• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

haikira

I'm getting this game in a day or two, so I'll just ask this outright.

how's the story for someone who love MGS story, but hate Bayonetta and Vanquish story?

I've got some bad news for you...

EDIT: Early on the game retains the feeling of the Metal Gear series, sort of. But it descends into absolute lunacy as it goes on. That goes double for the final hour. This is from someone who loves the game, by the way.

McNum

Ooh, the Danish game magazine "gameplay" is out for subscribers today, and it has an MGR review. I didn't expect print to beat web for this, but I'll take it.

First of all, it's a 9/10, and gameplay uses the entire scale, by the way.

Choice quotes (translated by me):
"A sophisticated and stupid rollercoaster ride."
"Platinum Games manage to push the PlayStation 3 so far, that we honestly don't need to have the next generation of consoles revealed just yet."
"Verdict: Metal Gear Rising Revengeance is an unrivalled action party where anyone with dismemberable limbs are invited. An incredibly sharp and good looking game with a speed that makes it practically impossible to get bored."
And of course they do the obligatory Monty Python and the Holy Grail reference with cutting arms and legs off enemies and still have them fight back.

Pretty darn solid review, considering how grumpy these guys can be.

So, for those of you who have played it (and can talk about it), does this sound like hyperbole, or not? The next gen comment probably is a little over the top.

Keasar

I've got some bad news for you...

EDIT: Early on the game retains the feeling of the Metal Gear series, sort of. But it descends into absolute lunacy as it goes on. That goes double for the final hour. This is from someone who loves the game, by the way.

Sounds like any Metal Gear game? :p

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Ooh, the Danish game magazine "gameplay" is out for subscribers today, and it has an MGR review. I didn't expect print to beat web for this, but I'll take it.

First of all, it's a 9/10, and gameplay uses the entire scale, by the way.

Choice quotes (translated by me):

And of course they do the obligatory Monty Python and the Holy Grail reference with cutting arms and legs off enemies and still have them fight back.

Pretty darn solid review, considering how grumpy these guys can be.

So, for those of you who have played it (and can talk about it), does this sound like hyperbole, or not? The next gen comment probably is a little over the top.

Did they review the PS3 or 360 version?

Uk- GAF

Seriously why haven't game gone out of business yet? I went in to preorder and first the rep was telling me I needed to buy the the limited edition to get the inferno armor, then he told me it was £45 quid to preorder when the game is advertised for 37.99 on their own website!

I just kissed my teeth and walked out. It's bad enough that they are 2 quid more expensive than anyone else anyway.

I refuse to give that company my money. Im preordering on amazon.

rvy

Banned
Uk- GAF

Seriously why haven't game gone out of business yet? I went in to preorder and first the rep was telling me I needed to buy the the limited edition to get the inferno armor, then he told me it was £45 quid to preorder when the game is advertised for 37.99 on their own website!

I just kissed my teeth and walked out. It's bad enough that they are 2 quid more expensive than anyone else anyway.

I want to give them my money, but they don't want it. Steelbook is UK exclusive :'(

Nemesis_

The next gen comment probably is a little over the top.

iNdWODWixxD0u.gif

OT, but what a strange looking man. Is he a dwarf?

My co-worker is exactly the same. He actually believes and I quote: "kojima is a god among men and his writing is beyond any other game in existence"

He also thinks rising looks naff and "for people with ADHD"

There are some very very strange metal gear fans out there. I understand not liking rising if this isn't your type of game, but the kojima worship is unnerving to say the least.

jett

D-Member
That new trailer reminds me, if you've been watching PG's trailers you've pretty much been spoiled every location, enemy and just about the entire game. Whoopsie.

winstano

That new trailer reminds me, if you've been watching PG's trailers you've pretty much been spoiled every location, enemy and just about the entire game. Whoopsie.

I realised that when they released the "boss battle" trailer. Held off from watching it and went back after I'd finished the game, I'm really glad I did!

demidar

OT, but what a strange looking man. Is he a dwarf?

My co-worker is exactly the same. He actually believes and I quote: "kojima is a god among men and his writing is beyond any other game in existence"

There are some very very strange metal gear fans out there. I understand not liking rising if this isn't your type of game, but the kojima worship is unnerving to say the least.

I've never heard the slang "naff" before, what does it mean?

Also I can't help it if my brain works faster than other people.

Quackula

A guy I'm kinda vaguely acquainted with thinks I'm an idiot for saying the story in the MGS franchise is "a giant clusterfuck of crazy."

Come on, the crazy bullshit is what I like about it.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

It's also a KojiPro philosophy. Remember MGS3's 15+ minutes trailers? yeah...

While i love those trailers, they spoil way too much of the game.

also i hate getting spoiled but when it comes to Metal Gear trailers i can't freaking resist. The same will happen with GZ/TPP/MGSV, i will look at every single screenshot and watch every official trailer of that shit. When it comes to MGS i'm just too weak :/

Nestunt

To be true

I think the trailers had some influence in my decision between DmC and MGR

I am tending towards MGR since I've seen those weapons and moves trailers

and the humanoid bosses are also cool

I miss that in games

Soodanim

This game has gone from "Meh, it's okay but the parrying annoys me" to the first game I've pre-ordered in years. I've even gone with game, because I want that steelbook.

Now to finish Sleeping Dogs and DMC HD Trilogy before this arrives so I have no distrations.

Outside of the demo, I'm basically going in blind too, which just makes me even more excited.

It's also a KojiPro philosophy. Remember MGS3's 15+ minutes trailers? yeah...

While i love those trailers, they spoil way too much of the game.

It's almost like Kojima felt in retrospect that he fucked up by not showing his hand regarding MGS2 when the way those trailers were cut actually served the message of the game but more people just hated that you stopped playing as Snake at some point. In response he just ripped future games bare and showed almost everything from them in all the trailers. The freakin' MGS3 Leipzig 2004 trailer leaked a pivotal plot twist AND THE REVEAL OF SAID TWIST WITHIN 15 SECONDS.

Carbonox

This game has gone from "Meh, it's okay but the parrying annoys me" to the first game I've pre-ordered in years. I've even gone with game, because I want that steelbook.

Now to finish Sleeping Dogs and DMC HD Trilogy before this arrives so I have no distrations.

*brofist*

The only time I've ever preordered with GAME and the only time I will preorder with them.

Threw the book in there as well with the order as it's a fiver cheaper than on Amazon. They don't have a date for the book on their site though despite it coming out on Friday so I hope it still gets delivered on time.

deim0s

A guy I'm kinda vaguely acquainted with thinks I'm an idiot for saying the story in the MGS franchise is "a giant clusterfuck of crazy."

Come on, the crazy bullshit is what I like about it.

It IS part of MGSs charm.

I go: Wow! --> Cool! --> Ok! --> Eh! --> WTF is this shit!? and repeat the cycle till the game ends.

Quackula

It's almost like Kojima felt in retrospect that he fucked up by not showing his hand regarding MGS2 when the way those trailers were cut actually served the message of the game but more people just hated that you stopped playing as Snake at some point. In response he just ripped future games bare and showed almost everything from them in all the trailers. The freakin' MGS3 Leipzig 2004 trailer leaked a pivotal plot twist AND THE REVEAL OF SAID TWIST WITHIN 15 SECONDS.

Wow, remind me to avoid future Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain trailers from here on out!

It IS part of MGSs charm.

I go: Wow! --> Cool! --> Ok! --> Eh! --> WTF is this shit!? and repeat the cycle till the game ends.

Yes! Exactly!

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
No offense intended. I just meant he had strange facial features, not that because he is a dwarf he is strange.

Yes, you're correct. He's an actor from Games of Thrones, and he plays a pretty awesome character.

Anywho, two more days and it's slice and dice time. :)

EDIT: And curse you all who got the game early. Curse you all to hell! >:^(

haikira

Sounds like any Metal Gear game? :p

Trust me, even by Metal Gear standards this game gets pretty weird.

I'm fine with it though. I was able to detach myself from the Solid series and just enjoy this game as another awesome and insane game from PG. It's not as if Raiden wasn't already doing ridiculous stuff in MGS4. They just dial it up to 11 in this game.

Wringing my hands over here about the week long delay in Australia. My retailer could offer no explanation for it. Pretty shitty on the part of the publisher and made it even more tempting than usual to just import it from the UK for like 40% less. God damn.

demidar

Wringing my hands over here about the week long delay in Australia. My retailer could offer no explanation for it. Pretty shitty on the part of the publisher and made it even more tempting than usual to just import it from the UK for like 40% less. God damn.

Hearsay is it was a bulk shipping problem. I said fuck it and imported a UK version.

addyb

Uk- GAF

They are a joke. I've had that discussion with them before. I pre ordered with Amazon as well.

Feindflug

An email has arrived that says that I'll have my copy tomorrow instead of 22th! Can't wait to revengeance everything in my path! ^_^

Ragus

Banned
Crysis 3 and Rising both shoud arrive at the retailer, where I had ordered, on the 21st of february. An hour ago, they posted on their facebook, that they are dispatching one of those games today!

Guess which one didn't arrive at the store yet ;_;.

Has anybody gotten their hands on the GameStop artbook? I'm probably not going to make the midnight launch at my GameStop and will miss out, would have liked to make a comparison between this one and the artbook in the Japanese Premium Package.

RS4-

Regarding enemies missed on the end game stats; mine said 2 but now I remember that I skipped at least 5 in one particular area of chapter 4.

Soodanim

*brofist*

The only time I've ever preordered with GAME and the only time I will preorder with them.

Threw the book in there as well with the order as it's a fiver cheaper than on Amazon. They don't have a date for the book on their site though despite it coming out on Friday so I hope it still gets delivered on time.

I checked the usual sites (Amazon, ShopTo), and a steelbook edition for a couple quid more, and under £40, is pretty damn good for GAME. If they carry on like that, they might actually turn things around. Fun fact: their HQ is a 10 minute walk from my house. So if the delivery is late I will be down there in a flash, tears streaming down my face, shouting until I get a copy in my hands.

L.O.R.D

grrrrr
i keep dieing at final boss
what should i do when i turn to green ? some times i went to his back and activate blade mode and cut throw it
but now every time i use that keep blocking me and attack me
i don't have any health
i have 5 recovery for electrolyte

Hystzen

Man seeing some more gameplay I now really got in my head a Platinum game using a similar combat style set in Star Wars : Clone Wars universe that lightsaber chopping

Top Bottom