• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

I'll probably only play through once initially, coming back to it later but honestly short games don't bug me too much as I no longer have a ton of time to actually play games anymore thanks to a pretty shitty work schedule (I get wednesdays and thursdays off..and I get rest those days soooo)...hell if it takes me 8 hours, then that's fine.

as long as I enjoy my time playing it. Nothing else matters

winstano

ZmxjM2A.jpg

Just over 4 and a half hours, quite pleased with that. Probably gonna go through Hard and then work up to Revengeance in the coming weeks/months... Although the last boss will probably have me throwing everything through a window.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
People posting completion-screens, you guys under embargo or something? Spill the bloody beans, how good is it?! I need to know!

winstano

People posting completion-screens, you guys under embargo or something? Spill the bloody beans, how good is it?! I need to know!

According to the sheet I got, I'm "not allowed to post reviews, scored or not"... No date on there when I actually can though, so I'm not really sure what I'm allowed to post :( I think it might have been yesterday, but can't be sure. I'm not a blogger or anything, just someone who won a competition to get their copy early as part of a promotion.

The game is nuts though.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I am not under embargo. What do you want to know? I beat the game on normal

Ok, ok, burning questions first :

1) Does this feel like a PG game through and through? Or does it feel like a haphazard collaboration of a game that went through development hell?
2) Does changing difficulty change more than a health/damage modifier variable?
3) Speaking of difficulty, how does the game stack up against other games like it, NG, Bayo, DMC?

Thank you.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So what are the difficulties in order from easiest to hardest? Not quite sure what order the higher ones are specifically.

Naar

1) Does this feel like a PG game through and through? Or does it feel like a haphazard collaboration of a game that went through development hell?
3) Speaking of difficulty, how does the game stack up against other games like it, NG, Bayo, DMC?

Thank you.

LOL those are bad questions to ask me because I think the only PG game I played was Mad World on Wii (It's PG right?) I played the other games but as demo's/friends house. So my exposure to them was limited.

I just want to say I am not a huge fan of these types of games but I do play the occasional DMC/GoW games.

1. It honestly feels like a VERY solid game. It doesn't feel like it was under development hell or anything like that. Although there are times where the cutscenes feel like a PG cutscene rather than something done by Kojima. Basically it get's REALLY cheesy towards the end, but at that point I didn't care and was just enjoying the game way too much! :D

2. Sorry I didn't try the other difficulties yet. I am now going through VR mode

3. Hmm it is maybe slightly less easier than the games you mentioned, but I don't want to imagine certain scenarios in the game played on Revengence.

Overall it was way better than I expected. I got this game more because it was MGS related than the type of game it is. I don't usually buy games like DMC or Bayo, but MGR is a game that I know I will go back and try to complete as much as I can and even replay it on Revengence.

I am already having fun in the VR missions trying to outdo my times and get 1st place.

This game has a lot of replay value and to me is an excellent game.

I hope I was helpful! >< I can answer other questions if you want, especially if they are specifically about the game rather than comparing it to other games of it's genre

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
/v/ is about a million times worse than it used to be, and even then it was bad.

It wasn't bad in 2005. It's only the /b/ rejects from the habbo raids coming that started to downward slide it.

*rocking chair*

Naar

How would you rate it from 1-10?

I don't want to give a number because I would give it a 10. That doesn't mean it's perfect.

Just that I enjoyed it a LOT and think it's an EXCELLENT game, even with some of it's flaws

Really if you like Metal Gear or these types of games you will enjoy it.

The one thing I didn't like is how easily you can get stun locked:

1. You get stunned
2. You wiggle stick to get out of stun
3. As soon as you get out of stun you get hit again and stunned again

I went from full health to almost 0 a few times because of this in seconds

Duffyside

Banned
Is there a game that has a camera where people go "yo man this camera is fucking awesome!"

Just feel like I've been hearing "it has a bad camera" about every game since Mario 64.

Pezking

how again do so many people here have this, given I bet half of them have a LT 3.0 xbox...

Even many german shops already started selling the US version of the game 2-3 days ago. I could have driven 15 minutes to Mainz yesterday to buy the game, but I'd rather wait until thursday for my copy from amazon.de with the nice preorder-steelbook.

So I wouldn't jump to conclusions. The game obviously shipped pretty early to retailers.

winstano

Thank you.

After re-reading stuff, I'm taking it to mean "You can't talk about this game til after the 16th", as that's when people came round and played it at my place! :p

1) This feels like a proper Platinum game. Haven't played a lot of Bayonetta, but it's got some real parallels with Vanquish. Certainly doesn't feel like the game that KojiPro were trying to make and struggled to get past the concept. Giving the game to PG was absolutely the best choice for Raiden and his story. Wouldn't work with Snake/MGS mechanics.

2) I can't say on that, haven't touched anything other than normal.

3) I can only speak to the DMC series if you're comparing to those and those alone, but on Normal it's not massively difficult (save for a couple of bosses, and the last boss is INSANE). For the most recent comparison, I'd say that normal on Rising is much more challenging than Normal on the new DmC. I can imagine things getting really tough further along the difficulty levels.

Dahbomb

Is there a game that has a camera where people go "yo man this camera is fucking awesome!"

Just feel like I've been hearing "it has a bad camera" about every game since Mario 64.
If someone doesn't complain about the camera in an action game then it means it has a good camera. I liked DmCs camera it was fully controllable and even then I didn't feel like I had to move it around much. God of War has a great camera as well and of course can't ever forget Godhand.

KungFucius

King Snowflake

I have had a couple of instances where I am getting my ass kicked by an offscreen boss, others where it changes nearly 180 when I am perfectly fine with where it is. The camera is pretty bad sometimes.

RS4-

Btw, if you're missing battle results at the end of chapters, make sure to pay attention to the codec conversations that automatically pop up at certain points, they tell you that you can back track to initiate another battle.

They show up as green dots on your radar.

If someone doesn't complain about the camera in an action game then it means it has a good camera. I liked DmCs camera it was fully controllable and even then I didn't feel like I had to move it around much. God of War has a great camera as well and of course can't ever forget Godhand.

I think purely because of Blade mode more people will have troubles with the camera than in any other action title.

Whether its simply a bad camera is another story entirely as I just cant see how blade mode in its current incarnation would work without those controls

Dahbomb

Hard and above is usually what Platinum intended how the game is to be played. If it's Vanquish, Bayo, Madworld or Anarchy Reigns.
Yea that's what I am thinking as well. In todays age you can't make Normal mode as hard as the DMC1/DMC3/NGB days, casuals and reviewers get turned off by it. Since they don't play at Hard or higher you can afford to make your game balls hard on higher difficulties.

Man that S rank on Revengeance, looks to be among the hardest achievements yet.

jett

D-Member
Codec calls reveal all kinds of weird shit.

Otacon is a ladies man now...wat.

Is this game worth it as a Metal Gear fan rather than a fan of Action Hack n Slash?

If you don't care at all for DMC/Ninja Gaiden-like games, then probably not.

:eek:

And no way to find out how many left hands we've collected?! :(

Collection option in the title screen. Only the red-marked hands count for that, remember.

Now you can play on Normal and not stumble through the game's tougher encounters, screwing up whatever intended cool effect it was intented to have on your first playthrough

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
To anyone that's played it, can you accidently destroy collectable arms? I'm always OCD about stuff like that and I want to know if i can go crazy cutting shit or if I need to be more precise.

RS4-

To anyone that's played it, can you accidently destroy collectable arms? I'm always OCD about stuff like that and I want to know if i can go crazy cutting shit or if I need to be more precise.

Yeah you can destroy them by accident; I've restarted a few times to make sure I get them.

C
Collection option in the title screen. Only the red-marked hands count for that, remember.

Lolol, thanks! Didn't really explore the collections menu.

Top Bottom