• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Bladwolf fucks with you a little bit after the eye glow, often jumping side to side before coming in for the actual attack. Its all about timing.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
@EatC. : how is the parry move introduced in the game?
i just cant get it to work in the demo (only on the boss, no problem with the standard enemies) and it makes me feel like an idiot. i am no stranger to this type of game (love ng, dmc 3 and bayonetta) but i cant even beat the fucking boss in the demo because of the parry.

After playing the boss fight for an hour or so, blocking and parrying him became completely trivial.

As for getting the parry specifically, practice parrying the last hit of his 3-hit combo attack. Then move on to parrying his flying drill attack, for which the timing is a little tricky because if you wait until he's about to hit you, the game will have already transitioned into the cinematic view of him tackling you. So you have to parry a little earlier than it looks like you should.

i know how it works (and it works fine on the gekkos and cyborgs), i just cant get it to work on the boss. wait until the enemy "glows", press in his direction + square. for some reason, i just cant get it to work on the boss, at all.

Maybe you're doing it way too early? If it's the move where he hops around (3 or 4 hops, I forget) then you have to wait until he actually is about to leap at you for the block to work.

Also, when you say parry, do you mean the block with perfect timing and the auto-counterattack or just regular blocking?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
are there 2 different ways to parry? i always go for the "real" parry, that leaves the enemy open for a counter attack.

Well, technically "parry" just means to deflect an attack, which is normally is called blocking in games like this. But it's now clear you're talking about the perfect timing parry. Sorry for my confusion.

If you're trying to parry every single thing the boss does, I can't help you, as I haven't tried that. I just do the "block" parry for most of his attacks and then perfect parry the one's I can easily see coming. It's actually not even that effective; he often dodges the counterattack, and it doesn't seem to deal massive damage when it does connect.

I would find this more impressive if it weren't so easy to parry.

Sigh, I just can't get into this game.
parrying (in any game) is based on timing, why should the input be difficult? I don't really understand that logic. Regardless, the game should be plenty of challenge for any action game fan.

And OMG is it smooth...day one for me, pre-ordered just to remind myself to pick it up on release.

S1kkZ

Well, technically "parry" just means to deflect an attack, which is normally is called blocking in games like this. But it's now clear you're talking about the perfect timing parry. Sorry for my confusion.

If you're trying to parry every single thing the boss does, I can't help you, as I haven't tried that. I just do the "block" parry for most of his attacks and then perfect parry the one's I can easily see coming.

how does the normal block work? just light attack without pressing torwards the enemy?

rvy

Banned
I thought people were complaining normal difficulty is too easy?

I doubt it will be the difficulty as much as people not understanding how to beat certain boss fights. I mean, from what I've seen in YT playthroughs, most players have yet to understand that you need to go into Blade Mode when Kanji pops up in the screen.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
parrying (in any game) is based on timing, why should the input be difficult? I don't really understand that logic. Regardless, the game should be plenty of challenge for any action game fan.

And OMG is it smooth...day one for me, pre-ordered just to remind myself to pick it up on release.

Presumably he thinks the timing is too easy as well. However, I don't think that .gif was meant to be an impressive display of skill.

Kaizer

Banned
Man, watching that stream yesterday for the game got me even more hyped! I'm trying to finish up DmC before MGR gets here - don't think my mind could handle both games at once.

RS4-

how does the normal block work? just light attack without pressing torwards the enemy?

I think you still have to input a direction. He'll go into the parry animation. I could be wrong though.

I'm just glad it isn't as easy as Batman.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

You still press towards the enemy and hit attack. Normal block is what happens when you time your parry earlier (lower risk, lower reward). If you execute the command like a second or half second before the enemy connects with you, you'll just block. The timing window is fairly generous, and even though it may look like you're in a stun animation, you can block another attack if you execute the command again.

deim0s

anyone on ps3 notice any difference/improvements from the demo?

np more saiyan raiden, bladewolf slash effect, framerate dips or such?

Squall516

haha oh man after seeing how awesome all the Avatar pics turned out, now i really want mine "revengeifiedizled" lol I think it would look freaking sick on Squall lol. Please can anyone do one for me with the eye and everything? ^______^

Wait. So this means the missing effects from the demo are in the final game? Oh man. But what if the 360 version has even better effects?!? Ugh. I hate this. I can't pick between versions.
PS3 has the exclusive dlc, the better controller for this genre, uncompressed cut scenes, and sexier graphics. What's to decide?

haha oh man after seeing how awesome all the Avatar pics turned out, now i really want mine "revengeifiedizled" lol I think it would look freaking sick on Squall lol. Please can anyone do one for me with the eye and everything? ^______^

Me too pls.

i asked before..but due to a phone gaffe I was shunned.

jett

D-Member
I don't know why rvy thought the game would have an installation. The loading times in the demo are lightning quick.

raidenbjq9q.jpg

demidar

PS3 has the exclusive dlc, the better controller for this genre, uncompressed cut scenes, and sexier graphics. What's to decide?

I honestly don't know whether I prefer the 360 controller or the DualShock when it comes to action games. The triggers are better on the 360 pad but the one I have has a shitty d-pad and the face buttons have gotten 'sticky' for lack of a better term, making simultaneous presses hard. DualShock has crummy triggers and the controller itself is too small for my liking, but it's got good face button pressing and the d-pad is a lot better.

Akainu

OT I suppose.

Whats the story around everything using that same energy in the spine? If this was originally a prequel was it mentioned in mgs4.

Squall516

I don't know why rvy thought the game would have an installation. The loading times in the demo are lightning quick.

raidenbjq9q.jpg

haha oh man i was right, and in the words of The Doctor that looks "FANTASTIC!!!" Thanks a lot, and much appreciated!!! Can not wait to get the game and start playing >_<''' lol

rvy

Banned

I imagine shit from time to time and think it's reality. I have no idea, really. I think I read that in this thread 2 days ago from some dude who got the review code.

I honestly don't know whether I prefer the 360 controller or the DualShock when it comes to action games. The triggers are better on the 360 pad but the one I have has a shitty d-pad and the face buttons have gotten 'sticky' for lack of a better term, making simultaneous presses hard. DualShock has crummy triggers and the controller itself is too small for my liking, but it's got good face button pressing and the d-pad is a lot better.
You don't need triggers for MGR though. Controller layout C works well on PlayStation

Jawmuncher

I just found out about the DLC wooden sword
Apparently its infused with Solid Snakes soul? I guess he is dead then. Though I guess that's why kojima is not wanting to mention him to much in this. Killing a memorable character like that (even if it from old age/foxdie is pretty bad. I'd assume mgs5 will mix the timelines together so that he can kill snake off properly.

Akainu

I don't know what layout C entails, but I'm pretty sure you would need to use ninja run, blade mode and hard lock-on all at once and at least one of those requires a trigger.
Ninja run is r1 and blade mode is l1. Lock on is r2 and sub weapon is l2. It might be me but hard lock on is useless; you also don't need to hold it down whats the problem. I don't even bother using sub weapons.

Top Bottom