• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Sephzilla

It sucks that such a great game, barring some issues like the shitty camera, didn't do that well. Being a great game isn't guaranteed to sell copies nowadays, what a shitty environment.

Thankfully we'll probably get a sequel due to its good numbers in Japan and the UK.

I'm actually pretty content with the 210k and it being in the Top 5 for the US given how jammed February was with titles. The game has plenty of positive word-of-mouth, so I have a feeling MGR will be a slower burn than other Platinum games or DmC. It's already sold fine and I think it will continue to sell decently by genre standards. If the Sam/Blade Wolf DLC get positive press that might help too.

Hit a game-breaking bug in chapter 2 (360 version).

After beating the
Grad
, you're supposed to get a codec call but it doesn't pop up. Everything remains locked as if you're in a call (you can't pause, change weapons etc.) and even if you die it doesn't reset...Raiden just uselessly lies there.

I've tried using a different save, I've tried restarting from the beginning and even cleaning the disk (rental copy, but in near perfect condition) but nothing seems to work. I can't even find any google results for it, so I don't know if it's the disk or not. Tried downloading a patch but that didn't work either.

Sounds like a badly pressed disc, no issues here.

I'm so terrible at melee action games but Ibdo love this game. Is there a site that explains the combat better? Maybe that will help me, the DmC OT had one and it was a big help.

Hit a game-breaking bug in chapter 2 (360 version).

After beating the
Grad
, you're supposed to get a codec call but it doesn't pop up. Everything remains locked as if you're in a call (you can't pause, change weapons etc.) and even if you die it doesn't reset...Raiden just uselessly lies there.

I've tried using a different save, I've tried restarting from the beginning and even cleaning the disk (rental copy, but in near perfect condition) but nothing seems to work. I can't even find any google results for it, so I don't know if it's the disk or not. Tried downloading a patch but that didn't work either.
Have you tried installing it?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm so terrible at melee action games but Ibdo love this game. Is there a site that explains the combat better? Maybe that will help me, the DmC OT had one and it was a big help.

Here's a gameplay tutorial in video form. I haven't watched it, but it looked like the most comprehensive one available right now. Might be a bit too basic for what you're looking for though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgcTwi9ny50

He apparently has other videos on parrying and S-ranking. Not sure if he touches upon things like Blade Mode canceling.

EDIT: actually, watching it now, he's saying some things that are incorrect, so I'm not sure if that's a good tutorial. lol. He's saying that you don't have to Zandatsu to get the full electrolyte pack after precision cutting, which is wrong since the electrolyte pack picked up from the ground heals less and gives less meter since it's damaged (seen with the DMG label on it).

Ephemeris

finally no damaged that son of a bitch Sam.

Can't stop me now

WhatchaDoingOhJustALittleTrainSurfingInIndia-85687.gif

Armstrong hits hard but he's incredibly easy. You don't even need to parry: the bloke only has a few attacks...the ones that aren't blockable are telegraphed like mad and the ones that are follow very strict patterns. He's easier to get no damage on than pretty much any other boss in the game, in fact I reckon he's easier than Sundowner's second form since Sundowner's shieldless form has a combo that leads to an unblockable charge swing that needs solid dodge timing.

If Sundowner was less of a push over, people probably would find Armstrong a lot easier and complain more about Sundowner. He basically teaches you everything you need to grind Armstrong into the ground.

Finished it with total play time of 4:19....

seriously?

Fun gameplay, nice soundtrack..... VERY IDIOTIC story and writing, the biggest shame the Metal Gear franchise ever had.

Are they kidding me? I did NOT expect the game to be THIS disappointing.

I respect Platinum Studio so much, they know how to make amazing games... but this IMO is a very overrated game only because of the studio behind it.

Don't get me wrong... it's fun good game, but I expected something so big from the way everyone was going here and there talking about it... and I expected something bigger than this from a Metal Gear game that have been in developing for a good amount of time.

Carbonox

seriously?

Fun gameplay, nice soundtrack..... VERY IDIOTIC story and writing, the biggest shame the Metal Gear franchise ever had.

I respect Platinum Studio so much, they know how to make amazing games... but this IMO is a very overrated game only because of the studio behind it.

Don't get me wrong... it's fun good game, but I expected something so big from the way everyone was going here and there talking about it... and I expected something bigger than this from a Metal Gear game that have been in developing for a good amount of time.

How educated are you on the game's development? Cos it wasn't.

seriously?

I'm sorry, I love Metal Gear. I own tons of merchandise, etc.

What is so much worse about this than The Boss in AI form in Peace Walker (in the 70s mind you), Johnny's diarrhea jokes, EVA running up Ocelot's face and backflipping her motorcycle, Volgin's electricity, The Pain having bees inside of his body, etc.?

I love the games, I love the stories. The eccentricity and craziness is what makes them fun. The other MGS games take themselves seriously, with the only difference being that MGR lets itself just have fun.

demidar

What is so much worse about this than The Boss in AI form in Peace Walker (in the 70s mind you), Johnny's diarrhea jokes, EVA running up Ocelot's face and backflipping her motorcycle, Volgin's electricity, The Pain having bees inside of his body, etc.?

I love the games, I love the stories. The eccentricity and craziness is what makes them fun. The other MGS games take themselves seriously, with the only difference being that MGR lets itself just have fun.

Clearly the Metal Gear canon is the epitome of video gaming writing and storytelling.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Carbonox

This is the biggest crime ever committed to the series. Pretty much made me despise Peace Walker straight up without caring for anything else in the game.

Immensely stupid as fuck. Armstrong's nanomachines are more feasible and believable.

Mognet

been loving and playing this game days straight as soon as it arrived in the mail a couple days ago but DAMN is VR 18 making me MAD.

i'd rather do the vanquish challenges all over again than VR 18

):

People aren't very smart, they think that "I was told about this game four years ago!" means it was in development the entire time.

Yeah you are right... I'm THAT ignorant, I had no idea that Platinum only took over in late 2011.

a year and a half now doesn't consider a good amount of time... did not get that memo.

Just double checking - you don't have to s-rank Revengeance in one run right? I assume it just checks to make sure all of the chapters have s-ranks? I just s-ranked r-05 then r-00.

The ideas expressed in the Metal Gear canon are interesting, but they are surrounded by bloat and told very poorly. That is not to say it's not entertaining, it's fun to watch but not because it's good.

I don't disagree necessarily. Just that relative to anything else in the industry, it's still mostly above a very lowly set bar.

seriously?
This is the first game I've ever played where I hit the end of the game and immediately restarted on a harder difficulty, then did it again. I've even started going for the no-damage boss fight trophies.

MGR is sort of like a gateway drug to understanding character action games on a deep level. I started on normal, just kind of button-mashing my way through. I didn't even learn how to use parry until halfway through the game, and I really didn't understand it until my next playthrough. The thing is, I had such a great time with the Metal Gear story and attitude, and the music, that I just wanted to keep playing, so I went straight into a harder difficulty.

Then, at some point, something amazing happened. Every time I played the game, I actually felt better at it. I was able to recognize the signs of enemy attacks, I was able to parry every attack, I was able to remember combo strings, and understand what situations the sub-weapons were for. Sections that I could barely get through on one day, I was able to breeze through the next. Now I understand that THAT feeling, the feeling of mastery, is the appeal of Platinum games, and I'm really happy this game was flamboyantly fun enough for me to get to that point.

Sure, a single playthrough is 5-6 hours, but I've got 15 hrs on my save and I'm still going. I'm sure a lot of the people in this thread have way more. You just gotta try to play the game the way it was designed to be played, and you'll find a whole new game.

Sure, a single playthrough is 5-6 hours, but I've got 15 hrs on my save and I'm still going. I'm sure a lot of the people in this thread have way more. You just gotta try to play the game the way it was designed to be played, and you'll find a whole new game.

Of course I will go back for a 2nd playthrough... and I will do that.

seriously?

looks like you are in the wrong thread champ...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=507773

there you go.

Vercimber

Negative post

Well, on my fourth playthrough, I beat the game in 1:32. Sounds to me like you rushed through the game without exploring its nuances, upgrading weapons and other items, or playing the VLC missions. The story is stupid, but the Codecs--even if there are 600 of the damn things--are generally interesting, and some are downright educational.

This game is designed to be played through multiple times with varying degrees of difficulty and customization.

But play the way you want, obviously.

It's my favorite game in a long, long time.

This game really is worth full price, I even paid $150 for the Limited Edition and still haven't felt buyer's remorse.

Some people may say the game is short, though it will take an estimated 8 to 10 hours for your first playthrough if you play through it blind. But then you have mountains of replay value with the unlockables, easter eggs, upgrade system, VR missions, S ranks, and DLC. Its very impressive how much Platinum stacked onto this game with the development time they had.

My file has a recorded amount of 20 hours of gameplay and I still haven't done everything there is to do in this game.

It's the kinda game I simply can't attach a price to. I'll be playing this pretty much nonstop for months/years to come unless the sequel comes sooner than anyone expects. Did the same with DMC3.

Rising isn't a lengthy game for the casual player, but they need to figure out some way to end this playtime nonsense.

It will end when people become capable of using common sense and realize that they played the game longer than it tells them at the end.

zainetor

Banned
Rising isn't a lengthy game for the casual player, but they need to figure out some way to end this playtime nonsense.

It's just prejudice. People buy a regular metal gear game, that isnt as much as replayable as rising and they pay full price for it. Without cutscenes ,I think mgs4 and rising last about the same amount of time.

I have 53 hours in this game. 0_0

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
been loving and playing this game days straight as soon as it arrived in the mail a couple days ago but DAMN is VR 18 making me MAD.

i'd rather do the vanquish challenges all over again than VR 18

):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yY6wAPnKLE&list=WL1D98819143C9C4DA

This helped me alot

I actually think 18 is easier than 19, which is just frustrating simply because of the restrictions in place

The only hard part is wave 3, which was much easier to manage once I learned about the method in this video.

I wasn't able to replicate it 100% but I was able to improvise enough to clear it.

jrcbandit

this shit happens with every goddamn game platinum develops.
people just dont get it.

The length is why my friends didn't buy it and are waiting until it hits $30-45 range. Konami made a huge mistake in not having any discounts. They would have had significantly more sales if online retailers were offering $15-20 store credit for preordering like many major releases do. I think the only discounts to be had was $10 off from Newegg, and that sale was only for subscribers to their newsletter and for only a couple of days.

Sephzilla

It's just prejudice. People buy a regular metal gear game, that isnt as much as replayable as rising and they pay full price for it. Without cutscenes ,I think mgs4 and rising last about the same amount of time.

They really are. I can beat MGS4 in about the same time as Rising if I skip all cutscenes and just try to do the bare minimum. Act 3 in MGS4 is almost non existent if you skip cutscenes.

I got to the end of VR Mission 19, but nothing happened and the mission didn't clear. I killed all enemies with Zandatsu including the final three fenrirs but nothing happened. No more enemies popped up nor did the invisible walls go away.

Glitch?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Goddamn I can't even begin to put words to describe the cathartic feeling of seeing those trophies pop up on screen

never. again.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The length is why my friends didn't buy it and are waiting until it hits $30-45 range. Konami made a huge mistake in not having any discounts. They would have had significantly more sales if online retailers were offering $15-20 store credit for preordering like many major releases do. I think the only discounts to be had was $10 off from Newegg, and that sale was only for subscribers to their newsletter and for only a couple of days.

Where do you see online retailers selling pre-orders for $15-20 off? That very very rarely happens, and it's usually only Newegg that does it.

I don't think it was practical for Konami to offer discounts like that. But I also think it was a mistake to have the final time count listed without explanation... it led to far too many assumptions and speculation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yY6wAPnKLE&list=WL1D98819143C9C4DA

This helped me alot

I actually think 18 is easier than 19, which is just frustrating simply because of the restrictions in place

The only hard part is wave 3, which was much easier to manage once I learned about the method in this video.

I wasn't able to replicate it 100% but I was able to improvise enough to clear it.

I can't stand the regular sized guys with the reinforced armor on the second level (not the hammer guys, the other ones), they're the only thing that really held me up in #19. The Raptors were more annoying than I expected but only because they're suck-versions of Mastiffs and seemingly jump around with no rhyme or reason.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I can't stand the regular sized guys with the reinforced armor on the second level (not the hammer guys, the other ones), they're the only thing that really held me up in #19. The Raptors were more annoying than I expected but only because they're suck-versions of Mastiffs and seemingly jump around with no rhyme or reason.

I was able to find out that standing at the opposite wall of where they spawn gets them to consistently jump at the same time at you, which is easy to counter

the video really breaks that down.

but I'd fuck that up alot too so I really learned the ins and outs of their tells through this mission.(my back up plan was to just run away and bait their drop kick, which I ended up having to do on my completion run lol)

I was able to find out that standing at the opposite wall of where they spawn gets them to consistently jump at the same time at you, which is easy to counter

the video really breaks that down.

but I'd fuck that up alot too so I really learned the ins and outs of their tells through this mission.(my back up plan was to just run away and bait their drop kick)

Yeah Mastiffs are easy once you learn to bait either that kick or the jump in a position you can actually see them. The camera is the only enemy I still have with them.

Oh my mistake... I had no idea that I have to praise the game so much just to get along with everyone else that love it.

I shouldn't have been honest with my opinion?

Good god I did't say it's a bad game or trashed the developers, read my post carefully please.. I'm even going back for a 2nd playthrough.

:/

Oh my mistake... I had no idea that I have to praise the game so much just to get along with everyone else that love it.

I shouldn't have been honest with my opinion?

Good god I did't say it's a bad game or trashed the developers, read my post carefully please.. I'm even going back for a 2nd playthrough.

:/

Don't worry. I know exactly what you mean. I didn't feel like a "real" MGS story.

But those things made it distinct enough so it didn't feel like some cheap emulation of MGS. It was over the top crazy Platinum games action game injected into MGS universe (which is crazy enough on its own).

And I loved the game for what it was.

Top Bottom