• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Astral

Oh, when can I buy it? I just hit the
Blade Wolf fight.

So when there is a red flash, that means I can parry the attack? What if there's a red flash but the only attacker is orange; does that mean I can't? What should I do in the latter situation? Ninja run to get out of the way?

Blocking is just mashing light attack but if I want to do the counter too I need to input the correct direction on the left stick too?

Blocking/Parrying is pressing on the direction the enemy is attacking from + square (or X if you're on 360). You can block orange attacks.

demidar

I dunno...that would require some restraint on their end.

Samanosuke finds a new power: nanomachines controlled by witch power. Also he's half-demononi. And he'll need all these powers to fight off a newly resurrected cyber-Oda piloting a Genma Gear Rex. Also lots of explosions, slow-motion and gratuitous
male
ass shots.

ezekial45

Banned
I think Platinum Games should do Onimusha, who's with me?

They'd be a fine fit for the series. If this was a reinvention, and not a sequel to the other games, they could do some pretty bonkers stuff with the material. The series pretty open to many interpretations. I could even see NT doing a solid Onimusha game, if they got the chance.

Though if they were to work with Capcom again, I'd rather see them make a DMC X Bayonetta game. Other than Bayonetta 2, which is now a reality, that's my dream PG title.

Ken

Blocking/Parrying is pressing on the direction the enemy is attacking from + square (or X if you're on 360). You can block orange attacks.

So I can block the Gekko (?) attacks and
Blade Wolf's?
How would I know what direction some of the attacks are coming from (for example which direction would I press the stick in when the soldier does a horizontal stab).

Astral

So I can block the Gekko (?) attacks and
Blade Wolf's?
How would I know what direction some of the attacks are coming from (for example which direction would I press the stick in when the soldier does a horizontal stab).

By the direction I mean what side they're hitting you from. If they're right in front of you, just press forward + square/X. If they're gonna attack you from your right, you press right + square/X. However, if you're targeting an enemy it'll be forward + square/X every time since the camera will always face them.

Ken

By the direction I mean what side they're hitting you from. If they're right in front of you, just press forward + square/X. If they're gonna attack you from your right, you press right + square/X. However, if you're targeting an enemy it'll be forward + square/X every time since the camera will always face them.

Oh. That makes it a lot easier then lol.

Oh, when can I buy it? I just hit the
Blade Wolf fight.

So when there is a red flash, that means I can parry the attack? What if there's a red flash but the only attacker is orange; does that mean I can't? What should I do in the latter situation? Ninja run to get out of the way?

Blocking is just mashing light attack but if I want to do the counter too I need to input the correct direction on the left stick too?

IIRC

Red flash = person is about to attack

Orange = attack is loose and can be block/countered.

Block and counter is the same motion (press left stick in the direction of the attacker and the light attack button) the counter happens if you do the motion just as the attack is about to connect. If you do it earilier then you just block.

demidar

They'd be a fine fit for the series. If this was a reinvention, and not a sequel to the other games, they could do some pretty bonkers stuff with the material. The series pretty open to many interpretations. I could even see NT doing a solid Onimusha game, if they got the chance.

Though if they were to work with Capcom again, I'd rather see them make a DMC X Bayonetta game. Other than Bayonetta 2, which is now a reality, that's my dream PG title.

Open world action RPG with Japanese demonic overtones with a detective bent where the player has to actually figure out where to go and what to do. I think that could work.

Astral

IIRC

Red flash = person is about to attack

Orange = attack is loose and can be block/countered.

Block and counter is the same motion (press left stick in the direction of the attacker and the light attack button) the counter happens if you do the motion just as the attack is about to connect. If you do it earilier then you just block.

Yes, I forgot to mention this. I think of the parry as just blocking. A perfect block however, is a proper parry in which Raiden will then counter.

ezekial45

Banned
Open world action RPG with Japanese demonic overtones with a detective bent where the player has to actually figure out where to go and what to do. I think that could work.

Yeah, that's sound like a fine game. I'd personally like to a see a Onimusha revival in the vein of Demon's/Dark Souls. Taking some inspiration from the original, they could make it an open world action/rpg set in and around a demonic corrupted feudal era japan.

Onimusha deserves better than to just collect dust. It can do so much if given the chance.

demidar

Yeah, that's sound like a fine game. I'd personally like to a see a Onimusha revival in the vein of Demon's/Dark Souls. Taking some inspiration from the original, they could make it an open world action/rpg set in and around a demonic corrupted feudal era japan.

Onimusha deserves better than to just collect dust. It can do so much if given the chance.

Fuck why does that sound so good. Now I'm sad a game like that will never come to fruition.

jett

D-Member
I just discovered that there's dodge offset in the game when you use the pincer blades. :O

edit: actually it's with all the weapons, but it's most useful with the pincer blades.

I think Platinum Games should do Onimusha, who's with me?
I'll take whatever Onimusha fix I can get at this point, but I don't think Capcom will go back to the series any time soon.

Onimusha & Dino Crisis sequels unlikely, Capcom suggests
http://www.videogamer.com/ps2/onimusha_3_demon_siege/news/onimusha_and_dino_crisis_sequels_unlikely_capcom_suggests.html

But again, I can only speak for myself with the Onimusha comparison because that's how I prefer to play it, I'm dying to watch some Pro playthroughs and see how they tackle the game. I tried NOT waiting for a counterattack and just unleash on one enemy out of a group of 3 or 4 and keep an eye out for a chance to counter the enemies behind/around me, but when I'm doing a combo with the long spear, I somehow managed to kill the enemies behind me and missed the opportunity to grab those juicy blue intestines because I couldn't turn around quick enough to face them with the Zan-Datsu, I have yet to achieve a multiple Zan-Datsu.

joe2187

Banned

okami-03a.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Did someone say there would be DLC exploring Sam's back story? Or did I imagine that?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Cool, cheers guys. Found the report. Looks like the sword with the soul of Solid Snake will be included in the VR DLC too.

Mike M

Nick N
Picked this up tonight. Was hoping to play some, but the baby refuses to fucking sleep, and I need to go to bed myself : (

Nemesis_

you're fine to think that, but that still doesn't deny the merits of the system itself.

It has merits, and that's the fact that it's an entry level action game with a combat system that has no where near as much depth as other games in the franchise or even the genre. The ability for anyone to pick it up and play it well (and get good rankings) is it's merit - and why it should've sold more than it did since so many people could play it.

More people will put down Rising or give up on it because it as a deeper and more esoteric combat system. This is undeniable especially if you've played it proper. It's an entirely different beast.

Cool, cheers guys. Found the report. Looks like the sword with the soul of Solid Snake will be included in the VR DLC too.

!!!!1

EDIT: Wait, doesn't this mean David Hayter should be voicing the sword? >_>

EatChildren

Embargo dies in two hours.

ezekial45

Banned
It has merits, and that's the fact that it's an entry level action game with a combat system that has no where near as much depth as other games in the franchise or even the genre. The ability for anyone to pick it up and play it well (and get good rankings) is it's merit - and why it should've sold more than it did since so many people could play it.

More people will put down Rising or give up on it because it as a deeper and more esoteric combat system. This is undeniable especially if you've played it proper.

I'll give you DMC3/4, but saying it's less deep or complex than DMC1 or 2 is extremely dishonest. This game is, in my opinion, one of the better western action games in recent years. Much better than Dante's Inferno (which ran at 60FPS) and better/on par with the GoW games. Hell, DmC even gives NG3 (and Razor's Edge) a run for its money, and that was made by a team of NG vets.

To me, It just sounds like you're cutting it short just for the sake of it -- focusing on its shortcomings while completely ignoring what it has done right, which is a lot. I find this to be extremely unfair.

Nemesis_

I'll give you DMC3/4, but saying it's less deep or complex than DMC1 or 2 is extremely dishonest. This game is, in my opinion, one of the better western action games in recent years. Much better than Dante's Inferno (which ran at 60FPS) and better/on par with the GoW games. Hell, DmC even gives NG3 (and Razor's Edge) a run for its money, and that was made by a team of NG vets.

To me, It just sounds like you're cutting it short just for the sake of it -- focusing on its shortcomings while completely ignoring what it has done right, which is a lot. I find this to be extremely unfair.

To me, all you've said is that DmC is better than Dante's Inferno, Ninja Gaiden 3, Devil May Cry 2 and God of War.

Oh and a game released in 2001.

You're not really helping your argument.

Dahbomb

What he is trying to say is that DmC is a very solid action game with actual depth and replayability. It's just below the god tier action games of stuff like DMC3/DMC4/Bayo/NGB. That is not an easy accomplishment either.

So many people assume the position of "god tier action game or crap". DmC is not god tier but it's a tier below that maybe low end of top tier but high tier at minimum.

I am not going to be surprised when MGR doesn't end up being a god tier action game. We will have to see how deep the rabbit hole goes before making sweeping claims.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
What he is trying to say is that DmC is a very solid action game with actual depth and replayability. It's just below the god tier action games of stuff like DMC3/DMC4/Bayo/NGB. That is not an easy accomplishment either.

So many people assume the position of "god tier action game or crap". DmC is not god tier but it's a tier below that maybe low end of top tier but high tier at minimum.

He didn't call it crap, though. He said that it's an easy entry level action game that is shallow when compared to the rest of the franchise... and debatably the genre depending on how you define the actual genre that DMC is in.

ezekial45

Banned
To me, all you've said is that DmC is better than Dante's Inferno, Ninja Gaiden 3, Devil May Cry 2 and God of War.

Oh and a game released in 2001.

You're not really helping your argument.

o_O

You just said it was was lesser than every game in the series AND the genre.

It has merits, and that's the fact that it's an entry level action game with a combat system that has no where near as much depth as other games in the franchise or even the genre.

You made a blanket statement focusing on the shortcomings (easy difficulty, in particular), without so much as mentioning its strengths; such as the variety, flexibility, and sheer amount of options and content that the combat system employs. Very few action games reach those heights, and DmC is pretty far up there.

I don't know why you're trying to veer off from what you just said.

The reality is the average gamer consumer saw another god of war clone with an unrecognizable character in the lead. The DMC connection helped it as much as the Clive Barker name helped Hellraiser 6, its merits as a "just below god teir" effort are nullified because those god teir games exist.

Nemesis_

o_O

You just said it was was lesser than every game in the series AND the genre.

Maybe I was being hyperbolic by saying genre (though it was telling that when I think of the "genre" I don't think of DI or GoW but I do retract that genre comment when including these games)

You made a blanket statement focusing on the shortcomings (easy difficulty, in particular), without so much as mentioning its strengths; such as the variety, flexibility, and sheer amount of options and content that the combat system employs. Very few action games reach those heights, and DmC is pretty far up there.

I don't know why you're trying to veer off from what you just said

What? I wasn't trying to veer off what I said. "Flexibility" and "variety" are all given in other games that I mention. Your own personal standards dictate whether these aspects of the combat reach said "heights"

I don't hate DmC (if you followed the OT which I'm sure you did you should know this) but I'm not going to pretend like it's even on the same level as anything like DMC or Bayo or even NG (and I speak of the best in these franchises, so don't pull the DMC2 / NG3 card)

Dahbomb

He didn't call it crap, though. He said that it's an easy entry level action game that is shallow when compared to the rest of the franchise... and debatably the genre depending on how you define the actual genre that DMC is in.
I know what he said and in no way is DmC shallow compared to the rest of the genre. It's well above average in the genre in terms of depth. A toned down DMC is still a very respectable action game.

Games like DI, GoW, Ninja Blade, Darksiders are all part of the genre. If you don't include those games then it's safe to say that MGR and DmC are not in the same sub genre either so the comparison is moot anyway.

Aaron

DmC plays A LOT like the rest of the DMC series. I would even put it above DMC4 as the total package, not just talking about the combat system. DMC3 has the best combat of the series, but if you consider DmC a baseline rebuild of the whole series, you should understand why it doesn't hit that level of complexity. If DmC2 ends up existing, I think it would be both a refinement and improvement that would at least bring it close to DMC3. It also really helps to place the PC version, and not the semi-gimped console ports.

MormaPope

Banned

I am not going to be surprised when MGR doesn't end up being a god tier action game. We will have to see how deep the rabbit hole goes before making sweeping claims.

At the very least we're getting a game where Raiden can finally ascend to his maximum bad assery and potential. The sword segments at the end of MGS2 make Raiden look like a wimp compared to what he's doing in Rising.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I know what he said and in no way is DmC shallow compared to the rest of the genre. It's well above average in the genre in terms of depth. A toned down DMC is still a very respectable action game.

Games like DI, GoW, Ninja Blade, Darksiders are all part of the genre. If you don't include those games then it's safe to say that MGR and DmC are not in the same sub genre either so the comparison is moot anyway.

And that's fine if that's how you define the genre. He was clearly exaggerating or defining the genre differently, which I don't blame him considering the pedigree of the name attached to DmC.

DmC plays A LOT like the rest of the DMC series. I would even put it above DMC4 as the total package, not just talking about the combat system. DMC3 has the best combat of the series, but if you consider DmC a baseline rebuild of the whole series, you should understand why it doesn't hit that level of complexity. If DmC2 ends up existing, I think it would be both a refinement and improvement that would at least bring it close to DMC3. It also really helps to place the PC version, and not the semi-gimped console ports.

Can't help but disagree. Baseline rebuilding doesn't necessitate simplifying your product. DmC was (and should have been) held to a standard set by DMC3 and DMC4 in terms of combat. Regression would need to be justified and compensated for in other ways. It did for some people, and not for others.

I completely forgot Dante's Inferno was even a thing.

Whereas for me, just the uttering of that game's title recalls the Superbowl commercial with Bill Wither's "Ain't No Sunshine" and Dante going "BEEEATRIX" as he jumps down into Hell to kill demons in a very CG trailer-like way. Always wondered how that game turned out after liking the first Dead Space.

Anyways, glad to hear that the Wooden Sword is making its way outside Japan if I'm reading that part right. Are we gonna get David Hayter going "DAMN KID!!" and "Treat your cardboard box with care" with every swipe and slash?

Not getting any sleep tonight. Half of it is studying for a Japanese vocab quiz, the other half is hitting Gamestop in the morning before the quiz to pick my game up and ask about the artbook in person.

And the rest of the time is binging on Metal Gear-related podcasts of old. Was saddened to see that both Hidechan Radio and KojiPro Report stopped releasing episodes late last year. Where will we get MGR-related podcasts now?

Edit: Aaaaand I get the last post before the next page of the thread opens up. Again.

Top Bottom