• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Dahbomb

What I don't get about this timer talk is don't people have a sense of time passing as they play a game?

If a game says ive been playing for 2 hours and ive actually been playing for 4 id think id know that intuitively, even without referencing a clock or watch.

If you are saying the game is short without playing it based on these images fair enough, but If you was the person playing surely you should know you have been playing for longer than the counter suggests.
Time flies by when I am playing a game. If a game stated I have been playing for 4 hours but I played for 6 I wouldn't feel it. But if it was over 8 hours I would feel it but it would feel like 6.

Ridley327

I still can't remember the convoluted button combinations required to do any advanced CQC stuff in 3 or 4.

You didn't need to in 4, because they actually gave you a button overlay whenever you grabbed someone!

MGS3 was... yeah, making it pressure sensitive wasn't the best tactic.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
You didn't need to in 4, because they actually gave you a button overlay whenever you grabbed someone!

MGS3 was... yeah, making it pressure sensitive wasn't the best tactic.

One of my friends just finished his 14th playthrough of MGS4 and is still finding new CQC moves. The button prompts aren't the only ones that are available.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
All I'm saying is that if there's a movelist, and the game never tells you that it exists, and it's not an an obvious area in the menu, it's a problem.

I disagree.

If it's not documented in the manual or anything then it's a problem. but if it is and this information can be obtained by any intelligent human being putting forth the minimal amount of effort it takes to reference it in the game's documents then I think fault lies with the individual.

Which is why I don't consider it "bad design". The information is there the player just has to be proactive enough to go get it

but people tend to complain about anything these days when it's not 100% idiot proof so I'm not surprised this kind of thinking is so commonplace.

I don't want to argue it further. I'm sure PlatinumGamesJP will see this feedback and relay it to the team so it's not an issue going forward in their releases. (while not a design flaw, but it's good feedback nonetheless)

I just personally find that kind of attitude annoying more than anything. People are too damn lazy to figure out anything for themselves. It's easier to just draw false conclusions and then blame others when you're wrong.

Dahbomb

I knew every CQC move in MGS3...

But yea it was not a great system.

Good thing is that now we all know about the movelist in the game. This should be added in the OT. :p

Time flies by when I am playing a game. If a game stated I have been playing for 4 hours but I played for 6 I wouldn't feel it. But if it was over 8 hours I would feel it but it would feel like 6.

Far enough. I'm never really "immersed" in a game enough to lose track of time, the best thing that can happen is for me to realise ive been playing for hours and not care.

I usually know how long ive been playing to the nearest 30 min block.

RangerBAD

I disagree.

If it's not documented in the manual or anything then it's a problem. but if it is and this information can be obtained by any intelligent human being putting forth the minimal amount of effort it takes to reference it in the game's documents.

Which is why I don't consider it "bad design". The information is there the player just has to be proactive enough to go get it

but people tend to complain about anything these days when it's not 100% idiot proof so I'm not surprised this kind of thinking is so commonplace.

I don't want to argue it further. I'm sure PlatinumGamesJP will see this feedback and relay it to the team so it's not an issue going forward in their releases.

I just personally find that kind of attitude annoying. People are too damn lazy to figure out anything for themselves. It's easier to just draw false conclusions and then blame others when you're wrong.

If it's not being spoon fed to them, then why should they bother? :p

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

It's not even about actively perceiving it during play.

Like I can't imagine a day where I'm not paying attention to the clock due to basic responsibilities.

So if I sit down to play at 2 and stop at 6 to make dinner I know I played for 4 hours, even if I wasn't counting while it was happening.

If it's not being spoon fed to them, then why should they bother? :p

I know you're being facetious but people really think like that.

often with some misplaced sense of righteous indignation to accompany it.

"Well why should I have to do that! It's their job to teach me how to play....." etc etc

It drives me nuts.

abrack08

I disagree.

If it's not documented in the manual or anything then it's a problem. but if it is and this information can be obtained by any intelligent human being putting forth the minimal amount of effort it takes to reference it in the game's documents.

I don't want to argue it further. I'm sure PlatinumGamesJP will see this feedback and relay it to the team so it's not an issue going forward in their releases.

I just personally find that kind of attitude annoying. People are too damn lazy to figure out anything for themselves. It's easier to just draw false conclusions and then blame others when you're wrong.

There's a very big difference between hand holding like a lot of games do and just mentioned the fact that there's a move list. Or putting it in a place that makes sense. You shouldn't have to read the manual for something so important in an action game. That IS bad design.

Did you consider Bayonetta to have too much handholding? Because it had the move list on almost every loading screen.

I mean, even the dude in this thread who found it said he found it by accident. That was a bad design decision. (And again, all this is irrelevant if there is actually a time when it tells you where the list is. He got other stuff wrong in the review so it wouldn't surprise me if it was mentioned and he didn't notice).

Dahbomb

I really think you guys are over estimating an average gamer's ability to perceive time when playing a game.

This would make for a great experiment. Have 2 groups play DmC and MGR (both around 7-8 hour length average) without a clock in the room and without any sunlight in the room. Have them both look at the timer at the end and then ask them how long it really took them to beat the game. I bet you that people who played MGR will come up with a figure closer to 5 hours (reported time) than 10 hours (actual time).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It's not even about actively perceiving it during play.

Like I can't imagine a day where I'm not paying attention to the clock due to basic responsibilities.

Yeah, even when I get really immersed in a game I am still aware of time passing. Of course, I may lose track and play WAY longer than I expected, but I am atleast then aware that I blew my whole day on a game. So saying something like this post:

6/10 seems reasonable due to it's length. Beat it in 4 fucking hours. I am not the type to want to play through anything more than 1 time. This should not be a full priced game because it is way too skimpy on content. I usually put in a longer session than that for my first session of a new MGS game.

That's not to say it was not enjoyable, but even short games are twice as long as this one. Did Konami not realize how ridiculously short this game was? There really needs to be a standard $40 dollar game for situations like this.

The exact quote "beat it in 4 fucking hours" is saying you started at noon and finished at 4pm. That is literally impossible with this unless you one continued the entire game and skipped all the cutscenes, so it's disingenuous at best to spread info like that around.

This is separate from just feeling like a game is too short in general, which may certainly be a valid viewpoint to have.

Dahbomb

These are the same people who, I guess, wouldn't like DMC3 or 4. They don't tell you the combos. You figure them out yourself, or you reach out to the internet. Both aren't difficult.
Both DMC3 and DMC4 have move lists both in the shop menu and in the library menu.

RangerBAD

These are the same people who, I guess, wouldn't like DMC3 or 4. They don't tell you the combos. You figure them out yourself, or you reach out to the internet. Both aren't difficult.

Probably why DMC was never very mainstream, but that never stopped me from enjoying the games.

Both DMC3 and DMC4 have move lists both in the shop menu and in the library menu.

But stringing them together for effectiveness was something you had to figure out yourself.

Dahbomb

Probably why DMC was never very mainstream, but that never stopped me from enjoying the games.

But stringing them together for effectiveness was something you had to figure out yourself.
Pretty much yea. Knowing the moves is useless, its about knowing how to piece them all together.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
People still missed basic moves in DMC games too. That's why you have Ninja Theory touting the fact that they put the launcher on one button because holding R1 + back was missed by a fair amount of people.

Yeah, we have biological clocks. We do most of our functions at the same time daily.

Not necessarily at the same time, but definitively following a similar pattern...

I.E If I eat at 12, im probably gonna start feeling peckish about 2.30/3

If I drink a large glass of water, im gonna want to use the toliet within an hour

If I sit down at 9, im going to want to get up and stretch my legs for a few about 1

etc etc

It's got nothing to do with being a gamer, its more understanding your body for me.

I really think you guys are over estimating an average gamer's ability to perceive time when playing a game.

This would make for a great experiment. Have 2 groups play DmC and MGR (both around 7-8 hour length average) without a clock in the room and without any sunlight in the room. Have them both look at the timer at the end and then ask them how long it really took them to beat the game. I bet you that people who played MGR will come up with a figure closer to 5 hours (reported time) than 10 hours (actual time).

I wont discount this however, I can only speak for myself in this regard

But there is no way in the world I could do anything for 10 hours and think only 5 has passed or vice-versa.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Did you consider Bayonetta to have too much handholding? Because it had the move list on almost every loading screen.

I considered it a luxury and was very thankful for something like that to be implemented.

I was fine referencing in and out of game materials before it though, and will be fine now. Not ever game is going to have something like that.

There's a very big difference between hand holding like a lot of games do and just mentioned the fact that there's a move list. Or putting it in a place that makes sense. You shouldn't have to read the manual for something so important in an action game. That IS bad design.

I disagree. For the exact reasons I already explained.

This argument is just going to go in circles if I restate them. So like I proposed in my previous post, let's just agree to disagree.

also there's that indignation I was talking about. You shouldn't have to read the game's documents when you can't find something immediately!!

I thought it was common to play a game and then go on youtube afterwards to see how it could be played, or if you think a feature should be in a game to go find if it actually might be there. It's weird to simply not bother, because those things will improve your experience with any given game regardless of your personal objectives in gaming, and at very little effort.

haikira

Heading off to make a push for completion. If i had to guess, I've probably a third left.

I'll post some proper impressions after i finish the game, but so far i'm loving it. I will say though, despite being ready for the cheese, i'm finding some of it a little much. Though i did play some of it in front of friends who aren't a fan of such games, so i was probably more conscious of it, because of that. It all feels appropriately tongue in cheek and in good spirits though and if you roll with it, it's a good laugh most of the time. If you've played previous PG games, you'll have a good idea what to expect.

Cheese and voice acting aside though, this is a bloody good game. So good, i'll suspect i'll maybe pick up a second copy on the PS3 when it's out here in the UK, just for the extra content.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

It's not even about perceiving time to me

Like I just keep track of my day through my personal responsibilities.

If I get out of class at 2 and have to be at work at 5, and if I played a game during that entire block of time inbetween I'll know that was 3 hours.

Even when I have nothing to do all day and spend it playing a game, I know when I sat down to play and when I got up and can do simple math.

So this would never happen to me simply because of my basic awareness of how I spend the time in my day. Even if I don't know the exact number I'll know when it's off by 3 hours

I guess the Normal being easy and being able to spam somewhat with just light attack was Platinum's way of gracing people who haven't played this kind of game before.

I think fighters and action games like this now deserve two separate reviews - initial, and six months to a year down the line. At least in six months, genre vets who will dare to go and explore the game and all parts can show off everything about it. Reviewers, professional or not, can knock points off if they think placement of information is bad, but to claim that it and helpful moves aren't there without looking around...

Unless you were just playing for the story, even MGS games weren't one-and-done experiences with what replays offered, let alone MGR.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, god forbid they put the move list in a fuckin' logical area

God forbid I have to check the help section in the pause menu when I'm trying to find something!!!

Help is for scrubs I play on hard the first playthrough!!

Fuck getting off the couch to check let me just go complain on neogaf on my phone.

Akainu

It doesn't need a dodge button, the game was built around parrying, not dodging because the Platinum Games devs thought dodging wasn't badass enough for Raiden.
But talking in a stupid voice was?

You can say it wasn't there decision but you know deep down it was.

Anyway It was mentioned while back do the gekko still jump back when parrying them?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
grrrr me hardcore gamer, me defend all stupid design choices cuz platinum da best

REVENGEANCE!

It's a shame when not being helpless is the definition of being "hardcore"

It used to be a more exclusive club than that!

or perhaps it's even more exclusive now...

grrrr me hardcore gamer, me defend all stupid design choices cuz platinum da best

REVENGEANCE!

So why exactly would you not check all the menu options before playing the game? I'm not seeing the "stupid design choice" that you're talking about, more like stupid gamer who won't bother to fully check the fucking pause menu.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Because your friend is a dummy, both the physical manual and the briefing menu in the game explain all the possible moves.

I'm pretty sure that the physical manual said "...And many more moves you can do by discovering them yourself!" or something along those lines.

There actually moves I've done in MGS4 that are not in the manual, whether it is in-game or the physical one.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Could average campaign length be added into the FAQ of the OP? The "4 hour campaign" to be brought up a lot more in the next few days.

Top Bottom