• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Raxus

Dear fuck the
Armstrong
fight fucking sucks >:[ . I actually wanted to replay this game on a harder difficulty but I cant even beat this on normal :/

Give it time. Truth be told he isn't even the hardest fight on the harder difficulties once you have the wigs. Is there something in particular you need help with? Why are you having such a hard time?

I just started a new game by accident. All my Upgrades (full upgraded Foxblade, Murasama, Sais, all skills and wigs) lost in the digital nirvana. I wanna cry. :(

Nibel

Dear fuck the
Armstrong
fight fucking sucks >:[ . I actually wanted to replay this game on a harder difficulty but I cant even beat this on normal :/

You shut your whore mouth! BEST FIGHT EVER

Seriously though: until that fight you must have acquired a certain skill in the game; he's pretty easy on normal I think. What's the big issue for you? I think there are enough gods of lightning to help you

kaioshade

I died on the final boss twice. Third time it clicked and i beat the shit out of it.

Final boss hits like a damn bulldozer and can overwhelm you quickly, i found ninja running around and slashing before i could be countered was pretty effective.

Give it time. Truth be told he isn't even the hardest fight on the harder difficulties once you have the wigs. Is there something in particular you need help with? Why are you having such a hard time?

Well I guess I have some issue blocking continuous attacks. I can block the first two hits but then the third just gets me. Then I'm dazed so I just keep getting hit for a while. Also he does that ground fire attack that follows you and I cant get away from it

Dave1988

This is the pose Mistral does when you defeat her with the Wooden Sword.

1363705605514qku61.jpg

Picture taken from /cgg/.

deim0s

Well I guess I have some issue blocking continuous attacks. I can block the first two hits but then the third just gets me. Then I'm dazed so I just keep getting hit for a while. Also he does that ground fire attack that follows you and I cant get away from it

Then don't block on the third time. Use dodge (Square + X or it's xbox equiv) to jump back quickly. Better to use the dodge move more than the parry/block when fighting him.

With the fire attacks... just ninja run around him while he starts his charge animation.

I really hope they don't change the achievement names for Xbox. I really like the Lightning God one and it's seemed so fitting after completing the S ranks.

Roubjon

So I managed to S rank all of the battles during the first chapter on Revengence difficulty but I still got an A at the end. I think I had like 19000 points as a total score or something, but could someone tell me what I did wrong. Something to mention is that I skipped two fights, which was shown on the final chapter results screen by the empty squares. Is this why I didn't get the S rank? I guess they don't want you to use any stealth.

Oh well, at least it gives me an excuse to play through the chapter again. Goddamn the game is fun.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
So I managed to S rank all of the battles during the first chapter on Revengence difficulty but I still got an A at the end. I think I had like 19000 points as a total score or something, but could someone tell me what I did wrong. Something to mention is that I skipped two fights, which was shown on the final chapter results screen by the empty squares. Is this why I didn't get the S rank? I guess they don't want you to use any stealth.

Oh well, at least it gives me an excuse to play through the chapter again. Goddamn the game is fun.

Yes. Like Bayonetta skipped verses prevent you from getting the full S/Pure Platinum

Now I'm having trouble facign the grad in the lobby after the next fight :\

any tips?

Have like 2-3 health packs equipped and hope it gets stuck on something so you can hit it with the turret easier

I always start at least by throwing an EMP where it spawns.

You can also use RP grenades to stop it from firing on you for a bit.

Roubjon

Another question: Do I have to S rank all of the stages in order for the game to register I S ranked Revengeance mode or can I just play them out of order?

Nori Chan

So basically I have to keep shooting the shit out of the turret? I've gotten to the point where I can keep both turrets alive but the rockets just bombard me. I guess I'm going for every other bonus besides fucking no damage since that seems impossible for me

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Another question: Do I have to S rank all of the stages in order for the game to register I S ranked Revengeance mode or can I just play them out of order?

out of order is fine

So basically I have to keep shooting the shit out of the turret? I've gotten to the point where I can keep both turrets alive but the rockets just bombard me. I guess I'm going for every other bonus besides fucking no damage since that seems impossible for me

This is why infinite subweapon wig is so valuable I think

Use RP nades on the rocket launcher soldiers to take them out more safely.

Yes but the requirements are really easy and you only need 4500 points for the S rank anyways

just make sure to get 2 zandatsus on the guys that come up the platform earlier and the rest should just come as a natural result of completing the stage

Anyone who can get the No Damage bonus to show up on chapters 3 and 4 must have the patience of a god because of this section and the one where you get the shit beat out of you before Monsoon in 3. Both are possible but the methods of doing so are extremely tedious

don't skip fights, S rank everything.

Roubjon

DAMMIT! I just S ranked the first chapter again and still got an A. I could have sworn I did every single fight but apparently I missed the fifth one. Ugh, I really didn't want to have to use walkthroughs, but I guess I have to. Maybe chopping of that one guards arm in order to get into that gate skips a battle? Rofl, TIME TO DO IT AGAIN!!!

RangerBAD

DAMMIT! I just S ranked the first chapter again and still got an A. I could have sworn I did every single fight but apparently I missed the fifth one. Ugh, I really didn't want to have to use walkthroughs, but I guess I have to. Maybe chopping of that one guards arm in order to get into that gate skips a battle? Rofl, TIME TO DO IT AGAIN!!!

Make sure you get an alert where the Gekko is right before the refinery area. There's a cyborg and a Gekko.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

nope

after that you have to go back to the place you fought the helicopter at for a hidden fight.(that's ranked battle 5)

My advice is use a guide though. At the very least a spoiler free one that just tells you the locations/ triggers because some are pretty tricky.(3 has one that doesn't even trigger if you stealth kill enemies that are apart of it)

This isn't a bad problem to have the first two chapters since those are pretty fun to S rank, but you'll probably start hating the game real quick if you end up having to redo 3 and 4 multiple times because you missed something.

Deitus

Yeah, just use a walkthrough at this point. You aren't on the first playthrough anymore, so there are no spoilers, and it's not really cheating or anything. Most of the missable fights involve backtracking at very specific points (which are often not in any way hinted), or not using stealth at certain points. If you are going for the S Rank, there is really no shame in knowing where the fights are. And besides that, it's helpful to know which fights are not ranked, so you don't spend 20 minutes restarting a fight repeatedly only to find out it didn't even count.

Also, I think I know the fight you are missing. Right when you get to the point when you need to get the guard's arm to open that gate, before you open the gate backtrack to where you fought the helicopters. There will be another fight there. If my count (and my memory) is correct, that should be the fifth fight.

Edit: Beaten

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry if I spoiled that for you. Just realized you didn't specifically ask for help and it looks like you were on the right track to figuring it out yourself.

but I still stand by my advice for future chapters.

Dave1988

Hero of the Metaverse GET!

53Lc18af2.png

*Phew* Finally! Now I can get back and S rank Hard and the lower difficulties.

DL VR mission 27 proved to be a major pain in the ass but as per usual the Pincers saved my ass there. One the other hand, DL VR mission 30 was quite fun. The Pincers got me through the last wave with a little effort.

Did I mention that I love the Pincers? Because I fucking love the Pincers!

Endo Punk

If there's a best character model award it should go to Rising. Every character just looks so damn cool, except the last boss but he makes up for it in personality.

Raxus

Any tips for the final boss?

Defensive Offensive is your most critical tool. A ton of his attacks have small hit windows so a good D/O player can keep up a relentless offense on him and get him down quickly. Once you get him down to 150% you have completed most of the fight since the rest is mostly 'events' with maybe a bit of offense here and there if you keep up a strong offense.

Personally, playing without music (which kind of stinks) helped me get the timing for the invincibility frames of the D/O and it helps since, quite frankly, he has several attacks that are unblockable and the only chance you have is the to run or D/O. The grab is probably the most annoying unblockable since it comes out really fast and a second too early/slow means he has you. Best option is to do a directionless D/O to get some space.

Once he is 150% he will start tossing debris at you. Your best option is to slash but if it is too difficult run towards him to dodge it. I highly suggest you learn to cut the stuff since it does damage to him and earns you BP for the S rank. My advice. Use both thumb stick and make your right hand a hook. Use your thumb to angle a slash and your index to hit the X/Square to slash. If you line up all four boxes it will be easy since you have tons of time to do this (on revengence anyway).

Once he is down to 100-120% he begins to heal. Get behind him, blade mode and stop it. If you have Wig B you can go to town on him and get HUNDREDS of slashes on the guy essentially pushing him to his end phase if done correctly. If not you can push him to his 60% heal rather fast since he does another toss shortly there after. If you don't have Wig B then you can still do tons of damage doing a strong offense to push him into a throw/another heal. Finish him, you are a GOD! Take note a 100 slash/BP pickups must be done as at least ONE of these is necessary for an S. NO damage only, like Sam, will not give you an S. Because, as I quickly learned, this game f***ing hates you.

As far as his other 'fights'. The fist fight is easy peasy. Just dull. It is timed. Don't fight. Run like a pansy and after 2 minutes-ish He will flash gold and a cutscene will play.

Excelsius is another story. Again an easy boss with powered up pincers since pincers are hax on bosses. The only challenge is his slashes are 'unblockable' if you are going for no damage (and you are) then you must D/O the slashes which is easier than it sounds. After that you pincer his feet/zandatsu. This will stun him. Jack the Ripper/jump/ and do the twirl pincer move since this will damage him heavily, make sure to D/O or Blade Mode cancel to do even more damage. Next comes Gekkos. It sounds hard but really it is easy since he kills them for you. Run ALL the way back and dodge the lasers. The lasers will finish the Gekkos leaving them open to Zandetsus. There are 6-8 Gekkos in all and if you want an S then you must Zandetsu at least one of them. After that finish the last leg with pincers and you are done!

Sorry the strategy is ass backwards but I figure most people have trouble with the last fight and not the previous two fights so I figured to write the much meatier strategy first. Hope it helps!

TL;DR The best defense is a strong offense.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Keep getting
Armstrong
down to 100% health and can counter the stupid fist attack, but then I eat an attack after throwing them into a pile. EVERY. TIME. RAGE.

And this is after 20 attempts to reach that each time. If I could get them to stop attack/hitting me and let me kill them it'd be easy.

(And the QTE isn't a perfect parry on very hard so it doesn't do as insane damage here as Rev.)

Roubjon

Awesome, I managed to S rank Chapters 0 - 2. I think I have to call it quits for the day as I just did all of that in one shot.

DL-VR mission 12 is annoying as fuck. I'm willing to work out a strategy for for ninja-kill/zandatsu levels, but this, with all the mines in a friggin' maze it just too much. 27 took me probably 12 tries, but this is too much.

Defensive Offensive is your most critical tool. A ton of his attacks have small hit windows so a good D/O player can keep up a relentless offense on him and get him down quickly. Once you get him down to 150% you have completed most of the fight since the rest is mostly 'events' with maybe a bit of offense here and there if you keep up a strong offense.

Personally, playing without music (which kind of stinks) helped me get the timing for the invincibility frames of the D/O and it helps since, quite frankly, he has several attacks that are unblockable and the only chance you have is the to run or D/O. The grab is probably the most annoying unblockable since it comes out really fast and a second too early/slow means he has you. Best option is to do a directionless D/O to get some space.

Once he is 150% he will start tossing debris at you. Your best option is to slash but if it is too difficult run towards him to dodge it. I highly suggest you learn to cut the stuff since it does damage to him and earns you BP for the S rank. My advice. Use both thumb stick and make your right hand a hook. Use your thumb to angle a slash and your index to hit the X/Square to slash. If you line up all four boxes it will be easy since you have tons of time to do this (on revengence anyway).

Once he is down to 100-120% he begins to heal. Get behind him, blade mode and stop it. If you have Wig B you can go to town on him and get HUNDREDS of slashes on the guy essentially pushing him to his end phase if done correctly. If not you can push him to his 60% heal rather fast since he does another toss shortly there after. If you don't have Wig B then you can still do tons of damage doing a strong offense to push him into a throw/another heal. Finish him, you are a GOD! Take note a 100 slash/BP pickups must be done as at least ONE of these is necessary for an S. NO damage only, like Sam, will not give you an S. Because, as I quickly learned, this game f***ing hates you.

As far as his other 'fights'. The fist fight is easy peasy. Just dull. It is timed. Don't fight. Run like a pansy and after 2 minutes-ish He will flash gold and a cutscene will play.

Excelsius is another story. Again an easy boss with powered up pincers since pincers are hax on bosses. The only challenge is his slashes are 'unblockable' if you are going for no damage (and you are) then you must D/O the slashes which is easier than it sounds. After that you pincer his feet/zandatsu. This will stun him. Jack the Ripper/jump/ and do the twirl pincer move since this will damage him heavily, make sure to D/O or Blade Mode cancel to do even more damage. Next comes Gekkos. It sounds hard but really it is easy since he kills them for you. Run ALL the way back and dodge the lasers. The lasers will finish the Gekkos leaving them open to Zandetsus. There are 6-8 Gekkos in all and if you want an S then you must Zandetsu at least one of them. After that finish the last leg with pincers and you are done!

Sorry the strategy is ass backwards but I figure most people have trouble with the last fight and not the previous two fights so I figured to write the much meatier strategy first. Hope it helps!

TL;DR The best defense is a strong offense.
Gotcha, assuming offensive defense means slash and when he attacks either dodge or parry if possible. But main issue is when he starts to toss debris at me, terrible at blade mode :/ I manage to get pass the first two slices (most of the time) but the third cut, I normally mess up and loss atleast an 100 HP.

TheSeks

D/O is actually O/D: Offensive Dodge.

And for the blade mode: Use the wigs. Otherwise run under him. It's not worth fiddling with the blade mode for the extra damage if you don't have the time to line it up, otherwise.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
D/O is actually O/D: Offensive Dodge.
You sure about that? :p

It's a dumb name for a move anyway. It sounds too generic, and it's easy to mix up.

TheSeks

I'm pretty sure that's what it's called in the "store"/customization menu.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Unfortunately, it is "Defensive Offense."

If it really were named something like "Offensive Dodge," I think it'd lead to waaay less confusion.

The first ten (10) people that quote this post will be PMed a PlayStation 3 DLC code for Raiden's White Armor.
FVqSqEc.jpg

White Armor holds double the amount of recovery items, making ideal for someone who sucks at this game.

Top Bottom