• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Pimpbaa

Man, I love this game and I hated MGS2 and Raiden with every fiber of my being. I don't even mind the dialog (probably because it's not as long winded, pretentious, nonsensical as the main MGS games).

RangerBAD

I hope they just dont recycle raiden's moveset with this.
Now I wanna see bladewolf screens.

Don't think they will.

http://www.twitch.tv/max_debu Japanese player doing a naked Revengeance run at Armstrong (I think).

Judging by the first screen I'd say that Sam is going to be able to use Defensive Offense just like Raiden. He'll probably have a Ripper mode equivalent, too.

Looks like one of his combos he uses in the game.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Sam still doing Blade Mode and Zandatsu?

Hype deflating...

Edit: Oh god Sam VR Missions....

hype....where's my hype..........

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Did anyone really expect them to omit a core game mechanic? I mean even Bladewolf will probably Zandatsu and rip out the guts with his mouth.

Yeah kinda. With, like you said, Blade Wolf being a character and that they said Sam would play alot differently from Raiden.

This is all ignoring that it just flat out doesn't make any sense from a narrative standpoint as well. (I'm sure they'll make an excuse in game tho)

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Well he's not a cyborg but he does have an exoskeleton.

Being a cyborg has nothing to do with it. Taking energy from cores was a unique design function of Raiden's new body. It's why he doesn't use Zandatsu in the prologue. His body isn't designed to take energy in that way.

That and Sam's body is mostly organic, so it doesn't make sense that Cyborg self-repair units would "repair" his body, or be of any value at all.

Blade Mode is also a "feature" of Raiden's new body in the context of the narrative. (Pretty much justified the same way Sam's AR suit is in Vanquish) but I understand that free cutting is like the main concept of which this game was conceived from, so I'm not surprised to see that return.

Being a cyborg has nothing to do with it. Taking energy from cores was a unique design function of Raiden's new body. It's why he doesn't use Zandatsu in the prologue. His body isn't designed to take energy in that way.

That and Sam's body is mostly organic, so it doesn't make sense that Cyborg self-repair units would "repair" his body.

Blade Mode is also a "feature" of Raiden's new body in the context of the narrative. (Pretty much justified the same way Sam's AR suit is in Vanquish) but I understand that free cutting is like the main concept of which this game was conceived from, so I'm not surprised to see that return.

I blame nanomachines.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, and his blade consumes power too, I guess.

Yeah that's what it looks like. He's taking cores and pressing them into his blade.

Which is stupid. He didn't need to do that shit fighting you.

I dunno man. If we can play prologue with no Zandatsu I don't see why the single chapter DLC missions can't be designed in a similar way.(I actually think Ray is one of the best fights in the game because you don't have those core mechanics yet.)

I blame nanomachines.

It's always nanomachines

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Really? Ray is completely meh. Whale on his legs, avoid his obvious windups, don't have D/O.

I appreciate how consistent(fuck you sundowner helicopter) and quick it is(fuck you monsoon minigames) compared to the other encounters.

Speed killing it is all about learning to be at the right ranges to bait the right moves that lead to damage. Alot more interesting to me than the speed methods of the other encounters. Kinda like Armstrong it makes you play the fight, rather than actively trying to skip their most annoying moves/phases. and most importantly playing the fight straight is fun.

I guess I was just really impressed with it after the giant encounters in Bayonetta. Made me hope that if they decide to go that route again in Bayo 2 at least now they know how to do it right.

Endo Punk

Felt so good getting no damage and S rank on Armstrong. Well starting another playthrough with Mexican machete Raiden, holy shit it's fast!

Korigama

maybe this will also explain, why only sam's blade can kill armstrong.
That already seemed explained with the codec conversation with Doktor during that final phase (the higher the quality of a sword converted into an HF blade, the more potent it is, as the HF process simply amplifies what's already there). The Murasama was simply an already exceptional weapon made into an even better one once Sam had it converted into an HF blade.

Jintor

Now that I don't understand. You'd think HF would just... I don't actually know what HF does. Molecule vibration I guess. I don't see why the quality of the blade would have anything to do with that.

Now that I don't understand. You'd think HF would just... I don't actually know what HF does. Molecule vibration I guess. I don't see why the quality of the blade would have anything to do with that.

Superior steel is harder for Armstrong to break.

Or nanomachines.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Me neither.

But that's what Doktor's explanation is.

Lemme put it like this: A kitchen knife turned into an HF blade is "ok."

A katana forged by master bladesmiths with steel folded hundreds of times and bathed in the blood of its enemy turned into an HF blade is "even better."

Simple. Get a calculator, do the math.

zainetor

Banned
That already seemed explained with the codec conversation with Doktor during that final phase (the higher the quality of a sword converted into an HF blade, the more potent it is, as the HF process simply amplifies what's already there). The Murasama was simply an already exceptional weapon made into an even better one once Sam had it converted into an HF blade.

yes, I heard that conversation.
This pretty much sums up, that raiden's sword is shit.

RangerBAD

A katana forged by master bladesmiths with steel folded hundreds of times and bathed in the blood of its enemy turned into an HF blade is "even better."

Strangely enough, the blades in the game were designed by a cutlery company. Which was probably once a family a bladesmiths when swords were still used.

zainetor

Banned

But is it immune to nanomachines powered senator's strenght?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
yes, I heard that conversation.
This pretty much sums up, that raiden's sword is shit.

Yeah but I mean

When your sword is shit, yet still capable of cutting through treetrunks of reinforced metal designed to withstand like tank shots and bomb explosions and shit like they're made of butter

You gotta wonder if that quality difference really means anything. I mean the only thing on the planet it seems Raiden couldn't cut with his sword was Armstrong.

but I'm assuming we'll see how Sam came to learn that at least, since he probably set things up to give Raiden the sword when he died knowing Raiden would need it to kill Armstrong. Seems like Armstrong knew as much as well with his comment about Sam before the fight started.

RangerBAD

Yeah but I mean

When your sword is shit, yet still capable of cutting through treetrunks of reinforced metal designed to withstand like tank shots and bomb explosions and shit like they're made of butter

You gotta wonder if that quality difference really means anything. I mean the only thing on the planet it seems Raiden couldn't cut with his sword was Armstrong.

but I'm assuming we'll see how Sam came to learn that at least, since he probably set things up to give Raiden the sword when he died knowing Raiden would need it to kill Armstrong. Seems like Armstrong knew so to with his comment about Sam before the fight started.

Even with Sam's blade he wasn't able to truly cut Armstrong. His skin stops the blade sometimes and you can see it bounce off. It just doesn't break. I think that's the difference.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Even with Sam's blade he wasn't able to truly cut Armstrong. His skin stops the blade sometimes and you can see it bounce off. It just doesn't break. I think that's the difference.

Cutting through his skin to zandatsu his heart is the last thing you do in the game. Not to mention Raiden stabbing him through the abdomen prior to that.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Cutting through his skin to zandatsu his heart is the last thing you do in the game. Not to mention Raiden stabbing him through the abdomen prior to that.

Because you harmed his "nanomachines, son" enough to where they start spazzing out.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Because you harmed his "nanomachines, son" enough to where they start spazzing out.

Who says that?

His sword damaging the nanomachines isn't too different from cutting him. They're both a result of the sword being so sharp or whatever that it breaks through Armstrong's perfect defense on some level.(where as the HF blade simply does no damage)

Like how a harder substance will scratch the other softer substance

RangerBAD

Seemed like he weakened the area more than anything. Also, maybe the speed of Sam's blade also plays into it. It's faster than nanomachines, son. Yeah, he stabbed him through, but his skin didn't harden there in time.

Look at all those sparks.

Watching my gf play through on easy and she just beat mistral. That was only after I told her that parry is everything and she ignored me and tried to jump over everything until she got rocked by mistral. That learned her quick haha. I worry that if she doesn't get parrying down Armstrong is gonna make her quit, but she doesn't wanna use autoparry either.

Edit: after beating this on very hard watching how bad her parry skills are hurts my soul.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Who says that?

Just look at the cutscene. His "armor" starts to flicker off and on before Raiden has the chance to Zendatsu him. It doesn't matter if Sam's sword is the one that does it: The point is, Sam's sword is the only one that was able to withstand the "assault" on it's strength and not break due to fatigue to allow Raiden to do that.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry, man, we weren't trying to run you off.

I'm half joking lol

Not mad but man this rabbit hole we're going down here is deep as fuck

We're just arguing over our interpretation of cutscenes really

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Lol fuck the story, for 6.99 I would expect him to do a fucking zandatsu.

Did they announce the release date?

Here are the screens for Sam's DLC:

IEf5Txc.jpg

Just look at this suave motherfucker.

Is that the beach cat?

Top Bottom