• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

People actually got hit by the magma wall?

Just figure out really quick which side is the better one to be on with more room.

sometimes your not so luckly. A lot of the times what you describe is the case and is easy to do. Other times your on the inside, and its shaped like a triangle with little room. Then depending on which attacks he does on the inside(which is random) can totally make your life a living hell.

Not that I'm trying to tempt fate but, how have we avoided being sent to the ghetto that is the Community forum?

Is EatChildren pulling strings?

popyea

they do?! Hmm didnt notice that before, like I said Ive only done it successfully once. This is good to know. Might try to do it more now. Is it nanopaste that you have to use immediately, like you get from the little tripods? or can you store it?

I think most people get in the situation where they have no nanopastes and struggle to survive past the rock cutting section. Once you clear it though, you'll be able to pick up the health it drops and have a much easier time. Especially since you've been forced to learn not to get hit by his attacks. Just learn the order and angle of the cuts and you'll be able to do it manually and within the time they give you.

CatPee

sometimes your not so luckly. A lot of the times what you describe is the case and is easy to do. Other times your on the inside, and its shaped like a triangle with little room. Then depending on which attacks he does on the inside(which is random) can totally make your life a living hell.

I never had space constraints still. Parrying is stationary, and dodging to the side when he charges takes up very little space. The animation for the fire pillar is blatantly obvious anyhow, so I hardly ever got trapped in the first place.

Jintor

He has astoundingly obvious windup for every single one of his attacks. He's not like Monsoon, busting out a kick with almost no flare.

bigmac996

OMFG!!!!!!! FUCKING SENATOR FROM HELL!

Who IN the flying fuck designed this boss fight??! Freakin masochist!

Ive spent about 200 attempts on this bullshit. About half are just manual retries after the fuckin BADASS Senator does some bullshit that pisses me off too much I have to pause and restart.

The most annoying part for me, is when I get fired walled on either side by hot fuckin magma of death, and the fuckin senator does 1 of 2 things: A. he does the charge and detonation move, and there NO FUCKING ROOM TO RUN BACK, AND YOU'LL RUN INTO THE WALL. B. or he decides to do hes football lunge BS, and there not enough room to maneuver without hitting the fire wall.

oh, and hitting the hot magma wall of death, does 57.5% of DAMAGE, more than a 1/3rd of my health!!

Playing this game on hard was one of this worst mistakes I've made. Its been fine up until this fight. I have absolutely no nanopaste repair things, so in 4 hits i'm dead no matter what. You do so little damage, and therefor the fight goes on for so damn long that its REALLY easy to slip up 4 times. On attempt 100 I started using the SQUARE+X dash dodge a lot more, and it does indeed help. Ive gotten him under 99% health a few times, even twice where I still had 112% health(only got hit once), but that can go south VERY QUICKLY.

Obviously the fucking Senator is clearly superior and I just can't compare with this beast!

I can't believe people can complain about the Trail of Archimedes, compared to this, that was a cake walk!!! That took me 8 tires. Reviewers have no idea what challenging actually is. Pansies.

poarrg pouasrgs[0u!!POu ewgf!!!!!

You get a ton of nanopastes if you successfully slice all the heaps of metal he throws at you. It's actually incredibly easy to pull off. All you have to do is adjust the camera when it goes slow mo, pull the right analog stick to one side while making sure all of the shapes are lit up on the object (i think they're triangles?), indicating you're gonna definitely slice it. After the first successful slice you need to adjust the camera and repeat.

Remember, hold the analog stick (if vertical, hold it up or down and horizontal left or right) and then once all the shapes are lit up, let go of the stick and raiden will slice.

RedAssedApe

Banned
You get a ton of nanopastes if you successfully slice all the heaps of metal he throws at you. It's actually incredibly easy to pull off. All you have to do is adjust the camera when it goes slow mo, pull the right analog stick to one side while making sure all of the shapes are lit up on the object (i think they're triangles?), indicating you're gonna definitely slice it. After the first successful slice you need to adjust the camera and repeat.

Remember, hold the analog stick (if vertical, hold it up or down and horizontal left or right) and then once all the shapes are lit up, let go of the stick and raiden will slice.

I can never seen to get the second cut to line up. Is it really a camera angle thing? So frustrated and I'm playing on normal lol. Fucking difficulty spikes...

Jintor

It's absolutely a camera angle thing. Don't think about it too much... I just flick the right stick and get it every time so long as I centre the camera correctly.

Hypron

If you have trouble with the cutting, you could also try using control scheme B. That way, you orient your slashes with the left stick and move the camera with the right stick. You can then use the face buttons to do the cutting, which enables you to be more precise. I don't know why that's not the default control scheme, it's a lot more natural and practical to use imo.

I think most people get in the situation where they have no nanopastes and struggle to survive past the rock cutting section. Once you clear it though, you'll be able to pick up the health it drops and have a much easier time. Especially since you've been forced to learn not to get hit by his attacks. Just learn the order and angle of the cuts and you'll be able to do it manually and within the time they give you.

YES! After taking a long break and another 15 or so tries I finally beat the son of a bitch! Quite rewarding. :) Soon as I successfully sliced the metal blocks, and got like 4 nanopastes and it was smooth sailing from there. This was DEFINITELY the trick to completing this much easier. On my first 150+ attempts I skipped it and didn't even attempt to do it 90% of the time. Thanks guys!

I can never seen to get the second cut to line up. Is it really a camera angle thing? So frustrated and I'm playing on normal lol. Fucking difficulty spikes...

be sure to remember to use the left stick too! makes things a lot easier when you align the right stick to the angle of the cut, then just move the left stick.

i figured id ask this to fellow mgs fans. whats a brand new gun metal dual shock 3 worth?

Dr_evil_one_million_dollars.jpg

(i have no idea)

Didn't they only come with the MGS4 PS3 bundle? What did you do to the console? The console is around 700$

klausbert

OK folks, I've got a nice trick to beat the final boss, tested on every difficulty except revengeance. You need to have the invite wig b equipped. When you get the boss to the point where he starts recharging, you just have to keep on slashing at him. He gets to a pose where he is on his knees and when you keep slashing in zandatsu mode, he won't get out of his standing up animation. This way you can get him down to 0.1% pretty damn easily and rack up an infinite combo. Hope this helps :)

Sephzilla

OK folks, I've got a nice trick to beat the final boss, tested on every difficulty except revengeance. You need to have the invite wig b equipped. When you get the boss to the point where he starts recharging, you just have to keep on slashing at him. He gets to a pose where he is on his knees and when you keep slashing, he won't get out of his standing up animation. This way you can get him down to 0.1% pretty damn easily and rack up an infinite combo. Hope this helps :)

It's best if he's close to a corner or wall, because I've noticed that if you try this each slash will push him backwards a very small amount. So eventually he's going to get out of your range.

And yeah, I've known about this too, but cheesing Armstrong just feels wrong. I don't like cheating myself out of the best boss in the game.

klausbert

It's best if he's close to a corner or wall, because I've noticed that if you try this each slash will push him backwards a very small amount. So eventually he's going to get out of your range.

And yeah, I've known about this too, but cheesing Armstrong just feels wrong. I don't like cheating myself out of the best boss in the game.
you can follow him in zandatsu mode by pushing L3 and pushing the left stick into his direction. Only time I've ever used that ;)

The platinum trophy for this game is so hard...

Right now I'm finishing Revengeance mode, and I'm stuck in the pre battles with the senator, in the second one in which you go with your bare fists...

Which conditions do I have to met to go to the next round? Why is the senator so awesome?

Sephzilla

Right now I'm finishing Revengeance mode, and I'm stuck in the pre battles with the senator, in the second one in which you go with your bare fists...

Which conditions do I have to met to go to the next round? Why is the senator so awesome?

You can just avoid him for 2 and a half minutes and then he'll automatically trigger the sequence that leads to his final form.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Either deal a certain amount of damage to him or wait it out by dodging. He'll eventually do an Area of Effect attack that will knock you into the next phase but do no damage.

izakq

Ok so what happened here? I'm currently on Hard mode, trying to beat Monsoon with no damage for a trophy. So after 40 minutes of playing around, restarts, and such, I finally managed to beat him with full health, S-rank with the No-Damage bonus BP, and the trophy doesn't pop up. What the hell?

I found the Armstrong fight to be one of the easier ones. Just stay away from him and take your time to line up the slice on the metal he throws at you. Blade mode his back when he goes to heal and that's it.

The lava reminded me of old WoW boss mechanics.

Playing through the game right now, enjoying the combat a lot. The scenes are very satisfying and actually get you pumped to fight the next bad guy.

The story is a mixed bag. I enjoy Metal Gear's cheesy story, but even for a Metal Gear fan this story is too convoluted. Also doesn't help that except for a couple characters, most of the characters are pretty boring.

So far enjoying it a lot despite it's flaws.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Ok so what happened here? I'm currently on Hard mode, trying to beat Monsoon with no damage for a trophy. So after 40 minutes of playing around, restarts, and such, I finally managed to beat him with full health, S-rank with the No-Damage bonus BP, and the trophy doesn't pop up. What the hell?

I think this is an uncommon bug, but I've seen it reported before. I'm not entirely sure what causes it, but I do know that some people have had success in deleting the last patch and redoing it to get the achievement/trophy. I'd do a bit more research on it, though, before committing to that.

Playing through the game right now, enjoying the combat a lot. The scenes are very satisfying and actually get you pumped to fight the next bad guy.

The story is a mixed bag. I enjoy Metal Gear's cheesy story, but even for a Metal Gear fan this story is too convoluted. Also doesn't help that except for a couple characters, most of the characters are pretty boring.

It's the worst mainline MGS story — though I haven't played MGS4 — but it's easily the best Platinum story of the ones I've played.

EDIT: Well, this isn't an MGS game!

Korigama

It's the worst mainline MGS story — though I haven't played MGS4 — but it's easily the best Platinum story of the ones I've played.
MGS4's is definitely worse...and I say this as someone who actually liked MGS4. Agreed on MGR having the best story of any Platinum-developed game.

Sephzilla

I actually thought MGR's story was pretty straight forward, it wasn't nearly as convoluted as 2 or 4.

Did you get hit and then do anything that might save the game (going to the customize menu, calling Courtney, going back to the title screen, etc.)? I remember hearing that doing so disables getting the trophy for that run for whatever reason, even if you get the no damage bonus at the end of the fight.

Sephzilla

Am I alone in thinking that that scene isn't nearly as bad as many make it out to be?

I adored MGS4, but there's far more contrived stuff than that in the game.

Which scene are we talking about though? The one near the end of Act 3 or the one near the end of the game where Akiba goes into boss-mode?

RedAssedApe

Banned
So I'm a little confused with blade mode. (didn't really play all of the VR tutorials so apologies if this is explained). What I'm confused by is whether after lining up your cut you're supposed to press one of the face buttons or you're supposed to flick the thumb stick in the direction you want to cut. I've been doing the latter so far but I usually mess up the cuts because I apparently can't move the thumbstick in a straight line lol. Pressing the face button seems unnatural for how most people hold the pad.

If you have trouble with the cutting, you could also try using control scheme B. That way, you orient your slashes with the left stick and move the camera with the right stick. You can then use the face buttons to do the cutting, which enables you to be more precise. I don't know why that's not the default control scheme, it's a lot more natural and practical to use imo.

This makes a ton of sense. Blade mode feels so awkward to me. I guess its because the camera switches sticks. Will try this tonight.

izakq

I think this is an uncommon bug, but I've seen it reported before. I'm not entirely sure what causes it, but I do know that some people have had success in deleting the last patch and redoing it to get the achievement/trophy. I'd do a bit more research on it, though, before committing to that.

I'll look into it. Thanks for the head up.

Did you get hit and then do anything that might save the game (going to the customize menu, calling Courtney, going back to the title screen, etc.)? I remember hearing that doing so disables getting the trophy for that run for whatever reason, even if you get the no damage bonus at the end of the fight.

Hmmm...I know for sure that I didn't go into the customize menu. As for saving the game in the middle of the fight, I can't recall, but I'm pretty sure that I didn't save, but again, I'm not 100% positive on this. Guess I'll have to get it through Revengence mode if that's the case.

Sephzilla

You guys see the new Sam DLC screens?

Seems he also has his own VR missions

The wind got let out of my sails a little seeing Sam in the Japanese Garden, I hope things aren't just retreads of MGR levels.

Some people had issue with Sam being able to Zandatsu, but given how much of a key gameplay mechanic it is I can live with it.

Speaking of Sam, what combo gives you the maximum points? I no-damaged him in 1 minute 33 seconds with 9590 BP and a 33-hit combo. Do you absolutely have to get all the nanopastes while getting no damage?

Dave1988

Judging by the first screen I'd say that Sam is going to be able to use Defensive Offense just like Raiden. He'll probably have a Ripper mode equivalent, too.

Top Bottom