• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

RS4-

I don't know what it did. I'll say something though. I've seen in videos that it's possible to ninja kill the big gorilla-type enemies from behind, but I can't do in my game. The circle button never appears, I can only stealth kill them from above. Maybe another patch is coming, I dunno.

It worked for me without the patch...at least on 360 it works lol.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So from those that finished this game, do we know if this is this better than DmC?
Looking for answer from someone who actually enjoyed DmC and not a sad little girl who thinks Capcom wronged them.

Ask Jett. He liked DmC a good deal and has finished Rising. I'll give my opinions once I finish.

jett

D-Member
So from those that finished this game, do we know if this is this better than DmC?
Looking for answer from someone who actually enjoyed DmC and not a sad little girl who thinks Capcom wronged them.

I like both games, but they're pretty different. DmC has more variety in its combat and is all about the ease of creating your own combos, you're a powerhouse in that game, you make your own fun. You don't make your own fun in MGR since your combo possibilities are limited. It's about parrying and counter attacking at the right moment and always being on your toes, to the point where it may feel cheap sometimes(off-screen attacks are abundant). The feel and flow of MGR's combat is outstanding though and superior to DmC. Neither game is perfect or flawless. I'd say DmC is probably a more complete experience because MGR definitely feels rushed. The very first mission(not the prologue) is the longest one and with the most scenery variety. That's just strange. DmC has it beat when it comes to level design from a conceptual standpoint and overall visual style, but the levels in MGR are more than just one combat arena after another. And however you may feel about "Donte", the story and characters at least make sense in that game. :p Anything regarding plotting and characters in MGR is a mess.

So uh yeah, they're both good games to me, they scratch different itches. I wish DmC was harder and I wish you didn't have to stop the friggin action to change a weapon in MGR.

KePoW

Banned
I like both games, but they're pretty different. DmC has more variety in its combat and is all about the ease of creating your own combos, you're a powerhouse in that game, you make your own fun. You don't make your own fun in MGR since your combo possibilities are limited. It's about parrying and counter attacking at the right moment and always being on your toes, to the point where it may feel cheap sometimes(off-screen attacks are abundant). The feel and flow of MGR's combat is outstanding though and superior to DmC. Neither game is perfect or flawless. I'd say DmC is probably a more complete experience because MGR definitely feels rushed. The very first mission(not the prologue) is the longest one and with the most scenery variety. That's just strange. DmC has it beat when it comes to level design from a conceptual standpoint and overall visual style, but the levels in MGR are more than just one combat arena after another. And however you may feel about "Donte", the story and characters at least make sense in that game. :p Anything regarding plotting and characters in MGR is a mess.

So uh yeah, they're both good games to me, they scratch different itches. I wish DmC was harder and I wish you didn't have to stop the friggin action to change a weapon in MGR.

Cool, thanks for the fair comments.

Even though I haven't played MGR yet, it's clear to me that both are good solid games. I've been enjoying DmC a lot. I don't get some people's hate for it, unless they're super picky hardcore gamers... which I'm not.

MGR's gameplay looks sweet too (in a different way), I just wish the graphics were better.

ezekial45

Banned

This is pretty much what I'm expecting.

It looks pretty limited to me (especially the sub-weapons), but JP yelled at me for saying so in the previous thread. I'm still looking forward to it tomorrow!

I finished MGR about an hour ago, finished DMC last week. they are... really different games quite honestly.

the combat style is so different that i honestly believe playing DMC or Bayonetta before MGR will actively make you worse at revengeance. there's a completely different philosophy at play regarding flow, and it takes a very long time to adjust to their way of thinking.

they made some really boneheaded decisions in MGR, particularly when it comes to fail states, there are some places where missing a QTE (oh, and there are a LOT of old fashioned QTEs) results in a Game Over. it's fucking annoying and has no place in 2013.

That said, i really LIKED MGR, but there was too much that felt unpolished and that stopped me from really LOVING it. I really feel like if they had some extra time to iron things out, this game would have been genre defining, but instead it's just "excellent."

Nemesis_

This is pretty much what I'm expecting.

It looks pretty limited to me (especially the sub-weapons), but JP yelled at me for saying so in the previous thread. I'm still looking forward to it tomorrow!

DmC's combat is boring because it's so easy.

I can't talk about Rising until later on today

I finished MGR about an hour ago, finished DMC last week. they are... really different games quite honestly.

the combat style is so different that i honestly believe playing DMC or Bayonetta before MGR will actively make you worse at revengeance. there's a completely different philosophy at play regarding flow, and it takes a very long time to adjust to their way of thinking.

they made some really boneheaded decisions in MGR, particularly when it comes to fail states, there are some places where missing a QTE (oh, and there are a LOT of old fashioned QTEs) results in a Game Over. it's fucking annoying and has no place in 2013.

That said, i really LIKED MGR, but there was too much that felt unpolished and that stopped me from really LOVING it. I really feel like if they had some extra time to iron things out, this game would have been genre defining, but instead it's just "excellent."

I beat DmC and am a few hours into rising and so far rising really hasn't clicked with me the combat just doesn't feel natural. It might be me but so far my feelings are mixed.

Where as I thought DmC was fun but a bit simple. I always had fun with it though. Bayonetta is the champ in my eyes the combat in that game was just sublime and so far rising isn't living up to expectations.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Um, is the mini artbook no longer a preorder bonus at gamestop? I just checked their site and they've removed it from the list of bonuses. The fuck man.

I beat DmC and am a few hours into rising and so far rising really hasn't clicked with me the combat just doesn't feel natural. It might be me but so far my feelings are mixed.

Where as I thought DmC was fun but a bit simple. I always had fun with it though. Bayonetta is the champ in my eyes the combat in that game was just sublime and so far rising isn't living up to expectations.

the issue for me is the parry, combat in MGR is as chaotic as a bayonetta, but i feel like a directed parry is not the right tool for a game where you're being attacked from multiple angles at all times, you sort of need that quick dodge.

and even get me started on the stun locks, holy shit

I don't get parrying. Can I parry stabs or is it only when they come from left, right, up, or down.

you can parry any "red" attack (IE: enemy's eye glows red),you cannot parry an orange attack, for those you need to dodge, ninja run, or pray... and you still might get hit.

Um, is the mini artbook no longer a preorder bonus at gamestop? I just checked their site and they've removed it from the list of bonuses. The fuck man.

I saw that on the product page earlier today but it didn't say it was a preorder bonus like the cyborg ninja skin, it just said "pick up your copy of revengeance at gamestop and receive an art book"

So I dunno if it was actually a preorder bonus or just a bonus for anyone who buys the game at gamestop

MormaPope

Banned

I'm glad to hear that, I was worried Rising would be Bayonetta lite instead of a different design philosophy altogether.

NateDrake

I'm glad to hear that, I was worried Rising would be Bayonetta lite instead of a different design philosophy altogether.

You can play Rising with a button-masher mentality, but you will get beaten with ease. Or you'll just make some battles harder than they need to be. Parrying is key to the game and it works well once you master doing so.

Ken

Probably an out of stock thing. I got one and wasn't really expecting it.

you can parry any "red" attack (IE: enemy's eye glows red),you cannot parry an orange attack, for those you need to dodge, ninja run, or pray... and you still might get hit.

How do I dodge?

Mupod

I'm a good ways in...I think. I just fought some cops. So far the 'QTEs' are just 'mash whatever random button appears on the screen to beat up that big robot'. It hasn't been 'press this random button that appears for a millisecond in the middle of this long cutscene or else you die and need to restart the whole boss fight' that gets a pass for some reason in other games.

The only bad thing I have to say about it right now is the camera when fighting Raptors in the sewer. Jesus christ. Overall I'm glad I got my ass kicked by those though, since after the Mistral fight I was worried things were getting easy.

I love how many codec conversations there are, tons of random shit to find while exploring too. And unlockables. And VR missions. I was paranoid that this game would be lacking in content like that after Vanquish, but I'm impressed so far.

I also love that you can skip those walk-and-talk codec calls. Since the game loads during them I figured I'd have to put up with it on subsequent runs, but you can just Y your way through them. Maybe you can't do it if the game isn't installed? I'm on 360 with it on my hard drive and the loadtimes are like nonexistent.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Wait... are Gamestops doing a midnight release for this?! If so, I'll gladly stay up!

RS4-

I also love that you can skip those walk-and-talk codec calls. Since the game loads during them I figured I'd have to put up with it on subsequent runs, but you can just Y your way through them. Maybe you can't do it if the game isn't installed? I'm on 360 with it on my hard drive and the loadtimes are like nonexistent.

Two places stand out for me when it stutters during a codec conversation in game. It's always chapter 1, after the first fight. And I think the start of chapter 5.

There are a lot of people who will just troll because they hate DmC for no good reason.
And since when did GAF become a place where you can't make half sarcastic snarky remarks?

Embargo is up? http://translate.google.com/transla...tal-gear-rising-revengeance-review-recensione

You may be new here but stop showing your ignorance. The majority of people who had legitimate critisims of the game in its OT played it first.

This is not gamefaqs. Show some respect.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
To everyone worried about the game's running time. Don't.

When I beat it I was told I'd played for 4:12. But i started it on Friday and beat it on Sunday playing 3-4 hours each day. Not only that but I plan on going back and getting all the items I missed and trying to get better ratings. There is plenty of game here to warrant your money.

chrono01

Well that's unfortunate. That was my only real complaint with Bayonetta.

"What's that? You defeated the boss with a great combo score, no damage, and no use of items? No deaths, either? Nicely done! But we're sorry, you didn't press Up/X quick enough, and thus, you now died and it will result in a lower ranking.

Better luck next time!"

I can't tell you how frustrating the fight with
Father Balder
was. I defeated him, with absolutely no deaths/items, and failed on the "direct the bullet" part around 4 times [this was on Hard where it moves a lot faster]. Needless to say, my rank was horrible. -_-

I'm still looking forward to playing MGR [hopefully my LE arrives tomorrow], but I really hope the QTE's aren't as prevalent as in Bayonetta.

Probably an out of stock thing. I got one and wasn't really expecting it.
How do I dodge?

you have to buy the dodge, on the xbox it's X+A, it doesnt flow very well and is never explained, even for a moment, but it becomes completely necessary later in the game

HYDE

Banned
Please answer one question for me...Is there wall running like they showed in the teaser trailers? Please answer with spoilers as to not ruin that aspect for others.

I remember God of War showed wall running in it's teaser trailer and it didn't end up in the final game, same story here?

Please answer one question for me...Is there wall running like they showed in the teaser trailers? Please answer with spoilers as to not ruin that aspect for others.

I remember God of War showed wall running in it's teaser trailer and it didn't end up in the final game, same story here?
yup no wall run

How I'm playing MGR right now actually reminds me more of Onimusha than the likes of DmC/Bayonetta. Perhaps I'm playing it wrong or just not very good at it, but when I'm surrounded by humanoid enemies, I patiently wait for them to strike first and counter their attacks at the perfect moment to perform Zan-Datsu, much like the Issen move in Onimusha. But I still frantically button-mash when surrounded by those cyborg dinosaurs and pond skaters. That's not to say the game doesn't have a good combo system, if you pause the game and look at the move list, there's actually a good amount of moves you can perform, and you can get a pretty long combo going after you obtain the first boss's weapon.

Astral

By "orange attack" I assume you mean the attacks where enemies glow orange, such as the wolf's several attacks and the Gekko's kicks. You can parry all of those.

Ken

you have to buy the dodge, on the xbox it's X+A, it doesnt flow very well and is never explained, even for a moment, but it becomes completely necessary later in the game

Oh, when can I buy it? I just hit the
Blade Wolf fight.

So when there is a red flash, that means I can parry the attack? What if there's a red flash but the only attacker is orange; does that mean I can't? What should I do in the latter situation? Ninja run to get out of the way?

Blocking is just mashing light attack but if I want to do the counter too I need to input the correct direction on the left stick too?

No Artbook WTF

Ugh I'm so upset. Whatever

:(

I would pay $50 for a full sized art book though. Most of the stuff in the free one is two page spreads, and there's not a lot of pages.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Embargo ends in three hours I think. Mine does at least.

Top Bottom