• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

rvy

Banned
There are 20 VR missions on the disk with 30 more coming as DLC.

I mean VR Missions where Raiden uses CQC.

God damn, this game is a fucking trip! It's Platinum alright.

I guess that'll happen when Kojima let's his baby go free and it changes from story perfection and awesome gameplay, to a less serious story and hack n' slash gameplay.

KuGsj.gif

"Story perfection".

Oh, Lord. I'm fucking dying over here.

The characters don't stay TRUE

They did in MGS 4?

Kojima... Why couldn't you direct this game damnit? Lol, I love metal gear solid(not rising...)but I HATE hack n' slash. I'm so torn right now... I want to see what happens with raiden and Sunny(the only characters I think matter) but don't want to suffer through that gameplay...

I kind of wish it wasn't canon. I hope it does well either way. Hopefully the story is awesome and engaging. The character design reminds me of Lost Planet too, which I don't like. *sigh* it's just NOT metal gear solid that I love, not that it's even trying to be, but it hurts my soul that I might miss out on this "canon" stuff.

The characters don't stay TRUE, and aren't as interesting... I guess that'll happen when Kojima let's his baby go free and it changes from story perfection and awesome gameplay, to a less serious story and hack n' slash gameplay. It's just less dynamic compared to all the stuff you could do in metal gear solid games with the different approaches.

And the awesome empowerment that was supposed to come with being a cyborg ninja(I'm having flash backs of playing as grey fox in metal gear solid) is GONE because EVERYONE is a cyborg ninja now with tons of robots n' shit.

I get it from a gameplay standpoint. Imagine playing a game where you are so empowered that the enemy has no chance... But shit. I was so damn excited when they announced the game, but to see the change from developers and everything... It's fallen so far for me. Damn you Kojima!!!!!!

I hope you guys enjoy anyway, hope it does well like I said, and maybe I'll watch the gameplay on YouTube? *shrug*

Is this like a "Konami shot themselves in the foot" post?

demidar

Is this like a "Konami shot themselves in the foot" post?

It's kind of sad, Platinum games are the definition of "get out what you put in". Being awesome actually takes hard work and when you reach that point it's all the more satisfying. And hack and slash is such a crude way to describe high-tier action, it's more befitting of a Dynasty/Samurai Warriors game.

jrcbandit

What does collecting left hands do? The guy on the codec said he should have something ready since I collected enough. It did not seem to unlock anything though when I went to the configuration screen ;p. Is it just for an achievement when all are collected, or does it unlock wigs or something?

So I played the demo at the weekend, and I *kinda* enjoyed it.. and I want to like it (I *love* Metal Gear) but can someone explain the parrying?

rvy

Banned
So I played the demo at the weekend, and I *kinda* enjoyed it.. and I want to like it (I *love* Metal Gear) but can someone explain the parrying?

Press X (or Square in PS3) and hold the analog stick in the direction of your enemy when they glow orange. If you time it at the last second, you counter. If you don't, you'll do a regular parry.

FUUUU.....I'm still not sure which version to get! ;_;

Hopefully by the 26th one will be crowned superior.

I'm going with the PS3 version, which I hear is a bit sharper as visuals go. But the actual reason is because the 360 ZOE demo froze on me, and I expect the same from the full version. There seems to be much less freezing on the PS3, from my experience.

Robot Pants

Kojima... Why couldn't you direct this game damnit? Lol, I love metal gear solid(not rising...)but I HATE hack n' slash. I'm so torn right now... I want to see what happens with raiden and Sunny(the only characters I think matter) but don't want to suffer through that gameplay...

I kind of wish it wasn't canon. I hope it does well either way. Hopefully the story is awesome and engaging. The character design reminds me of Lost Planet too, which I don't like. *sigh* it's just NOT metal gear solid
Don't care what anyone says. This story is not cannon. Do not worry about missing anything, I can assure you you won't miss a single important thing.
Just forget this game exists, it's just a spin off.

addyb

Wat?

DMC HD collection is fine, an excellent port of the old games and still fun all these years. DmC, I'd encourage you to play it. It is a good game in its own right, it's just that the bosses bore me to death.

Good to hear. I'd just heard that it wasn't that good a port. I've got my wires crossed somewhere. Sorry.

demidar

This is funny. It's not like we're making it up. If Kojima accepts this as canon, I don't see why anyone else wouldn't.

MGR takes place a ways into the future, and even if you don't like it (it is canon) its lore is self-encompassing and sequels will likely be based on MGR and stay mostly separated from Metal Gear lore. Plus you got Ground Zeroes which takes place within the main canon.

Robot Pants

MGR takes place a ways into the future, and even if you don't like it (it is canon) its lore is self-encompassing and sequels will likely be based on MGR and stay mostly separated from Metal Gear lore. Plus you got Ground Zeroes which takes place within the main canon.
Exactly.

That's cute.
Also you can cut this shit out right now. I'm telling HIM to forget about this game. I'm hyped beyond all hell.

Quackula

It's a joke post right? Hack n'slash really?
The game is called Metal Gear Rising, not Metal Gear Solid. It's in a different genre. If you don't like it, move along.

Well, to be fair, Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 don't have "Solid" in the title but they're clearly part of the same genre as the Solid games.

deim0s

@Yiorgos
DLC on JP account yes. DLC use on US account unconfirmed. Most DLCs are region locked. So if you get yours post what happens here. ;)

He shouldn't worry at all for MG's story being canon at all. Knowing KojiPro, any sequel can be retconned/ignored/inserted/time paradoxed in a blink.

Quackula

@Yiorgos
DLC on JP account yes. DLC use on US account unconfirmed. Most DLCs are region locked. So if you get yours post what happens here. ;)

He shouldn't worry at all for MG's story being canon at all. Knowing KojiPro, any sequel can be retconned/ignored/inserted/time paradoxed in a blink.

Has any game in the MG series been retconned completely out of existence? I mean other than stuff like the AC!D games or Ghost Babel, which were never canon to begin with. Snake's Revenge maybe?

Yiorgos

@Yiorgos

Thanks. Think will be sticking to the US version then:(

deim0s

Has any game in the MG series been retconned completely out of existence? I mean other than stuff like the AC!D games or Ghost Babel, which were never canon to begin with. Snake's Revenge maybe?

Snake's Revenge definitely... I think Kojima got pissed and started work on MG2 because of it. Portable Ops got shunned.

Robot Pants

Snakes Revenge yea, but they should also figure out a way to retcon the Twin Snakes cutscenes.

deim0s

Snakes Revenge yea, but they should also figure out a way to retcon the Twin Snakes cutscenes.

That was a remake made by Silicone Knights. We supervised it but we didn’t create it directly and we wanted to make sure that everything in the HD Collection was canon. Everything that goes into there is something created directly by Kojima Productions and Kojima himself. So that is the reason why Twin Snakes was not included in HD Collection.

http://www.examiner.com/article/koj...exclusion-from-metal-gear-solid-hd-collection

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Kojima posted a teaser pic of the final trailer.

Metal-Gear-Rising-Final-Trailer.jpg

BRING IT!

Edit: dat Diamond Dogs phone case.

I'm getting this game in a day or two, so I'll just ask this outright.

how's the story for someone who love MGS story, but hate Bayonetta and Vanquish story?

Bedlam

This makes me wonder if Kojima considers doing his own remake of MGS as there is no way to enjoy the full canon without either going through a lot of hoops or subjecting yourself to eye-cancer inducing PS1 graphics (and basically Kojima himself advised against both by including neither the PS1 version nor the remake of the game in the HD collection). I played both the original and the SK remake but I sure would like to see a proper next-gen take on that game.

Could someone please explain how parry works? I can do it in the tutorial, but can't pull it off in the first actual mission. You just have to push the L stick at the direction of the enemy and press "light attack" as he attacks, no? When I do it, Raiden just blocks the attack.

rvy

Banned
Could someone please explain how parry works? I can do it in the tutorial, but can't pull it off in the first actual mission. You just have to push the L stick at the direction of the enemy and press "light attack" as he attacks, no? When I do it, Raiden just blocks the attack.

You have to time it right, as in at the last second.

demidar

If you can see the enemy in the middle of an attack animation and you hold the stick in his direction and hit light attack you will block it. Do it at the last second just before it hits you and you will follow up with an automatic counterattack.

Quackula

This makes me wonder if Kojima considers doing his own remake of MGS as there is no way to enjoy the full canon without either going through a lot of hoops or subjecting yourself to eye-cancer inducing PS1 graphics (and basically Kojima himself advised against both by including neither the PS1 version nor the remake of the game in the HD collection). I played both the original and the SK remake but I sure would like to see a proper next-gen take on that game.
Ps1 graphics are eye cancer now?

Damn kids.

You have to time it right, as in at the last second.

If you can see the enemy in the middle of an attack animation and you hold the stick in his direction and hit light attack you will block it. Do it at the last second just before it hits you and you will follow up with an automatic counterattack.
Thanks for the replies, I'll just have to keep practicing. So I guess the tutorial is set to an easier difficulty regardless of what difficulty you picked at the beginning (I started on Hard) with a more forgiving time frame for parrying.

Top Bottom