• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Wigs and item abuse just makes the game worse, imo. Most of the frustration comes from the camera, and I don't find that making everything else braindead actually improves the experience.

They need a difficulty above Revengeance that isn't all about full upgrades, parry counters, wigs, and pincers. Kind of strange that R-00 is arguably the hardest part of Revengeance.

Hypron

Lightning god? Pshhhh... Try thunder god!

1364529777-photo-2.jpg

1364529777-photo.jpg

My body is so ready for Sam's DLC.

Alright guys, am I offbase in thinking that the gorilla enemies are cheap?

I'm really cautious about calling things "cheap" because usually if I think that when I play a difficult game I will end up overcoming it later, but I'm on very hard now and those enemies...I really hate them.

Their grabs are goddamn quick and really annoying, their jumps come at you from ridiculous angles, seemly ignoring level geometry or hitting you from offscreen, plus if they grab me the wiggle-the-stick QTE is goddamn ridiculously harsh. Like seriously, even if I put the stick on my palm and wiggle it like a madman Mario Party style it still only works half the time. I wish developers would learn that wiggle-the-stick to recover QTEs are NEVER fun, ug.

Anyway, yeah, tips? Those enemies are completely single-handedly killing the fun of the game for me on very hard.

Hypron

Alright guys, am I offbase in thinking that the gorilla enemies are cheap?

I'm really cautious about calling things "cheap" because usually if I think that when I play a difficult game I will end up overcoming it later, but I'm on very hard now and those enemies...I really hate them.

Their grabs are goddamn quick and really annoying, their jumps come at you from ridiculous angles, seemly ignoring level geometry or hitting you from offscreen, plus if they grab me the wiggle-the-stick QTE is goddamn ridiculously harsh. Like seriously, even if I put the stick on my palm and wiggle it like a madman Mario Party style it still only works half the time. I wish developers would learn that wiggle-the-stick to recover QTEs are NEVER fun, ug.

Anyway, yeah, tips? Those enemies are completely single-handedly killing the fun of the game for me on very hard.

You're not the only one. They're very annoying on very hard. On revengeance you can kill them in one perfect parry so it's not that bad, but on very hard it's another story...

The easiest ways to deal with them are: 1. Use red phosphorus grenades. It prevents them from seeing you until you attack them, which makes it easier to take them down when there are more than 1 of them. 2. Use armour breaker. This sword makes it easy to cut them in pieces since it'll break their armour quite quickly in general.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Mastiff's suck

also sucks that the applied approach to scaling difficulty for alot of waves in VH and Revengeance is basically "throw some mastiffs in there".

Raptors and Grads are the best enemies in the game and the most fun to fight. Everything else is lame

The easiest ways to deal with them are: 1. Use red phosphorus grenades. It prevents them from seeing you until you attack them, which makes it easier to take them down when there are more than 1 of them. 2. Use armour breaker. This sword makes it easy to cut them in pieces since it'll break their armour quite quickly in general.

Yeah. That's pretty much how you clear the harder difficulties in this game.

Just cheat. The way the game is designed it's practically asking you to with the tools it gives you.(Armor Breaker and RP grenades pretty much break every encounter)

Thanks guys, glad it isn't just me.

You're not the only one. They're very annoying on very hard. On revengeance you can kill them in one perfect parry so it's not that bad, but on very hard it's another story...

So wait, they're harder on Very Hard than on revengence?

Mastiff's suck

also sucks that the applied approach to scaling difficulty for alot of waves in VH and Revengeance is basically "throw some mastiffs in there".

Raptors and Grads are the best enemies in the game and the most fun to fight.

Yeah, I've been getting the sense that the difficulty balancing in this game isn't as good as previous Platinum games too, kind of a shame.

How to you get the armor breaker again? that's one of the collectible rewards right? I've been getting the collectibles on this very hard run, but my murasama is probably 2/3 of the way to being maxed already.

Hypron

Thanks guys, glad it isn't just me.

So wait, they're harder on Very Hard than on revengence?

Well, they kill you in one hit on revengeance, but you also kill them in one perfect parry so it's a fair trade (imo). Especially when you go for S-ranks, since you don't want to be hit at all, so the amount of damage they do doesn't really matter.

Yeah, I've been getting the sense that the difficulty balancing in this game isn't as good as previous Platinum games too, kind of a shame.

How to you get the armor breaker again? that's one of the collectible rewards right? I've been getting the collectibles on this very hard run, but my murasama is probably 2/3 of the way to being maxed already.

You need to collect all the left hands to unlock it. If you don't have them already you probably won't be able to use it until you finish your run :/.

You can always just use ripper mode and shred them to pieces though.

Ok does dodge actually exist in this game? Seen sites say to use dodge with a guide saying its square+x to do it, yet that never works. Then I read comments on other places saying there is no real dodge, there is only parry.

Ok does dodge actually exist in this game? Seen sites say to use dodge with a guide saying its square+x to do it, yet that never works. Then I read comments on other places saying there is no real dodge, there is only parry.

To use the square + x you need to buy an ability :eek: it's not perfect dodge as far as I understand, though.

Korigama

Dealing with the waves on Very Hard started getting much more manageable for me once I started using Ripper Mode more (didn't bother with it much on lower difficulties). My opinion of the difficulty is a bit higher than it was my first time attempting it, even without the use of wigs, which I'm still too stubborn to bother with...still quite pleased with myself for clearing the start of R-04 without them as well. That part of the game is probably impossible without them if you don't have either turret left, though.

RangerBAD

Even tougher without Fox Blade. I had to upgrade the Armor Breaker just for the Mastif room on 05, but in hindsight I should have used Polearm + Ripper Mode (was using Ripper Mode so that they would fall to pieces).

Whoever said 00 was the hardest on Revengeance is wrong. You just have to kill the initial cyborgs and Gekko and skip the Fenrirs. The Ray fight is pretty much the same as any other difficulty if you're aiming for S.

Mastiffs are much less aggressive on Very Hard versus Revengeance difficulty, though, as far as I can tell. I didn't find them particularly problematic in Very Hard, since it's still viable to dodge around them or parry-dodge til you can hit them to death, which they have too much health for in revengeance (unless you fox blade/armor breaker/ripper mode, I suppose). They're only "cheap" in enclosed areas because of how their attack patterns interact with the camera, so stuff like the watermelon room in r-05 (or any room where they can choose to walljump or grab from the same position, basically) becomes so hard even though I can deal with the same 3 mastiffs plus a GRAD with no issues on the street outside.

The one "oh fuck you" moment I had was the mastiffs that always come down with walljump smashes without warning on the elevator, there's absolutely no justification for that.

Mastiffs are much less aggressive on Very Hard versus Revengeance difficulty, though, as far as I can tell. I didn't find them particularly problematic in Very Hard, since it's still viable to dodge around them or parry-dodge til you can hit them to death, which they have too much health for in revengeance (unless you fox blade/armor breaker/ripper mode, I suppose). They're only "cheap" in enclosed areas because of how their attack patterns interact with the camera, so stuff like the watermelon room in r-05 (or any room where they can choose to walljump or grab from the same position, basically) becomes so hard even though I can deal with the same 3 mastiffs plus a GRAD with no issues on the street outside.

The one "oh fuck you" moment I had was the mastiffs that always come down with walljump smashes without warning on the elevator, there's absolutely no justification for that.

I was pretty much complaining because of fighting them in enclosed areas, yeah. The wall jumps are annoying as hell in areas like the elevator and feel unfair to me, honestly.

That said I've been powering through Very Hard since last night and having a lot more fun with non-mastiff fights.I just save ripper mode for them and cheap them out completely whenever I see them, usually means I only have to deal with one of them at a time after that.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
The hardest room in the game is in Act 4 before you enter the Pagoda in the Japanese replica room.

The fullsheet requirements are so goddamn strict considering what the wave is. No Damaging it is the easiest way to S Rank and even that's extremely hard without RP Grenades or Armor Breaker.

Probably the wave that frustrated me the most in the entire game

Finally got all the collectables, did it on my way through Hard Mode.

Guess I'm going to cheese Very Hard with all my upgrades and shit. Not sure yet if I'll dare to try an S Rank Revengeance playthrough.

Is there any way to unlock the Fox Blade or do you have to buy it?

Amaron

Banned
Just finished my first go at the game. Chose Hard as my first difficulty and wow. That was just amazing. I have to say that my favorite weapon was the polearm and favorite boss was Sam hands down. Now to wreck even more havoc on very hard.

Hypron

I refuse to play any game on the easy setting.

Easy is not really easier than normal (and hard is only a tiny bit harder) when you're aiming for S-ranks, since you're looking at not getting hit at all: the amount of damage the enemies do hardly matters. Anything below very hard is a joke to s-rank anyway.

I worked my way down (I S-ranked revengeance first, then very hard, etc...) and still had fun on the lower difficulties. My only gripe with them is that the perfect parry window on easy/normal is huge. Also, a couple of weird changes are in effect on easy/normal (for example, during the part where mistral grabs your feet with her whip, there's no red box, you can cut anywhere and it'll cut her whip).

I did the same thing for DMC4, and I also found it fun. It even came with a couple of challenges: the enemies died so quickly that is was hard to get enough style points on some levels (Dante's first level comes to mind, I had to no-damage it to get the S-rank).

Man, Sam really was an awesome character. Wish the developers had fleshed him out a little more. I just finished his fight, and after the fight was over I was so disappointed that there wouldn't be more to his backstory =(

Arozay

It's bad game design if they force you to play easy mode to get a title/rank or trophy/achievment.

If anything you should be rewarded for not playing easy mode.

Well rank isnt attached to any trophies so no real point doing it. I personally couldn't be bothered after S'ing Revengeance since you pretty much have to no damage the game again, and that's not really fun.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Well rank isnt attached to any trophies so no real point doing it. I personally couldn't be bothered after S'ing Revengeance since you pretty much have to no damage the game again, and that's not really fun.

Yeah ranks sap the fun out of this game.

I got my Platinum and stopped giving a shit completely about the scoring system.

Been replaying trying to get the rest of the health bonuses before the DLC comes out and enjoying myself alot more when I'm not counting Zandatsu's or watching the hit counter.

Just beat R-00 on Very Hard for the first time and I feel like I'm playing the game the way it was really intended. The enemy waves are remixed and I'm seeing new behaviors from the bosses. Good stuff.

I haven't played this for a few days, but something I wanted to mention was how this game's blistering awesomeness sometimes hits you full-tilt, even after 50+ hours of playing it:

When fighting a pair of raptors while going for some spare trophies, I was attacking one of them when I decided to go deal with the other. As I ran toward it, I noticed its little hop-and-turn animation, indicating it was about to fire missiles at me. I usually get hit by this either because I'm busy with another raptor or I just get caught off guard.

This time, however, I initiated a slide kick while entering blade mode just as the raptor launched its missiles. I sliced the missiles as they passed just above me, all the while sliding toward the raptor.

Let me reiterate: I sent my cyborg ninja-body sliding along the ground toward a missile firing, machine gun-toting, blade-footed robot velociraptor while it fired it's missile barrage just above me. I then, in slow-motion, sliced said missiles to pieces with my electrified, high frequency electron-having katana.

None of that was part of a QTE or cutscene. It wasn't automated at all. It just happened and blew me the fuck away.

Endo Punk

7th playthrough and I finally got the amateur radio operator trophy. Now all that remains is Mistral, Sam, Lover, demilitarised and Lightening God. Im surprised I haven't got the demilitarised trophy after so many playthroughs :/ How many exactly does it take?

Turning the game off without succeeding after trying the same part over and over for three hours feels terrible, man.

I'm trying to S-rank Monsoon on Revengance. He always finds a way to chip a little damage off of me in some ridiculous way. First time I've even had to try more than two or three times to get an S-rank, and I must have done over 200 restarts.

Endo Punk

Turns out I was only one guy away from the demilitarised zone trophy, lol. Finally ready to take on Lightening God.... in a week or so.

Do we have a release date for Sam and Wolf DLC? I hope Sam is next week.

7th playthrough and I finally got the amateur radio operator trophy. Now all that remains is Mistral, Sam, Lover, demilitarised and Lightening God. Im surprised I haven't got the demilitarised trophy after so many playthroughs :/ How many exactly does it take?

Is that for the heavily armored guys? If so, just replay chapter five and seven until you get it. I think it's around a hundred of them, so it will take a while. It was one of the last few trophies I needed for the platinum.

Turning the game off without succeeding after trying the same part over and over for three hours feels terrible, man.

I'm trying to S-rank Monsoon on Revengance. He always finds a way to chip a little damage off of me in some ridiculous way. First time I've even had to try more than two or three times to get an S-rank, and I must have done over 200 restarts.

Idk how I managed to S Rank that one, every fight he'd always get some cheap shot in on me. Eventually I just gave up and just went through with the whole fight afterwards and still got the S even without the no damage bonus.

Just take him out quick and cut all the things he throws at you so you can pick up the drops.

I managed to glitch this game on Very Hard in Chapter 3 with the Blade Mode Wig and Sai equipped. Got some weird animation freezes along the way and then Raiden locked up completely after going down the elevator shaft. Couldn't access the weapons menus or anything. I had to restart to get it working again.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
what does this do and how is it advantageous for the player?

EM grenades stun certain enemies

and RP grenades pretty much break line of sight and "aggro" for every enemy.

So not only do you not have to worry about getting hit by stray bullets, but enemies like Mastiffs and Gekkos will literally stand there and do nothing while you wail on them.

and unlike the other grenades they work on every enemy in the game except bosses. They pretty much trivialize every encounter in the game.

Basically:

Infinite Subweapon wig + RP Grenades + Fully upgraded Armor Breaker = Stress free Lightning God Trophy

SiteSeer

EM grenades stun certain enemies

and RP grenades pretty much break line of sight and "aggro" for every enemy.

So not only do you not have to worry about getting hit by stray bullets, but enemies like Mastiffs and Gekkos will literally stand there and do nothing while you wail on them.

and unlike the other grenades they work on every enemy in the game except bosses. They pretty much trivialize every encounter in the game.

similarly effective on all difficulties? s-ranking revengeance mode has me shaking in my boots.

ahhh. thanks.

Top Bottom