• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

RangerBAD

Is this Saito's debut game as a director? If so it's probably the best debut game for a young Japanese director I recall from recent history.

Got the Stormbringer trophy, letting the adrenalin wash off while I listen to the credits song now. Hilariously enough the final boss's worst phase was the second one, since the cartwheel is so unreliable, even with the "option select" strategy of running to opposite corners. I S-ed the third form on the fourth try, but it took me a couple hours to get past the second phase. I even did the cutting sections for kicks to make it go faster, it's much more lenient than sundowner's shield cutting.

Yes, he was lead programmer on Bayonetta. Yeah, the dodge and wait section of Armstrong is the worst part. For the cutting part on Easy, the boxes are HUGE. It was so funny when I got to that.

It's on the short side, but it's such a fun rollercoaster ride the entire way through. It took me 8 hours to complete the first time through (on Hard, though). Are you listening to some codecs? You're basing it on your save clock and not the final time clock, right? Most people are misinformed about the internal game clocks and assume that it only took hem 4-5 hours to complete when it didn't.

As for the final boss, you can run from the debris throwing if you want to. Otherwise, you can just go to Chapter Select, farm some Nanopaste and then redo Chapter 8.

I didn't beat it yet, but my save is clocked in at 4:55. The game IS an awesome roller coaster. Just didn't expect it to be so short. Skipped the codecs for now because I wasn't digging the new characters. Then I realized there's a damn trophy for it!

And thanks for the tip those rocks are brutal. Should have started on easy to work on my skills a little more. =/

I didn't beat it yet, but my save is clocked in at 4:55. The game IS an awesome roller coaster. Just didn't expect it to be so short. Skipped the codecs for now because I wasn't digging the new characters. Then I realized there's a damn trophy for it!

And thanks for the tip those rocks are brutal. Should have started on easy to work on my skills a little more. =/

the codec is where everyone shines.

UFRA

You know, this whole gen has trained me to think "herp derp, I hope X game is like 30+ hours long" and what-not.

It made me forget how an "old school" style game can be so fun. Here I am with only 16 hours clocked in this game, and I've beat it twice, and am about 80% through beating it a third time. I did Normal twice to get used to it, and now Hard.

I absolutely love this game, and it reminded me that there's nothing wrong with a game being under 10 hours as long as its fun and you have a reason to replay it. This game has tons of unlockable stuff, and the desire to perfect my play style and get S ranks really appeals to me.

And to think I was originally thinking "pfft, an action style Metal Gear game? F that.." I'm so glad I didn't pass this up.

the codec is where everyone shines.

Yup. Some genuinely good performances from the voice actors in there. Even when it gets kind of cheesy, there's an earnestness to their delivery that makes it awesome, like Star Fox 64 voice acting. They all show good range from lighthearted to serious to worried, Etc.

I really like Boris' codec call after Raiden re-adopts his Jack the Ripper persona.

jett

D-Member
The codecs in this game are dull and boring. Worst in the series. I think not being able to see Raiden talk works against it, for me. That and the characters having no variety in the facial animation of any sort. Then again the codec calls in MGS3 are fucking awesome despite having static pictures. Nah, they just blow in this game.

MGS4 doesn't count because there's barely any codecs in that game. :p

Roubjon

Yeah, so did I. Initially I didn't care for the characters at all, but the codecs really fleshed them out. Kevin and Doktor were fun to listen to. I also liked how they explained anything you possibly could have wanted to know.

The codecs in this game are dull and boring. Worst in the series. I think not being able to see Raiden talk works against it, for me. That and the characters having no variety in the facial animation of any sort. Then again the codec calls in MGS3 are fucking awesome despite having static pictures. Nah, they just blow in this game.

MGS4 doesn't count because there's barely any codecs in that game. :p

[insert Raiden quote]

Also, cleared all the DL-VR missions. The mines are ridiculous, but all of the time limits were much more reasonable than mission VR-17. sub-weapon only missions blew, of course, except the turret ones, which weren't bad.

This thread is to awesome for Community. They wouldn't be able to handle the sheer volume of nanomachines son]/strike] here.

Also, if you could grab me a code, MotionBlue, I'd be eternally grateful.

Forget Gray Fox, we need another White Armor code airdrop in here, nahmsayin?

only because I already have Gray Fox and White Raiden looks kewl

Ylyon

Neo Member
great game! But the camera is damn awful.... probably the worst I ever experienced in a 3D action game (by comparison, Ninja Gaiden 2 camera is awesome).... especially in the VR fights. The problem is when you're fighting and you've to parry.... but the camera automatically and suddenly changes position (usually when you're close to corners) and you cannot parry because you are now holding the wrong direction

I've never been really good at these games despite liking them so I felt good about myself when I cleared the story on normal.

Then I tried hard and cried. Even the first boss kicked my ass a humiliating number of times. I can't even imagine what Revengeance is like.

demidar

I've never been really good at these games despite liking them so I felt good about myself when I cleared the story on normal.

Then I tried hard and cried. Even the first boss kicked my ass a humiliating number of times. I can't even imagine what Revengeance is like.

Keep at it, R-01 is a lot easier than R-00 because you're depowered. Just remember that you can block all of Ray's attacks that aren't a stomp, laser or missiles.

Keep at it, R-01 is a lot easier than R-00 because you're depowered. Just remember that you can block all of Ray's attacks that aren't a stomp, laser or missiles.

I really dislike that the Prologue strips you of all your upgrades. Every time I restart I get the crap kicked out of me for a while because I keep trying to dodge. And no air parry too ugh. Prologue Raiden sucks.

Roto13

I really dislike that the Prologue strips you of all your upgrades. Every time I restart I get the crap kicked out of me for a while because I keep trying to dodge. And no air parry too ugh. Prologue Raiden sucks.

Yeah. It's alright the first time on Normal, but I haven't tried Very Hard yet just because I don't want to do the prologue on that difficulty.

Dizzy-4U

Finished R00 and R01 in Revengeance S-Rank. That wasn't so bad. Perfect Parry is so overpowered, Mistral didn't have a chance.

I haven't arrived there yet, but I'm already having nightmares of the beginning of R04. I'm gonna rage so hard.

You can parry the stomps.

35apuk.jpg

Is it just me or are the codec discussions really boring compared to old Metal Gears? I might have a lil rose tinted glasses when it comes to them tho.

I just feel like not using codec... but I have to ya know? ;-;

jett

D-Member
Is it just me or are the codec discussions really boring compared to old Metal Gears? I might have a lil rose tinted glasses when it comes to them tho.

They're really boring to me too but some people like 'em.

Hypron

Finished R00 and R01 in Revengeance S-Rank. That wasn't so bad. Perfect Parry is so overpowered, Mistral didn't have a chance.

I haven't arrived there yet, but I'm already having nightmares of the beginning of R04. I'm gonna rage so hard.

Use the infinite sub-weapon wig and it won't be too bad. Using red phosphorous grenades is good against rocket launcher guys. Against the GRAD, throw 1 EM grenade and then fire at him twice using the rocket launcher, throw another grenade, and fire twice more. Rinse and repeat.

I've got no idea how you're supposed to beat him without the sub-weapon wig though, it takes 30 rockets to put him down. It's the only part of the game where I had to use a wig.

ezekial45

Banned
I do appreciate that one of the unarmed combat levels of the VR missions is based on the classic 2D side scrollers.
KuGsj.gif

Other than that, they're pretty basic for the most part. Which is a little disappointing. The gekko levels are fun, though.

Use the infinite sub-weapon wig and it won't be too bad. Using red phosphorous grenades is good against rocket launcher guys. Against the GRAD, throw 1 EM grenade and then fire at him twice using the rocket launcher, throw another grenade, and fire twice more. Rinse and repeat.

I've got no idea how you're supposed to beat him without the sub-weapon wig though, it takes 30 rockets to put him down. It's the only part of the game where I had to use a wig.

The turrets make the section easy. It has a front shield so the only projectiles that can actually hurt you are the RPGs and the GRAD's red homing missiles.

Against the mastiffs, you probably want to use ripper mode or perfect parries. I'm fairly sure the S Rank requirement isn't 5000 (I think 4000?) so you've got some leeway.

UFRA

I like listening to Wolf, due to his high intellect and soothing voice.

Has anyone mentioned whether or not the Grey Fox pack will ever actually get released in the store?

Definitely. They all feel like they go on too long (they always seem to reach a natural stopping point 2/3 through and then just continue on past it) and the majority aren't interesting in the first place.

Top Bottom