• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Serra

Got the game today. Played for around 2 hours. Overall I really like it but there are a few things that piss me off.

- Bad checkpointing. There have already been a few instances where i die and then have to pick up a item that is required for the story, cut through a door or two and then get back to the fight I died in. Why not just put the checkpoint AFTER I have picked up that item and sliced those doors, just before the fight?

- Some enemies really stunlock. If I mess up and get dazed or whatever that thing is where you have to shake/roll the left stick (which I hated doing in Bayonetta) some enemies will just do another attack immediately after so I have to shake the stick again. So I can go from like full health to zero (on normal) if I mess up once. Maybe I just suck at shaking the stick?

Also can anyone give me any tips? Question spoilered below
how do you guys fight the gorilla UGs in the sewers? they are really annoying for me to fight. when do that running grab attack where they spread their arms, can you parry that? only way I found to evade it is to just run away (which is harder than it sounds)

Got the game today. Played for around 2 hours. Overall I really like it but there are a few things that piss me off.

- Bad checkpointing. There have already been a few instances where i die and then have to pick up a item that is required for the story, cut through a door or two and then get back to the fight I died in. Why not just put the checkpoint AFTER I have picked up that item and sliced those doors, just before the fight?

- Some enemies really stunlock. If I mess up and get dazed or whatever that thing is where you have to shake/roll the left stick (which I hated doing in Bayonetta) some enemies will just do another attack immediately after so I have to shake the stick again. So I can go from like full health to zero (on normal) if I mess up once. Maybe I just suck at shaking the stick?

Also can anyone give me any tips? Question spoilered below
how do you guys fight the gorilla UGs in the sewers? they are really annoying for me to fight. when do that running grab attack where they spread their arms, can you parry that? only way I found to evade it is to just run away (which is harder than it sounds)

While orange/red indicates an attack you can parry, yellow indicates a grab, which cannot be parried.

Does this game explain why Raiden isn't just chilling with Rose and Jack as MGS4's ending and his character arc suggested? or are they not really interested in that sort of thing and just said fuck it?

ANY kind of explanation about this in the game? MGS isn't literature but they could at least take into consideration what's already happened with some of the character resolutions.
What skills does he have other than being a soldier?

RS4-

Thanks!

So is running away when they grab really the best tactic or am I missing a trick?

I use the evade (X+A, square+X) to get away from yellow attacks.

Do you guys know how to deal with the heavy? Soldiers. The ones with the big sword. Even with a successful parry they parry my follow up. I'm not 100% sure if it's only the lunge attack that allows a successful parry.

Not a fan of the camera at times. Especially when it comes to dealing with air enemies or when you're cornered by a group of enemies that stun lock and hit you with grenades

I use the evade (X+A, square+X) to get away from yellow attacks.

Do you guys know how to deal with the heavy? Soldiers. The ones with the big sword. Even with a successful parry they parry my follow up. I'm not 100% sure if it's only the lunge attack that allows a successful parry.

Not a fan of the camera at times. Especially when it comes to dealing with air enemies or when you're cornered by a group of enemies that stun lock and hit you with grenades

My best way fighting those guys was just to parry again after they counter my parry. Should only go back and forth twice until you break their guard. I love using the parry, but still not a fan of the "square/X + direction" to perform it.

RS4-

My best way fighting those guys was just to parry again after they counter my parry. Should only go back and forth twice until you break their guard. I love using the parry, but still not a fan of the "square/X + direction" to perform it.

Yeah I try to keep up the back and forth parrying... Too bad there's usually one or three more people surrounding you lol.

I wish parrying was more precise. I'm not asking for easy mode batman, but sometimes it just doesn't work out.

chrono01

I know this might be an impossibility, but if anyone has some free time, would you mind giving my avatar a little...revengeancing [yes, that is a word, I deem it so!]?

As much as I would like to do-so myself, I lack the skills to create it [well, a convincing one anyway]. Seeing some of the ones made in this topic make me obscenely jealous, and thus, I greatly desire one of my own.

If not, I completely understand, but I figured I'd ask just in-case.

I've heard that before actually, they don't want people to steal their t-shirt design I guess.

I looked on the Hot Topic website, the only Rising t-shirt they are selling has the same old Shinkawa drawing of Raiden we've seen along with the logo. It's nothing Uniqlo level.

I was at the Uniqlo store in SF today but they wouldn't sell me any shirts. They claimed they don't get them in until Sunday night. Whatever. Bullshit street dated tee shirts... the mannequins were wearing them already. Here is a pic I took of their entrance.

hAzG0lV.jpg

I was at the Uniqlo store in SF today but they wouldn't sell me any shirts. They claimed they don't get them in until Sunday night. Whatever. Bullshit street dated tee shirts... the mannequins were wearing them already. Here is a pic I took of their entrance.

There's a Uniqlo Store in SF? They have the other Metal Gear shirts?

mileS

Got my...Grey Fox costume + blade code early. Yahoo~

What happens If i say.. walk into EB games tomorrow to "pre-order" ? seeing how its only out in a couple days. I guess my question is do they stock enough codes that you can pre-order last minute to get one?

Robot Pants

Hi guys, i'm new.
I would like to ask, if there are some kind of camera control options, in the menu.
Thx

No sensitivity options. Which the game really needs. In the demo there weren't so Im assuming there won't be in the final game.
You can invert both axis if you want though. I think that's about it.

New Question:
Can someone explain how weapon upgrading works?

zainetor

Banned
No sensitivity options. Which the game really needs. In the demo there weren't so Im assuming there won't be in the final game.

New Question:

from what i've seen in the streams, there are actually some new options, but i could be wrong.

RS4-

New Question:

Sensitivity is there. Invert is the only other camera option iirc.

For the default weapon, I believe the 3 options: more damage, refills FC faster and I don't remember what the third one was

zainetor

Banned
Sensitivity is there. Invert is the only other camera option iirc.

For the default weapon, I believe the 3 options: more damage, refills FC faster and I don't remember what the third one was

good. I was right then. At least, you can scroll it super fast...I hope.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
What skills does he have other than being a soldier?

That on top of his body being a high maintenance prosthetic designed for combat situations

I doubt most civilian hospitals have the facilities he requires for upkeep.

His situation at the beginning of Rising is pretty much the best he could have hoped for after trading his body away like he did

jett

D-Member
Hahaha oh wow, the plot is completely and totally nonsensical character assassination for Raiden. I'm not sure if the
Jack the Ripper
stuff was supposed to be hilarious or not but I was entertained nonetheless.

The Monsoon fight was insane by the way. I only got by because on normal you get a steady supply of health items, even during boss fights. I have a feeling I will suffer on harder difficulties.

Oh and those wondering if any explanations are giving about Raiden's situation at the start of the game, they are, but it's delivered through codec. A surprising amount of backstory detail and world building is delivered through codec, unfortunately the vast majority of them are boring and feel more like lectures than anything else. I'll say the story is fairly disjointed and messy and, well, dumb as bricks. This is something that really couldn't be salvaged from the remains of the original Rising game.

zainetor

Banned
Hahaha oh wow, the plot is completely and totally nonsensical character assassination for Raiden. I'm not sure if the
Jack the Ripper
stuff was supposed to be hilarious or not but I was entertained nonetheless.

The Monsoon fight was insane by the way. I only got by because on normal you get a steady supply of health items, even during boss fights. I have a feeling I will suffer on harder difficulties.

Oh and those wondering if any explanations are giving about Raiden's situation at the start of the game, they are, but it's delivered through codec. A surprising amount of backstory detail and world building is delivered through codec, unfortunately the vast majority of them are boring and feel more like lectures than anything else. I'll say the story is fairly disjointed and messy and, well, dumb as bricks. This is something that really couldn't be salvaged from the remains of the original Rising game.

do the codec conversations change, if you call someone in specific moments? Like if you call somebody in the middle of a bossbattle, do they give you some advice?
I ask, because in the demo it wasn't.

Mechazawa

Hmm. The guy who wrote the story apparently spent a considerably less amount of time on it than he did with the version of the original Rising premise.

Maybe he just straight up had to get something out the door fast.

jett

D-Member
Are codec conversations skippable, or are they like the demo and mandatory?

They're skippable. I meant the codec conversations in the menu, like in past MGS games. Those are 100% optional.

do the codec conversations change, if you call someone in specific moments? Like if you call somebody in the middle of a bossbattle, do they give you some advice?
I ask, because in the demo it wasn't.

They do change constantly.

And they did in the demo too, duder.

zainetor

Banned
They're skippable. I meant the codec conversations in the menu, like in past MGS games. Those are 100% optional.

They do change constantly.

And they did in the demo too, duder.

nope, in the demo there was a limited number of codec calls, for each pg. Once they run out, they don't say anything new. I called doktor, in the middle of the bladewolf fight, to see in he could give me some advice, but he didn't.

jett

D-Member
nope, in the demo there was a limited number of codec calls, for each pg. Once they run out, they don't say anything new. I called doktor, in the middle of the bladewolf fight, to see in he could give me some advice, but he didn't.

doktor's lines rarely changed in the demo, but the others did. Even when you let the hostage live or die, they had different stuff to say.

yes you just picked the character that didn't give a fuck.

everyone else changed based on the situation at hand (boris even commented on bladewolf calling for reinforcements in your fight).

Should be interesting to see how it goes in the full game.

Top Bottom