• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Dave1988

Dirtbags! Those are probably the same people who forced them to add the "s" to Gods Eater Burst!

The funny thing is that the changes are only visable when you're comparing trophies with someone else. Viewing the trophy list still shows the old names. I'm guessing the list will be updated once Sam's DLC hits.

RangerBAD

The funny thing is that the changes are only visable when you're comparing trophies with someone else. Viewing the trophy list still shows the old names. I'm guessing the list will be updated once Sam's DLC hits.

Yeah, probably getting a 1.3 update for it. This is really sad. I wish JP would tell us what happened. Wonder if it was pressure from Konami.

This is an awful prescedent to be set. I'm kind of baffled as to how a bunch of oversensitive religious types were bothered by the names of two punny virtual trophies simply because they implied that there's more than one god (if that's indeed why the trophies were changed).

Also I just realized that we're going community tomorrow :(

It was a fun ride, guys.

RangerBAD

This is an awful prescedent to be set. I'm kind of baffled as to how a bunch of oversensitive religious types were bothered by the names of two punny virtual trophies simply because they implied that there's more than one god (if that's indeed why the trophies were changed).

Also I just realized that we're going community tomorrow :(

It was a fun ride, guys.

It actually implies nothing. There's a game dedicated to multiple gods that comes straight from America. And it's part of the story too. This is a weird overreaction to something and I don't know what.

Deitus

This just in! Due to complaints from people who were offended by the title, the franchise "God of War" will now be changing it's title to "Angry Dude of War". This applies to all future titles, but will also retroactively apply to previously released titles.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe it's because the trophies referenced a franchise that wasn't related at all to Metal Gear or Konami.

A less likely scenario but that always struck me as odd

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Then they have to change Raiden's name too! lol Trophies are full of tropes, puns and popular references.

Raiden's name isn't a reference to the Mortal Kombat character to my knowledge. and being a god doesn't make sense for the character of Raiden thematically either.

Your second point is valid though I guess. I'd argue that the original names were very "loose" references though. (I mean "virtually a god" is really referencing the other trophy more than anything.)

but whatever. Both names suck to me.(Why did they rename it after the worst move in the game?)

RangerBAD

Raiden's name isn't a reference to the Mortal Kombat character to my knowledge. and being a god doesn't make sense for the character of Raiden thematically either.

Your second point is valid though I guess. I'd argue that the original names were very "loose" references though. (I mean "virtually a god" is really referencing the other trophy more than anything.)

but whatever. Both names suck to me.(Why did they rename it after the worst move in the game?)

Well, I don't think it's referencing anything with his name, but by this current unknown logic all references and non-references are liable! This whole situation is stupid, even the GoW trophy change was dumb since the trophy unlocked for a totally different reason.

The end is nigh for this world!

earth-exploding-o.gif

Dave1988

"Becoming a Lightning God" is a reference to Raijin (aka Raiden), the god of thunder and lightning in Japanese mythology.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
"Becoming a Lightning God" is a reference to Raijin (aka Raiden), the god of thunder and lightning in Japanese mythology.

Ah I didn't know Raijin also went by the name "Raiden-sama". I thought that was just a japanese word that meant lightning/thunder that wasn't really a name. (Like Akuma is just "demon" or "devil" or whatever, picked because Gouki didn't sound evil enough)

learn something new every day

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I knew MGR would be a pretty viable game to speedrun, glad to see someone take initiative. :)

Seems like it'd be pretty hard to optimize without restarts, since the fastest methods are often extremely dependent on enemy/AI behavior.

Although maybe that's not true for difficulties under Revengeance

why would they change the trophy? weird.

Nanomachines, son.

But seriously, I can't believe people would get so offended at the use of "God" in the trophy title that they would complain and get it changed. You'd think the violence and blood would be the first thing to garner a complaint, but noooo.

Dizzy-4U

Hey guys, I have a question. While trying to do S-Rank on Revengeance (just started), I noticed that the game autosaves when you die. Do I have to start the chapter from the beginning or it doesn't affect the score?

I was head stomped by Rex and got one shot killed. I'm guessing that after chaptter 00 I will be able to sustain one hit so I can restart.

Deitus

Hey guys, I have a question. While trying to do S-Rank on Revengeance (just started), I noticed that the game autosaves when you die. Do I have to start the chapter from the beginning or it doesn't affect the score?

I was head stomped by Rex and got one shot killed. I'm guessing that after chaptter 00 I will be able to sustain one hit so I can restart.

If you die during a ranked battle, yes it will affect the score. You will lose out on getting no damage for that battle, and the time you spent prior to that death will be added to your total after you complete the battle. And yeah, at that point you pretty much have to start the chapter over.

The good news is, after the prologue, you can equip nano-paste, so that you will automatically heal after every hit. You are still going to want to restart after getting hit, but this will prevent accidental deaths from basically everything except QTEs and falling off a cliff.

demidar

The first Metal Gear Ray fight is special, you can restart all you want as long as you can finish it in under the par time. Death restarts don't count for some reason. I'm not so sure about the second Ray fight though.

Dizzy-4U

If you die during a ranked battle, yes it will affect the score. You will lose out on getting no damage for that battle, and the time you spent prior to that death will be added to your total after you complete the battle. And yeah, at that point you pretty much have to start the chapter over.

The good news is, after the prologue, you can equip nano-paste, so that you will automatically heal after every hit. You are still going to want to restart after getting hit, but this will prevent accidental deaths from basically everything except QTEs and falling off a cliff.
Yeah, thanks. Equiping the nano-paste as soon as I get to chapter 1.

The first Metal Gear Ray fight is special, you can restart all you want as long as you can finish it in under the par time. Death restarts don't count for some reason. I'm not so sure about the second Ray fight though.
I got S-Rank on the first encounter with Ray (died once). I died also in the second one and got a D. Yup, restarting chapter already.

edit: Oh, new patch. 247mb

Fuck Monsoon on REVENGENCE difficulty trying to get no damage.

Farthest I've gone is about 40% without choking the chicken.

What are you getting hit by?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgQTDsu7SsY

This method really removes just about all the risk from the fight

That's good, though it's safer during the debris barrage to run and dodge.

• Run to the same side he's on when he's about to throw stuff, but not quite all the way against the wall opposite him.
  • Wait for the Japanese character to pop up, then press blade mode button briefly; I think this makes sure his first throw will hit where you initiated blade mode.
  • Run back toward the World Marshall building, then to your left/right before reaching the other end of the building.
  • If he's still throwing things, make a turn at the fence and run toward the front gate, but stay as far away from Monsoon as possible at all times.

I think you can turn up camera sensitivity to help with slicing the vehicles. The first two barrages are manageable, but the third/fourth are too risky to try to cut them all, though the guy in the vid did a good job.

Also, if you don't have EM grenades are are worried about not getting any from the cut debris, equip the tactical sai before he starts throwing stuff, it'll charge by the time he lands and you can stun him with it in the same way. Just switch back to the pincers once you smack his forehead.

It's faster to parry his sai attacks after the first spinning junk wheel, but you can just block those. I've had his legs occasionally hit me, even though I was blocking as fast as I could, so just run from his legs after the two sai attacks and stun his torso with EM greandes/tactical sai.

Dizzy-4U

Well, I'm an idiot. I didn't realize that I started my revengeance run on a new game. I lost all the weapons, moves, wigs, upgrades. I'm gonna have to play it on normal again to get everything back and farm in the sewers. I'm so happy!

Zen

Banned
So, according to the NPD, DmC sold under 50k copies in February. Should we expect a similar thing for Revengeance come March's NPD numbers?

It depends, MGS3 for instance actually had a sales increase in its second month, but came out initially during a packed holiday month. I wouldn't be surprised, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did better than 50k either.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It depends, MGS3 for instance actually had a sales increase in its second month, but came out initially during a packed holiday month. I wouldn't be surprised, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did better than 50k either.

A increase seems incredibly unlikely given the current trend of game sales. MGR seems to still be selling, though, if at a lower rate. It's still in the top 100 games on Amazon.com, whereas DmC dropped off pretty quickly after the first two weeks or so.

Sephzilla

I think it can do better than 50k in March (I dont think March is as packed as February is). But I don't see MGR having any kind of increase in sales, you just don't see that in this genre. Who knows though, DLC is coming out and MGR has pretty solid and positive word of mouth.

That's good, though it's safer during the debris barrage to run and dodge.

• Run to the same side he's on when he's about to throw stuff, but not quite all the way against the wall opposite him.
  • Wait for the Japanese character to pop up, then press blade mode button briefly; I think this makes sure his first throw will hit where you initiated blade mode.
  • Run back toward the World Marshall building, then to your left/right before reaching the other end of the building.
  • If he's still throwing things, make a turn at the fence and run toward the front gate, but stay as far away from Monsoon as possible at all times.

I think you can turn up camera sensitivity to help with slicing the vehicles. The first two barrages are manageable, but the third/fourth are too risky to try to cut them all, though the guy in the vid did a good job.

Also, if you don't have EM grenades are are worried about not getting any from the cut debris, equip the tactical sai before he starts throwing stuff, it'll charge by the time he lands and you can stun him with it in the same way. Just switch back to the pincers once you smack his forehead.

It's faster to parry his sai attacks after the first spinning junk wheel, but you can just block those. I've had his legs occasionally hit me, even though I was blocking as fast as I could, so just run from his legs after the two sai attacks and stun his torso with EM greandes/tactical sai.

His debris throw really isn't that bad. Just stand near the building and slash away. He always throws one or two that require a vertical slash but you can sort of predict those anyway.

When he splits in half there's plenty of time to just block the sais, then the legs and throw your sai after.

My main issue with him was the smoke bombs. Sometimes he'd do it, sometimes he wouldn't. Eventually No Damaged him on Revengeance so 's'all good.

RangerBAD

Well, I'm an idiot. I didn't realize that I started my revengeance run on a new game. I lost all the weapons, moves, wigs, upgrades. I'm gonna have to play it on normal again to get everything back and farm in the sewers. I'm so happy!

I accidentally did this too when I was finishing up the customization trophy.

Hypron

His debris throw really isn't that bad. Just stand near the building and slash away. He always throws one or two that require a vertical slash but you can sort of predict those anyway.

When he splits in half there's plenty of time to just block the sais, then the legs and throw your sai after.

You don't have to wait until you've blocked/parried everything before throwing the sai. You can do it straight after you finish blocking/parrying his first series of attacks. It's probably safer that way as well, since you don't have to deal with the legs.

My main issue with him was the smoke bombs. Sometimes he'd do it, sometimes he wouldn't. Eventually No Damaged him on Revengeance so 's'all good.

I've had where my swings would stop after slicing a vehicle, as if I'd hit a zandatsu spot. It only happened a few times, but it was enough to make me not want to risk it anymore.

There's time to block his long-distance sai and leg attacks, but I've had the legs somehow hit me on their third kick, even though I was blocking as fast as possible. Again, you can perfect parry the sai then block all the kicks, but after trying over and over to work out a strategy, it's not uncommon to want to minimize risk as much as possible.

If you lower his health to 70 percent after the fight starts, he will skip the smoke bomb phase. He will throw smoke if you don't parry his jumping spin kick (even if you block/dodge it). He'll continue the "throw stuff, land, attack" cycle until you get him to 40 percent. Then he'll throw the junk-wheel, followed by the long-arm/leg attacks.

If you're playing on Revengeance and you manage to hit him with a parry at the start, it'll drop him to 70 percent immediately. If you can get him close to the left side of the arena, he'll do that leaping-dive attack almost always, which can be parried and, if he hits the edge of the arena while leaping back, he can be hit with the counter attack.

I also found that he'll regularly do that leaping-dive if you engage blade mode. about 8 times out of 10, he'll do it, though he'll run around you for a bit. If you lock on, engage blade mode, exit blade mode as he's running and start it again, you can keep track of him until he does it.

You don't have to wait until you've blocked/parried everything before throwing the sai. You can do it straight after you finish blocking/parrying his first series of attacks. It's probably safer that way as well, since you don't have to deal with the legs.

Even if he's stunned, he'll keep doing those long-distance attacks. If you time it right, you can stun him, then block/parry those, but it's risky. I recommend, parrying/blocking the sai then running from the legs, then hitting him with the charged sai. I've always been able to outrun the legs, but sometimes the sai would hit me.

C0unter

Yep,thats what I did.Block the first sai attack,run forward charged said to stun him.

Dear fuck the
Armstrong
fight fucking sucks >:[ . I actually wanted to replay this game on a harder difficulty but I cant even beat this on normal :/

Top Bottom