• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Shaanyboi

Banned
Soooo jumped back into Vanquish today. Never finished it, last played it when it came out.

Holy fucking shit, it's STARTLING how similar it is to Revengeance. To the point where I'm just going "Well of course they got the Metal Gear contract."

Hypron

I'm so mad right now... I was going for a S-rank run of the DLC on revengeance, and I finally got to the final boss, killed him without taking any damage and got a B... A 30 hits combo doesn't grant you any point whatsoever (how's it even possible to get a combo higher than that? He's always attacking you with attacks that last too long for you to keep your combo going), and I missed the health refills so I didn't get any points for the BPs I got... Ugh. My back up saves are at the mid-fight checkpoint (so after all the health refills) and before VR mission 4... Yeah... :(

Tokubetsu

Other than the bridge hickup, I'm having a fairly smooth time on hard. Once I learn enemy/boss patterns if I restart I can usually do a flawless or near flawless rerun of the fight.

CorvoSol

Is it just me or does the red body make this game like, ten times easier? I finished r-00 and r-01 in a fraction of the time it took me the first time on a higher difficulty.

Facism

got this as a gift from a friend a few days ago, been brilliant so far, except the camera.

no code for cyborg ninja, though :( anyone got 1 spare for ps3? I'm in the UK.

DSix

Banned
Damn I'm stuck in revengeance against
Armstrong bare handed
I'm dodging all of his attacks and chip at him for a while, but the next phase never seems to come up... Have I forgotten something to look out for?

katkombat

Banned
Damn I'm stuck in revengeance against
Armstrong bare handed
I'm dodging all of his attacks and chip at him for a while, but the next phase never seems to come up... Have I forgotten something to look out for?

I think, think, he does some shockwave move and it triggers the next phase. Or maybe that was the phase before? I'm not sure tbh.

katkombat

Banned
I can't go around taking random shockwaves to the face (it one shot me).

What I meant, was that there is a shockwave that triggers the next phase, if you dodge attacks for a while. You won't get hurt by this one, but reading now, it looks like it won't trigger? That's odd.

DSix

Banned
What I meant, was that there is a shockwave that triggers the next phase, if you dodge attacks for a while. You won't get hurt by this one, but reading now, it looks like it won't trigger? That's odd.

So I can't dodge that shockwave? That's good. But it seems to take an awful lot of time to come out, is it dependent on his HPs?

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
So I can't dodge that shockwave? That's good. But it seems to take an awful lot of time to come out, is it dependent on his HPs?

Yeah, it's kind of a pain. Just dodge his attacks for about 2-3 minutes. He'll do the unblockable shockwave that initiates the next phase.

I don't believe HP factors into the time limit.

DSix

Banned
I've hold on for 6 minutes max and nothing. It's pretty hard to keep it going longer under his pressure.

edit: Now I got it. I was to close too him and actually attacking while using the invincibility frames of the dodge to defend, but it seems I was too aggressive and the game didn't know what to make of it. Now I just tried to just run around him in ninja run and in 3 minutes the phase ended... pretty strange that the game is actually pushing players to do such a cheap thing, I didn't even know there was a timer.

I've hold on for 6 minutes max and nothing. It's pretty hard to keep it going longer under his pressure.

edit: Now I got it. I was to close too him and actually attacking while using the invincibility frames of the dodge to defend, but it seems I was too aggressive and the game didn't know what to make of it. Now I just tried to just run around him in ninja run and in 3 minutes the phase ended... pretty strange that the game is actually pushing players to do such a cheap thing, I didn't even know there was a timer.

They should've just let you take damage without affecting the ranking or achievement, since it's what the game actually sort of wants to happen regardless. Dodging back and forth was just tedium, though it was good practice for no-damaging the final boss on the Sam DLC I suppose.

Hypron

They should've just let you take damage without affecting the ranking or achievement, since it's what the game actually sort of wants to happen regardless. Dodging back and forth was just tedium, though it was good practice for no-damaging the final boss on the Sam DLC I suppose.

Yeah, he's just ridiculous in the DLC. Oh you're trying to attack me? Then dodge those 7 dashes motherfucker (each one of which one-shots you obviously). Ha but you're still standing? Well, let me spam that shit 3 more times just for fun.

Yeah, he's just ridiculous in the DLC. Oh you're trying to attack me? Then dodge those 7 dashes motherfucker (each one of which one-shots you obviously). Ha but you're still standing? Well, let me spam that shit 3 more times just for fun.

For me the most important part was learning to "option-select" between the dash kick and the dash-up throw with a double dodge so that the first one will dodge the kick and leave you enough time to do a second dodge if he wants a hug. Also being diligent about inputting the dodge direction carefully so you don't get the forward or backwards dodge against the throw since it's not guaranteed to evade.

Yeah not fun at all. The dodge mechanics are way less interesting than the parry mechanics, plus both characters' cartwheels aren't that interesting since they don't even have the utility of also being an attack that can stagger. I'm so mad that Sam doesn't have dodge offset.

I still stand by
Armstrong
phase 3 being one of my favorite bosses this gen, in terms of BGM, mechanics, and how it interacts with the rest of the game. I'd replay it more often if I didn't have to deal with having to sit through
Excelsus and his first two phases
in order to get to him. I think Platinum had a warped idea of how good the player would be at that point in the game, since the game is very lean and not especially difficult on the default difficulties, so the mechanical barriers in that fight are a bit daunting. I was meh on him the first time through on Hard but by the time I was playing through Very Hard and no-damage S-rank Revengeance I was having a blast.

Different story in the DLC because of changed AI, though.

Hypron

I still stand by
Armstrong
phase 3 being one of my favorite bosses this gen, in terms of BGM, mechanics, and how it interacts with the rest of the game. I'd replay it more often if I didn't have to deal with having to sit through
in order to get to him. I think Platinum had a warped idea of how good the player would be at that point in the game, since the game is very lean and not especially difficult on the default difficulties, so the mechanical barriers in that fight are a bit daunting. I was meh on him the first time through on Hard but by the time I was playing through Very Hard and no-damage S-rank Revengeance I was having a blast.

Yeah, if you know how to play the game (ie. you know how to use offensive defense and manual blade mode), the final fight is just absolutely awesome. The cutscenes are hilarious, and the 3rd phase is everything I'd ever want from a final boss fight: epic, challenging, varied (armstrong has quite a few different attacks) and just the right length (not too short, not too long). I don't think I've played a game this gen with a better final boss (Bayonetta's final boss is fucking epic for example but not particularly interesting to fight, just like 99% of the giant bosses out there).

On another note, I took a 2 days break after my ragequit and finally S-ranked the DLC on revengeance! My backup save was just before VR mission 4 (and if you go for the no-kill bonus instead of the no-damage one it's not that hard and it's very fun), so I only lost around 1 and a half hours of gameplay. The worst part of the DLC is the room with 2 GRADs in it though. This fight is so frustrating. It's so random, if the GRADs want to hit you they will, and there's nothing you can do about it. You just have to get lucky and hope they attack you with one of the 3 attacks you can perfect parry. I'm not sure how I'm going to S-rank that fight on Very Hard since ripostes do shit-all damage on that mode.

Surprisingly, I completely wrecked
Armstrong
. It didn't even take me 10 tries to get to his 2nd phase (including 3 tries where I got hit by his helicopter attack right at the end of the first phase), but once I got past that I killed him straight away without even having to restart. It felt so good. He goes down extremely quickly if you manage to land a charged attack while he's taunted (if he goes for the attacks that make the cracks in the ground you can basically take him down from full health to almost 50% if he's in a taunted state by hitting him with 3 charged attacks consecutively).

Now onto very hard mode! It'd be nice to get all dem s-ranks before the new dlc gets released.

CorvoSol

I still stand by
Armstrong

I'll give you the music, and I can't vouch for the whole gen, but I dunno, the fight is such a let down for me. Especially since
it's a game about Raiden and the villains will not stop harping on the whole Solidus Snake thing and then your final enemy is that guy you saw for twelve seconds in one scene of the game. Please enjoy his unexplained totally not-Col. Volgin powers as he drops the F-bomb every other word.
I mean, compared to
Liquid, Solidus, The Boss, and even Paz and Ocelot, it's just sort of . . . meh to me.

My favorite fights in the game are still
RAY, Mistral and Sam.

Yeah, if you know how to play the game (ie. you know how to use offensive defense and manual blade mode), the final fight is just absolutely awesome. The cutscenes are hilarious, and the 3rd phase is everything I'd ever want from a final boss fight: epic, challenging, varied (armstrong has quite a few different attacks) and just the right length (not too short, not too long). I don't think I've played a game this gen with a better final boss (Bayonetta's final boss is fucking epic for example but not particularly interesting to fight, just like 99% of the giant bosses out there).

On another note, I took a 2 days break after my ragequit and finally S-ranked the DLC on revengeance! My backup save was just before VR mission 4 (and if you go for the no-kill bonus instead of the no-damage one it's not that hard and it's very fun), so I only lost around 1 and a half hours of gameplay. The worst part of the DLC is the room with 2 GRADs in it though. This fight is so frustrating. It's so random, if the GRADs want to hit you they will, and there's nothing you can do about it. You just have to get lucky and hope they attack you with one of the 3 attacks you can perfect parry. I'm not sure how I'm going to S-rank that fight on Very Hard since ripostes do shit-all damage on that mode.

Surprisingly, I completely wrecked
Armstrong
. It didn't even take me 10 tries to get to his 2nd phase (including 3 tries where I got hit by his helicopter attack right at the end of the first phase), but once I got past that I killed him straight away without even having to restart. It felt so good. He goes down extremely quickly if you manage to land a charged attack while he's taunted (if he goes for the attacks that make the cracks in the ground you can basically take him down from full health to almost 50% if he's in a taunted state by hitting him with 3 charged attacks consecutively).

Now onto very hard mode! It'd be nice to get all dem s-ranks before the new dlc gets released.
Do perfect parries do more damage for Sam on Revengeance? I know the QTE pushkick of god insta-kills everything, but I didn't notice if the regular parry did more. The GRAD room is annoying because of the camera and also because the fight will last hours if you don't taunt and if you do they'll immediately start hurricane kicking just to be assholes. Not being able to do an evade slash against the slow missiles is such a pain as well. Haven't bothered S-ranking this, though, and I don't know if I will. A ton of the encounters aren't a lot of fun (mastiffs everywhere, elevator with raptors, etc) but the first 2 bosses are a blast with their new AI upgrades.
I'll give you the music, and I can't vouch for the whole gen, but I dunno, the fight is such a let down for me. Especially since
it's a game about Raiden and the villains will not stop harping on the whole Solidus Snake thing and then your final enemy is that guy you saw for twelve seconds in one scene of the game. Please enjoy his unexplained totally not-Col. Volgin powers as he drops the F-bomb every other word.
I mean, compared to
Liquid, Solidus, The Boss, and even Paz and Ocelot, it's just sort of . . . meh to me.

My favorite fights in the game are still
RAY, Mistral and Sam.
After MGS4, it's just what the franchise and the character needed, imo.
Nanomachines, son!
actually made MGS4 better retroactively. I don't mind the lack of setup since I think it was meant to increase the absurdity of the twist, though I wish all the Winds were introduced in the prologue instead of just two of them (meeting Monsoon and killing him 10 minutes later was much more disappointing).

The final boss is good because Raiden outclassed every enemy up to that point, even the bosses. They had cute gimmicks but both in terms of lore and game mechanics Raiden's way stronger, and you could brute force everything in the game up til that final sequence. Having to out-fight and out-maneuver a much more powerful opponent while being tested on every mechanic in the game, with It Has To Be This Way playing in the background, was just the best way for an action game to end. And he wasn't some sort of amorphous blob, thank god.

Hypron

Do perfect parries do more damage for Sam on Revengeance? I know the QTE pushkick of god insta-kills everything, but I didn't notice if the regular parry did more. The GRAD room is annoying because of the camera and also because the fight will last hours if you don't taunt and if you do they'll immediately start hurricane kicking just to be assholes. Not being able to do an evade slash against the slow missiles is such a pain as well. Haven't bothered S-ranking this, though, and I don't know if I will. A ton of the encounters aren't a lot of fun (mastiffs everywhere, elevator with raptors, etc) but the first 2 bosses are a blast with their new AI upgrades.

Perfect parties do more damage, but not as much as in the vanilla game. They still break most enemies' armours instantly apart from the mastiffs, geckos (it stuns them sometimes though) and GRADs (you kill them in 2 perfect parries though). The most annoying enemies for me are the long sword guys, with their new AI they just are just so aggressive. It's all right when there's only one of them, but as soon as you need to deal with more than one it becomes a pain in the ass.

Yuterald

Anyone here going for the Titles? I have a somewhat complicated question regarding them.

To get the no continue/difficulty titles, do you HAVE to start a New Game or is it possible to do them through Chapter Select? I can't seem to confirm whether or not if you have to start the game from File 00 in order for your current run stats to register. The game also obviously keeps your best run of a chapter as well as your best game result for that difficulty. I died during a QTE on Easy in one chapter, finished it out to the end, reloaded that same chapter, made sure I didn't die, and then replayed File 07 and it didn't seem to take my current game results. Anyone know what's up with all of this? I feel like the whole Chapter Select/Title system is messy as shit and there's no rock solid information on all of its quirks.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Ha okay, thanks :) I'm really looking forward to this DLC. Hopefully they'll upload the achievements straight away this time.

Are the achievements still borked for Sam's DLC on the 360 version? I hadn't checked recently, but they weren't properly being counted before.

JoeFenix

Anyone here going for the Titles? I have a somewhat complicated question regarding them.

To get the no continue/difficulty titles, do you HAVE to start a New Game or is it possible to do them through Chapter Select? I can't seem to confirm whether or not if you have to start the game from File 00 in order for your current run stats to register. The game also obviously keeps your best run of a chapter as well as your best game result for that difficulty. I died during a QTE on Easy in one chapter, finished it out to the end, reloaded that same chapter, made sure I didn't die, and then replayed File 07 and it didn't seem to take my current game results. Anyone know what's up with all of this? I feel like the whole Chapter Select/Title system is messy as shit and there's no rock solid information on all of its quirks.

I got most of the titles and if I remember correctly (been a little while) you DO have to start from chapter 00 from chapter select. New game is something you definitely don't want to do unless you're going for the title that deletes your upgrades and resets everything.

Basically you want to start through chapter select and just finish the game from there. I agree that it's kinda messy but atleast I didn't have any weird issues while trying to get the titles other than that.

The title that requires you to beat the game on Hard with no upgrades (no health upgrades either) is a naked run basically. You need to use the New Game option to reset your save file, you keep all your VR mission progress and all your titles and collectibles but everything else is gone. All your weapon upgrades, BP and your S ranks are reset.

Definitely keep that title in mind because other titles require you to S rank all the difficulties so if you want that nice ranking screen do the Naked run first.

Hypron

Are the achievements still borked for Sam's DLC on the 360 version? I hadn't checked recently, but they weren't properly being counted before.

They were added on xbox.com a bit more than a week ago. If you got them before, you'll need to re-download your XBL profile and just load a game, the achievements will pop-up right away.

Definitely keep that title in mind because other titles require you to S rank all the difficulties so if you want that nice ranking screen do the Naked run first.

Ugh... Why did they chose to do that? I don't want to have to lose 50 hours of gameplay just to get a single title... I guess I'll have one save with all the S-ranks and another one with all the titles.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
They were added on xbox.com a bit more than a week ago. If you got them before, you'll need to re-download your XBL profile and just load a game, the achievements will pop-up right away.

Seriously? I have to delete and redownload my profile? I'm kind of uncomfortable doing that. The achievements have already popped for me, they just haven't been added to my total.

JoeFenix

Ugh... Why did they chose to do that? I don't want to have to lose 50 hours of gameplay just to get a single title... I guess I'll have one save with all the S-ranks and another one with all the titles.

You can back up your save file and check to make sure it deletes your rankings but I'm pretty sure it does.

Hypron

Seriously? I have to delete and redownload my profile? I'm kind of uncomfortable doing that. The achievements have already popped for me, they just haven't been added to my total.

Sadly yes, the achievements will remain glitched until you redownload your profile...

You can back up your save file and check to make sure it deletes your rankings but I'm pretty sure it does.

Okay, that sucks :/

Hypron

:eek: I'm currently playing through the DLC on Very Hard, and after a short while I just couldn't get bothered no-damaging every single fight anymore, so I started going for the no-kill bonuses instead, and it makes a lot of the fights a lot more manageable. I should have done that way earlier. It's a lot more fun to play that way as well, I don't have to restart every 10 seconds anymore.

Zertez

I keep waiting for this game to go on sale, so I can finally play it. It seems to be holding its value longer than most games or I missed a sale. I was hoping it would have been around 30 dollars at this point. It is probably worth 60, but being sick and out of work, every dollar matters.

Hypron

Uuuh... Has anyone got any idea what this means?

1367409771-photo-on-2013-05-01-at-23-59.jpg

Edit: Also, I looked at the list of titles, and 2 of them require to to take more than 10 hours to finish the game... How's that even possible? Do they just expect you to idle for 7 hours?

Yuterald

Edit: Also, I looked at the list of titles, and 2 of them require to to take more than 10 hours to finish the game... How's that even possible? Do they just expect you to idle for 7 hours?

I figured I'd go for all the Codec conversations during my 10 hour run and try and collect the remaining Data disks, Men in Boxes, Civilians, and Geckos that I missed on my own. Those Data disks are really fucking hard to find if you're not using a guide. For how small some of the stages/areas are, they hid those disks in some pretty clever spots. I barely found 10 yet and I think I've cleared the game 3 times! I somehow managed to find all the Left Arms on my own, even the one you can get when you stealth that section in the Marshal building. I was trying to speed run the game and figured stealth kills would get me through the area and lo and behold some secret enemy with an arm showed up. Love all the small hidden stuff in this game.

But yeah, the time is a bit excessive. I love Titles/Ranks to earn in games, but I don't think they handled them here the best way they could have. The chapter select structure isn't ideal or fully developed. If I were going to make a Title for doing a naked/no upgrade run of the game, then AT LEAST have an option to temporarily disable/remove your upgrades. I get that the game was made on a quick buck and they tried to pack as much value into it as possible, but some of it just feels handled poorly. Whatever, the game is still cool as shit so who cares, right?

Top Bottom