• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
There's an achievement for getting S ranks on every encounter on Revengeance difficulty.

:O

... I guess this is one Platinum game I won't be... platinuming...

I will never get that one. I've only managed to get S ranks on a couple encounters in the demo on Normal, I can't even imagine the amount of time, practice, and persistence it would take to get all S ranks three difficulty levels higher than that.

jett

D-Member
S-ranking every mission will take weeks if not months. I don't even want to imagine.

And in Revengeance? lol.

halogamer

Banned
I thought the game was ok. The only thing I hated about it was that some of the enemies feel like sponges where you keep hitting them and it feels like you're not doing anything.

jett, is it okay if I add your impressions to the OP sometime? I think it's a good way to let people know what they're in for.

Oh, and by the way: if anyone makes a GIF of themselves doing something crazy ingame, PM it to me and I'll link it in the "GIFs" section of the OP ;)

MormaPope

Banned
Are Raidens parents ever elaborated on in the story? Are they elaborated on ever in the series? I know Solidus killed his parents I believe.

RS4-

is it that hard to get an s rank on normal? I mean, it's the same of the demo or is it haarder?

Personally I've only been able to S rank maybe a handful of encounters. Taking no damage gives you 1500 points.

I think it's just hard to do it for now without knowing what numbers you have to hit for combos and completion time. I mean, it's doable if you can ignore one aspect (say, the combo meter, if you maintain the no damage); so you can just focus on getting all the perfect parries into zandatsu thing, along with the completion time.

jett

D-Member
is it that hard to get an s rank on normal? I mean, it's the same of the demo or is it haarder?

Actually the requirements are more lenient, but I think it would take a lot of time to find out the best way to S-rank every single encounter.

jett, is it okay if I add your impressions to the OP sometime? I think it's a good way to let people know what they're in for.

Oh, and by the way: if anyone makes a GIF of themselves doing something crazy ingame, PM it to me and I'll link it in the "GIFs" section of the OP ;)

Go ahead!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Whoah, you seriously can't change weapons on the fly? That's a fair boner-killer if true.

It's the opposite for me. There's a reason I love Bayonetta's weapon system 10x more than whatever the hell the DMC series has trying to do with its swizz army knife approach.

zainetor

Banned
Personally I've only been able to S rank maybe a handful of encounters. Taking no damage gives you 1500 points.

I think it's just hard to do it for now without knowing what numbers you have to hit for combos and completion time. I mean, it's doable if you can ignore one aspect (say, the combo meter, if you maintain the no damage); so you can just focus on getting all the perfect parries into zandatsu thing, along with the completion time.

the no damage bonus, is going to be a chimera if you play on Veryhard/revengeance, i guess.

-Winnie-

It's the opposite for me. There's a reason I love Bayonetta's weapon system 10x more than whatever the hell the DMC series has trying to do with its swizz army knife approach.

I'm far more used to the DMC approach, but with out-of-battle weapon switching, does that mean that you just make the choice of "I'd like to use the Sais for the next fight", rather than "This enemy is far away right now, I'll pull towards him with the Sais and then switch back to my sword"? I don't really see the advantage to not being able to change in realtime.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
There's 22 titles to be earned. Curious to see what is required to get them.

Going to jump into Rev. difficulty and see how it goes now that I can unlock more stuff. I only have three other unlockable suits so far, and only nine skills. Apparently you get more as you collect left hands? Not sure about that just yet.

re: wigs
Wig A is infinite items, Wig B is infinite FC

First B rank I've seen

So does the game let you know when there's hidden encounters you've missed?

jett

D-Member
Okay, I just died in the first 10 seconds in very hard. The FUG!? The parry window is much shorter now, lolz.

Dahbomb

You really should add in the OP how the whole in-game timer works. Seems like a lot of people are busting their nut over it despite it being a 8+ hour game.

I'm far more used to the DMC approach, but with out-of-battle weapon switching, does that mean that you just make the choice of "I'd like to use the Sais for the next fight", rather than "This enemy is far away right now, I'll pull towards him with the Sais and then switch back to my sword"? I don't really see the advantage to not being able to change in realtime.
You technically have two weapons. You keep your HF blade and can use another optional weapon with it. Like if you want to use Sai + Blade, you can do it. Unfortunately, the side weapon button is mapped with the High attack button so it mean you can only use Quick attack with the Blade while using the High attack for the other weapon. Personally, i never felt the need to switch weapons in-game, i was perfectly fine with this system.

You really should add in the OP how the whole in-game timer works. Seems like a lot of people are busting their nut over it despite it being a 8+ hour game.

I'll add it to ths FAQ, but considering how many questions that are asked here that could be answered by reading the OP, I doubt it'll help much.

Endo Punk

Definitely going to start on Hard. I want a challenge so badly.

Okay, I just died in the first 10 seconds in very hard. The FUG!? The parry window is much shorter now, lolz.

What now big shot?
:p

jett

D-Member
you mean the block or the counter?

The counter.

How about enemy placement/mixups or they just upped the damage?

The prologue is vastly different. You also take a heck of a lot more damage. Not sure what Revengeance is going to bring.

Do they remove the glowing red eye flash before enemies attack on higher difficulties?

I'm not sure, I'd have to reach the first chapter proper to tell you.

You also don't have anything but the basics.

Right, but they're presenting an enemy configuration that would be hard regardless. :p

Dahbomb

Bayonetta pretty much copied DMC3s system of 4 weapons at once. Newer DMC games give you everything at once which means 7-8 weapons at once.

Its two different systems and arguments can be made in favor of both. Technically speaking MGR uses neither of these systems and uses a Darksiders 2 system of having a primary plus secondary with the secondary swappable via menu, non-real time.

It almost seems like they could have implemented weapon switching between all the secondary weapons because loading into the menu and out with the weapon is pretty fast...

RS4-

First B rank I've seen

So does the game let you know when there's hidden encounters you've missed?

As far as I can tell, you only know when you get your end chapter ranking.

And it looks like you don't get notifications for all of them. I know I missed one for sure when I ignored the codec (chapter 1 I think). But later levels, I never got the conversation and missed a few. So I guess there are ways to trigger them or something.

Regarding the red/yellow warning from enemies in higher difficulties: they're still there.

And yeah, prologue, you always start with the basics.

edit - I'll assume that restarting checkpoints do not reset your alert count.

zainetor

Banned
Yeah, ninja gaiden also had this prologue thing, where you had nothing.
It was for sure, the hardest part of the game on master ninja.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
As far as I can tell, you only know when you get your end chapter ranking.

That's what I meant yeah.

And it looks like you don't get notifications for all of them. I know I missed one for sure when I ignored the codec (chapter 1 I think). But later levels, I never got the conversation and missed a few. So I guess there are ways to trigger them or something.

ah I see

Just gonna treat it like bayonetta and backtrack every now and then and see how many I can find on my initial run

There's no alfheim equivalent right? Just finding VR missions like ZoE2.

Speaking of which how many VR missions have you unlocked?

RS4-

ah I see

Just gonna treat it like bayonetta and backtrack every now and then and see how many I can find on my initial run

There's no alfheim equivalent right? Just finding VR missions like ZoE2.

Speaking of which how many VR missions have you unlocked?

Alfheim was the challenge rooms right? Yeah, nothing like that, except for VR stuff. I'm 14/20 for VR unlocks.

And I'm getting trolled really fucking hard in this game. It won't let me progress, I keep on dying at the
ninja run scene after the wolf fight, with the collapsing bridge. I keep on dying at the third section after the QTE lol

Carbonox

Do the enemies in Revengeance mode get their own rage mode ala enemy triggers in Devil May Cry? Just for added #BrokenController on top of the already obscene damage they do.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
So now that I've beat the story the first time through I'm going to go back and get the rest of the hands/links/VR missions I missed.

One question though: How does one unlock the wigs that were supposed to be in this game?

RS4-

what does enemies remaining mean on this results screen?

did you miss chance to kill 2 so guess this links to idea of no kill run with wooden sword dlc

I have no idea unfortunately. I don't know what actually counts towards it, maybe it's graded fights only. Even then, I'm not sure how I missed two unless they died to enemy attacks.

Only reason why I think it's graded fights is because there are some sections that have enemies respawn.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I have no idea unfortunately. I don't know what actually counts towards it, maybe it's graded fights only. Even then, I'm not sure how I missed two unless they died to enemy attacks.

Only reason why I think it's graded fights is because there are some sections that have enemies respawn.

I had 4 left alive when I'd finished the game. I remember specifically a part where I avoided a group of 4 enemies because I was going for a trophy. For the most part I went right into battles. I think this number has to do with how many you didn't kill throughout the entire game.

RS4-

I had 4 left alive when I'd finished the game. I remember specifically a part where I avoided a group of 4 enemies because I was going for a trophy. For the most part I went right into battles. I think this number has to do with how many you didn't kill throughout the entire game.

Which section? I can think of two areas where I may have missed them. I'll assume its either
the part where you're using the dwarf gekko or the darkened tunnel where you can't use AR

chrono01

Apparently the soundtrack from the Limited Edition is the real thing! There's going to be two different soundtracks, one that contains the instrumental variations and the other with vocal tracks. There are no repeats, so each soundtrack will be exclusive with their respective tracks.

The one that comes with the Limited Edition has the instrumental tracks [so there's at least 12 tracks].

It's nice to see a LE that actually contains a proper soundtrack and not a sample. Thank you, Platinum Games. Thank you.

http://platinumgames.com/2013/02/14/geared-up-for-metal-and-some-dubstep/

jett

D-Member
Man VR missions are fucking annoying. The randomness factor of the game is amplified greatly in this bullshit. Not sure if I want to pay for more of this crap.

One question though: How does one unlock the wigs that were supposed to be in this game?

I think you need to get a special title(like the names previous MGS games give you). I got the brown wig, not sure what I did.

Top Bottom