropping like a rock, with them having sold <50,000 copies this month and being outsold by Ni No Kuni. Honestly, I was only expecting something in the realm of 250,000 sales for MGR in the first month anyway.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting MGR to put up hack-and-slash records in the US like it did Japan. The US release window was a bit rougher for MGR than in Japan anyway (I dont think Dead Space 3 or Aliens went to Japan?)

It's probably a safe million seller though, it's already closer to a million sales than DmC is and it has a much larger positive word of mouth behind it.

Theorymon

I can't even get senator down past 150% health. Fuck those boulders he throws at you. Fuck this entire battle.

Easy Mode.

If you want to be a coward like me, you can just run towards and under the boulders, avoidng the need to even use blade mode. I haven't tried that on easy mode but I don't think difficulty would effect this.

As for the battle itself, I found the best way to beat him was to lock on him and abuse the crap out of the "Offensive Defensive" dodge move you can buy (if you have it, press X + Y at the same time for the 360, and I THINK Square + X for the PS3). Time it correctly and you get a few invincibility frames, plus its good for dodging that annoying charge move. Also, when he starts recovering health, blade mode on his back to stop it!

Arozay

I got a question about the Revengeance run, when I started 03 I got hit and reached the mini-checkpoint for the opening fight so I couldn't get the no damage credit. So I went to chapter select and reloaded 03 so I could get the S on that fight, is that going to affect the whole run in any way?

I'm up to the lobby fight every goes on about, but I'll save it for another time.

I did my part as well and will buy all DLC for it. And tell everybody to buy this game (full-price) because Platinum deserves way more money than they're actually getting.

Easy Mode.

I ended up watching on youtube. Didn't have the patience or time to deal with it. I also had 0 Repair Nanopastes and didn't want to have to go back and replay stuff to get more (and I don't even know how the chapter select works and if I would've been able to get back to that point again without playing through the whole fight).

I do appreciate boss fights that are a little more difficult but not incredibly more difficult than the rest of the game. I felt like I got through the whole game with mindless button mashing and parrying, and that fight was definitely on another level. Reminded me kind of like the Shao Kahn fight at the end of MK9. But with MK9 I stuck with it and eventually beat it in a couple of hours.

I got a question about the Revengeance run, when I started 03 I got hit and reached the mini-checkpoint for the opening fight so I couldn't get the no damage credit. So I went to chapter select and reloaded 03 so I could get the S on that fight, is that going to affect the whole run in any way?

I'm up to the lobby fight every goes on about, but I'll save it for another time.

Nope, it's fine.

You know you can still get S Rank without No Damage.

Seems to have sold 200k~, maybe slightly below. So virtually the same as DmC did in its debut month.

Was it available day 1 on the PSN store? I wonder how many people are using the day 1 digital stuff on PSN instead of going out to the store and buying physical games on PS3.

Sephzilla

So much for action gamers coming out in droves for it.

Still crushed DmC in every other region, and caught DmC's lifetime sales in about a week. And did it in a much more jam packed month. 210k for the US isn't that bad at all, I believe only DMC4 and God of War III had better opening months here (and, GoD:A pending)

Considering how everybody was pretty surprised by MGR's Japan numbers, I don't get why everybody is suddenly guffawing at MGR's US numbers being a little bit closer to what everybody expected. I do think the misinformation about the games length didn't help things, but oh well, shit happens.

demidar

Still crushed DmC in every other region, and caught DmC's lifetime sales in about a week. And did it in a much more jam packed month. 210k for the US isn't that bad at all, I believe only DMC4 and God of War III had better opening months here (and, GoD:A pending)

Considering how everybody was pretty surprised by MGR's Japan numbers, I don't get why everybody is suddenly guffawing at MGR's US numbers being a little bit closer to what everybody expected. I do think the misinformation about the games length didn't help things, but oh well, shit happens.

It sucks that such a great game, barring some issues like the shitty camera, didn't do that well. Being a great game isn't guaranteed to sell copies nowadays, what a shitty environment.

Thankfully we'll probably get a sequel due to its good numbers in Japan and the UK.

NTom64

Hit a game-breaking bug in chapter 2 (360 version).

After beating the
Grad
, you're supposed to get a codec call but it doesn't pop up. Everything remains locked as if you're in a call (you can't pause, change weapons etc.) and even if you die it doesn't reset...Raiden just uselessly lies there.

I've tried using a different save, I've tried restarting from the beginning and even cleaning the disk (rental copy, but in near perfect condition) but nothing seems to work. I can't even find any google results for it, so I don't know if it's the disk or not. Tried downloading a patch but that didn't work either.

Top Bottom