• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Z3M0G

Back of PS3 case says 483kb disk space required... Day 1 1.01 patch then makes it require mandatory install. Seems quite large too as it will take about 5 minutes.

Edit: 2.1GB

ezekial45

Banned
Picked up my copy today, along with the art book. I don't why certain stores aren't carrying them. My store had a whole stack of them.

chrono01

Well I sent an email to Konami about the shattered lamp. We'll see if they can maybe send me a replacement.

Thankfully I kept my packing list from EBGames [I normally toss them out as soon as I get them], so I have proof of purchase if need be.

Feindflug

All this talk of vanquish and I'm ashamed to admit ive never played it :( Got it sat on my PS+ as well. Might have to give it a whirl after I've watched the footy.

Just play it, it's the best shooter this gen by far IMO.

I must've spent almost 50hrs playing this masterpiece and every time someone mentions it I feel like starting a new playthrough...such an amazing game.

Why did GAME just send me a 'GAME Preorder!' email containing my preorder details for Rising? WHY DID YOU GET ME HYPED FOR A DISPATCH NOTIFICATION ONLY TO SHOW ME NOTHING BUT THE PAYMENT DETAILS CONTAINED IN THE ORDER CONFIRMATION AND PREORDER CONFIRMATION EMAILS THAT I GOT A COUPLE OF DAYS AGO?!

ibsxdgSsMIQ7b6.gif

fml EU you suck.

You shopped in game.

That's like fucking a soho prostitute in the arse and then wondering if you actually just had sex with a man.

I wanted the steel book too but it wasn't worth it.

FStop7

Banned
I picked up my pre-order from Gamestop including Grey Fox and VR mission DLC codes. Yay.

They shorted me the mini artbook. Boo.

Carbonox

You shopped in game.

That's like fucking a soho prostitute in the arse and then wondering if you actually just had sex with a man.

I wanted the steel book too but it wasn't worth it.

This is the only time I'm shopping from them. The game + book + £5 discount = several quid cheaper than the bundle from Amazon, plus the free steelbook so for the first time in their pitiful overpriced lives, GAME actually came out on top for value.

I won't be going to them again though. I already feel like I'm taking a shit on my own chest just by opening their website up.

george_us

I may need to bump this up to Hard. Usually games from Platinum kick my ass even on normal but I've been breezing through this so far. Even Mistral didn't put up much of a fight.

addyb

Just play it, it's the best shooter this gen by far IMO.

I must've spent almost 50hrs playing this masterpiece and every time someone mentions it I feel like starting a new playthrough...such an amazing game.

Will stick it on in the next 30 mins and give it a whirl before I watch some more sons of anarchy :)

Tain

Would all of you dudes playing it now say that the demo most resembles Normal?

edit: or did the demo explicitly show Normal? It's been a bit.

AHA-Lambda

OK, should I play the game first on Easy or Normal? Can the difficulty be changed mid game?

I am not very good at these games and is the reason I have fell out of them over the years. I recently played DmC on Normal (but even I could se that was much easier than past DMC games on default difficulty).

And (I await the insults on this) but I could not beat the demo on Normal, I couldn't beat the dog.

zroid

Banned
OK, should I play the game first on Easy or Normal? Can the difficulty be changed mid game?

I am not very good at these games and is the reason I have fell out of them over the years. I recently played DmC on Normal (but even I could se that was much easier than past DMC games on default difficulty).

And (I await the insults on this) but I could not beat the demo on Normal, I couldn't beat the dog.

From what I hear, I think you would be okay on Normal. I'm guessing your issue with the demo was you didn't understand the mechanics well, and I would say the demo didn't do a great job of explaining them anyway, so it's understandable. Once you figure out how parrying works, I bet you'll be fine.

RS4-

You can't change difficulty mid game. I say give normal a shot. It doesn't take too long to finish ch00. If it's too hard, go to easy. But I think you should just stick with normal and you'll get used to it. The most important thing is being consistent with parrying. Buy the evade move too; it's only 3000bp or something.

Back of PS3 case says 483kb disk space required... Day 1 1.01 patch then makes it require mandatory install. Seems quite large too as it will take about 5 minutes.

Edit: 2.1GB

Mandatory regardless of 1.01 update. My DSL is acting up and I didn't want to download the patch, it went straight to the install screen.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Why did GAME just send me a 'GAME Preorder!' email containing my preorder details for Rising? WHY DID YOU GET ME HYPED FOR A DISPATCH NOTIFICATION ONLY TO SHOW ME NOTHING BUT THE PAYMENT DETAILS CONTAINED IN THE ORDER CONFIRMATION AND PREORDER CONFIRMATION EMAILS THAT I GOT A COUPLE OF DAYS AGO?!

ibsxdgSsMIQ7b6.gif

fml EU you suck.
Same here I thought it was a "your order is on its way" email, but it was just letting me know they took the money

All this talk of vanquish and I'm ashamed to admit ive never played it :( Got it sat on my PS+ as well. Might have to give it a whirl after I've watched the footy.
Same. I'm playing through Bayonetta at the moment so I might start Vanquish after I have finished that.

Feindflug

What I'm suspecting is that in the Normal difficulty in the retail game the parry window is bigger while damage Raiden takes from enemies look the same.

I guess we need a second opinion on this though.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I think I'm going to start on Normal, and try and learn the mechanics of the game.

nullref

The demo explicitly showed Normal. There was a difficulty selection screen, but you could only pick Normal, as I recall.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
http://kotaku.com/5985395/metal-gea...of-telling-you-how-to-play-here-are-some-tips

KIRK - "I need help with Metal Gear Rising. I can't even get past the first actual fight where you have to defeat the two two-legged walker guys."

I can answer Kirk's question, Kotaku. Perhaps he should stop playing Rising and first visit MGS4, or any of the amazing games in the Metal Gear Solid franchise and then return to Rising. It won't help him with his ability to play the game, but he'll at least be able to talk about it coherently.

Ken

Is it possible to counter Gekko attacks or just block? I have to guess the timing is pretty tight on the counter, right?

Carbonox

IMO, the best way to describe Rising would be as a sword-based spiritual sequel to Vanquish. Or the Ninja Gaiden Vanquish. Whichever you prefer. It's really a different beast to Devil May Cry/Bayonetta and very welcome at that.

Same here but I will start on normal tomorrow. Demo was way too easy on easy difficulty setting.

I'm playing the demo for the first time before my copy of the game arrives. Am I missing something?

Of course I can do light and heavy attacks, and blade mode. I believe I'm parrying attacks fairly consistently. But when I do get hit, of course I lose health. Am I supposed to do something specific to trigger being able to do zan datsu for recovery? The demo doesn't teach that, does the full game?

TheOGB

Banned
Finished the first chapter, now I'm where the demo starts. Having fun so far, but I'm actually excited to see how much room there is for improvement.

Xander51

I'm playing the demo for the first time before my copy of the game arrives. Am I missing something?

Of course I can do light and heavy attacks, and blade mode. I believe I'm parrying attacks fairly consistently. But when I do get hit, of course I lose health. Am I supposed to do something specific to trigger being able to do zan datsu for recovery? The demo doesn't teach that, does the full game?

Use blade mode to finish off an enemy and hit the red square that pops up on their body, then quickly press the button that shows up in the prompt. This is a key technique, and the demo never really teaches it. Changed my whole perspective on the game.

Use blade mode to finish off an enemy and hit the red square that pops up on their body, then quickly press the button that shows up in the prompt. This is a key technique, and the demo never really teaches it. Changed my whole perspective on the game.

So you have to actually slice the red square?

TwoDurans

Both the demo and release version teach you this in a VR mission tutorial. In reading Gaf today it seems that everyone skipped the tutorials before playing then went right to the internet to complain about how difficult the game mechanics are. There aren't really any mysteries in this game, it's all in the VR mission tutorials (there are 5 I believe.)

Xander51

Both the demo and release version teach you this in a VR mission tutorial. In reading Gaf today it seems that everyone skipped the tutorials before playing then went right to the internet to complain about how difficult the game mechanics are. There aren't really any mysteries in this game, it's all in the VR mission tutorials (there are 5 I believe.)

The tutorial that teaches it is entirely optional and buried in menus that are mentioned to you incredibly briefly. The only obvious tutorial in the demo teaches you how to use the blade mode and that's it.

I'm going to try and pick up a copy after work. I have to get some serious Avengers time tonight so If I put some some big scores, hopfully I'll have time to start playing tonight.

TwoDurans

The tutorial that teaches it is entirely optional and buried in menus that are mentioned to you incredibly briefly. The only obvious tutorial in the demo teaches you how to use the blade mode and that's it.

The game straight up asks "Do You Want To View The Tutorial VR Missions?"

Yeah, the demo askes you first off if you wanna play the tutorial, but it only covers blade mode. Other tutorials aren't available from what I can see in the other menus. Of course I'd go through all the tutorials in the full game.

So. Many. Stun states. Jesus H Christ.

And for all that is holy, don't fight anybody in any super in close area. The camera seemed to have a seizure zooming in and out on the battle when I was some stairs

vid

Agh, I picked up my LE before work today, and only just got to open it at lunch and check out the contents. Unfortunately, my lamp doesn't appear to work... the light will come on, but the plasma does not arc, and instead only makes a hissing noise when I put my hands near it.

Here's hoping that GameStop is willing to replace it, or failing that, Konami.

I want to play as soon as I get home, but I'm afraid that if I unwrap the game itself, that will remove all chances of a replacement lamp... I know it's not a big deal and it'll get rectified eventually, but man, what a let down after waiting so long for this game. :(

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
If you return to the title screen after a checkpoint save during a mission, you start at that checkpoint right?

Also what's with this left arm thing? Is it applicable to all enemies or only some? What does it do exactly?

Xander51

Yeah, the demo askes you first off if you wanna play the tutorial, but it only covers blade mode. Other tutorials aren't available from what I can see in the other menus. Of course I'd go through all the tutorials in the full game.

That's interesting. I saw the little prompt at the beginning of gameplay in the demo about Combat Basics and never actually followed it, but I did do some codec conversations. Funny that they aren't even there. I only learned the correct Zandatsu technique from watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look, and that made me go back and try it in the demo today.

I will probably buy the full game this afternoon. Being able to heal makes a huge difference!

Top Bottom