• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Well, speaking of parryable or unblockables:
Sam
's first phase's kick attack is undodgeable. You can dodge, but the i-frames don't kick in so you basically eat the attack all the same.

WTF, Platinum? This inconsistency is a little funky and annoying.

Yeah, there's some trial and error involved with knowing what can or can't be parried. You can dodge the final boss' blade swings, but you can't dodge that kick from the boss you mention. You can parry a gekko's jump-stomp, but you can't parry the hammer bros.' swings (apparently). You can block a charging gekko, but you gotta figure that out yourself.

Looks like some people are past the honey moon phase with this game.

I lucked out and am still in love with it, flaws and all. The VR missions that don't force you to fight with stupid sub-weapon controls are still enjoyable for me, camera aside.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
You definitely can block it; I just did five minutes ago. I've never been able to block it while facing them, but just now I did block a kick by accident while trying to block an attack from another enemy, so it is possible.

Yeah I couldn't tell if it was just me being bad but I could never ever get that thing

Just about drove me mad on VR 19

Also I just wanted to say that I agree with you about the goofy side stuff in Bayonetta. I really liked that and thought it helped give the game character; I never agreed with all the hate for it.

Glad I'm not the only one then.

I like it when directors put their own personal tastes into their games.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yeah, there's some trial and error involved with knowing what can or can't be parried. You can dodge the final boss' blade swings, but you can't dodge that kick from the boss you mention. You can parry a gekko's jump-stomp, but you can't parry the hammer bros.' swings (apparently). You can block a charging gekko, but you gotta figure that out yourself.

What's hilarious is that you CAN dodge the second phase's kick. The first is the one that can't be dodged. Which is crazy because you'd think "jumping back from a melee attack" would be dodge-able!

Izuna

Banned
What the hell? Is parrying easier in Revengeance mode?

Damnit... I'm not going to be able to finish this game at all.
I'm going to keep it for longer and send back ZoEHD instead.

There's something about MGR that makes me hate it so much that I just feel like I'm horrible/don't understand how to play properly.

ezekial45

Banned
I managed to beat VR 19, but I can't beat the third wave in VR 18. It's driving me nuts.

EDIT: And Retro_, I agree with your sentiments regarding the game. Bayonetta is still PG's top game.

Glad I'm not the only one then.

I like it when director's put their own personal tastes into their games.

I don't mind stuff that breaks things up, so long as it's either as satisfying as the normal gameplay or an extension of it. If there was a motorcycle sequence in Rising where you're still cutting stuff up and are able to block/parry/dodge/Etc. with it feeling congruent with the rest of the game in terms of quality, then that'd be great.

The Space Harrier portion of Bayonetta wasn't fun on it's own and was only refreshing for a short while. The positive aspects of the game (good control, cool abilities) were not present in the mini-game.

It does more damage, but I'm pretty sure the window for doing it is either the same or slightly smaller. you're just getting better

I managed to beat VR 19, but I can't beat the third wave in VR 18. It's driving me nuts.

Stay close to the bladewolf. Stinger > offensive defense cancel > stinger > offensive defense cancel, repeat. Dive kicks work too. If it gets far away, it'll use that laser and though it's not one-hit kill, it's really difficult to dodge all shots. Once you get rid of it, get rid of the dwarf gekkos with the staff or the pincers aerial charge move. I suggest using the sai to stun one of the hammer guys, then use the pincers to knock them around; charge each blow before swinging to enable super armor, which minimizes damage. It's risky, but if you can get the timing right, you'll knock them off their feet. Just lay into them with the pincers.

TheSeks

Parry "window" is changed. Basically you have to be faster to parry the higher the difficulty mode you go up. In regards to perfect parrying/counter-parrying especially. Counter-ing gives you a 50% damage bonus increase compared to Very Hard on down's 20% increase.

If you get good at Revengeance's parry timing you can basically eat the entire game alive with the base weapons, IIRC. Not that I would know since I haven't unlocked that yet.

Izuna

Banned
Parry "window" is changed. Basically you have to be faster to parry the higher the difficulty mode you go up. In regards to perfect parrying/counter-parrying especially. Counter-ing gives you a 50% damage bonus increase compared to Very Hard on down's 20% increase.

If you get good at Revengeance's parry timing you can basically eat the entire game alive with the base weapons, IIRC. Not that I would know since I haven't unlocked that yet.

I used the cheat code to unlock Revengeance. I'm almost certain it's easier to parry on Revengeance, or is that just me getting more used to it? I think the game works better when countering does more damage.

I had to restart after being convinced that fighting GRAD on V.Hard was just, not right. It was harder than NG2 on Master Ninja.

So, I've only used the HF Blade... Are the other weapons that much more useful?

TheSeks

I'm pretty certain that all kicks can be blocked, including all of Sam's and including delimbed cyborgs.

Nope. I can assure you phase one can't be dodged. Since I'm getting hit trying to parry their attacks, I've been abusing the i-frames of the dodge to get out of... *ahem* dodge to set up my attacks for the phase changes. Phase 1 CAN NOT be dodged. Phase 2 can be dodged and with i-frames you can also attack them this way.

I used the cheat code to unlock Revengeance. I'm almost certain it's easier to parry on Revengeance, or is that just me getting more used to it? I think the game works better when countering does more damage.

I had to restart after being convinced that fighting GRAD on V.Hard was just, not right. It was harder than NG2 on Master Ninja.

So, I've only used the HF Blade... Are the other weapons that much more useful?

No. It's only "easier" because you're going faster to parry along with nailing the parry window for the 50% damage increase on the counters.

The GRAD is only hard on V. Hard if you're not using upgrades and trying to no-damage the fight. If not, simply take a few hits, take out the non-boss GRAD (easy if you have a level 3+ Polearm to Zendatsu easy) then go to town Ninja Running and dodging the boss GRAD into Zendatsu.

Really, IMO you shouldn't be using the cheat code and playing Rev. first time through. But that's because the mode is based on you having your upgraded stuff. Yes, there's a title for beating the game without the upgraded weapons and stuff you get for playing through the mode(s) before it, but for an easier enjoyment you shouldn't be playing Rev. right now. You should be playing on Hard or Normal, getting the upgrades and then going to Very Hard with the upgrades you got and finishing the upgrade paths for anything you've missed for Rev.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Nope. I can assure you phase one can't be dodged. Since I'm getting hit trying to parry their attacks, I've been abusing the i-frames of the dodge to get out of... *ahem* dodge to set up my attacks for the phase changes. Phase 1 CAN NOT be dodged. Phase 2 can be dodged and with i-frames you can also attack them this way.

Dodged or blocked? You're saying that it can't be dodged, but I think you might be dodging too early.

TheSeks

Dodged or blocked? You're saying that it can't be dodged, but I think you might be dodging too early.

Dodged. And I'm dodging at the same time no matter the phase. The kick is coming at me, I dodge. Phase 1 makes you eat the attack. Phase 2 will let you dodge as if the attack is being announced. It makes no damn sense.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Izuna

Banned
No. It's only "easier" because you're going faster to parry along with nailing the parry window for the 50% damage increase on the counters.

The GRAD is only hard on V. Hard if you're not using upgrades and trying to no-damage the fight. If not, simply take a few hits, take out the non-boss GRAD (easy if you have a level 3+ Polearm to Zendatsu easy) then go to town Ninja Running and dodging the boss GRAD into Zendatsu.

Yeah I posted above about fighting the GRAD like that. I'm certain Revengeance is easier without upgrades then, because I had to parry those guys up to 4 times before I took them out.

What do you mean by "faster" to parry? Are you saying that parrying on Revengeance has to be done faster? So in that case, do enemies attack faster?

I don't think it's a 50% damage buff for counters in Revengeance difficulty, it's 500%. You can basically one-shot bladewolf and AI Mistral, and hit boss Mistral so hard on the second phase that she'll insta-QTE as soon as you jump to the third phase.

As bad as the VR missions are, I'm sort of disappointed that the main game doesn't provide any equivalent challenges on any of the difficulties. Doing no-damage against Monsoon is the only "difficult" part of S-ranking Revengeance difficulty for me so far, and everything else is just restarting the checkpoint til the AI obliges your strategy.

VR17 is the biggest blemish on the game.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Dodged. And I'm dodging at the same time no matter the phase. The kick is coming at me, I dodge. Phase 1 makes you eat the attack. Phase 2 will let you dodge as if the attack is being announced. It makes no damn sense.

I loaded it up just now and dodged it on my first try. Just did it again. I think you're dodging too late, man. The second phase kick is much slower than the first. Timing's different.

Are you dodging to the side? Because that's what I did.

Izuna

Banned
You should be playing on Hard or Normal, getting the upgrades and then going to Very Hard with the upgrades you got and finishing the upgrade paths for anything you've missed for Rev.

Hard was way too easy for me that I simply didn't like the game.

TheSeks

I loaded it up just now and dodged it on my first try. Just did it again. I think you're dodging too late, man. The second phase kick is much slower than the first. Timing's different.

Are you dodging to the side? Because that's what I did.

Dodging backwards, never to the side since the side is too hit and miss with dodging attacks IMO.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Dodging backwards, never to the side since the side is too hit and miss with dodging attacks IMO.

I almost exclusively dodge to the side. If you're dodging back, that's probably why you're getting hit. You step back, but the kick moves Sam forward while you're still in recovery. A few moves are like that.

Dodging to the side lets you strafe a target and hit their back.

All the kicks can definitely be blocked too.

I could block all of Sam's

no idea why the Custom Cyborg kick is so hard though

I think it just comes out super fast.

In my experience I wouldn't dodge back if you intend to keep initiated in battle (I would use it when I am like "holy shit I need to get some space from this enemy"), I would only dodge to the side or preferably dodge into the enemy (as long as your timing is good enough).

TheSeks

I almost exclusively dodge to the side. If you're dodging back, that's probably why you're getting hit. You step back, but the kick moves Sam forward while you're still in recovery. A few moves are like that.

Dodging to the side lets you strafe a target and hit their back.

Dodging to the side of Monsoon or Sam makes me eat an attack. No matter what I do. Combo strings from them = damage unless I dodge backwards and with Sam that's hit and miss as well.

Think I'm going to do the cheap-ass thing and phase-two Sam as quickly as I can then jump into the air and P. Blade circle-hover-helm-splitter him into the third phase to quickly (hopefully) get him to do the stupid parry QTE finisher.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Dodging to the side of Monsoon or Sam makes me eat an attack. No matter what I do. Combo strings from them = damage unless I dodge backwards and with Sam that's hit and miss as well.

Think I'm going to do the cheap-ass thing and phase-two Sam as quickly as I can then jump into the air and P. Blade circle-hover-helm-splitter him into the third phase to quickly (hopefully) get him to do the stupid parry QTE finisher.

Because they're doing a tracking combo. They're doing something that hits multiple times, and will track, so while you're in recovery of a side dodge, you'll get hit. When you back dodge from those, Raiden has enough recovery after stepping back to dodge again. You really should just block their combo strings. It's more reliable.

You need to discern which dodge is required at a given time. It takes timing and judgment. Like I said, I literally turned on the game and started the fight. The parry and dodge both work, you just need to adjust.

And ugh at that Pincer Blade strategy. I hope that gets patched. I hate seeing such a beautiful fight get reduced to A.I. exploits.

Are you trying to s-rank Sam? Man I should make a video or something. I have a pretty solid / foolproof strat for him I posted earlier (involves cheesing his first phase to get easy 50+ combo though).

To get piss easy 50 hit combo on Sam in the first phase:

-Run away
-When he slashes at you (for running away from him) do the dodge attack when he is about to hit you
-Do the stinger move
-Dodge attack again backwards (so like 5 hits in this process total)
-Repeat
-(With fully upgraded muramasa you will have 40-50 hits when he initiates his second phase)

Arozay

So I backed up over my lobby save with a before Sundowner save, took forever to S Sundowner because of his shitty helicopter spawns and off-camera bullshit and then it turns out I missed out on the fight in the server room...

Any way to salvage this run? Can I just start from chapter 4 in the Story selection and redo everything?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So I backed up over my lobby save with a before Sundowner save, took forever to S Sundowner because of his shitty helicopter spawns and off-camera bullshit and then it turns out I missed out on the fight in the server room...

Any way to salvage this run? Can I just start from chapter 4 in the Story selection and redo everything?

You don't have to S-rank Revengeance on a single run. You can use chapter select freely.

TheSeks

Are you trying to s-rank Sam? Man I should make a video or something. I have a pretty solid / foolproof strat for him I posted earlier (involves cheesing his first phase to get easy 50+ combo though).

No, no-damage him. If I was going for S-rank, I wouldn't care about getting hit since I could just blow through him in a matter of seconds with my upgraded weapons. I'm having to dodge his attacks or parry (and eat the combo/hit-tracking) which screws me over 9/10 of the time.

No, no-damage him. If I was going for S-rank, I wouldn't care about getting hit since I could just blow through him in a matter of seconds with my upgraded weapons. I'm having to dodge his attacks or parry (and eat the combo/hit-tracking) which screws me over 9/10 of the time.

Good luck getting the S-rank without the no damage bonus... (is it even possible)?

Good luck getting the S-rank without the no damage bonus... (is it even possible)?

I tried when I was trying to S-rank. Couldn't get the combo high enough. Only got up to just under an 'A'. Gave up and went back to the No-Damage option. The first time I no-damaged him, I only got an A and had to do it over again anyway...

jett

D-Member

lolz. No damage is almost a requisite to S-rank him.

TheSeks

Yes, but if it's possible to super-slow mo that section it should be possible to hit the hit limit requirements easy.

jett

D-Member
Yes, but if it's possible to super-slow mo that section it should be possible to hit the hit limit requirements easy.

If you don't want or can't no damage the guy then you have to pick up some nanopaste lying around inside boxes in the arena, while having 5 nanopastes. This goes into your BP score, although I'm not sure if that's enough to get 2000 points.

Dave1988

If you don't want or can't no damage the guy then you have to pick up some nanopaste lying around inside boxes in the arena, while having 5 nanopastes. This goes into your BP score, although I'm not sure if that's enough to get 2000 points.

It's not. I checked. I've picked up the nanorepair paste from three boxes scattered on the fields and the best I could get was 9800 BP which still earned me an A.

EDIT: S ranked Sam on Hard. The Pincers, as always, are a godsend.

RangerBAD

It's not. I checked. I've picked up the nanorepair paste from three boxes scattered on the fields and the best I could get was 9800 BP which still earned me an A.

EDIT: S ranked Sam on Hard. The Pincers, as always, are a godsend.

Yeah, you absolutely have to do no damage, but the BP can supplement time if you can't meet that. I just always had trouble getting the Nanopaste so I was stuck doing it under three minutes.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
February’s best-selling games in Japan

Famitsu has published a listing of the best-selling games in Japan for the month of February. The chart is based on Enterbrain data taken between January 28 through February 24.

Here’s the list in full:

01. [3DS] Dragon Quest VII – 1,088,077 / NEW
02. [PS3] Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance – 335,791 / NEW
03. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf – 321,147 / 3,012,055
04. [3DS] Fantasy Life – 45,700 / 246,338
05. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii Super Deluxe Edition – 43,943 / 407,188
06. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 – 34,913 / 1,957,380
07. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate – Best Price! – 29,373 / 222,778
08. [3DS] Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic – 25,281 / NEW
09. [PS3] DmC Devil May Cry – 25,047 / 168,886
10. [3DS] Run For Money Tousouchuu – 22,025 / 429,992

YO

The framerate in the Japanese garden if you Zandatsu 3 enemies at once......

I was playing Rising at like 5fps.

Then I reloaded the checkpoint to do it again and froze the game on my first blade mode.

THIS IS MY NORMAL

The slowdown is beautiful in this game. It just amplifies that badassedry.

It's funny sometimes, but if there was ever a candidate for "desperately needs more RAM," it's a MGR sequel. It's probably one of the few linear titles this gen that would instantly improve in a meaningful way just from having more + faster memory.

ZeroRay

YO

The framerate in the Japanese garden if you Zandatsu 3 enemies at once......

I was playing Rising at like 5fps.

Then I reloaded the checkpoint to do it again and froze the game on my first blade mode.

THIS IS MY NORMAL

The feel of 10FPS

I found out yesterday that if you stand on the pool while facing the cherry blossom tree, the game chugs like hell if you you do anything that renders alpha effects like ninja run. Can't imagine actually zandatsu'ing there.

Apoc87

Banned
The slowdown is beautiful in this game. It just amplifies that badassedry.

zvD3g.gif

Top Bottom