• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Oh my mistake... I had no idea that I have to praise the game so much just to get along with everyone else that love it.

I shouldn't have been honest with my opinion?

Good god I did't say it's a bad game or trashed the developers, read my post carefully please.. I'm even going back for a 2nd playthrough.

:/

You made the same mistake that every games journalist did in reviewing this game and looked at the wrong clock to evaluate your time spent on the game. You idly mentioned that the game had fun gameplay but then went on a drawn out rant about disappointment with the story and length.

You also make the mistake in assuming that Metal Gear Rising should be ANYTHING like Metal Gear Solid story wise. It's a different line of games, a different genre, and it should be appealing to a different demographic. The game is paced really well. I'm shocked to see people who think that the proper pacing of this game is somehow worse than the awkwardly placed exposition in the Metal Gear Solid series (I like the MGS series a lot).

Your kneejerk reactions just made everyone annoyed because we haven't heard those outdated and irrelevant complaints since launch day.

I don't think anyone said your opinion was invalid. But you are wrong about the play time, and many of us believe that it's a non-factor for this game. Though if you are judging it by a single playthrough which was most likely on normal, then you are indeed doing it wrong.

Sephzilla

Oh my mistake... I had no idea that I have to praise the game so much just to get along with everyone else that love it.

Good god I did't say it's a bad game or trashed the developers, read my post carefully please.. I'm even going back for a 2nd playthrough.

I respect Platinum Studio so much, they know how to make amazing games... but this IMO is a very overrated game only because of the studio behind it.

I know you probably didn't mean it to come off sounding that harsh, but you did sort of trash Platinum with that line.

Disappointment in a game's length is usually a result of enjoying the game. Of course I want a good game to be longer! That's why I'm excited for the Sam and Bladewolf missions, and hopeful for a sequel.

I think MGR pretty replayable as far as action games go, and probably would be one of the best in that regard if the camera was more functional. All the missions are well-structured and generally completely free of fat, minus the slow walking section and the unarmed phase against the final boss. The dwarf gekko section had potential to be a total pain, but you can complete that sequence in under a minute quite easily if you don't care for it, and they kept the flyer sequence pretty minimal.

I've spent over 30 hours on the game according to the save clock (I don't know how that one is calculated, it definitely feels like more), which is more than I've spent on any AAA game in the last 2 years. It's definitely a pretty flawed game, and if anyone gave it an 8/10 or a 7/10 I wouldn't find it unfair, but seeing what they did in such a short amount of time I'm looking forward to a next-gen MGR2 with a proper development cycle more than I am for DMC5 or NG4 or maybe even Bayo2.

The save clock is definitely lying. I don't think it counts time in menus at all (and maybe other things). When I was listening to codecs I had been playing MGR for like 3 hours but the save clock only added like 40 minutes.

Risette

A Good Citizen
You also make the mistake in assuming that Metal Gear Rising should be ANYTHING like Metal Gear Solid story wise. It's a different line of games, a different genre, and it should be appealing to a different demographic. The game is paced really well. I'm shocked to see people who think that the proper pacing of this game is somehow worse than the awkwardly placed exposition in the Metal Gear Solid series (I like the MGS series a lot).
Uh, the writing is pretty similar. It's about memes and killing videogame characters and child soldiers and stuff.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Uh, the writing is pretty similar. It's about memes and killing videogame characters and child soldiers and stuff.

Yes, but there's MUCH less exposition and drama. There's substantial codec conversations and background info, but even then it's diminutive when compared to the average Metal Gear Solid title. And it's tonally different in cutscenes and characterizations to a typical Metal Gear Solid title as well (well, post MGS1 anyway. I actually think that the bosses feel similar to MGS1 bosses in terms of their introduction).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
"Just you and me, Jack."

So, yeah No-damagining
Sam
seems pretty straightforward but I'm missing parry windows and getting hit. I got them down to 40% passed the QTE only to eat an attack shortly after. Anger.

What is the preferred weapon set-up to use for it? Pincer Blades seem to take a nice chunk of health off but leave you open for a while even with dodge canceling and using the i-frames of the dodge doesn't seem to work.

"Just you and me, Jack."

So, yeah No-damagining
Sam
seems pretty straightforward but I'm missing parry windows and getting hit. I got them down to 40% passed the QTE only to eat an attack shortly after. Anger.

What is the preferred weapon set-up to use for it? Pincer Blades seem to take a nice chunk of health off but leave you open for a while even with dodge canceling and using the i-frames of the dodge doesn't seem to work.

Murasama + Ripper mode is all you need. Two parries will kill him on Revengeance.

Slermy

I can't even get senator down past 150% health. Fuck those boulders he throws at you. Fuck this entire battle.

Easy Mode.

Armstrong hits hard but he's incredibly easy. You don't even need to parry: the bloke only has a few attacks...the ones that aren't blockable are telegraphed like mad and the ones that are follow very strict patterns. He's easier to get no damage on than pretty much any other boss in the game, in fact I reckon he's easier than Sundowner's second form since Sundowner's shieldless form has a combo that leads to an unblockable charge swing that needs solid dodge timing.

If Sundowner was less of a push over, people probably would find Armstrong a lot easier and complain more about Sundowner. He basically teaches you everything you need to grind Armstrong into the ground.

I'm currently playing this on hard, and am also having difficulty defeating him. I've gotten him down to 75% health, but those boulders tear me up. I can often pull off the first slice of the boulders, but I always fail the second.

Any tips? Is there a way to dodge these?

also, I used the Fox blade through the rest of the game, and it's maxed out, but I don't have that weapon in this fight. I'm assuming upgrades to your basic sword also won't carry over since you're using Sam's for the fight?

Guess I will repost this:

Figured I would start by getting S-rank with Sam on Revengeance (since he is the entire chapter). My process for how I did it (seems pretty foolproof):

1. Grab that health pack right near the start of the battle (for some extra BP, not necessary though as getting 40-50 hit combo should get you an S). Stay locked on to him the entire match. If you get hit, restart (obviously).

2. Start running away, when Sam comes to slash at you (he initiates this instantly after you are a distance away) do the offensive dodge, stinger him (gives you like 3 hits), offensive dodge. Then just run away and repeat this till he is at 66.66% health. You should have a 40-50 hit combo trivially easy.

3. Initiate the second phase of battle so Sam has only his fists. Just offensive dodge every time he tries to grab you then wail away on him for a bit, repeat. Pretty easy.

4. Third stage:
Stay at like mid range and wait for Sam to initiate attacks (at this point in the battle, using stinger will usually cause Sam to be flung way back giving you some good distance from him). After most of his attacks he just kind of chills out for a little bit giving you an opportunity to stinger him.

Jumping attack - offensive dodge when he is about to hit you, then stinger him.

Three-slash attack - offensive dodge (or parry if you are a wimp I guess) the three hits then stinger him. Sometimes on the third slash he will stop attacking, if he does this just offensive dodge away.

Single slash attack - offensive dodge, stinger.

Throws rocks at you - offensive dodge out of the way of the rocks, then stinger.

5. When he is at 10% health wait for Sam to initiate an attack. Whatever it is just offensive dodge - if it is the final attack that lets you finish the battle press Triangle + Circle to finish it, otherwise you just dodged out of the way.

Wasn't too hard.

RangerBAD

I'm currently playing this on hard, and am also having difficulty defeating him. I've gotten him down to 75% health, but those boulders tear me up. I can often pull off the first slice of the boulders, but I always fail the second.

also, I used the Fox blade through the rest of the game, and it's maxed out, but I don't have that weapon in this fight. I'm assuming upgrades to your basic sword also won't carry over since you're using Sam's for the fight?

Start running toward him before he throws it and you'll go underneath it.

"Just you and me, Jack."

So, yeah No-damagining
Sam

My mistake was thinking Sam's string of combos were as fast as Monsoon's. I started completely parrying his attacks once I got a feel for those half-second gaps between his attacks. The one where he slashes at your thigh can still catch me every now and then though.

TheSeks

Murasama + Ripper mode is all you need. Two parries will kill him on Revengeance.

I'm playing on Very Hard I no-damaged the bosses before this one on Very Hard, so I want to do it on Very Hard. I know comboing them seems impossible on Revengence but I don't really want to worry about no-damage if I can help it.

I've been wondering something particular about Sam. When you kill him, it is revealed he "barely has any cyborg enhancement". Essentially he is a true warrior in a traditional sense, I suppose. But his suit look like cyborg suit. If it not, then what is it? And what's the thing about his right arm? I have been wondering about this.

I've been wondering something particular about Sam. When you kill him, it is revealed he "barely has any cyborg enhancement". Essentially he is a true warrior in a traditional sense, I suppose. But his suit look like cyborg suit. If it not, then what is it? And what's the thing about his right arm? I have been wondering about this.

It's a "super-suit" essentially. Sam still has cybernetic enhancements, but compared to the other enemies - and Raiden himself - he's pretty much the most "human" fighter.

In the sense that his existing human body hasn't been altered that much. Raiden is essentially just a brain and a spine inside a cyborg frame. Sam just has like a modified enhancement suit on.

RangerBAD

I think only Sam's right arm is cyborg tech. The suit is just that; a suit.

This is what I thought too. His arm is cybernetic for better drawing speed and cutting strength. He does have that sheath, but I guess he wants

march80x001op.png

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
"Nanomachines, son" is the most sense this franchise has made in the last 8 years
The funny thing is, I was genuinely
caught off guard by that obvious revelation.

"hahahaha OF COURSE! Why didn't I think of that?!"

Makes me think they intentionally kept the game's nanomachine references to a minimum, just so the Armstrong part would have maximum impact.

Defunkled

Never been this mad at a game before. VR 27 is sending me through the fucking roof. Sometimes the red box DISAPPEARS BEFORE I CAN EVEN ATTEMPT TO ZANDATSU. And getting the Gold time is COMPLETELY dependent on the Gekko using the charge move. Someone please help me with this.

Never been this mad at a game before. VR 27 is sending me through the fucking roof. Sometimes the red box DISAPPEARS BEFORE I CAN EVEN ATTEMPT TO ZANDATSU. And getting the Gold time is COMPLETELY dependent on the Gekko using the charge move. Someone please help me with this.
Have you thrown the controller yet?

TheSeks

I still can't gold VR mission 1, so don't feel bad.

(That stupid Gekko.)

Incster

Neo Member
Then, at some point, something amazing happened. Every time I played the game, I actually felt better at it.

This is so, so true. I played Vanquish and really enjoyed it but never at any point did I feel like I had mastered it. MGR on the other hand kept me engaged long enough to hit that point.

Emitan

And who thought this game's camera could handle a fight with 3 Mastiffs and a Gekko? Do they play test this stuff?

I don't have many issues with the camera but then again I'm a Monster Hunter fan. I am constantly fiddling with it while in the middle of combat.

Defunkled

I don't have many issues with the camera but then again I'm a Monster Hunter fan. I am constantly fiddling with it while in the middle of combat.

I don't have many issues either, it's just so fucking annoying. Getting constantly barraged by offscreen attacks is infuriating.

Given your gushing love for DmC i just found it a bit ironic you are singling out rising for the exact same flaws that game has.

but hay, whatever. Opinions, assholes and all that.

Ninja run forwards if you can't cut them.

Cutting them is fairly simple. Move the stick to position and let your thumb slide off the stick. This should make sure you don't change the direction of the cut.

Hypron

So that's done. It took me 2 nights and today from 11am to 6pm to get all the VR missions done. Some of those are way harder than the original ones (VR DL 27 is a major pain in the ass -think VR 19, but 10x worse-... 28 is really annoying as well).

Quality wise, I'd say they are on par or maybe a bit worse than the original ones. There are a couple of fun missions (the fistfight one is pretty good, and the first couple of the ones where you control a dwarf gecko are pretty fun as well), but I hate the fact that a lot of these missions rely on those fucking mines. It's not fun to get killed in one hit by these mines, at all.

Also, I don't know what went through platinum's mind when they created the blue maps... You can't see anything! That's really, really annoying, especially during mission 27 because on top of having to deal with the annoying camera, you also need to make twice as much of an effort to see what's going on.

To me it seems like their main objective when creating these maps was to make them challenging (which they did successfully)... But they forgot to make them fun as well.

Edit:
Ninja run forwards if you can't cut them.

Cutting them is fairly simple. Move the stick to position and let your thumb slide off the stick. This should make sure you don't change the direction of the cut.

There's an even better way actually: orient the slash using the stick, and then use one of the face buttons to slice. That way you cut exactly where you want and you there's no way to mess up the cut when you release the stick.

Raxus

So in the past two hours I managed to
S rank Sam, S rank Excelsius
and get to the final boss, finish him with NO DAMAGE annnnnnd...A rank 9900.

Me:
izFq252q7OrbJ.gif

jett

D-Member
So in the past two hours I managed to
S rank Sam, S rank Excelsius
and get to the final boss, finish him with NO DAMAGE annnnnnd...A rank 9900.

Me:
izFq252q7OrbJ.gif

lol.

I hope you backup saved just before the final fight. I know that if I hadn't picked up those extra nanopastes and if I hadn't abused the inifinite blade mode wig to get a huge combo bonus I wouldn't have S-ranked the boss, even with no damage.

Raxus

lol.

I hope you backup saved just before the final fight. I know that if I hadn't picked up those extra nanopastes and if I hadn't abused the inifinite blade mode wig to get a huge combo bonus I wouldn't have S-ranked the boss, even with no damage.

Thankfully I did. I may have to do the fist fight but I can avoid the fight before it(thank the lord).

I am kind of shocked how easy the fight was. Once you get his patterns down all you have to do is get him down to 150ish and the rest of the fight is scripted for you.

MCD

So...I was playing on Easy and following a video guide to get all the collectable crap

I missed something in chapter 3 so I said, OK, let's just restart the mission then it hits me: Will I not get the hostages achievement by doing this?

Please tell me I didn't just waste hours of my miserable life.

Top Bottom