• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

rpgb46

It's not true. Hitting pause and clicking help shows every move you have with clear button prompts how to perform them and text descriptions. They also put tags on any newly purchased moves, so you can scroll to them quickly.

I'll repeat. This game does have a move list.

That's fair enough, but for me to miss this by it simply not being in the upgrade screen is a dumb oversight.

Clicking the help option never occurred to me, I just assumed it was for a tutorial or the like. Still that doesn't help the games other glaring problems.

And I honestly don't mean to troll. I adore Metal Gear. I loved bayonetta and Vanquish.I wanted to love this game just as much as the next guy.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It's not true. Hitting pause and clicking help shows every move you have with clear button prompts how to perform them and text descriptions. They also put tags on any newly purchased moves, so you can scroll to them quickly.

I'll repeat. This game does have a move list.

Hilarious or sad, I'm not sure.

haikira

Thought i'd provide a little proof. I didn't scroll down to more advance stuff, just in case people consider later moves a spoiler. So i kept to showing just moves from the demo. Also, i was wrong about text descriptions, but so far i haven't required any. The move list will update, with whatever moves you have unlocked.

imag0661wkf3s.jpg

Quoting myself because i was last post on a page and i want to bury any notion there's no move list.

joe2187

Banned
That's fair enough, but for me to miss this by it simply not being in the upgrade screen is a dumb oversight.

Clicking the help option never occurred to me, I just assumed it was for a tutorial or the like. Still that doesn't help the games other glaring problems.

And I honestly don't mean to troll. I adore Metal Gear. I loved bayonetta and Vanquish.I wanted to love this game just as much as the next guy.

Stop

haikira

I do agree that it should be better advertised. I found it by mistake actually. Also, i wasn't trying be a dick, i just love this game and wanted to make sure people knew it was in the game.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
How do you review a game without checking out all the options anyways?

I mean you'd figure a reviewer would check out the "help" option if only to see what it offers players who need it.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
6/10 seems reasonable due to it's length. Beat it in 4 fucking hours. I am not the type to want to play through anything more than 1 time. This should not be a full priced game because it is way too skimpy on content. I usually put in a longer session than that for my first session of a new MGS game.

That's not to say it was not enjoyable, but even short games are twice as long as this one. Did Konami not realize how ridiculously short this game was? There really needs to be a standard $40 dollar game for situations like this.

Marlowe89

I hate to rag on you here, but this is just awful.

How could you not check the menu?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
6/10 seems reasonable due to it's length. Beat it in 4 fucking hours. I am not the type to want to play through anything more than 1 time. This should not be a full priced game because it is way too skimpy on content. I usually put in a longer session than that for my first session of a new MGS game.

That's not to say it was not enjoyable, but even short games are twice as long as this one. Did Konami not realize how ridiculously short this game was? There really needs to be a standard $40 dollar game for situations like this.

did you really?

Did you get the 4 hour number from the final results screen?

rpgb46

My review was based on just a single play-through so I could give other my impressions.

Given my experiences, I've recommended that any fan of Metal Gear buy it, though I do think its a flawed game.

My interpretation of a 6 is not the dogshit many would assume.

abrack08

Oh c'mon. I can see where he's coming from. I can't remember the last time I went into the "help" section on the menu of a game; that's not where I would look for a move list. I don't think that's all that unreasonable. Most games that I've played where you can purchase new moves tell you how to do them in the store/upgrade menu or right after you unlock them. Not hidden away. Still a bad decision, (if true, of course).

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Yep.

I knew from the day I played the Eurogamer demo, there will people who will absolutely abhor this game and people who will love it.

It's not the gameplay it is the astonishing lack of content and production values that will be divisive. A 4 hour SP campaign is going to piss a lot of people off.

Re: length.

People do realise this game was put together in just under a year and a half right?

Its pretty amazing how much they fit in to be honest.

edit: Actually It was just a Year. http://youtu.be/-Kpn7egknCI?t=11m25s

It's not four hours long. Stop talking crazy. And there's a surprisingly large amount of content and stuff to unlock. 20 VR missions, secret weapons, suits, rankings, random collectibles and difficulties with remixed enemy waves and attack patterns.

exactly.

ezekial45

Banned
This is not an excuse. What happened to learning how to play a game?

People like accessibility (MGS4 had the auto aim feature). I'm not saying it's gonna be a problem for me, cause it's not, but I understand how people who may not be too into the genre may be put off by it.

jett

D-Member
It's not the gameplay it is the astonishing lack of content and production values that will be divisive. A 4 hour SP campaign is going to piss a lot of people off.

It's not four hours long. Stop talking crazy. And there's a surprisingly large amount of content and stuff to unlock. 20 VR missions, secret weapons, suits, rankings, random collectibles and difficulties with remixed enemy waves and attack patterns.

Endo Punk

People like accessibility (MGS4 had the auto aim feature). I'm not saying it's gonna be a problem for me, cause it's not, but I understand how people who may not be too into the genre may be put off by it.

That's why you start on easy first. Stop worrying about people who are not into the genre, this game is made for people into the genre.

jett

D-Member
I don't understand how you even beat the final boss without knowing how to dodge. My condolences, that must've been really annoying for you. :p

Chamber

love on your sleeve

That's different. If you want to say the game is counterintuitive, that's one thing. Don't say the game doesn't have a move list when it does or a dodge button(s) when it does. These things are factually in the game.

joe2187

Banned
Oh c'mon. I can see where he's coming from. I can't remember the last time I went into the "help" section on the menu of a game; that's not where I would look for a move list. I don't think that's all that unreasonable. Most games that I've played where you can purchase new moves tell you how to do them in the store/upgrade menu or right after you unlock them. Not hidden away. Still a bad decision, (if true, of course).

Alright, I guess I dont have the game yet, so I dont know what is true or not. But reviews can really factor into some peoples opinion of the game, if you're going to do a review at least be thorough.

Since he only has a few reviews on his blog, and the Dead Space 3 review he's done is missing all of it's images.

I give him a 6/10

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

It's not 4 hours though. The timer at the end only measures the cumulative times you clocked for every ranked section.

It doesn't include cutscenes and it doesn't include replays

4 hours SP campaign is going to piss off alot of people who lack the ability to perceive time though I agree

I'm no professional reviewer

but when I can't find a menu option that should be there I read the manual or look online before posting an opinion about it.

but you'd probably think that's too much work too. If the game doesn't beat me over the head with it during the course of a normal playthrough then that's bad game design I guess.

Dahbomb

So the "review" talked down on the game for not having an evasive technique (which it does), not having a movelist (which it does) and being only 5 hours long first time (which its not unless you jotted down the timer at the end).

You would fit right in with today's game journalists.

jett

D-Member
It's not 4 hours though. The timer at the end only measures the cumulative times you clocked for every ranked section.

4 hours SP campaign is going to piss alot of people who lack the ability to perceive time off though I agree

It doesn't include going into the sub-menu, upgrade menu,codec calls, or spending time doing VR missions, either. Strictly the fastest times in each enemy encounter. I wonder if it even includes the time you spend outside of battling. I timed myself as having spent about 10 hours playing the game from start to finish, but the final timer only showed five hours and a half.

abrack08

4 hours SP campaign is going to piss alot of people who lack the ability to perceive time off though I agree

I'm no professional reviewer

but when I can't find a menu option that should be there I read the manual or look online before posting an opinion about it.

but you'd probably think that's too much work too. If the game doesn't beat me over the head with it during the course of a normal playthrough then that's bad game design I guess.

He's not a professional reviewer either, as far as I can tell. It's certainly not a professional level review. I was coming at it from the angle of "internet dude posting his opinion". And, if someone can't find the move list, that's a valid complaint, even if it does end up being hidden in the "help" menu. So, he was wrong about it not existing, but it's still a problem that people think it doesn't exist. Good job insulting me for no reason though. I'm totally lazy and want the game to beat me over the head with stuff, simply because I said I could see why he wouldn't think to check the "help" section of the menu, which is usually useless (in my experience).

All I'm saying is that if there's a movelist, and the game never tells you that it exists, and it's not an an obvious area in the menu, it's a problem.

What I don't get about this timer talk is don't people have a sense of time passing as they play a game?

If a game says ive been playing for 2 hours and ive actually been playing for 4 id think id know that intuitively, even without referencing a clock or watch.

If you are saying the game is short without playing it based on these images fair enough, but If you was the person playing surely you should know you have been playing for longer than the counter suggests.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
What I don't get about this timer talk is don't people have a sense of time passing as they play a game.

If a game says ive been playing for 2 hours and ive actually been playing for 4 id think id know that intuitively, even without referencing a clock or watch.

If you are saying the game is short without playing it based on these images fair enough, but If you was the person playing surely you should know you have been playing for longer than the counter suggests.

Yeah, I don't get how people can just go by the timer. I know Madworld said I finished in 3.5 hours and I instantly knew that was wrong.

Endo Punk

What I don't get about this timer talk is don't people have a sense of time passing as they play a game?

I get so absorbed that I can never tell how much time has passed lol. Luckily for me it's the quality of the experience that matters.

So the "review" talked down on the game for not having an evasive technique (which it does), not having a movelist (which it does) and being only 5 hours long first time (which its not unless you jotted down the timer at the end).

You would fit right in with today's game journalists.
I feel many reviews will be like this.

Kureizu

If a game says ive been playing for 2 hours and ive actually been playing for 4 id think id know that intuitively, even without referencing a clock or watch

This.

ezekial45

Banned
That's why you start on easy first. Stop worrying about people who are not into the genre, this game is made for people into the genre.
No, it's made for people who are into Metal Gear foremost, AND for fans of the action genre. This is the first MG game as a pure action title. I don't think it should be that hard to see that people who are MG fans might be put off by it.

That's different. If you want to say the game is counterintuitive, that's one thing. Don't say the game doesn't have a move list when it does or a dodge button(s) when it does. These things are factually in the game.

That's not what I'm saying at all. I also never said it doesn't have a move list or dodge moves. The only thing I said was a dedicated dodge button, a la Bayonetta or DmC.

I'm not disputing any of the merits this game has. All I'm saying is that I could understand how people might have a hard time with this game.

abrack08

Agreed. I started Uncharted 3 yesterday. Decided to try to marathon it this weekend. I played from ~9:45 to Noon, then 1 to 4:30, then before bed like 10-1130 or so. When I looked at my file today, my play time was 4 hours and I was 60% done. I get, if a timer says 4.5 hours and it really took 6, how that little time over several sessions would go unnoticed. But if it's really the difference between 5 hours on the timer and 9-10 hours for real, I don't get that mistake.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
No, it's made for people who are into Metal Gear foremost, AND for fans of the action genre. This is the first MG game as a pure action title. I don't think it should be that hard to see that people who are MG fans might be put off by it.

You think fans of the Metal Gear series will be put off by clunky, awkward button combinations?

It doesn't need a dodge button, the game was built around parrying, not dodging because the Platinum Games devs thought dodging wasn't badass enough for Raiden.

Endo Punk

Well Im not put off and adore the Metal Gear universe. As long as fans don't go in expecting a stealth game I believe they would like it too.

Doesn't the full game have pretty a pretty comprehensive series of tutorials? I can understand the demo confusion since it only had the blade mode VR tutorial. What's not covered in-game?

Top Bottom