• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Carbonox

nqpNYdD.jpg

wat

:lol :lol

http://metalgearsolid.nl/?p=5880&ut...n-ebay-including-the-biggest-goodie-ever-made

France gets a PS3 bundle with Rising which I didn't know.

SkylineRKR

For me is the game just seems highly inconsistent in some of the mechanics. it could just be me though.

It may feel mashy at first and the lack of an evasive button might be strange but I found the parry feature to be rather good. With proper timing you can be invincible. Its just that I have a hard time with battles that have more than one enemy because of the very close camera.

RS4-

But then I hear starting on Hard from fresh is not advised? Or is that wrong. I dunno which difficulty to start with. Fuck it, YOLO HARD MODE.

Hard is a good place to start if you're familiar with games like this. Very hard wouldn't be much fun without the upgrades and bonuses. You can die in just a few hits with default stats.

Dahbomb

Yea I will go Hard mode on first time. This is looking like a case of DmC where Normal is Easy and Hard is Normal.

Revengeance looks balls hard though. I cannot wait for the world first no kill Revengeance S rank walkthrough.

TreIII

Not a big fan of Metal Gear (haven't played one since MGS2) but I can not wait for this.

It's funny, I wouldn't touch this game if it wasn't Platinum.

Likewise. I haven't played Metal Gear since the days of MGS2 and Ghost Babel, and honestly have had no real interest in the series since then.

Needless to say, the moment P* was bought on board was the day that this game really ended up on my radar.

JPKellams

Quick roll call for Tomorrow's event. What time are people showing up?

I want to make sure to get the chance to meet and thank everyone for the support.

Robot Pants

Grrrr. Called my local streetdate-breaking game store. They had/have it. Only for 360 though. PS3 already sold out.
Gotta wait til tomorrow. :( :( :( :( :(

demidar

Amen. I can't wait to vent some frustration about a certain boss' phase on Revengeance difficulty. 3 hours and counting and still haven't gotten past it. I have never yelled so much at a game in my life.

Damn I really wish I could play this game.

It may feel mashy at first and the lack of an evasive button might be strange but I found the parry feature to be rather good. With proper timing you can be invincible. Its just that I have a hard time with battles that have more than one enemy because of the very close camera.
There is a skill that lets you evade attacks. You have to purchase it first though.

Ferr986

If you abuse the health packs, YES.

If you decide to completely avoid using them, it can be a bit challenging.

Thanks! Thats good to know. I'll probably do that if it gets too easy.

Im gonna replay the shit out of it anyways...

NIN90

Dat feel when you want the weekend to end quickly because there's an awesome game out next week.
It's quite conflicting.

Salaadin

So does anyone actually own the LE lamp yet? Theres a few unboxing videos and it looks great but im curious about the quality of it.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I'm getting screwed on the X360 version.

Near final boss in the Metal Gear it prompts B+Y yet nothing happens so it becomes game over. I've tested 2 controllers and nothing works. :\

Didn't have this issue on the PS3 copy.

how do you perform it? From the video it reminded me of ninja gaiden 2 evade move.

Press X/A or Square/X at the same time.

Took a break and went back to try an beat it. This has to be the most frustrating fights I have ever experienced. Jett, PM me with whatever tactics you used. I'm about to put my hand through my TV. The game was fine before this. I think I died maybe 2 twice. Now this fight I am at least over 30 retries.

zainetor

Banned
Press X/A or Square/X at the same time.

Took a break and went back to try an beat it. This has to be the most frustrating fights I have ever experienced. Jett, PM me with whatever tactics you used. I'm about to put my hand through my TV. The game was fine before this. I think I died maybe 2 twice. Now this fight I am at least over 30 retries.

no, i mean the evasive move that you're supposed to buy.
Is it the same thing of the default one?

jett

D-Member
My mostly spoiler-free final impressions:

This is just strange release, hard to say where to start. A failed KojiPro title salvaged by Platinum Games to the best of their ability under a limited amount of time. I'll make it easy on myself and jot down some bulletpoints:

-Combat is fucking awesome. As everyone knows it's parry/defense heavy, although once you get a certain ability it'd be fairly easy to go on a crazy rampage. There's a heavy variety of enemy types and they all patterns to exploit. Cutting them into hundreds of pieces and then stealing their life force never gets old. Oh and contrary to the demo, you can grab several cores consecutively, so far I've only managed two at once, don't know if three or more is possible. I haven't had the time to analyze the game completely. The downside is that you can't change weapons on the fly, you can't even enter the menu while moving, you have to be still. It's kind of a drag sometimes, especially when you get flying enemies and you have to change to the Sais(they function as DmC's angel grab). All in all it has a pretty fantastic feel and flow and there's a lot to extract out of this. Bosses are fucking awesome, I won't say anything else. Even the much derided final boss, I thought it was pretty great myself. :p

-The level design is pretty interesting for a game of this sort. It's not an "arena" game like a DMC title or Bayonetta even. All the levels are relatively big and wide for the genre with a lot of stealth opportunities(which I didn't bother, because, why would I :p). PG really did their best to introduce a Metal Gear feel to the game, I think they did an admirable job. There's a lot of stuff scattered and hidden in the levels. Items, upgrades, collectibles, etc. If you want that stuff you'll have to explore every nook and cranny to get 'em, thankfully they show in visor mode. Only problem is that VR missions are also collected this way, and they don't even show in your visor. Don't know what's up with that.

-Graphics are pretty good. 60fps goes a long way in elevating the game's assets. Certain places have a very "clean" look to them that reminded me of MGS2. There's a lot of awesome particle effects to be found in the game. Really, it just looks great to me, good use of great art design to offset the technological drawbacks that 60fps demands.

-Music, well, take it or leave it. It's speed metal/rock, with a lot of vocal tracks. It somehow fits the game, and some tracks are actually pretty cool. You get pumped up for sure. Just like a MGS title, the music dynamically changes depending on the situation.

-Story. All right, this is simply an unmitigated disaster. You'll either hate it or you'll find it unintentionally hilarious. Thankfully I'm in the second camp. If you cared about Raiden's plight in MGS2 and 4 you will not like what they have done here. :p This is some good ol' fashioned character assassination. The cutscenes are really fun though, they have a lot of flash and energy, they're really well-made. It's not boring, at least. You'll want to watch them once. Oh and there's a lot of them. All codec is optional, and by the way there's a lot of information revealed there regarding Raiden himself and even what goes on in the game. The story can be pretty disjointed, when you start a new chapters it feels like a cutscene is missing, you aren't quite sure what is going on. It's weird. Codecs sometimes fill in those blanks. Unfortunately they're not funny or entertaining like MGS3's. Your support team is fairly meh. At least it's all optional.

I guess that's about it. Overall it's a great hack 'n slash within the trappings of MGS. PG is to be commended for salvaging the title as much as they could. Once you reach the last third of the game you'll notice where they cut corners to release the game as soon as possible. The whole package isn't quite prefect due to its origins I guess, but it's still pretty fucking great. If you liked the demo you'll like this.

Oh and one big change from the demo is how the scoring is calculated. I don't have a handle on it yet, it seems to differ greatly from one encounter to another. Oh and you're hit with so many random bullets throughout the game that that no-damage bonus might as well not exist. :p

So, compared to normal mode in Bayonetta, MGR normal is easier? (didnt play DmC)

Yeah way easier. Hell, hard is easy if you play it maxxed out. I just S-ranked both Bladewolf and Mistral. I'm gonna forego this shit and go to very hard, you don't even get any remixed encounters here. Dahbomb is right that hard is the true normal. Now I feel silly for bothering with normal mode. :p

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
There's still people that actively hate Raiden? I feel fairly indifferent to what goes on plot-wise in MGR.

I'm sure there are people that still hate Raiden. I'm pretty apathetic to the character. I used to hate him. I didn't think that strapping him into a cyborg ninja suit in MGS4 made him any cooler, but it also didn't make me actively dislike him anymore. He's pretty much an open canvas to me.

Drewfonse

I'll be playing this on Normal my first time, and I'm someone who is fairly proficient at this type of game. Why? I'd like to be sure that I will have at least two full play throughs on different difficulty levels. From the sounds of it, the final Boss on Very Hard will be quite tough. If I can get through it on Normal and Hard, I'll be happy.

RS4-

About to beat the game, didn't bother to buy any of the weapons just yet. I just jump and slash to attack the flying dudes lol.

s-bojan

Banned
That pretty much is the story of MGR :p

It's just that the nonsense gets really crazy towards the end.

The end fight really has Resident Evil 5 vibe.
I did like the this Raiden more than MGS2 and MGS4 Raiden. VA still sucks, though.

RS4-

There's 22 titles to be earned. Curious to see what is required to get them.

Going to jump into Rev. difficulty and see how it goes now that I can unlock more stuff. I only have three other unlockable suits so far, and only nine skills. Apparently you get more as you collect left hands? Not sure about that just yet.

re: wigs
Wig A is infinite items, Wig B is infinite FC

Duffyside

Banned
There's an achievement for getting S ranks on every encounter on Revengeance difficulty.

:O

... I guess this is one Platinum game I won't be... platinuming...

Top Bottom