• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Robot Pants

DAT MUSIC during the elevator scene. I need to know the name.
This game is so awesome. I can tell some of these encounters on revengeance are gonna be so hard to take no damage on. That trophy is gonna be hard earned. But I can't wait.

addyb

Apologies for this as I would imagine its been asked a lot but what's the average play length of this on default difficulty. I've only seen a couple of reviews and they say 4-5 hours. I've seen some other forum dwellers say its double that amount.

So which is it?

MormaPope

Banned
Apologies for this as I would imagine its been asked a lot but what's the average play length of this on default difficulty. I've only seen a couple of reviews and they say 4-5 hours. I've seen some other forum dwellers say its double that amount.

So which is it?

8-10 hours on hard difficulty.

In game counter only counts successful runs to each checkpoint. So dying and playing for an hour won't be counted when you cleared that same section in 10 minutes on your latest run.

So which is it?

8-10 hours. The 4 hours is the in-game completion clock which has caused a lot of confusion amongst people who can't do research or tell the passage of time.

addyb

8-10 hours on hard difficulty.

In game counter only counts successful runs to each checkpoint. So dying and playing for an hour won't be counted when you cleared that same section in 10 minutes on your latest run.

8-10 hours. The 4 hours is the in-game completion clock which has caused a lot of confusion amongst people who can't do research or tell the passage of time.

Ahh OK so it would be around a few hours if you were godlike and blitzed through it without dying. Like no one will do on the 1st playthrough.

L.O.R.D

playstationlifestyle . net/2013/02/19/metal-gear-rising-revengeance-review-ps3

3 / 10

cons
Awful parry system.
Constantly obstructed camera and narrow rooms blocking view.
Enemies are overly difficult, and circle out of vision.
Bosses cannot be hit at times, adding to the ample frustration.
Bosses, grunts, even supporting characters are bland and forgettable.
Stealth and exploration are only partially done, and useless.
Story? What story? Oh, that mess.
VR Missions aren't worth playing. Offer no training opportunity.
Upgrades have little effect.
Did I mention how bad the parry and camera system are?
This game should have remained cancelled.
good
Zandatsu is cool and satisfying.
There are a few badass action sequences.
The misery, I mean game, ends in five hours.

this review is a joke
the same guy who review AC 3 for 10/10

JoeFenix

3 / 10

cons

good

this review is a joke

Platinum cycle!

In 2 years everyone will suddenly "get it", just like Vanquish. It's a sign of quality.

3 / 10

cons

good

this review is a joke
C'mon don't start this. If you feel differently then fine, but don't live in the unrealistic world where everyone's opinion is the same.

antitrop

C'mon don't start this. If you feel differently then fine, but don't live in the unrealistic world where everyone's opinion is the same.
No, you don't understand.
That guy is literally full of shit and a complete cancer. It's not just his opinion.

Shitty game reviews do not deserve to be defended under the guise of "opinion", with similar circumstances to Brandon Justice's 9/10 Aliens: Colonial Marines review, or even this very same guy's 10/10 Assassin's Creed III review.

zroid

Banned
Platinum cycle!

In 2 years everyone will suddenly "get it", just like Vanquish. It's a sign of quality.

People eventually "got" Vanquish? It always seemed to me those folks who hated it back then continue to hate it now. It's definitely P*'s most divisive game.

MormaPope

Banned
The camera in this game IS shit, though. It's been awhile I've played one with a camera THIS bad.

My problem with it in the demo was how you couldn't speed up the camera sensitivity, and in general the camera should be raised up so you can see the area around Raiden better.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The art book Gamestop got isn't really worth it, IMO. They were going to give it to me, I flipped through it after I said "no, I'm missing the Grey Fox/Cyborg Ninja skin code on my print-out" had them go through it and the art while nice... isn't the best pre-order incentive. It's kinda like Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin's "pre-order" art-book, really lacking in art and hyped to be more than it is. It's like 6-12 pages of "art" and renders, not really worth it so if you haven't gotten it, you aren't really missing anything. Yoji or not.

Fabrik

Banned

3 / 10

cons

good

this review is a joke

Seriouly, this guy deserves a slap in the face.

GlSim.gif

It's crazy this website is counted in Gamerankings.

It's even crazier when publishers are basing studio bonuses on the average review score in Gamerankings.

Feindflug

My problem with it in the demo was how you couldn't speed up the camera sensitivity, and in general the camera should be raised up so you can see the area around Raiden better.

There is a camera sensitivity option in the retail version and it helps quite a bit.

JoeFenix

People eventually "got" Vanquish? It always seemed to me those folks who hated it back then continue to hate it now. It's definitely P*'s most divisive game.

Uh no?

Just look at all the LTTP threads popping up left and right, I don't think I've heard anything negative about Vanquish in the last year.

When it came out it was BLAH BLAH BLAH 6 hours, BLAH BLAH BLAH no multiplayer, BLAH BLAH BLAH just sit in cover like Gears of War. It completely flew over most people's heads.

Dodging and Parrying in this game seems to be sticking point for most people. Those mechanics combined with Zandatsu are what makes the game so cool and unique, just like the sliding and mobility in Vanquish.

Gotta say, as a casual collector of MGS and Shinkawa stuff, I'm pretty impressed with the quality of the art book. For a freebie, it's a nice format size and, although it doesn't have a lot of pages, what is there is great.

Dahbomb

For MGR the complaints are going to be too short (4 hour game? bargain bin), no dedicated block button/dodge button, nonsensical story, bad camera and no MGO.

RS4-

I thought it was like 8-9 hours to beat?

It's close to 8 for your first play through, but people that complain about the 4 are based on other people not knowing better and only looking at the end game screen.

Anyway, for a speedrun, I think I can do it under an hour. I'll try it in a few days.

JoeFenix

For MGR the complaints are going to be too short (4 hour game? bargain bin), no dedicated block button/dodge button, nonsensical story, bad camera and no MGO.

I don't think the lack of MGO thing will be a complaint, bad camera will probably be the only legit complaint at the end of the day. Story well, it's Metal Gear, I'm sure it's a fun ride!

Am I the only one that doesn't care if a game isn't super padded out? A short and sweet ZoE2 style length with good replay value sounds great to me.

I gotta say, I love the design of SAM, reminds me of this dude from Neo Contra.

jaguar1.jpg

That game was kinda shit but it had one of the most hype intros, been watching it in preparation!

Syriel

Does the exclusive VR missions come on the disc?

PS3 exclusive (but only in NA) VR Mission DLC is paid DLC that isn't out yet.

It will be forthcoming.

My complaints are the camera and the lack of depth in combat. It's not that MGR is too difficult, but rather the fact that it relies so heavily on the parry there is hardly any variety.

How to win at MGR:
1) Parry incoming attack.
2) Counter attack.
3) Do QTE (if fighting a boss)

zroid

Banned
Uh no?

Just look at all the LTTP threads popping up left and right, I don't think I've heard anything negative about Vanquish in the last year.

When it came out it was BLAH BLAH BLAH 6 hours, BLAH BLAH BLAH no multiplayer, BLAH BLAH BLAH just sit in cover like Gears of War. It completely flew over most people's heads.

These couldn't possibly be the same people who sing its praises now. The arguments are too immature. I was referring to the reviews, anyway; I thought we were talking about critical reception.

Dahbomb

I don't think the lack of MGO thing will be a complaint, bad camera will probably be the only legit complaint at the end of the day. Story well, it's Metal Gear, I'm sure it's a fun ride!

Am I the only one that doesn't care if a game isn't super padded out? A short and sweet ZoE2 style length with good replay value sounds great to me.
Already seen people ask for MGO and complain about there not being one.

Pompadour

Anyone else having trouble redeeming the Cyborg Ninja DLC from Gamestop? I just called them and they said it wasn't their problem and to contact Microsoft.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Anyone else having trouble redeeming the Cyborg Ninja DLC from Gamestop? I just called them and they said it wasn't their problem and to contact Microsoft.

Probably not up on XBLM right now. Give it a day or two.

How to win at MGR:
1) Parry incoming attack.
2) Counter attack.
3) Do QTE (if fighting a boss)

You forgot, mash heavy attack with the occasional light attack. I'm on Hard, and maybe it changes up on the later areas, but combat is already feeling overly-familiar.

JoeFenix

These couldn't possibly be the same people who sing its praises now. The arguments are too immature. I was referring to the reviews, anyway; I thought we were talking about critical reception.

I was talking about how the general perception of the game evolved after it's release.

Which is what matters at the end of the day, how a game stands the test of time.

I was just pointing out that there is a precedent with P* games of reviews not giving the games enough credit.

addyb

All this talk of vanquish and I'm ashamed to admit ive never played it :( Got it sat on my PS+ as well. Might have to give it a whirl after I've watched the footy.

Top Bottom