• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

So from those that have the game, is there a general consensus? I'm most likely getting the game, but I want to know whether to get it at launch or wait for the Platinum Price Drop™.

Duffyside

Banned
Heh, just 30 hours away from my most anticipated game of the year, and I still can't decide how I'm going to buy this thing. Maybe I can just wait until the PSN release, though who knows how long that will be...

So from those that have the game, is there a general consensus? I'm most likely getting the game, but I want to know whether to get it at launch or wait for the Platinum Price Drop™.

We have a lot of preorders on this, I think this will be Platinums first game that breaks that price drop trend. Granted, Halo 4 went to $40 a month after launch..everything goes on sale after a couple weeks.

I have seen that attack. there is another one where i roll towards an enemy and slash them to lead into a combo. it seems to only happen every once in a while.

It's dependent on distance, or atleast it was in the demo. Pressing light attack within a couple yard of an enemy will make Raiden roll/somersault/etc to get close.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
It looks so cheap looking. I am glad I am not buying the special edition. I would love a steel book case, artbook, soundtrack and maybe a raiden sword letter opener or something small. That lamp looks like it would end up in my closet filled with special edition stuff to give away later

We have a lot of preorders on this, I think this will be Platinums first game that breaks that price drop trend. Granted, Halo 4 went to $40 a month after launch..everything goes on sale after a couple weeks.

Good to hear this game is getting a lot of preorders.

It looks so cheap looking. I am glad I am not buying the special edition. I would love a steel book case, artbook, soundtrack and maybe a raiden sword letter opener or something small. That lamp looks like it would end up in my closet filled with special edition stuff to give away later

Good to hear this game is getting a lot of preorders.

Wal-Mart's pre-order is a soundtrack. Not sure if its different from the CE.

Glad to hear about the preorders. I'm really hoping this title is a huge success for them.

haikira

Just finished it on normal. 4H35M and with 15 continues. Absolutely loved it. Quite tired, but here's a few quick impressions, from coming right off it. I'll maybe post some better written impressions later on.

Despite being 3 for 3 below, i'd consider the bad just nit picking mostly. Like i said, i thought this game was absolutely fantastic.

The Good

Having played through the demo about 30 times, i had a feeling i'd love the combat and i was definitely right. I know normal doesn't exactly push you to squeeze every drop there is to offer, but i think it's still a good challenge and i never got bored of the combat. Enemy variety is good and keeps you on your toes too. Simply put, i found the combat just incredibly satisfying.

Almost every boss was fantastic.

With the performance in mind, i thought the visuals were great.

The Bad

Things get a bit to silly later on. Yes, even in comparison to stopping submarines and mount snakemore.

Voice acting got really spotty at times.

There's one or two set piece events with running, which i found a little tedious and redundant.

d0c_zaius

I love this game but this part is mad annoying:

the second armstrong blade cut. it just wont work. one hit kill with a tiny timing window for something not needed for the entire game? platinum pls! in fact the whole final battle is just dumb as hell. the more I play its just pissing me off.

and now that I've beat it, heres my mini impressions:

its a great game, that just feels good to play. Some scenes drag on, especially towards the end, while others are too short, but everything comes together in a way where it doesn't get old. I barely messed with the other weapons, and normal difficulty was way easy, so I can see myself playing through everything just like I did Vanquish.

good job platinum and konami!

Voice acting got really spotty at times.

george.. i..don't know anyone in the universe that talks like him..
Thanks for the impressions, looking forward to immersing myself in this game!
I did exactly that on Saturday, really enjoyed my time with DmC, despite all the fan outcry.
you're clueless if you thought the "fan outcry" would effect YOUR enjoyment of the game. absolutely clueless.

JPKellams

Just got done with two days of rehearsals for the band.

Let me just say that if you are not planning on coming to CityWalk tomorrow for some reason, make every effort to be there in the first 150.

It will be an epic rock show. The band sounds absolutely incredible. And there are going to be some legit rock stars on stage and in the crowd... If you thought Video Games Live was awesome... Wait until you see a full band kick your ass with the MGR soundtrack. It's gonna be awesome.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.

Let me just say that if you are not planning on coming to CityWalk tomorrow for some reason, make every effort to be there in the first 150.

It will be an epic rock show. The band sounds absolutely incredible. And there are going to be some legit rock stars on stage and in the crowd... If you thought Video Games Live was awesome... Wait until you see a full band kick you ass with the MGR soundtrack. It's gonna be awesome.

I wish I could go but I am stuck on the east coast
When it comes to DLC, takeoff is always until the last day. The artbooks are limited to however many were sent to each store from Konami. We hardly got any to cover out preorders, granted they were already limited.
Not enough to cover preorders? I hope I can get mine and hope some GameStop employee tries not to BS me about it

It will be an epic rock show. The band sounds absolutely incredible. And there are going to be some legit rock stars on stage and in the crowd... If you thought Video Games Live was awesome... Wait until you see a full band kick you ass with the MGR soundtrack. It's gonna be awesome.
Awesome?

Jarmel

Banned

This makes me sad.

ahm998

I have bad feeling that when everyone get 360 & PS3 ver.

Konami will announced Wii U ver.

I will wait 2 month to buy this game , if not announced for Wii U i will get it on PS3 .

There is many things i want to buy (NFS:MW,MH3U,CV:MOF,LM:2,GOW:A).

rvy

Banned
My mostly spoiler-free final impressions:

This is just strange release, hard to say where to start. A failed KojiPro title salvaged by Platinum Games to the best of their ability under a limited amount of time. I'll make it easy on myself and jot down some bulletpoints:

-Combat is fucking awesome. As everyone knows it's parry/defense heavy, although once you get a certain ability it'd be fairly easy to go on a crazy rampage. There's a heavy variety of enemy types and they all patterns to exploit. Cutting them into hundreds of pieces and then stealing their life force never gets old. Oh and contrary to the demo, you can grab several cores consecutively, so far I've only managed two at once, don't know if three or more is possible. I haven't had the time to analyze the game completely. The downside is that you can't change weapons on the fly, you can't even enter the menu while moving, you have to be still. It's kind of a drag sometimes, especially when you get flying enemies and you have to change to the Sais(they function as DmC's angel grab). All in all it has a pretty fantastic feel and flow and there's a lot to extract out of this. Bosses are fucking awesome, I won't say anything else. Even the much derided final boss, I thought it was pretty great myself. :p

-The level design is pretty interesting for a game of this sort. It's not an "arena" game like a DMC title or Bayonetta even. All the levels are relatively big and wide for the genre with a lot of stealth opportunities(which I didn't bother, because, why would I :p). PG really did their best to introduce a Metal Gear feel to the game, I think they did an admirable job. There's a lot of stuff scattered and hidden in the levels. Items, upgrades, collectibles, etc. If you want that stuff you'll have to explore every nook and cranny to get 'em, thankfully they show in visor mode. Only problem is that VR missions are also collected this way, and they don't even show in your visor. Don't know what's up with that.

-Graphics are pretty good. 60fps goes a long way in elevating the game's assets. Certain places have a very "clean" look to them that reminded me of MGS2. There's a lot of awesome particle effects to be found in the game. Really, it just looks great to me, good use of great art design to offset the technological drawbacks that 60fps demands.

-Music, well, take it or leave it. It's speed metal/rock, with a lot of vocal tracks. It somehow fits the game, and some tracks are actually pretty cool. You get pumped up for sure. Just like a MGS title, the music dynamically changes depending on the situation.

-Story. All right, this is simply an unmitigated disaster. You'll either hate it or you'll find it unintentionally hilarious. Thankfully I'm in the second camp. If you cared about Raiden's plight in MGS2 and 4 you will not like what they have done here. :p This is some good ol' fashioned character assassination. The cutscenes are really fun though, they have a lot of flash and energy, they're really well-made. It's not boring, at least. You'll want to watch them once. Oh and there's a lot of them. All codec is optional, and by the way there's a lot of information revealed there regarding Raiden himself and even what goes on in the game. The story can be pretty disjointed, when you start a new chapters it feels like a cutscene is missing, you aren't quite sure what is going on. It's weird. Codecs sometimes fill in those blanks. Unfortunately they're not funny or entertaining like MGS3's. Your support team is fairly meh. At least it's all optional.

I guess that's about it. Overall it's a great hack 'n slash within the trappings of MGS. PG is to be commended for salvaging the title as much as they could. Once you reach the last third of the game you'll notice where they cut corners to release the game as soon as possible. The whole package isn't quite prefect due to its origins I guess, but it's still pretty fucking great. If you liked the demo you'll like this.

Oh and one big change from the demo is how the scoring is calculated. I don't have a handle on it yet, it seems to differ greatly from one encounter to another. Oh and you're hit with so many random bullets throughout the game that that no-damage bonus might as well not exist. :p

Yeah way easier. Hell, hard is easy if you play it maxxed out. I just S-ranked both Bladewolf and Mistral. I'm gonna forego this shit and go to very hard, you don't even get any remixed encounters here. Dahbomb is right that hard is the true normal. Now I feel silly for bothering with normal mode. :p

Fucking awesome. Come on Friday, get here already.

rvy

Banned
Awww, man. Come on, P*. You gotta let us use that CQC somewhere other than the story mode. Some VR Missions would be nice.

Its a great action game. If you like these kind of games, its awesome and you should play it. I mean i don't like these kind of games (never finished Ninja Gaidens or DMCs) i really liked it. Its easy to play yet deep combat wise. I can't comment on the lenght of the game though.

addyb

I can't wait for this. I've really put myself on a blackout with it as well so far. Besides a couple of GAF opinions I'm going into this blind. I've only watched the original trailer for it.

I've been looking forward to this game for a long time. For a while now nothing has peaked my interest gaming wise. I guess you could call it a mini lull so hopefully will have a blast with this.

Totally off topic but DmC has been off my radar as well. Is that worth a purchase. Bearing in mind I only briefly played the original games. Or should I just get the HD collection.

I just started snake eater again the other night (hd collection )but heard DMC HD isn't as good effort wise.

Carbonox

I can't wait for this. I've really put myself on a blackout with it as well so far. Besides a couple of GAF opinions I'm going into this blind. I've only watched the original trailer for it.

I've been looking forward to this game for a long time. For a while now nothing has peaked my interest gaming wise. I guess you could call it a mini lull so hopefully will have a blast with this.

Totally off topic but DmC has been off my radar as well. Is that worth a purchase. Bearing in mind I only briefly played the original games. Or should I just get the HD collection.

I just started snake eater again the other night (hd collection )but heard DMC HD isn't as good effort wise.

DmC is a good action game so I'd recommend it. It's very easy though. Definitely get the HD collection just so you can play two of the best action games ever released in DMC1 and DMC3 - superior titles to DmC.

deim0s

Wat?

DMC HD collection is fine, an excellent port of the old games and still fun all these years. DmC, I'd encourage you to play it. It is a good game in its own right, it's just that the bosses bore me to death.

Kojima... Why couldn't you direct this game damnit? Lol, I love metal gear solid(not rising...)but I HATE hack n' slash. I'm so torn right now... I want to see what happens with raiden and Sunny(the only characters I think matter) but don't want to suffer through that gameplay...

I kind of wish it wasn't canon. I hope it does well either way. Hopefully the story is awesome and engaging. The character design reminds me of Lost Planet too, which I don't like. *sigh* it's just NOT metal gear solid that I love, not that it's even trying to be, but it hurts my soul that I might miss out on this "canon" stuff.

The characters don't stay TRUE, and aren't as interesting... I guess that'll happen when Kojima let's his baby go free and it changes from story perfection and awesome gameplay, to a less serious story and hack n' slash gameplay. It's just less dynamic compared to all the stuff you could do in metal gear solid games with the different approaches.

And the awesome empowerment that was supposed to come with being a cyborg ninja(I'm having flash backs of playing as grey fox in metal gear solid) is GONE because EVERYONE is a cyborg ninja now with tons of robots n' shit.

I get it from a gameplay standpoint. Imagine playing a game where you are so empowered that the enemy has no chance... But shit. I was so damn excited when they announced the game, but to see the change from developers and everything... It's fallen so far for me. Damn you Kojima!!!!!!

I hope you guys enjoy anyway, hope it does well like I said, and maybe I'll watch the gameplay on YouTube? *shrug*

Top Bottom