• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Dave: It's Donte must Cry.

Like Devil May Cry's "Dante Must Die" mode, see? Play on words.

Arozay

uZk816l.png

UFRA

Excellent choice!

I listen to both the Vocal and Orchestral CD's on a regular basis.

I just wish we had an "extended" version of the vocal tracks.

Yeah, I saw most of the tracks are around the 2min-ish mark. Oh well, just to have the actual songs to listen to without having cyborgs jumping me will be nice. lol

The one I ordered from Amazon was the vocal CD. Not sure if it includes all of the instrumental versions of all the songs too. We'll see. Can't wait to listen to this in my car.

chrono01

Yeah, I saw most of the tracks are around the 2min-ish mark. Oh well, just to have the actual songs to listen to without having cyborgs jumping me will be nice. lol

The one I ordered from Amazon was the vocal CD. Not sure if it includes all of the instrumental versions of all the songs too. We'll see. Can't wait to listen to this in my car.
It does indeed have the Orchestral versions of the Boss Theme's, as well as those from battle.

It doesn't, however, contain the music from the actual game [such as the Title Screen and VR Missions]. For that, you need the CD that came with the Limited Edition. Thankfully, I had that very edition pre-ordered, so I was covered.

I'm not sure if they'll eventually release that version as a stand-alone purchase. They really should, as both CD's are definitely worth owning.

It's absolutely addictive, though. They may be a bit on the short-side, but are so very sweet.

UFRA

It does indeed have the Orchestral versions of the Boss Theme's, as well as those from battle.

It doesn't, however, contain the music from the actual game [such as the Title Screen and VR Missions]. For that, you need the CD that came with the Limited Edition. Thankfully, I had that very edition pre-ordered, so I was covered.

I'm not sure if they'll eventually release that version as a stand-alone purchase. They really should, as both CD's are definitely worth owning.

It's absolutely addictive, though. They may be a bit on the short-side, but are so very sweet.

Dang! I wish it did have the actual game music too. The title screen is practically my favorite music in the game. My common routine is to start up the game, and let the title screen music cycle through 2 times before I proceed with playing haha.

Robot Pants

You know I just now saw the hidden title list for this game.
That's something they really shouldn't hide. They should make it visible so people can do those runs. Almost like Challenges. And they should have some rewards tied to them.
This was the exact kind if thing I was looking for after I Platinumd the game, special runs.
Now I have a reason to go back maybe.

ezekial45

Banned
If they make MGR2, then they have to rework or remove the parry. After playing through Revengence mode and the harder VR missions, it's apparent that the parry undermines the core combat with its effectiveness. With the way certain sequences are designed, it's encouraging turtleling behavior, and not mention the urge to mash the restart menu option when enemies don't use the specific moves you want them to. It just ends up feeling more like luck than skill. Which is painfully obvious during the upper difficulties.

Also, why isn't this thread in the community forum by now?

EDIT: Oh yeah, what was that Version.3 240mb patch for?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, I turned on the game the other day, and before I knew it, I was being praised by the dulcet tones of the Spirit of Snake Wooden Sword...

Does anyone know what happened? I thought it was going to be paid DLC or something. Very pleasant surprise, but still... what?

RedAssedApe

Banned
this game is so fun...even for someone whose not good at these type of fast paced games. Feel like I'm playing Third Strike with all the parrying. :D

Guys, I turned on the game the other day, and before I knew it, I was being praised by the dulcet tones of the Spirit of Snake Wooden Sword...

Does anyone know what happened? I thought it was going to be paid DLC or something. Very pleasant surprise, but still... what?

You got me, I turned on the game just to check.

Jintor

I love how the music for boss battles is on an instrumental loop, and then the lyrics kick in when something awesome happens <3

It also force overrides it a little for the dramatic finish. I've listened to mistral's enough to realise when it suddenly overlays the finale, and I'm pretty sure it's the same for everything else too.

Deitus

If they make MGR2, then they have to rework or remove the parry. After playing through Revengence mode and the harder VR missions, it's apparent that the parry undermines the core combat with its effectiveness. With the way certain sequences are designed, it's encouraging turtleling behavior, and not mention the urge to mash the restart menu option when enemies don't use the specific moves you want them to. It just ends up feeling more like luck than skill. Which is painfully obvious during the upper difficulties.

I don't see why they would need to remove parry. They just need to balance the Revengence difficulty such that Parry doesn't do 100x more damage than anything else you can do in the game so that all of that playthrough doesn't revolve around parrying every enemy to death. Obviously this would also involve not making every enemy a damage sponge.

Jintor

One thing I think is that maybe the 'block' window lasts a little too long. Nearly a full second or so. Should maybe be shortened on hard or something.

God these boss battles though, so fucking fun. An entire game of 1v1 boss fights in an actually good combat system (sorry NMH). So fucking awesome.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
You got me, I turned on the game just to check.
Sorry! Haha, I didn't mean to "get" anyone - should probably clarify I have the JP version. I wonder if it was an exclusive region thing like getting the extra VR missions for free (saw it was paid DLC on the EU store).

Edit: Lame top post. Er... Force of nature? Nanomachines. My memes end here, and so on.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
One thing I think is that maybe the 'block' window lasts a little too long. Nearly a full second or so. Should maybe be shortened on hard or something.

God these boss battles though, so fucking fun. An entire game of 1v1 boss fights in an actually good combat system (sorry NMH). So fucking awesome.

Well, the parry window itself shortens with the higher difficulties. It's presumably a little too generous on Normal, but on Hard for the first time it felt okay.

Honestly, the parry system is integral to the combat. You don't really need to turtle because you can cancel almost anything into a parry or offensive defense. I think they need to rework the camera, definitely, and I think that changing the parry damage on Revengeance should both be priorities, though.

Personally, I think that the game should be patched so that Sundowner's second phase can't be skipped any more. It's a shame that you can beat that boss without any lyrics kicking in. :(

Jintor

The camera fritzing out during Gorilla attacks is a huge pain, particularly when it comes to
  • Leaping moves where it's very difficult to tell which direction the downward strike should be blocked from
  • Attacks by multiple enemies at once, each with different pauses between the tell and the actual hit
  • The camera freaking out mid combo and turning what would have been a successful parry into a stumble

Not to mention off-screen no sound-indicator attacks and the like. Instant rocket-launchers, i'm looking at you. Can you parry those?

RangerBAD

#Stormbringer

:( Congratulations nonetheless.

The camera fritzing out during Gorilla attacks is a huge pain, particularly when it comes to
  • Leaping moves where it's very difficult to tell which direction the downward strike should be blocked from
  • Attacks by multiple enemies at once, each with different pauses between the tell and the actual hit
  • The camera freaking out mid combo and turning what would have been a successful parry into a stumble

Not to mention off-screen no sound-indicator attacks and the like. Instant rocket-launchers, i'm looking at you. Can you parry those?

You can cut RPGs in blade mode, but that's it.

Sephzilla

Also, why isn't this thread in the community forum by now?

EDIT: Oh yeah, what was that Version.3 240mb patch for?

The parry is a big part of the core combat though. Removing that would alter how the game is played and designed significantly.

This thread's too awesome to put in community.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The parry is a big part of the core combat though. Removing that would alter how the game is played and designed significantly.

Then they need to fix the camera or make parry based on CAMERA position, not RAIDEN's position.

Sephzilla

Then they need to fix the camera or make parry based on CAMERA position, not RAIDEN's position.

I have to be quite honest, I've never noticed a difference. My instinctive reaction is just to parry towards whatever direction the enemy is at, and that's always worked for me.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Another thing I don't like about parry is how useless it is on some enemies lol

Like vs Gekko or even certain bosses like Monsoon, they always jump back away from your perfect parry. So unless you bait a move at the right positioning, your only reward for better timing your move is having to close the gap again.

Which only really adds to the passiveness you talk of. Not only do you want the right move at the right time but you also want it in the right spot. (Luckily this is reliably obtained in certain encounters. but it's still meeeeeeeeeh from a design perspective)

It's weird how a design decision to "block attacks with attacks" ended up resulting in such a passive game.

I don't see why they would need to remove parry. They just need to balance the Revengence difficulty such that Parry doesn't do 100x more damage than anything else you can do in the game so that all of that playthrough doesn't revolve around parrying every enemy to death. Obviously this would also involve not making every enemy a damage sponge.

I just don't like it at all. I don't like that it's two inputs. I don't like that every move is a double tap in the game even in lock on seemingly because a single tap and attack input is reserved for parry. I don't like that it's dependent on the perspective of an unruly camera. I don't like how slow and stationary it is.(your basic two options in the RPS-like game of defense in Rising are parry(beats melee) and Ninja Run(beats projectiles) but I don't think the two transition well into each other at all) I don't like that it's not really an active block making it a nightmare when two attacks come at you simultaneously.

Just not a fan.

If they can make it into something better go for it, but in its current form I think parry is a bad mechanic and I don't really want to play another game designed around it. or at least another Rising designed around it.

Top Bottom