• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

demidar

So...I was playing on Easy and following a video guide to get all the collectable crap

I missed something in chapter 3 so I said, OK, let's just restart the mission then it hits me: Will I not get the hostages achievement by doing this?

Please tell me I didn't just waste hours of my miserable life.

I think as long as the game saves/checkpoints the hostage counts. I got the trophy after rescuing the second hostage (I got every other one on a previous playthrough), the one in the area where you're first introduced to left hands and you need one to get into the gate.

MCD

I think as long as the game saves/checkpoints the hostage counts. I got the trophy after rescuing the second hostage (I got every other one on a previous playthrough), the one in the area where you're first introduced to left hands and you need one to get into the gate.

Thank you my brother.

Nibel

Finished Revengeance on S-Rank and got the achievement

FUCK YES; finished Armstrong off with a 400 Hit combo thanks to infinite blade mode wig, feels good man

^these trophies, especially the VR ones are just f'n stupid. Why do the make you so weak if you can only get hit one time? It's just a chore to play when in the actual game my Raiden is much stronger and capable...grrrr I like challenge, but this stuff is just crippling the player to make it harder, which I just find annoying.

Really, this is one of the better engines created for an action game, but the title IMO loses points after finishing my run on hard. The replay value is so-so for me, because well, frankly, Raiden just doesn't feel that much different at the end of the game versus the beginning. Comparing to say Dante, I was eager to start every new difficulty level and Dante changed up from Very-Hard to Dante-must-die etc...I do feel the increased attack patterns from enemies, but it all feels too samey after you beat the game. And ya'know, I actually don't like blade mode that much. I don't find it that enjoyable to cut limbs over and over again in slow motion and I'm mad the game penalizes you for not using it as much as they would like. S ranking everything (in some sections) is waaay too much of a hassle. And I'm sorry, NO DAMAGE should net you S rank automatically...what's with this stupid penalty for no Zanzatsu (or whatever its called) nonsense?

Really could have been the best action title of this gen but I'm not sure it will top DMC4 or Ninja Gaiden Sigma for me. Still a blast to play, but for me replay value was designed poorly and the game gets more "cheap" that it does "challenging". I'm not a trophy guy either, so it has to be really compelling for me to keep replaying a game. I believe I got 90% of the trophies in ME2 without even knowing about any of them. It was just that fun to play-through with different classes and difficulties, so I hope Platinum can innovate a bit more with the engine for the sequel. I think they've started a new Franchise though.

Solid B-

^these trophies, especially the VR ones are just f'n stupid. Why do the make you so weak if you can only get hit one time? It's just a chore to play when in the actual game my Raiden is much stronger and capable...grrrr I like challenge, but this stuff is just crippling the player to make it harder, which I just find annoying.

Really, this is one of the better engines created for an action game, but the title IMO loses points after finishing my run on hard. The replay value is so-so for me, because well, frankly, Raiden just doesn't feel that much different at the end of the game versus the beginning. Comparing to say Dante, I was eager to start every new difficulty level and Dante changed up from Very-Hard to Dante-must-die etc...I do feel the increased attack patterns from enemies, but it all feels too samey after you beat the game. And ya'know, I actually don't like blade mode that much. I don't find it that enjoyable to cut limbs over and over again in slow motion and I'm mad the game penalizes you for not using it as much as they would like. S ranking everything (in some sections) is waaay too much of a hassle. And I'm sorry, NO DAMAGE should net you S rank automatically...what's with this stupid penalty for no Zanzatsu (or whatever its called) nonsense?

Really could have been the best action title of this gen but I'm not sure it will top DMC4 or Ninja Gaiden Sigma for me. Still a blast to play, but for me replay value was designed poorly and the game gets more "cheap" that it does "challenging". I'm not a trophy guy either, so it has to be really compelling for me to keep replaying a game. I believe I got 90% of the trophies in ME2 without even knowing about any of them. It was just that fun to play-through with different classes and difficulties, so I hope Platinum can innovate a bit more with the engine for the sequel. I think they've started a new Franchise though.
Solid B-

You don't like MINES?! :p

demidar

Solid B-

Not a bad score for a rushed, salvaged game.

Dave1988

0B2.jpg

Mission 18 and 19 weren't as bad as I was expecting. Did them after a few tries. The mission that really got on my nerves was M17. God, that was such a pain in the ass.

Now, to get "Demilitarized Zone" and "Ich liebe Kapitalismus!" and the Platinum is mine! MWAHAHAHA!

Emitan

Can you not skip the credits? I didn't mind them at all the first time but I have a feeling I will be replaying this game a lot.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Can I restart a chapter using chapter select and retain my earlier S ranks? Kinda screwed up the beginning of R-03 and need to do it over and my last back up save was the GRAD boss fight.

Can I restart a chapter using chapter select and retain my earlier S ranks? Kinda screwed up the beginning of R-03 and need to do it over and my last back up save was the GRAD boss fight.

Nope, you'll have to do it all again. Keep them backup saves up to date always. It will save the chapters when you rank S, but not the individual missions within the chapters.

I just got A rank instead of S rank on Monsoon. I'm certain I took no damage. Could it be that I took damage on the ranked fight before you fight Monsoon? You know when Raiden is in "volatile" state and you can't defend yourself.

I just got A rank instead of S rank on Monsoon. I'm certain I took no damage. Could it be that I took damage on the ranked fight before you fight Monsoon? You know when Raiden is in "volatile" state and you can't defend yourself.

Nah, that won't count against you. Either you picked up some tiny sliver of damage from somewhere, or you continued after dying previously at some point.

Raxus

0B2.jpg

Mission 18 and 19 weren't as bad as I was expecting. Did them after a few tries. The mission that really got on my nerves was M17. God, that was such a pain in the ass.

Now, to get "Demilitarized Zone" and "Ich liebe Kapitalismus!" and the Platinum is mine! MWAHAHAHA!

You don't need to upgrade the weapons to earn this. Just purchase everything. Hope that helps. I need to kill 100 hammer guys too. Shit sucks.

After that I just need to wait for the DLC VR missions. How have some people already gotten their hands on it on 360?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Nah, that won't count against you. Either you picked up some tiny sliver of damage from somewhere, or you continued after dying previously at some point.

Not necessarily true. You can get the No Damage bonus and still get an A rank against Monsoon.

If you got the NO DAMAGE BONUS, you probably needed more BP from picking up stuff or get a 30 hit combo. I screwed myself over the same way and needed to get a 30 hit combo after the checkpoint... but I did manage to do it. If this is the case for you, just try the Zandatsu section again and try to get a 30 hit combo during it.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
You don't need to upgrade the weapons to earn this. Just purchase everything.

What does this mean though?

does this include all the non DLC bodies?

I really hope so because I don't feel like grinding out all the upgrades for all the swords. I kinda want to just be done with the game to be honest

Hope that helps. I need to kill 100 hammer guys too. Shit sucks.

Just replay chapter 7 with the fox blade

The area right before excelsus. kill all the hammer dudes then go into the shop to reset the checkpoint while saving the kills

should get the trophy in like an hour tops if you've only completed the game once. Alot less if you've done multiple replays prior to this method

Raxus

does this include all the non DLC bodies?

I really hope so because I don't feel like grinding out all the upgrades for all the swords. I kinda want to just be done with the game to be honest

Yes. Suits, wigs, swords (not upgrades), and side weapons. I assume the powerups count as well. I still have to upgrade several swords and I got the trophy/achievement.

zainetor

Banned

Just replay chapter 7 with the fox blade

The area right before excelsus. kill all the hammer dudes then go into the shop to reset the checkpoint while saving the kills

should get the trophy in like an hour tops if you've only completed the game once. Alot less if you've done multiple replays prior to this method

you dont need to go to the shop. Just restart the checkpoint, it's faster.

Emitan

The jump from hard to very hard is quite high, the jump from very hard to Revengeance is small in comparison.

Makes me think of my experience with Guitar Hero 2.

Easy -> Medium Hmm this isn't so bad. 3 fingers to 4 is pretty simple.

Medium - > Hard FIVE FRETS!? I ONLY HAVE 4 FINGERS!!!!

Hard -> Expert Oh this isn't so bad!

demidar

Makes me think of my experience with Guitar Hero 2.

Easy -> Medium Hmm this isn't so bad. 3 fingers to 4 is pretty simple.

Medium - > Hard FIVE FRETS!? I ONLY HAVE 4 FINGERS!!!!

Hard -> Expert Oh this isn't so bad!

Heh sounds about right. My fingers were so comfortable resting on four frets that I found it very hard to translate to five, but ultimately it made me better since it knocked me out of that shitty habit and let me do pull-offs and hammer-ons far easier.

chrono01

but the song.....THE SONG.
Seriously.

I have the Vocal Tracks CD and I cannot seem to stop listening to it. That goes for all of the tracks, actually.

The beauty of having dynamic music is that when the vocals finally kick in during battle, you get a permanent image of it. When you later re-listen to the song, even though you're obviously not playing the game, you still feel as though you are.

Take "Rules of Nature", for example. When the song reaches 1:05 [the moment when Raiden blocks/catches Metal Gear RAY's attack and throws it, runs up the side, and then slices it in half] you can see the whole thing in your head.

Platinum Games did an incredible job making sure that memorable imagery synced up with the music, and definitely left an impact on me.

Seriously.

I have the Vocal Tracks CD and I cannot seem to stop listening to it. That goes for all of the tracks, actually.

The beauty of having dynamic music is that when the vocals finally kick in during battle, you get a permanent image of it. When you later re-listen to the song, even though you're obviously not playing the game, you still feel as though you are.

Take "Rules of Nature", for example. When the song reaches 1:05 [the moment when Raiden blocks/catches Metal Gear RAY's attack and throws it, runs up the side, and then slices it in half] you can see the whole thing in your head.

Platinum Games did an incredible job making sure that memorable imagery synced up with the music, and definitely left an impact on me.

Whenever I hear the "BLOOD STAINED SAAAAAAAAAANNAaaaaaaNNNNaaaaaNNNNNDDDD" chorus kick in I automatically see a giant burning metal block flying towards my face

To be honest, Revengeance is probably easier than very hard because perfect parries kill everything in one hit haha.

It's definitely easier to s-rank in Revengeance difficulty, especially against bosses that can be parried like Mistral. Most encounters can be done with in no time flat if you get everything right, but they typically drag on for longer in Very Hard.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Welp got the Platinum

final thoughts on Rising:

my least favorite PG release by far. I walked away from Madworld having a better time.

maybe some distance between my completion will change that, but to me it represents what would happen if they listened to the side of gaf that wanted a challenging no bullshit game from them.(I'd rather play Space Harrier 1000 times than do another fucking VR mission)

Because that's what Rising is to me at higher difficulties. A challenging, joyless experience. Just about every challenging wave or screen is about ending the fight when it's at its most predictable before it becomes unmanageable, rather than getting better at the combat and completing it because you've improved.

Also I don't like parry as a mechanic at all in application. The problem with Rising isn't the camera so much as it's that your only defensive option is entirely reliant on the enemy's position in relation to Raiden at the current camera angle. Personally I'd rather they just fucking scrap parry for a block button than alter the camera to accommodate it.(basically it functions the same but scrap the directional input. It doesn't require anymore skill. It just doesn't work half the time)

Game is fun as hell on the initial playthrough, but after putting the time into it I just feel it's not my type of game at all in the long run. I'll stick with the Bayonetta school of action game. Rising is meh.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Also I don't like parry as a mechanic at all in application. The problem with Rising isn't the camera so much as it's that your only defensive option is entirely reliant on the enemy's position in relation to Raiden at the current camera angle. Personally I'd rather they just fucking scrap parry for a block button than alter the camera to accommodate it.(basically it functions the same but scrap the directional input. It doesn't require anymore skill. It just doesn't work half the time)

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion and preferences among different action game styles, but the highlighted above is just wrong. I'm sure you know this, too, so it's just a mistake.

But different strokes for different folks. I adore the parry mechanic in this game. It wouldn't work in many other games, but it works in this one.

Also, I'm confused at your phrasing about "challenging no bullshit" games. Are you saying those are good or bad, because you seem equate "joy" to "bullshit" later on, which is just odd to me.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Also, I'm confused at your phrasing about "challenging no bullshit" games. Are you saying those are good or bad, because you seem equate "joy" to "bullshit" later on, which is just odd to me.

Well I mean "no bullshit" in describing what alot of people complain about in Bayonetta I guess. The minigames like space harrier and angel attack that to me give the game alot of personality.

In Rising there's none of that. Instead the side content is shit like the VR missions. Very straightforward skill based challenges.

and they're just no fun garbage to me. I'd rather have the silly harmless side content any day. Even if it's in the main game to break up the action.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion and preferences among different action game styles, but the highlighted above is just wrong. I'm sure you know this, too, so it's just a mistake.

Idk I didn't get much mileage out of offensive defense at the higher difficulties. I think the recovery period is too long to be useful outside of boss encounters.

but I mean I pretty much did the bare minimum for my S ranks. Alot of perfect parrying, EM grenades and Ripper mode.

because actually trying to fight anything is too fucking random and I wasn't trying to deal with all that

Emitan

I'd rather have more of the game's main gameplay than alt-gameplay to be honest. But maybe that's because I'm a long time Sonic the Hedgehog fan. NO I DONT WANT TO HUNT FOR EMERALDS AND GO FISHING, I WANT TO RUUUUN

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Well I mean "no bullshit" in describing what alot of people complain about in Bayonetta I guess. The minigames like space harrier and angel attack that to me give the game alot of personality.

In Rising there's none of that. Instead the side content is shit like the VR missions. Very straightforward skill based challenges.

and they're just no fun garbage to me. I'd rather have the silly harmless side content any day. Even if it's in the main game to break up the action.

Idk I didn't get much mileage out of offensive defense at the higher difficulties. I think the recovery period is too long to be useful outside of boss encounters.

but I mean I pretty much did the bare minimum for my S ranks. Alot of perfect parrying, EM grenades and Ripper mode.

because actually trying to fight anything is too fucking random and I wasn't trying to deal with all that

Offensive Defensive is incredibly useful on the higher difficulties, especially since you can blade mode cancel it.

And I thank God that there wasn't a space harrier section... they even DID include little sections like the flying in the Sundowner section, or running up/down walls, but those were short and inoffensive to me. I'm sorry, but the space harrier and driving sections of Bayonetta were complete shit to me. I abhor them entirely and their removal would have resulted in a better game.

It honestly just kinda sounds like you're letting your impressions of the VR Missions get the better of you. They were pretty bad.

chrono01

I enjoyed everything about Metal Gear Rising, but I was surprised to see that there were no "vehicle" sections. When Raiden stole the bike, I said to myself "Oh, the next stage must be a bike section where I attack/slice advancing cyborgs with the ability to enter Blade Mode and cut them, or their bikes, in half!". I was surprised to see it jump right to a boss fight.

Similarly, they could have maybe added an airborne segment [between R-04/R-05] where Raiden engages in battle as he's falling. Maybe landing on enemy aircraft, doing what he does best, and then proceeding [with style, of course].

As I said, I do not fault MGR for not having these sections at all. It was an absolutely pleasure from start-to-finish, and I look forward to playing through it again very soon [on Hard, then Very Hard...then MAYBE Revengeance].

I know a lot of people criticized Bayonetta for having these "alternate gameplay sequences", so maybe that's why P* decided not to go this route with MGR.

Welp got the Platinum

final thoughts on Rising:

my least favorite PG release by far. I walked away from Madworld having a better time.

maybe some distance between my completion will change that, but to me it represents what would happen if they listened to the side of gaf that wanted a challenging no bullshit game from them.(I'd rather play Space Harrier 1000 times than do another fucking VR mission)

Because that's what Rising is to me at higher difficulties. A challenging, joyless experience. Just about every challenging wave or screen is about ending the fight when it's at its most predictable before it becomes unmanageable, rather than getting better at the combat and completing it because you've improved.

Game is fun as hell on the initial playthrough, but after putting the time into it I just feel it's not my type of game at all in the long run. I'll stick with the Bayonetta school of action game. Rising is meh.
yeah, I really didn't like the parry being specific to what direction the enemy is. I don't understand the decision to not make this a button...like at all...Still an enjoyable game, but those VR missions are a pain and chore to beat. But since all you guys are getting the plat. trophy, I guess I'll keep it and play it a bit more.

You guys are making me look bad. Ain't nobody got time for dat!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
It honestly just kinda sounds like you're letting your impressions of the VR Missions get the better of you.

I'm not so sure. I don't think the game is very good at higher difficulties either. Like I'd love to see a player consistently play the double grad fight straight at the end of chapter 2 on Revengeance/Very Hard and no damage/S rank it.

because from the perspective of someone at my skill level that shit is just impossible outside of cheesing it.(perfect parrying the opening move and then stun locking them) Raiden just doesn't have the tools to consistently deal with all the variables in that fight. The explosive debris, all the random bullets that will tag you if you aren't ninja running. One of the grads firing missiles at you while you're in the process of fighting the other etc. there's just too much random shit to keep track of to try and play it straight imo.

as opposed to Bayonetta where Pure Platinum's could be achieved not only playing the game straight, but with a variety of different weapons and strategies. There was alot more freedom of play even at the highest difficulty under the most strict of self imposed player limitations.

I just don't see that potential in Rising.

but like I said maybe some distance from the game will change my opinion.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
as opposed to Bayonetta where Pure Platinum's could be achieved not only playing the game straight, but with a variety of different weapons and strategies. There was alot more freedom of play even at the highest difficulty under the most strict of self imposed player limitations.

I just don't see that potential in Rising.

but like I said maybe some distance from the game will change my opinion.

I think it's just a different kind of game. I personally enjoy the freedom of DMC and Bayonetta to a game like this, but I don't let that undermine the enjoyment that I've had with the game. I think its fantastic and brings a lot to the table, even if it's not necessarily my preferred style.

I think there are ways of reliably no damaging that 2 GRAD fight without stunlocking either GRAD.

If i try to S rank a mission revengeance and I miss ONE battle and get an S rank on all the others when I play the stage again do i need to S rank everything again or just the one I missed?

The offensive dodge move is god tier in this game, its almost too good. Its useful for putting space between you and enemies (or getting to enemies), it has a shit ton of invincibility frames (so it is very easy to just dodge into an enemies attack so you never have to stop attacking), and it is also an attack (keeps combo going, constant hits increase the chance of stagger/dizzy). It decimates a large portion of the bosses and in general is as useful if not more useful than the parry.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
If i try to S rank a mission revengeance and I miss ONE battle and get an S rank on all the others when I play the stage again do i need to S rank everything again or just the one I missed?

Gotta redo the whole thing

I think there are ways of reliably no damaging that 2 GRAD fight without stunlocking either GRAD.

I'm not saying there's absolutely no way

just from the perspective of my skill level and familiarity with the game, I can't fucking see it.

VR Missions are bad and expose bad things about this video game. I'm not even downloading those DLC missions, fuck that.

But Madworld tier, c'mon my nigga, that's low.

Top Bottom