• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
God. I just wonder what they were thinking when they were making this

Zandatsu is so shitty on Revengeance

Not only does it fucking disorientate you with it's dynamic camera angles. (which is especially problematic in this game, since all your defensive options are based around directional inputs)

but the enemies can start moving again in real time before Raiden.

So often you have enemies positioning themselves right to fuck you up as soon as you're active again.

What's the design sense in that?

I want to like this game so much but it's just so bleh in so many ways.

(Realized he didn't get the platinum after completion because he didn't stick around to watch credits. Missed a rank in chapter 4. Now gets the pleasure of replaying that wonderful stage again)

Not to mention there's a period of time where you can't adjust the camera after doing a zandatsu QTE.

I've tried messing the the camera sensitivity. At first I thought turning it up would help, but that just makes the auto-correct swings more severe.

Yuterald

Finally finished my first playthrough on Hard this afternoon. Kept hearing about how hard the final boss was, from buddies, and on this forum, I guess. I definitely died a bunch of times, but once I figured out how to get around his
regenerative
nonsense I was good to go. I was mainly dying from running into his flame field shit. The fight was really cool, lots of great cuts and satisfying moments, etc., but I'm not too hot on the
restorative health
spamming to get through the fight. I guess that's why those things drop when you cut those rocks in half, right? Maybe there's another way to beat him without using those things, but I didn't see any other way during my first attempt. Oh well.

Cool game, probably my GOTY so far, but not my favorite Platinum Game though. Looking forward to checking out the rest of the modes and shit over the next few months.

EDIT: Whoa, just read something majorly questionable about those cool Titles you can unlock. Is it true that you have to wipe your ranks/upgrades (basically start a "new game") to obtain some of those difficulty-related Titles? That's pretty crazy. Glad I didn't rush for S ranks right away because apparently there's a title to get all S's on every difficulty on every chapter as well. I would have hated to do that shit first and then realize my results were to be wiped if I went for other ones. Pretty odd design decision.

SkylineRKR

God. I just wonder what they were thinking when they were making this

Zandatsu is so shitty on Revengeance

Not only does it fucking disorientate you with it's dynamic camera angles. (which is especially problematic in this game, since all your defensive options are based around directional inputs)

but the enemies can start moving again in real time before Raiden.

So often you have enemies positioning themselves right to fuck you up as soon as you're active again.

What's the design sense in that?

I want to like this game so much but it's just so bleh in so many ways.

(Realized he didn't get the platinum after completion because he didn't stick around to watch credits. Missed a rank in chapter 4. Now gets the pleasure of replaying that wonderful stage again)

The game is very unfinished to me. The camera feels like it should've been in a different game. I don't get why it has to be so up close in a slasher like this. Chapter 4 onward feels quickly slapped on and the second weapon replacing hard slashes isn't that cool in my book either. Then there is the customize thing that ends your current game and the dog thats severely underused.

I hope a sequel will actually take more cues from other slashers. I'd prefer a different camera that at least shows you that someones about to fuck you in the ass. As boring as DmC was, I thought its camera was very decent.

Deitus

Trying to No Damage the final boss on very hard is going to make me put a hole through a wall. It's not so much that he's hard. I mean he is hard, and I am screwing up plenty and learning from my mistakes in the process. That I can deal with.

But my blade mode keeps readjusting itself after I let go of the stick. This is the fifth time I've gotten to the final throwing phase of the fight, only for the game to decide that I wanted to cut a horizontal line when I clearly lined up a diagonal cut. The fight is hard enough without the mechanics conspiring against me.

RangerBAD

The game is very unfinished to me. The camera feels like it should've been in a different game. I don't get why it has to be so up close in a slasher like this. Chapter 4 onward feels quickly slapped on and the second weapon replacing hard slashes isn't that cool in my book either. Then there is the customize thing that ends your current game and the dog thats severely underused.

I hope a sequel will actually take more cues from other slashers. I'd prefer a different camera that at least shows you that someones about to fuck you in the ass. As boring as DmC was, I thought its camera was very decent.

MG has a long tradition of putting men's asses in your face to uphold.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
No damaged Sam. Got a B-rank. Dangerously cheesy if you knock him down with the P. Blades and wait for him to get up. You can do EXTREME damage to him during this with charged Y->(on-get-up)Charge-YY->(on-get-up)Charge-YYY->repeat to break his phases. Only then when you get him to 0.1% you have to worry about the QTE popping up/not getting hit. Either it's a glitch or a loop.

That said, I'm going to abuse that (if I can figure out a way to get the two medigels without getting hit going for them) in Revengence if I get a chance.

TheSeks

So, for no damage on
Armstrong
's second phase. If you get hit with the pulse attack, don't lose health AND checkpoint... that doesn't count as a hit right?

TheSeks

Alright, then I just have to get through their 200% health now. Which is OH BOY since there's no checkpoints AFAIK and I'm going to be for sure hit while slowly whittling away damage on them.

chrono01

Alright, then I just have to get through their 200% health now. Which is OH BOY since there's no checkpoints AFAIK and I'm going to be for sure hit while slowly whittling away damage on them.

Armstrong
will automatically initiate the next phase of the encounter even if you don't damage him.

If you're worried about getting hit, simply run/avoid him until enough time passes.

TheSeks

Yes, I know. I'm at the 200% health part now with no damage, which is the hard part now. Avoiding damage while chipping away.

I'm absolutely loving Fox Blade. Fox Blade is way overpowered blade. Much better than HF Blade and HF Muramasa Blade. The only issue with Fox Blade is that it is difficult to zandatsu. This blade is perfect against Mastiffs.

On the other hand, I tried out some VR missions and they are tough and challenging. I like that the life and fuel cell bar are at its default initial state which add the challenge than making it easy having your upgrades carried over. This reminds me of MGS1 Snake VR Missions.

RangerBAD

Yes, I know. I'm at the 200% health part now with no damage, which is the hard part now. Avoiding damage while chipping away.

In Revengeance, it's stupid awesome how much damage you do during the counter punch QTE. I think it considers it a perfect parry. Took like 80% off of him. I don't know if the red armor helps, but I had that equipped on Raiden too.

JPKellams

That custom mix was so baller, though :T

But it isn't our full work, it isn't finished, it made us look bad to all the uncredited demo singers and the final singers, and nearly everyone involved was disappointed that those leaked. It's our fault that we left them on the disc, but I'd love to slap the dude that ripped them off the disc with a trout.

Jintor

Why does so much additional data get left on the disc for demos and things anyway (in general)? Just no time to cut them out before deadlines and things?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Why does so much additional data get left on the disc for demos and things anyway (in general)? Just no time to cut them out before deadlines and things?

Well if you glitched through the barrier during the Wolf fight you could reach a little bit more of R-01. I'm guessing it's all still in there so some random removal doesn't make the game freak out that something is missing and go haywire.

TheSeks

In Revengeance, it's stupid awesome how much damage you do during the counter punch QTE. I think it considers it a perfect parry. Took like 80% off of him. I don't know if the red armor helps, but I had that equipped on Raiden too.

I'm more worried about getting hit than I am the damage. I can nail him to the wall quickly if I don't worry about damage, it's getting hit that is the issue. :/

And with no checkpoints. :/

I mean Mistral was annoying but at least that had three sections to where you could sweat a section and not have to redo "work" to get back where you were. The other bosses require you to restart the ENTIRE fight
well besides Armstrong's three "sections"
which is a bit annoying.

Dummy-ing/commenting things out is a lot faster than removing it. Plus I, since I'm not a business/developer, enjoy it when someone reverse engineers the disc and finds the commented stuff. Of course, since "Hot Coffee" happened this has become a less common (or at least less-done) thing. :/ Seeing areas that were made but didn't get put into the final game due to collision not being done or whatever is interesting to see.

Cutting out a vertical slice of games to put as a demo is apparently really difficult. I say that with no sarcasm, I've seen plenty of developers try to put out a demo and leave massive amounts of playable data on the disc.

RE2 is a good example, where people found a way to get past the demo's walls and basically play much of the game.

Mubbed

DL-Story-01 trophies appear if you check your trophy list while online. It spoils one of the boss fights. It is also listing Rising as a PS3 and Vita title for some reason

DL-VR 27 really was the hardest one. It's so easy to mess up on a zandatsu. Also, enemies like to jump back and fall to their deaths. Then it's time to do it all over again.

The dwarf gekko missions were fun for the most part, and the missions up to DL-VR 20 or so were fun, but I didn't enjoy the rest. Some of the stealth missions only proved how bad trying to play stealthily is at times. There was one dwarf gekko mission in which I had to jump through a small opening. A cyborg was walking and facing towards the right wall. I was to his right, and therefore he shouldn't have been able to see me, but he did. Then, there were a few times in which I was moving right in front of them, and they didn't even notice. I was literally right under their noses.

DL-VR 27 really was the hardest one. It's so easy to mess up on a zandatsu. Also, enemies like to jump back and fall to their deaths. Then it's time to do it all over again.

The dwarf gekko missions were fun for the most part, and the missions up to DL-VR 20 or so were fun, but I didn't enjoy the rest. Some of the stealth missions only proved how bad trying to play stealthily is at times. There was one dwarf gekko mission in which I had to jump through a small opening. A cyborg was walking and facing towards the right wall. I was to his right, and therefore he shouldn't have been able to see me, but he did. Then, there were a few times in which I was moving right in front of them, and they didn't even notice. I was literally right under their noses.

Yeah, every time I got spotted on those dark VRs, the cyborg wasn't even facing me when it showed who spotted me. Assholes were just staring off into the distance with "!" over their head.

I'm on DL-27 now and I'm fine with everything except the camera (surprise!), as it simply can't handle 4 Fenrirs running around. It locks on to random shit (and even that's only if one of them don't inexplicably throw themselves over the side of the arena).

Deitus

Hah, finally got no damage on the final boss on very hard. Only took about 100
tries. I ended up skipping the final cutting section by running under it just because I got to that part so many times only to fail, and there is really no benefit of actually doing that part anyway. Oh well, only S Rank Revengence left for the Platinum. Well, and kill 100 heavy armored cyborgs, but that's more a grind than a challenge.

Yeah, that's the only VR mission I haven't beaten. I'm contemplating just giving up on it altogether. It's just not a fun mission, and getting 7 minutes in only to miss a zandatsu and instantly fail is rage inducing.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Grabbed the VR DLC mission stuff. It's okay. I probably wont get too stuck into it, much like I didn't with the main game VR challenges, though will still try to beat them all. The main issue I have with them is the same as the main game (and it's more a personal taste thing): I find it really hard to get stuck into score based challenges that take too long to load checkpoints and restarts. I've been spoiled by stuff like Super Meat Boy, wherein a total restart is but a single button push and half a second away. With the Rising VR missions a failure means you have to sit through the failure animation/indicator (camera zooms in on guard, guard says something, screen fuzzes out), then sit through the VR loading intro all over again. It's about 10 - 15 seconds worth of time, which sounds trivial, but goes a long way in failing to keep my short attention span.

I really like score based challenges and striving for best times, but I'm the kind of player who, upon fucking something up, would rather just hit a button and be back at the very start, stage and time reset to zero. That way I can keep playing over and over again in rapid succession as I try to beat my time. If I have to sit through loading screens, intros, and exits, it kills my sense of pacing and commitment. This is especially true with Rising, which relies on goofy remixing of existing mechanics to keep the challenges fresh. And the reality is, each of these mechanics is a bit rough at times. Like platforming with the Gekko. It's totally manageable and fun once you get into a groove, but the collision detection on platforms, sense of weight and momentum, and camera angles are faaar from the quality and polish of platforming you'd see in a pure platformer. You don't do a lot of platforming in the main game as it is. So to take a mechanic that's fun but a bit rough, and have to spend a little while getting into the groove, just to them try and beat high scores, results in a lot of down time waiting for the damn VR missions to load and reset.

So yeah, if there's anything I could ask for in a sequel, it would be faster loading/checkpointing for VR stuff!

Anth0ny

Just finished it. Fucking incredible game, easily by GOTY so far, and if anything can surpass it... serious props to that game. It won't be easy.

Seeing 8-4 Ltd. in the credits was too cool.
NANOMACHINES SON!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
So I'm a lightning god, but the Dwarf Gekko trophy is still being an asshole (I've definitely done it twice).

Is that the zap all the dudes one or the emote salute one? Theres a Dwarf Gekko way up high requiring tricky platforming for instance.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Not one sitting per-say but it has to be done in a consecutive playthrough.(first one is in stage 2, so you have to get the one there and finish the level, then play through 3 and get that one then through 4 etc)

If you don't get the first 3 in order or you get them individually through stage select the 4th one won't be where he's supposed to be.

Dave1988

There's a little easter egg if you defeat Mistral with the Wooden Blade. If you have the Wooden blade equipped during the whole fight, Mistral's Gekko hands will be cuping her breasts and neather region when she's frozen. Gonna go check if the other bosses also have this kind of easter eggs. I love this game.

Endo Punk

Can I still get the codec trophy if I fast forward through conversations?

There's a little easter egg if you defeat Mistral with the Wooden Blade. If you have the Wooden blade equipped during the whole fight, Mistral's Gekko hands will be cuping her breasts and neather region when she's frozen. Gonna go check if the other bosses also have this kind of easter eggs. I love this game.

Awesome to the max.

Kusagari

I just did the dwarf geckos in one sitting because of all the problems I've heard with the achievement.

You can run through the game in under 3 hours so it's not hard to do for it.

Storm360

Possible Vita Port?

1FXgA5Z.jpg

Sam DLC trophies are up too

Top Bottom