• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Coconut

Banned
I made a post about why I think he's dumb and makes no sense in the spoilers thread:

He speaks normally in the japanese version

What I'm asking is are the TMNT references still there?

Honestly I think they did one day of VO work for George kept and figured no one would care and just did two sets of subtitles, which I think is a joke?

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

CorvoSol

I thought George was okay but his interactions with Sunny kinda made me wonder if she has a thing for 3rd world boys or something, considering that boy Otacon told her she could play with at the end of MGS4.

Llyranor

Ok, finally picked up a PSN card this week and started playing the Jetstream DLC. Maybe I'm just rusty, but I'm dying quite a bit on hard. I really like Sam's charge moves and mobility, really brings a different approach to combat. It'd have been nice to be able to play through the main game with the new moveset.

Super late, but I just finished the game on hard.
I fucking loved it, last boss whupped my ass but I eventually got him. Thank you based platinum.

Jintor

tumblr_mm6v161zaM1so290xo2_500.jpg

Momentary

Banned
I'm about to buy this on my peasant gaming system. I'm going to wait for a Steam announcement for 2 more months and then I'm just going to take the plunge.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Question: is that actually in the Japanese script or was that TMNT stuff added by the English translators?

As far as the statement of him 'not being a typical character' that's not true their are tons of annoying characters in video games. Honestly I don't get why he's here if you have another child character of the same age, George is just stealing time from adorable and likable Sunny.

Also it's so far in the future and he's supposed to be from a third world country why does he know TMNT and not just that he knows TMNT 2: secret of the ooze and can quote Vanilla Ice song lyrics from the movie.

It is canon that in the future of the Metal Gear Universe the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are worshipped as great deities. It's one of the major religions next to ALFism.

Coconut

Banned
It is canon that in the future of the Metal Gear Universe the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are worshipped as great dieties. It's one of the major religions next to ALFism.

Well now I just feel like a moron for questioning the logic of it being in the game.

BadWolf

Finished the game and wow, easily my game of the year. The visual design, music, everything is badass to the core.

Doing a second playthrough and goddamn there are a lot of codec conversations, its like almost after every checkpoint new one's get added. So many and so long, love it. Just like Peace Walker, they are numerous and most are optional, guessing they will do the same for MGSV. Those who like them have them and those who don't can't complain, win win.

One Codec conversation really made it seem like Solid Snake is alive at the time, Raiden was talking about him very much in the present tense, like he was still around and kicking.

black_13

Banned
Playing this now.

Love the difficulty so much. It reminds me of Ninja Gaiden in so many ways of kicking your ass and not making anything that easy.

But good god I fucking hate the boss soundtracks. I just hate Metal to begin with and it's really ruining the experience for me. You got a futuristic setting, Metal song out of no where doesn't fit at all with setting or anything. It worked in Devil May Cry but sure as hell not here.

I would've prefered some fast paced techno crap over this to be honest.

Playing this now.

Love the difficulty so much. It reminds me of Ninja Gaiden in so many ways of kicking your ass and not making anything that easy.

But good god I fucking hate the boss soundtracks. I just hate Metal to begin with and it's really ruining the experience for me. You got a futuristic setting, Metal song out of no where doesn't fit at all with setting or anything. It worked in Devil May Cry but sure as hell not here.

Get out of my thread.

Finished the game and wow, easily my game of the year. The visual design, music, everything is badass to the core.

Doing a second playthrough and goddamn there are a lot of codec conversations, its like almost after every checkpoint new one's get added. So many and so long, love it. Just like Peace Walker, they are numerous and most are optional, guessing they will do the same for MGSV. Those who like them have them and those who don't can't complain, win win.

One Codec conversation really made it seem like Solid Snake is alive at the time, Raiden was talking about him very much in the present tense, like he was still around and kicking.

I can't believe you just beat this man. I thought you would've been week 1 with this. But glad you see how awesome this is. You'll get so much out of multiple playthroughs, codecs, new weapons, upgrades, VR missions, even the DLC is worth it. You'll probably love what how Sam and Wolf play.

I try to respect all opinions, but I'm not sure I can jive with this one.

black_13

Banned
Alright guess I'm alone on this. To be fair I've hated metal ever since a previous co-worker used to blast it at work and I've grown to really dislike most of it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Alright guess I'm alone on this. To be fair I've hated metal ever since a previous co-worker used to blast it at work and I've grown to really dislike most of it.

I think context is really important. A lot of the tracks in MGR didn't really mesh completely with me until I heard them in-game, especially with the music that shifts in tandem with the action of the boss fights.

Ensoul

I am enjoying this game and I am near the end. Not loving a few of the boss fights though. The issue I am having is that I don't have enough health packs when I fight the bosses. I usually end up with one or two which makes for a very frustrating and challenging fight.

I am enjoying this game and I am near the end. Not loving a few of the boss fights though. The issue I am having is that I don't have enough health packs when I fight the bosses. I usually end up with one or two which makes for a very frustrating and challenging fight.

dont get hit

Coconut

Banned
Playing this now.

I agree the boss music is out of place, but I think the problem is that it doesn't work as music you can listen to on repeat.

What

are you not listening to 15 minutes loops of "The Only Thing I Know For Real"

what's wrong with you

Or Red Sun.

Or The Stains of Time.

Or Hot Wind Blowing.

Or It Has To Be This Way.

Or Collective Consciousness

Or A Stranger I Remain.

Or 95% of the soundtrack, really.

Dave1988

Or Red Sun.

Or The Stains of Time.

Or Hot Wind Blowing.

Or It Has To Be This Way.

Or Collective Consciousness

Or A Stranger I Remain.

Or 95% of the soundtrack, really.

I know, right? Like how the hell is something like that even possible? The vocal tracks are awesome. What's not to love?

Jintor

I need a mix that has a full runthrough instrumental, then starts fading in different parts of the vocals, to fully replicate that experience

BadWolf

I can't believe you just beat this man. I thought you would've been week 1 with this. But glad you see how awesome this is. You'll get so much out of multiple playthroughs, codecs, new weapons, upgrades, VR missions, even the DLC is worth it. You'll probably love what how Sam and Wolf play.

Unfortunately things came up and I just couldn't get to it, got the chance this weekend and pretty much beat it in two sittings. Could easily see myself adding it to the likes of MGS4 and Vanquish as my most replayed games this gen.

Really interested in hearing your impressions of the game.

So the DLC is actually good huh? Not a fan of DLC in general but will make an exception for this. And yeah, VR missions are a perfect fit for this, it was such a shame that MGS4 didn't get them.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Got back into the game a couple of days ago since I want to complete everything now except for the S Rank Revengeance Achievements before I give the review copy of the game back, and possibly buy the game later when I see it for super-cheap.

Only got one more VR mission to get on Gold, and it's purposely Mission 18 because I've heard so much about it so I skipped it completely till I try it seriously tomorrow, but it looks like it'll be easy considering what I had to do with other missions, namely mission 19 with the Zandatsu-only kills without accidentally killing an enemy. Especially easy since there are no obstacles to make the camera go stupid (it still did when I messed around for a couple tries) but not as bad as it did in other missions where it actually did things like make me run BACK towards the enemies I was running from for no reason.

When I beat that mission Gold, I'll have everything I need to get everything except the S-Rank Achievement, and I don't feel like going through the hassle of making multiple saves and all that right now, since I want to finish my BioShock 2 + Minerva's Den run.

Really interested in hearing your impressions of the game.

So the DLC is actually good huh? Not a fan of DLC in general but will make an exception for this. And yeah, VR missions are a perfect fit for this, it was such a shame that MGS4 didn't get them.

The DLC is good. Difficulty level is raised, Sam plays like he looks in the cutscenes (if you've seen Samurai Champloo, Sam is Jin and Raiden is Mugen I'd say); he even does things I wish Raiden could do, like taunt. IMO, if there was ever a level to farm for BP, I always use Sam's DLC (hope I can do the same for Bladewolf too). The reused assets don't bother me. Would've been nice to get to see different places and scenarios (Sam vs that Brazilian cartel), but I still got my money's worth.

The game as a whole is my GOTY, maybe GOTGeneration too. It hits a lot of good points for me. It's MGS where it needs to be (codecs, characterization, lore, occasional stealth), and high-level action a.k.a. Platinum when it needs to be (60fps, satisfying fight climaxes, replay value). No soundtrack has been as memorable this gen, same for boss battles with a few exceptions in other games. MGR is THE cutting mechanic standard for games now, that I know of; all the animations and ways to cut people in Blade Mode is amazing. I love how aggressive Raiden is and how he mostly relies on his enemies for health in Zandatsu. The only things I'd change with the game is the camera and making it so a few characters could have a shot at a sequel (Sam and Mistral for me). I could say more, but lot of people have already said what makes this game great. It's the cyborg ninja game we needed, and deserved (Gray Fox fans, keep hoping for a centric game for him like I am).

Carbonox

This thread is still going? Marvelous stuff.

Feeling that Rising urge. Haven't touched the game since I got the Platinum way back when, though.

Re-Platinum it perhaps? :lol

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Finished VR-Mission 18 on Gold with 5 minutes to spare - I don't think I've ever gotten so mad at a game in such a long time because the ONLY thing that was the problem with this mission 18 that everyone talked about was the camera in my book. Fuck me, there were times where I had six enemies in front of me and all of a sudden the camera whips around to face the wall, when there's nothing behind me.

But I knew that once I could finally pass the Fenrir part (annoying because it was hard to keep track of it and the two armored guys at the same time), and my parrying of the Fenrir got me in trouble because of the camera or the armored guys hit me off-screen because I was too close and didn't realize it while fighting the Fenrir. Beat that part and the last two phases were cake. Got all the Achievements except for the ones for the S-Rank, I'll leave those for some other time when I buy the game on the cheap because I sure as hell don't feel like having to jump through hoops with multiple saves like everyone else out there had to.

Hey Platinum, next time you want to make an Achievement for S-Rank, be smarter than that and don't make it have to be in one playthrough when the camera is so ass, seriously.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Hey Platinum, next time you want to make an Achievement for S-Rank, be smarter than that and don't make it have to be in one playthrough when the camera is so ass, seriously.

It doesn't have to be done in one playthrough, though. You can replay chapters as many times as necessary.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The instant you get anything less than S in a run, your whole save file is screwed, that's what I mean.

I'm confused. Your save file is never screwed since you can always replay a chapter over again at any time for an S rank. If you mean that getting an A rank in a fight screws up that attempt of an S rank on a particular chapter maybe? You can always hit RESTART right before it saves the stats for that fight, though.

BadWolf

The game as a whole is my GOTY, maybe GOTGeneration too. It hits a lot of good points for me. It's MGS where it needs to be (codecs, characterization, lore, occasional stealth), and high-level action a.k.a. Platinum when it needs to be (60fps, satisfying fight climaxes, replay value). No soundtrack has been as memorable this gen, same for boss battles with a few exceptions in other games. MGR is THE cutting mechanic standard for games now, that I know of; all the animations and ways to cut people in Blade Mode is amazing. I love how aggressive Raiden is and how he mostly relies on his enemies for health in Zandatsu. The only things I'd change with the game is the camera and making it so a few characters could have a shot at a sequel (Sam and Mistral for me). I could say more, but lot of people have already said what makes this game great. It's the cyborg ninja game we needed, and deserved (Gray Fox fans, keep hoping for a centric game for him like I am).

Whoa, GOTG? Good stuff. It really is surprising how detailed and well implemented the cutting is, was messing around in a street and easily cutting just about anything from cars to trees and rails at various angles and into little pieces. But even in combat, aside from Zandatsu the mechanic is incorporated well.

Like you are comboing and all of a sudden the enemy's arm or leg starts glowing blue so you quickly go into blade mode and cut off the limb before continuing to fight him until you weaken another limb. Was fighting a guy yesterday and pretty much cut him down limb by limb one at a time until he had just one leg left. Crazy stuff.

Yes there is a touch of Ninja Gaiden in there but overall I think it succeeds in carving out a place for itself in terms of gameplay compared to the others in the genre. In terms of the feel and quality of gameplay overall it feels like playing a game made by the team behind Vanquish for sure.

The instant you get anything less than S in a run, your whole save file is screwed, that's what I mean.

Don't play via "Continue", hit "Story" then "Chapters" to play via chapter select. Its pretty much like Devil May Cry and Bayonetta in this regard, you can play any chapter and select the difficulty.

Its safer to play this way as well since you won't risk losing everything by accidentally starting a new game or something.

Ensoul

Well I beat the last boss. He was pretty tough and it took me around an hour and a half. I did fine up until:

He throws the first rock. I could easily cut through the first part of the rock. The second part I simply could not cut diagonal right to diagonal left for some reason. I swear I would die on the part 9/10 times. When he healed that was another issue until I figured out I had to hit him in the back.

Once I finally got past the above part I figured out how to beat the guy.

Great game and tons of fun. Seemed short but it did take me 10 hours to complete. Have not played a game that tough in a while though.

Endo Punk

Mistral using Dwarf Gekko's as a chair whereby they are grabbing her arse (@3@)

Blade Wolf looks awesome to play. Definitely day 1 for the most entertaining action game I played since NGB :D

Top Bottom