• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

This games most severe problem is easily the camera to me. I think the game is very well designed on paper but who ever implemented the camera... my god man. I wish there was a toggle that could turn auto correcting off entirely and just let me manage it myself because I think I could do a better job honestly (also the fact that the R3 camera center... doesn't snap instantly like Ninja Gaiden is bad).

Also I wish the game was more explicit in labeling things that are cheats as cheats (or maybe my idea was right, everything in the game is a cheat except for the HF blade!).

RangerBAD

ngbbs50428c7193ce9.jpg

I'm Virtually a Lightning God of the Metaverse! (All trophies including DLC GET.)

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
The offensive dodge move is god tier in this game, its almost too good. Its useful for putting space between you and enemies (or getting to enemies), it has a shit ton of invincibility frames (so it is very easy to just dodge into an enemies attack so you never have to stop attacking), and it is also an attack (keeps combo going, constant hits increase the chance of stagger/dizzy). It decimates a large portion of the bosses and in general is as useful if not more useful than the parry.

I think it depends on the difficulty level. Like I agree with you on hard, but I don't think your case holds up on Revengeance. Parry is crucial not only to managing waves but getting those fast clear times on that difficulty.

It's still really good for bosses, but I don't think the bosses suffer from the same haphazard approach to difficulty design that the regular encounters do.(How to make it harder? Throw some mastiffs in that bitch)

In fact the bosses don't change much at all. They just do more damage which is a non-issue if you're already able to no damage clear the fights.

VR Missions are bad and expose bad things about this video game. I'm not even downloading those DLC missions, fuck that.

But Madworld tier, c'mon my nigga, that's low.

hahaha yeah that's definitely the salt talking

I don't think Madworld is a better game conceptually, or even in execution really, but I think the difference is I didn't walk away from MadWorld thinking it'd be so much better if it wasn't for those garbage parts. (I'm one of the few who enjoyed it for what it was)

MadWorld was a flawed concept, Rising is squandered potential.

Like I was loving the game on hard. If I had stopped there my opinion on this would be completely different, but I played the VR missions and S ranked Revengeance and, like you said, that really only served to highlight the flaws of the game in my eyes.

RangerBAD

I still really enjoyed the game even with the bad camera and what I call cheap elements (especially highlighted in the VR Missions). I'd never do those VR mission again, and that was probably the most frustrating part of the game. That and making it too easy to erase all your upgrades by using New Game.

I think it depends on the difficulty level. Like I agree with you on hard, but I don't think your case holds up on Revengeance. Parry is crucial not only to managing waves but getting those fast clear times on that difficulty.

Oh yeah, on Revengeance specifically parry is very good, because it is an OHKO on pretty much everything. I don't really see Revengeance as the ultimate difficulty in this game (like DMD is to DMC) because it is basically just a rule change (think like a none joke version Heaven or Hell of DMC). I think both Very Hard and Revengeance are both perfectly fine difficulties to play on.

I hope MGR2 happens because the thing I like most about Revengeance is that they managed to make an action game that has its own identity (and also, it has almost zero bullshit filler like those horrible tribute sequences in Bayonetta or the shitty platforming in DmC). I would also be happy with like a MGR: Subridiculousness re-release with a fixed camera and lots of new content.

Emitan

Oh yeah, on Revengeance specifically parry is very good, because it is an OHKO on pretty much everything. I don't really see Revengeance as the ultimate difficulty in this game (like DMD is to DMC) because it is basically just a rule change (think like a none joke version Heaven or Hell of DMC). I think both Very Hard and Revengeance are both perfectly fine difficulties to play on.

I hope MGR2 happens because the thing I like most about Revengeance is that they managed to make an action game that has its own identity (and also, it has almost zero bullshit filler like those horrible tribute sequences in Bayonetta or the shitty platforming in DmC). I would also be happy with like a MGR: Subridiculousness re-release with a fixed camera and lots of new content.

Oh please this. Camera is finally giving me trouble now that I'm on very hard instead of hard and normal. What I want:
More weapons
More bosses
Fixed camera

Emitan

I'm not really asking for more story areas so I wouldn't say I'm asking for a sequel. I wouldn't mind getting some more normal chapters as DLC though!

I haven't tried the VR missions yet but I'm disappointed that a lot of people don't seem to like them.

Dave1988

Started my Revengeance playthrough and I just fucking parried a bullet from Metal Gear Ray part 2 and OHKO'd it LOL!!!!

Wait, what?

It's amazing how OP perfect parry is on Revengeance. I managed to No Damage and S rank Sam because one perfect parry takes off 70% of his life and allows you to bypass the second stage of the fight outright. I still can't S rank him on lower difficulties lol.

RangerBAD

Wait, what?

It's amazing how OP perfect parry is on Revengeance. I managed to No Damage and S rank Sam because one perfect parry takes off 70% of his life and allows you to bypass the second stage of the fight outright. I still can't S rank him on lower difficulties lol.

Pincers and charge level 1 after you get the combo. I managed to get a time of 2:58 on Very Hard.

Emitan

Is there a good way to practice perfect parries? I get them sometimes on very hard but I have no idea what the timing actually is. Witch Time made more sense to me.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I haven't tried the VR missions yet but I'm disappointed that a lot of people don't seem to like them.

They're just "bleh". I didn't really dislike them as much as a lot of people here, but some of them really just aren't very fun and some are downright frustrating largely due to camera issues.

A few are unique ones, like sneaking missions and stuff. I wasn't really expecting anything mind blowing from them anyways.

They're just "bleh". I didn't really dislike them as much as a lot of people here, but some of them really just aren't very fun and some are downright frustrating largely due to camera issues.

A few are unique ones, like sneaking missions and stuff. I wasn't really expecting anything mind blowing from them anyways.

I just don't understand how the sub-weapon ones got created. Did anyone on staff actually think the grenade one was fun in anyway shape or form?

Revven

Wait, what?

You can actually not do the second part of the fight (where he has no sword) by never zandatsuing his sword away. You can then just loop him with the launcher, parry the move he does, cancel out blade mode, combo into launcher into aerial combo, parry again, rinse and repeat until he's at 40% life.

Of course, this is on lower difficulties (Easy to Very Hard). It makes what takes the longest time in the fight much shorter because you're not waiting for him to stop dodging you all the time + not waiting for the specific cutscene to activate for him to grab his sword again.

This happened to me as well, I just sat there laughing like an idiot for 2 minutes haha.

Yeah, I was blown away and laughed so much I couldn't finish running down the tower properly; I died like three times before competing it (still got an S).

I wasn't even intending to parry the bullet, I was going to parry his head when he rams it into the roof but instead at *just* the right time Raiden parried a stray bullet perfectly and the counter hit just so happened to hit Ray as its head was coming down. Fucking beautiful.

I wish I had it recorded!

Emitan

your mission list:

ninja gaiden black master ninja
bayonetta infinite climax
vanquish god hard
ninja gaiden 2 master ninja
dmc1/dmc3/dmc4 dante must die
god hand hard mode
viewtiful joe ultra v rated

I can't beat God Hand on Easy and lost my copy of Viewtiful Joe :(

But I would like to get good at most of those games, I just get distracted by other stuff.

Also I got bored of Vanquish because I am tired of shooters.

-Winnie-

Goddamnit, trying to no-damage
Armstrong
is a pain in the ass. I wish there wasn't that checkpoint right after he hits you during the
hand to hand phase
. :/

Wait, what?

Wait, you can perfect parry Sam?

I need to get gud.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Armstrong
is a pain in the ass. I wish there wasn't that checkpoint right after he hits you during the
hand to hand phase

That's what got me too. Just keep your distance from him and eventually your HUD will disappear and you won't take damage when he attacks. You don't have to fight him at all at that part.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
lol. didn't know this was possible.

lol yeah that's how I did that section

It's pretty easy to repeat too. Just stand on the right hand side of the screen and wait for it to do the headbutt that leaves it stuck in the wall on the right hand side

Whenever it does that move it'll fire off its vulcan on that side, so you pretty much just parry as soon as it starts shooting at you and the Ray will move into the counter

I usually don't like those kind of giant fights in these games, but Ray was a really fun encounter.

You can perfect parry anything that's not a grab, explosive, or "unblockable".

Can't perfect parry hammer dudes. and I think the custom cyborg front kick can't be blocked either despite not having a yellow glow like other unblockables. There's a whole bunch of odd examples.

Which is exactly why I didn't like blocking/parrying in darksiders. Hard to tell what's unblockable/unparryable and what's just user error on your part.(Except darksiders was a whole different can of worms in that some moves were parryable, but unblockable IIRC)

Rising does a better job with the glows, but it still has the same problem

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Armstrong
hand to hand phase

Yeah that sucks.

Luckily I read ViewtifulJC's post on here before my attempt so I knew to quit out to title and copy my save when I got to that point

Robot Pants

I'm not so sure. I don't think the game is very good at higher difficulties either. Like I'd love to see a player consistently play the double grad fight straight at the end of chapter 2 on Revengeance/Very Hard and no damage/S rank it.

because from the perspective of someone at my skill level that shit is just impossible outside of cheesing it.(perfect parrying the opening move and then stun locking them) Raiden just doesn't have the tools to consistently deal with all the variables in that fight. The explosive debris, all the random bullets that will tag you if you aren't ninja running. One of the grads firing missiles at you while you're in the process of fighting the other etc. there's just too much random shit to keep track of to try and play it straight imo.

as opposed to Bayonetta where Pure Platinum's could be achieved not only playing the game straight, but with a variety of different weapons and strategies. There was alot more freedom of play even at the highest difficulty under the most strict of self imposed player limitations.

I just don't see that potential in Rising.

but like I said maybe some distance from the game will change my opinion.
A fucking men. I've been saying this for a few weeks now. After platinuming it, I'm curious who is still finding value in the game.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
A fucking men. I've been saying this for a few weeks now. After platinuming it, I'm curious who is still finding value in the game.

I'm waiting on DLC for it.

I do agree that there should be more "timeless" content, and this is something that Platinum needs to consider for the future of the series... like a Bloody Palace.

But yeah, after 1000/1000 the game in its entirety, I'm not really going back to it. I'm eager for more content, though.

Hypron

Yeah God Hard is a bit much at times. I think that Tact Challenge 6 is set to Hard difficulty?

Yep. I almost never say that but the game is way more fun to play on Hard than God Hard. Tactical challenge 6 is really challenging but isn't cheap at all, as opposed to some God Hard encounters.

I dunno man. Games have end points eventually. This game definitely doesn't take an eon like trying to S rank everything in DMC3 DMD (something that I still haven't done) but most games aren't like that. I was largely done with the Ninja Gaiden games after beating them on Master Ninja but those games are so good I come back to them pretty much every year. After I Platinum this game I will wait for the DLC, check that out and then come back to the game later in my life (maybe go for some HF blade only runs or whatever).

I think on a whole I may enjoy this game more than Bayonetta just because there is so much bullshit to wade through in Bayonetta while playing it (beyond even the boring, game shattering tribute stages). I don't really dig the bosses in Bayonetta either (except maybe the rival boss fights with Jeanne). I literally cannot name the bosses anymore and I played the game several times. I eventually want to go back and finish my infinite climax run (I did not stop out of difficulty or anything, I got sidetracked with something else) but it is definitely not a game I would try to pure platinum. It isn't as interesting to play for ranks as DMC3/DMC4 to me.

Roubjon

After completing it for the first time yesterday on hard and then playing up until after the fight with Monsoon on Very Hard mode today, I can really see what you guys are talking about when it comes to the longevity of the game. There really isn't that much freedom with how the game works and it gets to a point where you are doing the exact same thing every fight.

There just aren't enough options, and there are so many ways to basically cheese yourself out of fights to the point where I don't like using legitimate moves, like Ripper Mode, because it just makes the difficulty really awkward.

I am going to say that I do love the game though. I think a sequel could really improve upon the base that was built here.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Goddamn it. I can get
Sam
down to 20-10% no-damage done to me if they don't rush my ass and simply let me attack them with the P. Blades.

You can somewhat glitch them at the opening with YYY. (Throw them at the rocks), Charge-Y->Fly them, may get lucky if you ninja run and charge-Y them again to fly them to 60% easy. Otherwise you miss and have to dodge or parry them to 60% QTE. Dodge attacks to 40%, QTE. Rushin' attack parry parry parry (if they aren't far away to where your parry/block of the intial rush is too short/you eat an attack due to Raiden not holding a defensive stance to brace for it for long). Make them eat an attack as they taunt to 10%.

Nearly had it no damage but missed a QTE since I kept attacking thinking 0% needed to be done. Ugh.

Just as bad as
Monsoon
no damage for me. Mostly because I can't land a perfect parry on Very Hard to save my life.

Izuna

Banned
Okay then, I have one day to finish MGR on V.Hard for the first time.

I restarted from Hard from Chapter 4, and it's a lot more fun on V.Hard. However I'm not very happy with how this game deals with difficulty, but whatever.

On Chapter 3 where you have to destroy the GRAD was ultimate BS. Took me about 5 retries, and I'm wondering if I just "did it wrong".

Basically my strategy consisted of parrying the first attack, grabbing both healing items, then trying to kill them, parrying what I could. It didn't occur to me that the secondary GRAD (as in, the one that didn't deplete the boss health on the bottom) was actually a different enemy despite looking and fighting the same.

The second GRAD could be killed faster since you didn't need to get it to 10% before finishing it off, and once I figured this out I was able to do it in a couple of tries.

However it was a close call because I cannot for the life of me understand how you stop being hit by the machinegun. If I parry and cut off a bit of armour, it seemed that I was guaranteed to be hit. Not to mention waiting to parry an attack after seeing the orange flash meant that I couldn't avoid the other shooting me. If this really is unavoidable, then I really don't understand that design choice.

I WAS able to finally figure out why the targeting was ****ing me off though. It's because I used to lock-on then try to use the right-analogue stick to move the camera (habit), but I didn't realise it was actually changing my lock-on.

So far I have a like-hate relationship with this game, with it being difficult for the wrong reasons.

Can't perfect parry hammer dudes. and I think the custom cyborg front kick can't be blocked either despite not having a yellow glow like other unblockables.

You definitely can block it; I just did five minutes ago. I've never been able to block it while facing them, but just now I did block a kick by accident while trying to block an attack from another enemy, so it is possible.

Also I just wanted to say that I agree with you about the goofy side stuff in Bayonetta. I really liked that and thought it helped give the game character; I never agreed with all the hate for it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well, speaking of parryable or unblockables:
Sam
's first phase's kick attack is undodgeable. You can dodge, but the i-frames don't kick in so you basically eat the attack all the same.

WTF, Platinum? This inconsistency is a little funky and annoying.

Izuna

Banned
Oh cool, Revengeance mode seems to be easier for un-upgraded Raiden. Figured I should restart (again) since there's definitely something not right with playing V.Hard -- Revengeance may be easier for me.

Top Bottom