• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

jett

D-Member
Oh and disappointingly there are no leaderboards for the VR missions, although I don't know if that will be enabled day one or what, although there doesn't seem to be any space on the UI for that.

DannyCool

I'm not very surprised by the time it may take to complete the game. Gametimes on all metal gear games has never been that long, half of the time you spend on the Metal Gear games are cutscenes. Still love it regardless.

L.O.R.D

It doesnt count any of those retries or any cutscenes -- Its a special calculator for speed runners only. Good god people. Do we have to tattoo this to every fucking page. Or put a kibosh on posting that end screen unless you label it "ACTUALLY PLAYED FOR 12 HOURS THO" on the image.

actually,i finished chapter 5 and i spent 3:05 hours gameplay

and then, i returned to old chapters just to get more point to upgrade every thing
played 1-2
then, i have 4:10 hour on game play

lucius

Can I start on Very Hard?

I think someone mentioned a code can someone post it or MSG me it.

btw, Fry's website has this for $52 after shipping just ordered PS3 version saw the deal from a Wario64 tweet. Have not seen too many deals on this game like Crysis 3, was going to pass on this for Tomb Raider but most are saying good things about it, plus I have a feeling Tomb Raider will drop in price faster.

rvy

Banned
Oh and disappointingly there are no leaderboards for the VR missions, although I don't know if that will be enabled day one or what, although there doesn't seem to be any space on the UI for that.

Not sure if you covered this already, but how do boss weapons work? Hold a button to select them or what?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Tried very hard.

Why.

kaioshade

OK, didn't know whether to post this in the demo section or here, but here we go.

Parrying and movement.

So fighting an enemy, I parry them, sometimes they get knocked back across the screen approximately 500 miles or they are right there next to me so I can counterattack. Why is this?

When knocking an enemy back sometimes I can do this dash move where I rush to them and begin attacking. most of the time when I try I just stand there and swing the sword useless.

Launching. I am doing the motion. sometimes enemy stands there and is launched, other times, the launch hits them but the massive weight of their mighty cyborg frames refuses to respond to gravity. no idea why this is.

I know I am obviously doing something wrong, I just do not know yet what it is. Any S rank god can feel free to educate me on my failings of this game.

McNum

With the parry, it all comes down to timing.

Too early, you get knocked away, but don't take damage.
Just right and you stay in place while Raiden automatically counterattacks.
Too late and you get hit.

"Just right" is a little later than you'd think it is. Except for against the demo boss's cinematic attack, then it's way earlier.

jett

D-Member
Not sure if you covered this already, but how do boss weapons work? Hold a button to select them or what?

You choose them from the the d-pad menu, it stops the action, you can't change weapons mid combo or anything like that. It replaces the triangle attack. If you unequip your unique weapon the triangle button reverts back to the HF blade.

Jarmel

Banned
You choose them from the the d-pad menu, it stops the action, you can't change weapons mid combo or anything like that. It replaces the triangle attack. If you unequip your unique weapon the triangle button reverts back to the HF blade.

That's utterly disappointing.

rvy

Banned

Sounds fucking dumb. Thanks.

Darkone

risingoeqzp.jpg

Literally like...70% of those continues was the final boss. Which in turn became less troublesome when I stopped playing like a moron and learned how to best tackle the fight better.

And now I must wait until the 19th.

Dam the game is short :(.

remz

Browsing /v/ is hilarious. People trying to start shitstorms left and right.

I don't know how anyone can be bothered posting there at all when it's filled with so much flamebaiting and shit stirring. Almost every second thread is someone fishing for reactions with either Revengeance or DmC

Darkone

Again, as stated above several times, that total playtime doesn't count cutscenes, codec calls and only counts your best time for every chapter (Not retries).

Just saw those posts :p.

Think i will try from the start on Very Hard for it to last longer.
hope to survive.

rvy

Banned
I don't know how anyone can be bothered posting there at all when it's filled with so much flamebaiting and shit stirring. Almost every second thread is someone fishing for reactions with either Revengeance or DmC

/vg/ all the way.

review backlash because of duration?

Im thinking Journey here

(of course it was not AAA price)

It's around 8-10 hours first time through, it's only the Platinum Time "time played" counter at the end that's confusing people who've never played a Platinum game before.

zainetor

Banned
it lasts like the majority of the games out there. 8 hours 1st playthrough, seems pretty normal to me.
And it has a lot of unblockables.

rvy

Banned
review backlash because of duration?

Im thinking Journey here

(of course it was not AAA price)

Who gives a shit, really. Reviewers think Vanquish is 5 hours long, but never bother to play Tactical Challenges or finish the game on harder than Casual Auto.

winstano

Tried very hard.

Why.

Please tell me that
Armstrong
is the final boss? I am being PUMMELLED here, and I don't think I can stomach anything harder than this, and I'm on normal! The moral of the story, try and keep as much of the
repair nanopaste
in your inventory throughout the whole game...

Edit: Finally got past it. Helluva finish.

Yuterald

So funny to read people complain about supposed game length's. Do people not replay stages for better ranks/scores in these sorts of games? I know that there are "Normal Mode Runners" or "play and trade"-types out there, but come on, people. I don't know, I'd much rather have a shorter/tighter game with high replay value (modes, ranks, cool unlocks, etc) than a bloated title that never ends, especially for this genre. Stages should be designed to "work it", over and over again.

Whatevs, this is one of my most wanted vids this year. Sucks it'll take me until the Spring to finish this game once because of my work schedule. Oh well. I'll savor the hotness.

ElyrionX

Is there a general consensus on this so far from action games vets? Where does it stand in the current trifecta of Bayo, DMC4 and NG2?

Vanquish isn't the longest game no matter how you cut it. And the level design/scoring system is so damn boring that it limits the amount of time I replay it, godlike controls or not. After I got the Platinum trophy, I was pretty much done.

Hope Metal Gear Rising is better, in that regard.

rvy

Banned
Any install on the PS3 version?

Yeah, jett says it's about 5 minutes long.

Vanquish isn't the longest game no matter how you cut it. And the level design/scoring system is so damn boring that it limits the amount of time I replay it, godlike controls or not. After I got the Platinum trophy, I was pretty much done.

Hope Metal Gear Rising is better, in that regard.

Is it a 5 hours game?

s-bojan

Banned
2nd half of the game is a lot better than the 1st one.
I guess that 2nd or 3rd play-through will be more interesting, due to the unlocked weapons and moves.

I was surprised to see Logan Mader's name in the end credits. How the hell did he get to write the soundtrack(which I liked)?

Nemesis_

Is there a general consensus on this so far from action games vets? Where does it stand in the current trifecta of Bayo, DMC4 and NG2?

Already from what I've read it's an entirely different beast. It emphasises aggressive play and isn't necessarily about "style".

NG2 doesn't belong near Bayo or DMC4, IMO. >_>

Naar

Game isn't out yet. DmC did the same thing when I was reviewing it on PS3. Once release date hits the trophies will appear on your list.

What? Really? Since when did they do this? I've gotten many games a few days before release and this never happened.

Anyways thanks for the info and indeed when I went to offline mode they popped up!

Skidd

I've been watching someone play the game on Youtube. Holy shit at all that cheese and bad voice acting.

Most of the time it's all basic Kojima-ish, philosofical jabber, which I certainly don't mind but then you have silly visual gags or bad dialogue that ruin the moment. This happens awfully lot during
the last boss fight.

Also, a lot of f-bombs in this game.

So funny to read people complain about supposed game length's. Do people not replay stages for better ranks/scores in these sorts of games? I know that there are "Normal Mode Runners" or "play and trade"-types out there, but come on, people. I don't know, I'd much rather have a shorter/tighter game with high replay value (modes, ranks, cool unlocks, etc) than a bloated title that never ends, especially for this genre. Stages should be designed to "work it", over and over again.

Whatevs, this is one of my most wanted vids this year. Sucks it'll take me until the Spring to finish this game once because of my work schedule. Oh well. I'll savor the hotness.

If this game is half as good as Bayonetta it'll last me a hundred hours at least. I vastly prefer short games that are infinitely replayable to longer games that i'll struggle to finish even once

rvy

Banned
There's this dude uploading videos to YT, he's gotten up to Monsoon and has yet to realize that he's supposed to go into Blade Mode when the Kanji pop-ups on the screen. I want to kill myself watching people play Rising. I really do.

Top Bottom