• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Sephzilla

If the parry was a one button input it would pretty much be easy mode.

The main things I would change up for Rising 2.

--Better camera, obviously
--Turn the offensive/defensive input into Direction + O [PS3] instead of Square+X+Direction. O is barely used outside of Zandatsu.
--Tighten up the parry windows a little bit, but other than that leave it alone.
--Real time weapon swapping
--Turn up the difficulty a little bit on normal and hard mode

I have to be quite honest, I've never noticed a difference. My instinctive reaction is just to parry towards whatever direction the enemy is at, and that's always worked for me.

The problem is when the camera swings and where the enemy was relative to your directional input is not always the same when it does.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Go play Easy Mode. They give you an option to eliminate directional parrys and its only hitting one button. It's stupid.

Only because it's tied to attacks still. Both attacks.

So any time an enemy starts an attack it overrides your offense.

and also it auto-counter parries as well. Obviously it wouldn't be this automatic at higher difficulties. It'd still retain the timing elements without the frustrating directionals. (Imagine being able to reliably perfect parry a mastiff jumping off a wall on reaction to timing/hearing alone. I'm sure everyone knows the timing, what fucks people up is that they have no way of knowing what fucking direction they're coming from. Especially since they can JUMP. THROUGH. WALLS.)

If it was just a shoulder button not tied to any other function it'd be fine

Sephzilla

Only because it's tied to attacks still. Both attacks.

So any time an enemy starts an attack it overrides your offense.

If it was just a shoulder button not tied to any other function it'd be fine

I'd rather it be the way it is. The way it is now, the inputs for parry are set to inputs my thumbs are already resting on [or using] and that just seems more efficient to me, because there's minimal finger movement to parry and i can keep my index finger resting on my Blade Mode button in the event that I have to do a blade mode cancel.

I actually think MGR's input setup is pretty efficient and decently set up as is, changing it up would potentially break the flow of the game a little. I wouldn't mind them throwing in alternate schemes though so long as they keep the normal scheme in tact.

Fabrik

Banned
If the parry was a one button input it would pretty much be easy mode.

The main things I would change up for Rising 2.

--Better camera, obviously
--Turn the offensive/defensive input into Direction + O [PS3] instead of Square+X+Direction. O is barely used outside of Zandatsu.
--Tighten up the parry windows a little bit, but other than that leave it alone.
--Real time weapon swapping
--Turn up the difficulty a little bit on normal and hard mode

OMG so much this! The combat would have been way less button-mashy!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'd trade that gladly for being able to reliably deal with offscreen shit

Sephzilla

The Mastiffs just need to be toned down a bit and they need to be updated so they cant fucking fly through walls at you. Other than that, Mastiffs are more of a camera issue than a parry issue.

Korigama

Another thing I don't like about parry is how useless it is on some enemies lol

Like vs Gekko or even certain bosses like Monsoon, they always jump back away from your perfect parry. So unless you bait a move at the right positioning, your only reward for better timing your move is having to close the gap again.
Mid-air perfect parries are much more practical against Gekko for that reason (that is to say, jumping when one is about to kick, then countering with a perfect parry while still airborne, as opposed to countering one of their jump stomps).

ezekial45

Banned
Let me rephrase; the parry needs to be redesigned because it's current function and capabilities end up stiffling the core combat.

Like vs Gekko or even certain bosses like Monsoon, they always jump back away from your perfect parry. So unless you bait a move at the right positioning, your only reward for better timing your move is having to close the gap again.

Which only really adds to the passiveness you talk of. Not only do you want the right move at the right time but you also want it in the right spot. (Luckily this is reliably obtained in certain encounters. but it's still meeeeeeeeeh from a design perspective)

It's weird how a design decision to "block attacks with attacks" ended up resulting in such a passive game.

I just don't like it at all. I don't like that it's two inputs. I don't like that every move is a double tap in the game even in lock on seemingly because a single tap and attack input is reserved for parry. I don't like that it's dependent on the perspective of an unruly camera. I don't like how slow and stationary it is.(your basic two options in the RPS-like game of defense in Rising are parry(beats melee) and Ninja Run(beats projectiles) but I don't think the two transition well into each other at all) I don't like that it's not really an active block making it a nightmare when two attacks come at you simultaneously.

Just not a fan.

If they can make it into something better go for it, but in its current form I think parry is a bad mechanic and I don't really want to play another game designed around it. or at least another Rising designed around it.
Exactly. I do think a party button sounds much better too. what's more, the stick + square parry comes into conflict with the Raiden's attack flow. A lot of times I ended up dashing towards the enemy to attack when I just meant to parry. In my opinion, placing offensive and defensive moves on the same button was a mistake.

Sephzilla

Meh, difference of opinion I guess.

I thought having a lot of stuff mapped to Square actually helped the flow of combat. For action games I like to keep the amount of movement I have to do with jumping from button to button at a minimum. Part of the reason I didn't like DmC's combat that much was because it felt like I was jumping all over my controller to do things that could have been mapped out more efficiently. For me, MGR's layout made sense.

The only time I ran into trouble with attack/parry/dodge all using square was when I was simply trying to do things too fast. Which was my sign that I needed to slow down a little bit.

Dizzy-4U

Finally got all my upgrades back after accidentally starting a new game instead of chapter select. Time to continue my quest to become a Thunder God.

I enjoyed how fundamental they made parrying in the game as it was something new to the genre (which is refreshing), but tying it to the camera ruined it for me when getting into the more higher level stuff. Even outside of the obvious Mastiff craziness, it had to be compensated for constantly when I was playing (especially when 1st-ranking all the damn VR missions).

Great idea undermined by taking an already problematic feature of most action games and essentially making it worse.

moving parry to a different button would be a godsend. The game always things i want to attack when i want to parry. I dont mind the dual button dodge.

mattp

moving parry to a different button would be a godsend. The game always things i want to attack when i want to parry. I dont mind the dual button dodge.

if its attacking when you want to parry then you're parrying REALLY early

i don't understand how so many people have this issue

Meh, difference of opinion I guess.

I thought having a lot of stuff mapped to Square actually helped the flow of combat. For action games I like to keep the amount of movement I have to do with jumping from button to button at a minimum. Part of the reason I didn't like DmC's combat that much was because it felt like I was jumping all over my controller to do things that could have been mapped out more efficiently. For me, MGR's layout made sense.

The only time I ran into trouble with attack/parry/dodge all using square was when I was simply trying to do things too fast. Which was my sign that I needed to slow down a little bit.

i have to agree. it's nice to have controls in compact form. better camera and less annoying VR is all i'm asking for.

I enjoyed how fundamental they made parrying in the game as it was something new to the genre (which is refreshing), but tying it to the camera ruined it for me when getting into the more higher level stuff. Even outside of the obvious Mastiff craziness, it had to be compensated for constantly when I was playing (especially when 1st-ranking all the damn VR missions).

Great idea undermined by taking an already problematic feature of most action games and essentially making it worse.

The camera problems are very solvable though. Not saying it will be easy, but it's definitely fixable. Simply pulling the camera back a bit, removing ALL auto-correct, and allowing it to pass through geometry will solve 99.9% of camera issues. Other than that, it's making sure that every attack coming from off screen (like RPGs + Gekko and Mastiff leg drops) have a clear signal allowing the player to parry in time.

IDK, it seems like devs in the action genre overcompensate for camera issues by puling it close, using auto-correct when running, and providing a lock on button, but only end up making it worse. A true free camera system that stays where you put it and keeps a constant distance from the player character no matter the environment seems like a much better solution.

And they should definitely NOT change, remove, or lessen the dependence on parrying for a Rising sequel. That along with blade mode are what define this game. Putting dodge on one button is fine, along with real time weapon switching, but leave the parry as is. The camera is all that holds it back.

SkylineRKR

I prefer the Bayonetta parry which was just pressing forward as in SF3, but with a larger window than that game (and shorter than Rising).

That plus placing the camera further away and put an evasive move under one button would be an excellent improvement.

A shorter parry window offset by an easier input and easier evasive move would be a fair trade imo.

But the camera is certainly the biggest issue I have with this game. They had Bayonetta as a blueprint, that one has a superior camera.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I just don't like it at all. I don't like that it's two inputs. I don't like that every move is a double tap in the game even in lock on seemingly because a single tap and attack input is reserved for parry. I don't like that it's dependent on the perspective of an unruly camera. I don't like how slow and stationary it is.(your basic two options in the RPS-like game of defense in Rising are parry(beats melee) and Ninja Run(beats projectiles) but I don't think the two transition well into each other at all) I don't like that it's not really an active block making it a nightmare when two attacks come at you simultaneously.

Just not a fan.

If they can make it into something better go for it, but in its current form I think parry is a bad mechanic and I don't really want to play another game designed around it. or at least another Rising designed around it.

I love the parry for all the reasons you mentioned except for the double taps. I'm certain there are ways around that.

I can't explain it, but towards+X to block feels good to me in this game . It feels natural.

I love the parry for all the reasons you mentioned except for the double taps. I'm certain there are ways around that.

That and the camera are the only aspects of the controls I inherently don't like. And non-real-time sub-weapon switching.

Bayonetta had something similar with that backflip kick move. It was tied to lock-on I believe. so you'd always be pulling back on the stick to perform it.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
if its attacking when you want to parry then you're parrying REALLY early

i don't understand how so many people have this issue

Not at all. Sometimes you're parrying outside of the range that Raiden will activate parry.

Something made really apparent to me in VR19 while leading the Custom Cyborgs away from the Heavy ones.

I'm doing it after the flash of orange because I'm going for a perfect parry, but Raiden is rolling into the attack instead of parrying because I guess I'm outside the range the game decided I need to be at from the attack to trigger parry.

So basically I know the attack is coming and I'm taking the appropriate reaction, but I get hit because I'm not at the correct(arbitrary) range at which the game would consider it a valid action.

and that's probably the biggest flaw of the mechanic to me. It's a defensive option only available in certain situations that the developer deems fit.(on top of it overlapping on an attack option and on top of it being so dependent on relative enemy positioning and perspective) As opposed to Ninja Gaiden and even Bayonetta's block and dodge rolls that can be used entirely at the player's discretion to not only anticipate attacks, but to be applied to situations outside of what the developer decides is the correct way to use the maneuver.

And they should definitely NOT change, remove, or lessen the dependence on parrying for a Rising sequel. That along with blade mode are what define this game. Putting dodge on one button is fine, along with real time weapon switching, but leave the parry as is. The camera is all that holds it back.

I disagree completely. What defines Rising is Blade Mode and Zandatsu,(the only two announced surviving concepts from the original Rising project it seems) and those are fine for the most part.

I think parry, ninja run and offensive defense are all supplementary ideas that need to be reworked to make a more cohesive combat system, because at the moment I don't think they work well together at all.(parry and ninja run are like the antithesis of each other in that parrying requires a direction from neutral stick position to work and moving in ninja run tends to make directionals difficult as enemies flip around you as their attack animations hone in on your position.)

Parry and Offensive Defense work well enough together I guess. I love being able to buffer a parry into a dodge. but I feel the amount of inputs is unnecessary.( offensive defense requires two buttons and a directional and then the parry requires another directional relative to your new position after the dodge.)

I don't want to make suggestions about how to "fix" the game as I'm not a designer and I understand that giving feedback is a couple worlds below designing a combat system from scratch and designing enemies encounters to take advantage of it in just a few months

but simply from my perspective as a player, I'd greatly prefer if:

• Parry worked as is mapped to circle with no directional input required
  • Offensive Defense also mapped to circle with directional inputs
  • Ninja Run having a stationary modifier when pressed allowing players to defend against bullets more quickly

I think this layout would preserve what's interesting about the mechanics in their current form(can still buffer parry into an offensive defense maneuver) while also making their application alot less frustrating(painstaking) to the game in its current form. (Could now react more consistently to offscreen attacks and weird tracking "cross-ups" from the camera/ninja run, and would allow players to more consistently defend against being tagged by bullets by allowing them to Blade Mode cancel their offense and immediately go into a bullet deflect maneuver.)

but again. I'm no designer. This is just my perspective as a player. I have no doubt in my mind that if given the chance for a sequel Platinum would do more than just alter the controls to make a better game than just the current Rising + usability changes.

I just definitely disagree with the idea that everything should be left as is and just "fixing the camera" would solve all the problem's that I have with the game at least.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That's already how it is.

I think you mean the opposite.

No, I mean exactly what I say.

Monsoon is behind you and you want to dodge/parry but Raiden is facing toward the camera? TOO BAD MOTHERFUCKER. *eat an attack*

Sephzilla

No, I mean exactly what I say.

Monsoon is behind you and you want to dodge/parry but Raiden is facing toward the camera? TOO BAD MOTHERFUCKER. *eat an attack*

...Um... Just parry towards the direction of Monsoon. It's completely independent of what direction Raiden is facing.

izakq

I've just played through on Normal for the first time and am towards the end. I'm still having a bit of inconsistency when it comes to executing a counter-attack parry. There are times when I can execute it, and other times that I just get sliced up, as I'm not sure about the timing of the parry.

1. Once I see the red or orange light flash, is that when I should do the forward-L-stick and square motion, or do I need to wait a little bit longer?

2. Also, say an enemy has a four-hit combo coming up, what's the correct way to parry this combo?

For this example, let's say that the enemy is on Raiden's left. Do I:

a. Hold the L-stick to the left, then square, square, square, square.

or

b. Tap the L-stick and square button, let go of the L-stick so that it is back to it's nuetral position, then repeat three more times.

(If it's b., does this mean that for all parrys, the L-stick should be in neutral position before execution?)

3. Does the way you hit the square button determine a successful parry or not, (i.e., does it make a difference of a quick tap on the square button vs pressing down on it)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've just played through on Normal for the first time and am towards the end. I'm still having a bit of inconsistency when it comes to executing a counter-attack parry. There are times when I can execute it, and other times that I just get sliced up, as I'm not sure about the timing of the parry.

1. Once I see the red or orange light flash, is that when I should do the forward-L-stick and square motion, or do I need to wait a little bit longer?
If you do the parry action as soon as you see any attack indicators, it would atleast block the attack. To do a perfect parry you need to know the attack animation you're trying to parry, and there's no consistent timing you can use from when you see an attack flash. For example, you need to parry a regular cyborg's leap slash during the height of his jump arc, you need to parry a mastiff standing double fist slam just as it's coming down, etc.
2. Also, say an enemy has a four-hit combo coming up, what's the correct way to parry this combo?

For this example, let's say that the enemy is on Raiden's left. Do I:

a. Hold the L-stick to the left, then square, square, square, square.

or

b. Tap the L-stick and square button, let go of the L-stick so that it is back to it's nuetral position, then repeat three more times.

(If it's b., does this mean that for all parrys, the L-stick should be in neutral position before execution?)
Option B. You need to parry each attack, so just flick the stick in that direction and mash square, there's rarely any need to be precise unless multiple enemies are attack you, and that's rarely an issue in difficulties below Very Hard.

Most enemies can be just mash-parried since only the final hit of the combo can trigger a counter attack anyways, so be as sloppy as you want. Certain enemies like Monsoon or Sam have combo variations that can punish mashing, but those are definitely the exception.
3. Does the way you hit the square button determine a successful parry or not, (i.e., does it make a difference of a quick tap on the square button vs pressing down on it)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tap the button. Holding it might work, I haven't tested it, but the parry in the game is actually very forgiving in terms of direction or timing.

The camera problems are very solvable though. Not saying it will be easy, but it's definitely fixable. Simply pulling the camera back a bit, removing ALL auto-correct, and allowing it to phase through geometry will solve 99.9% of camera issues.

I agree and I'd be perfectly content if this happened for a theoretical sequel.

TheSeks

Your copy of Revengeance has different rules from mine.

It's the same rules.

(See an attack coming, Raiden is facing the other way)

"Well, shit." *TOWARD THE ATTACK AND LIGHT ATTACK!*

Raiden: "Oh, you want me to attack because I'm not facing the attack? LOL OKAY!" *light-sl--eat the attack*

It's more apparent if you try to dodge.

X+Y away from an attack and Raiden isn't facing it? TOO BAD MOTHERFUCKER. *eat an attack because Raiden jumps forward instead of dodging left/right/backwards like you want*

Sephzilla

It's the same rules.

Raiden: "Oh, you want me to attack because I'm not facing the attack? LOL OKAY!" *light-sl--eat the attack*

X+Y away from an attack and Raiden isn't facing it? TOO BAD MOTHERFUCKER. *eat an attack because Raiden jumps forward instead of dodging left/right/backwards like you want*

Like I said, I don't know what to tell you. I've had zero problems doing what you're having issues with.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It's the same rules.

No offense, but it sounds like you're doing the wrong inputs due to off execution.

• Parry worked as is mapped to circle with no directional input required
  • Offensive Defense also mapped to circle with directional inputs
  • Ninja Run having a stationary modifier when pressed allowing players to defend against bullets more quickly

I agree about the stationary Ninja Run modifier and the Offensive Defense, but I actually like having dual inputs for a block.

mattp

It's the same rules.

yea this is 100% not true
i dont know what you're doing, but that is not how the game works

That's like saying I wish the sword guys didn't block my moves when I tried to hit them.

If everyone in the game was a sucker for the perfect parry then the strategy (or lack there of) would be rinse repeat.

every enemy (more or less) bring a new challenge in their encounters.

Raiden has many moves to close the distance if an enemy you fight decides they dont want to be a punching bag and moves out the way. It all depends on the moves you've bought and the weapon's you have a equipped.

Deitus

It's the same rules.

Maybe I'm just not understanding the way you are explaining it, because that sounds like the exact opposite of the way that it works. If you press a direction and the attack button, Raiden will parry in that direction, regardless of his previous facing.

As for the dodge, that can happen, because the dodge has different animations depending on if you want to go backward, forward, or sideways. I won't say I've never been screwed by dodging sideways when I needed to dodge back, but the ability to circle around a charging enemy rather than dodge backwards still in his path is worth the way they designed it.

TheSeks

No offense, but it sounds like you're making the wrong inputs.

Nope, I'm toward the attack and light-attack as soon as the red-flash indicates an attack is coming. Because the system is based on Raiden's position (and this is apparent when dodging, seriously go do dodges while facing away from enemies. You can't because it's based on Raiden's position and Raiden thinks you want that stupid A+X "dodge" jump forward attack instead of the dodge-back I-frame dodge) half the time he freaks out and does what you don't want him to do at that moment.

Even then if you're facing toward an attack there's times where he wants to attack JUST as an attack is coming at him instead of blocking despite the huge ass "warning, attack coming!" window letting him/you know you want to parry and you input the parry command.

As for the dodge, that can happen, because the dodge has different animations depending on if you want to go backward, forward, or sideways. I won't say I've never been screwed by dodging sideways when I needed to dodge back, but the ability to circle around a charging enemy rather than dodge backwards still in his path is worth the way they designed it.

Dodging sideways don't help when 99% of moves are going to track you, esp. in boss battles that they want you to "no damage."

I just definitely disagree with the idea that everything should be left as is and just "fixing the camera" would solve all the problem's that I have with the game at least.

The problems YOU have with the game, no, because I don't have an issue with ninja run, or the parry input, or the dodge input, etc., but most of the other criticism I've read concerning off screen attacks, tracking enemies who jump out of frame, the camera going crazy when pushed up against a wall, auto-correct when moving, etc. can all be solved without changing a single button input or design concept. You seem to have an issue with the mechanics and button inputs, I have an issue with how the camera affects those mechanics and button inputs. Rising feels great as is, IMO. Any issues I have is 99.9% a fault of the camera going BAT-SHIT INSANE.

Sephzilla

Nope, I'm toward the attack and light-attack as soon as the red-flash indicates an attack is coming. Because the system is based on Raiden's position (and this is apparent when dodging, seriously go do dodges while facing away from enemies. You can't because it's based on Raiden's position and Raiden thinks you want that stupid A+X "dodge" jump forward attack instead of the dodge-back I-frame dodge) half the time he freaks out and does what you don't want him to do at that moment.

Even then if you're facing toward an attack there's times where he wants to attack JUST as an attack is coming at him instead of blocking despite the huge ass "warning, attack coming!" window letting him/you know you want to parry and you input the parry command.

I really dont mean to sound like a dick, but this really just sounds like user error. You're the only person I've ever heard have a complaint like this about MGR, and I know for a fact that parrying is not dependent on Raiden's position what so ever. I've put a little over 60 hours into Revengeance and never came across anything remotely close to the issue you're having, if it was an actual real issue I'm pretty sure I would have stumbled upon it at some point during any of my playthroughs. The only time I ever had any issue with parrying or dodging was a result of a pretty obvious user error on my part.

Roto13

It's the same rules.

That does not happen to me. Ever.

Top Bottom