• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Kyon

Banned
The last boss is not that hard.

When he does his "fire attacks", the ground illuminates where the fire is going to strike. Just move, man. :p When he goes into heal mode, blade mode will interrupt him. Hit the pink square on the back of his head. Also, use dodge more often than parry.

>;(

the problem isn't the fire. It's the first major sequence when he throws the giant debris at you and you have to cut my FC runs out before the second cause I can't line up the BM for shit. It's me -____- I suck at BM

Just chapter 3 on Hard so far! I really really like the parry system. They made timing really generous and you can even parry out of the normal grunt's combo strings. It's so simple, but it maintains the momentum of the fight in a way that I find really unique and interesting.

So far, the game's a rollercoaster ride. I'm hoping that it maintains that strength of pacing.

Glad to hear it. But when you hit the final boss you let me know how that goes on Hard ;__; cause on normal ... I can't

bar mitzvah

Neo Member
>;(

the problem isn't the fire. It's the first major sequence when he throws the giant debris at you and you have to cut my FC runs out before the second cause I can't line up the BM for shit. It's me -____- I suck at BM

I think you can just ninja run under the debris. This will cause the senator to jump down and fight you. The downside would be that you wouldn't get the health kits that fall from the sky after you complete the sequence. I had 0 health kits to start the fight, so I had to get through the whole first sequence without dying. That was fun.

Mupod

So I unlocked a blue and red body by doing VR missions. Does anyone know the exact stat bonuses on these? It says red increases electrolyte gain at the cost of defense which sounds useless, whereas blue has higher defense and lower fuel consumption. Which sounds like it'd be nice except I already feel like I don't do enough damage.

jett

D-Member
>;(

Glad to hear it. But when you hit the final boss you let me know how that goes on Hard ;__; cause on normal ... I can't

Oh lol.
You aren't forgetting to move the the right stick AND the left stick, are you? :p That part really threw me off because I just used the face buttons through the entire game. And suddenly DIAGONAL CUTTING OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE. But yeah, use the left stick to better position yourself when cutting the rocks.

I wish the blade mode UI showed the central axis that your right stick is rotating around, because there's a ton of guesswork and I'm wasting way too much blade mode meter trying to get those arms.

Mercuryvoid

Neo Member
I am not a regular poster in NeoGAF, but I think this matter need to be said.

Why do people (and review site) said that DmC (yes, the new so-called Devil May Cry) is better than Rising? Rising have more depth in the combat area than DmC can ever hope to dream. Yes, the learning curve is very steep and the game doesn't hold our hands along the way like the usual other game, but that's how Platinum, along with Capcom and Clover before them, does it. In the original DMC, I throw my controller after numerous attempt at the shadow cat (Nightmare?) fight. It took me a couple of days to past that one boss. In DMC3 (I know this game wasn't made by all of the original team), I've lost count to how many times the bosses handed me my beaten-up butt in a glorious and shinning silver plate. In Bayonetta, fight with the Jeanne made me literally scream at my TV. Those game also did not hold your hands in any way. I love them.

Now comes Revengeance. Some said it does a terrible job at explaining thing, but in my defense, everything is explained to those that willing to make a freaking effort to press a button or two. The game have a HELP menu, for the love of God.

As for the depth of combat, I am thinking some people just don't understand how to play the game. Yes, with certain patience, you may be able to mash button your way to finish the game, but that's the same with a fighting game like Tekken of Virtua Fighter. Pressing punch all the way can still kill your opponent, but if you can string a couple of combos, it would definitely make the experience a lot better.

Just another two cent of mine. Happy to contribute.

jett

D-Member
I wish the blade mode UI showed the central axis that your right stick is rotating around, because there's a ton of guesswork and I'm wasting way too much blade mode meter trying to get those arms.

Counter an attack > blade mode > cut off the legs > arm will be in a perfect position for an easy horizontal slice

So I unlocked a blue and red body by doing VR missions. Does anyone know the exact stat bonuses on these? It says red increases electrolyte gain at the cost of defense which sounds useless, whereas blue has higher defense and lower fuel consumption. Which sounds like it'd be nice except I already feel like I don't do enough damage.

I used the blue one for one mission and I didn't really notice much difference tbh.

Riposte

Alright, the gorilla guy who pops up in the first battle of the first real chapter on Very Hard is kicking my ass. He has so much health and he can kill really quick. When he uppercuts me it launches me into the air and then it slow-mos as he hits me over and over. It is basically a one hit kill. What am I missing?

Also what should do the for the left stick QTEs?

Jarmel

Banned
I'm playing on Hard and I'm starting to get my ass destroyed. Mistral was an utter pain in the ass and these trio of whatever in the sewer are wrecking my shit.

zainetor

Banned
I am not a regular poster in NeoGAF, but I think this matter need to be said.

Why do people (and review site) said that DmC (yes, the new so-called Devil May Cry) is better than Rising? Rising have more depth in the combat area than DmC can ever hope to dream. Yes, the learning curve is very steep and the game doesn't hold our hands along the way like the usual other game, but that's how Platinum, along with Capcom and Clover before them, does it. In the original DMC, I throw my controller after numerous attempt at the shadow cat (Nightmare?) fight. It took me a couple of days to past that one boss. In DMC3 (I know this game wasn't made by all of the original team), I've lost count to how many times the bosses handed me my beaten-up butt in a glorious and shinning silver plate. In Bayonetta, fight with the Jeanne made me literally scream at my TV. Those game also did not hold your hands in any way. I love them.

Now comes Revengeance. Some said it does a terrible job at explaining thing, but in my defense, everything is explained to those that willing to make a freaking effort to press a button or two. The game have a HELP menu, for the love of God.

As for the depth of combat, I am thinking some people just don't understand how to play the game. Yes, with certain patience, you may be able to mash button your way to finish the game, but that's the same with a fighting game like Tekken of Virtua Fighter. Pressing punch all the way can still kill your opponent, but if you can string a couple of combos, it would definitely make the experience a lot better.

Just another two cent of mine. Happy to contribute.

most players just like bitching. When ninja gaiden came out in 2004 o god...The bitching and that game was a masterpiece.

Teknoman

I KNEW Sam was going to have a spanish accent.

Btw there is a difference between perfect parry and the normal one? Like timing it a split second before the attack lands?

jett

D-Member
Alright, the gorilla guy who pops up in the first battle of the first real chapter on Very Hard is kicking my ass. He has so much health and he can kill really quick. When he uppercuts me it launches me into the air and then it slow-mos as he hits me over and over. It is basically a one hit kill. What am I missing?

Also what should do the for the left stick QTEs?

You can parry the follow-up attack in the air. Just be mindful of his attacks, parry and dodge.
Also, don't forget you have ripper mode if it's too much trouble. :p

As for the other thing: quickly move the left stick from left to right.

I KNEW Sam was going to have a spanish accent.

Btw there is a difference between perfect parry and the normal one? Like timing it a split second before the attack lands?

There's just the regular "defend" parry and the counter parry, where after parrying you automatically attack. You get the counter by parrying at the last possible moment yeah. In normal and hard the window is pretty generous for doing this. It tightens up considerably in very hard.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
After I got the hang of the last boss, I realized that it is actually pretty great. Does what a last boss should do - tests to make sure you can do everything the game has taught you for the last 6 hours.

I beat it, it seems like the first part of the battle is way hard. I am so glad he drops rations each round though...

Nitemare1

So being a fan of MG I bought this sight unseen and didnt even play the demo. I have to say after finishing the first level I'm pretty blown away. I wasn't really expecting this but I'm loving it. Everything just feels awesome. With a light glaze of that slightly silly military politics world on top to make it feel like Metal Gear. So happy I picked this up.

Dahbomb

Why do people (and review site) said that DmC (yes, the new so-called Devil May Cry) is better than Rising? Rising have more depth in the combat area than DmC can ever hope to dream.
So where is the depth in Rising that DmC can never hope to achieve?

421792_507423782634703_300912875_n.jpg

WTF WHAT

Nemesis_

Final boss bitching. Hard mode. Answers appreciated.

Sometimes he glows green and heals, I go into Blade Mode and hit the red square but he grabs my sword and deals damage to me. Is there any way to stop the healing process without taking damage myself?

Also are there any checkpoints in the battle? I've beaten this cunt once already but for some reason I'm having shitloads of trouble my second time around :/

zainetor

Banned

Sometimes he glows green and heals, I go into Blade Mode and hit the red square but he grabs my sword and deals damage to me. Is there any way to stop the healing process without taking damage myself?

Also are there any checkpoints in the battle? I've beaten this cunt once already but for some reason I'm having shitloads of trouble my second time around :/

you have to go behind him I guess.

Kyon

Banned
I think you can just ninja run under the debris. This will cause the senator to jump down and fight you. The downside would be that you wouldn't get the health kits that fall from the sky after you complete the sequence. I had 0 health kits to start the fight, so I had to get through the whole first sequence without dying. That was fun.

I actually did it O__O somehow I did BM without the fave buttons and got the health paste yay! I beat the game!

Oh lol.
You aren't forgetting to move the the right stick AND the left stick, are you? :p That part really threw me off because I just used the face buttons through the entire game. And suddenly DIAGONAL CUTTING OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE. But yeah, use the left stick to better position yourself when cutting the rocks.

That was PRECISELY what my problem was. But somehow after the 20th time I did two sequences and now I beat him! Thanks!

Astral

Hard mode is hard. GRADS kick my ass and if it weren't for the overabundance of healing items, Monsoon would've killed me like 4 times. Seriously, he's freaking insane. How do you NOT get hit?

Teknoman

I'm loving the game but keep sucking at actually parrying. I just block stuff.

There's just the regular "defend" parry and the counter parry, where after parrying you automatically attack. You get the counter by parrying at the last possible moment yeah. In normal and hard the window is pretty generous for doing this. It tightens up considerably in very hard.

Hmm I might just end up doing defend, though I think I was pretty good at actual parrying in the demo. Counter attacked all the time. Playing through on Hard for the first run, we'll see how it goes. Just got to the first actual stage (demo stage), totally forgot you'd be able to buy enhancements and so on like other action games.

Ok on last boss and WTF I keep dying this guy is INVINCIBLE -___-

I got Sam's sword now but I have no more paste to heal myself ugh anyone have tips? I can't perfect party any of his attacks :(
My final boss strategy on Hard: (by no means a Pro player, just offering my advice)
I was in a similar situation to yours, left with no repair nanopaste after the giant robot spider fight. I had to quit back to the menu and chapter select the final level, replay it twice to stock up on repair nanopastes (only 3 med packs in the level). Try not to waste any nanopaste on the robot spider, as soon as you see the autosave icon at the bottom of the screen, restart checkpoint, you won't lose any progress and it will refill your health and electrolytes. Don't try to fight the final boss head on, I saw you said earlier that you can deal with the fire, the next thing you need to do is don't go for a long combo, just slash him a few times then get ready to use Defensive Offensive to sidestep his red attack, don't worry about parrying him, just sidestep and you can put in a few slashes before you have to sidestep again, or get ready to run away when he's glowing orange. If the debris is your main problem, just keep practicing and you'll get it eventually (or apparently you can just run under the debris and avoid the cutting section entirely? Somebody said this on the previous page, I haven't tested it myself). There's one or two variation of QTEs where he slapped off your sword, don't mess up the QTE cos you can do quite a bit of damage to him. Don't panic when you're running low on nanopaste because halfway into the battle, there will be more nanopaste dropped on the ground. Take it slow, observe his moves and you'll be fine.

Kyon

Banned
So where is the depth in Rising that DmC can never hope to achieve?

There isn't lol. You have like 3 real combos for every weapon and the special attacks :/ I wish there was DLC with more combos

My final boss strategy: (by no means a Pro player, just offering my advice)
I was in a similar situation to yours, left with no repair nanopaste after the giant robot spider fight. I had to quit back to the menu and chapter select the final level, replay it twice to stock up on repair nanopastes (only 3 med packs in the level). Don't try to fight the final boss head on, I saw you said earlier that you can deal with the fire, the next thing you need to do is don't go for a long combo, just slash him a few times then get ready to use Defensive Offensive to sidestep his red attack, or get ready to run away when he's glowing orange. If the debris is your main problem, just keep practicing and you'll get it eventually (or apparently you can just run under the debris and avoid the cutting section entirely? Somebody said this on the previous page, I haven't tested it myself). There's one or two variation of QTEs where he slapped off your sword, don't mess up the QTE cos you can do quite a bit of damage to him. Don't panic when you're running low on nanopaste because halfway into the battle, there will be more nanopaste dropped on the ground. Take it slow, observe his moves and you'll be fine.

Omg thank you so much! :D

Is there some sort of "100% perfect parry" window or something or parrying specific moves crumple enemies instantly? I swear that there have been several instances where I have parried an enemy once and they immediately go blue and prompt for finisher. During the Monsoon fight I parried him and he fell to pieces into a weakened state instantly but I did not get it to happen again

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

You're missing the green thing. If you hit it you take no damage. That's all the help I got since I just finished it on normal and had one hell of a time.

jett

D-Member
Kyon said:
That was PRECISELY what my problem was. But somehow after the 20th time I did two sequences and now I beat him! Thanks!

chuck.gif

Hmm I might just end up doing defend, though I think I was pretty good at actual parrying in the demo. Counter attacked all the time. Playing through on Hard for the first run, we'll see how it goes.

what's the rub then :p Parrying is essential in this game. Just defending leaves you open to attacks from other enemies, and you just don't look as cool!

Riposte

You can parry the follow-up attack in the air. Just be mindful of his attacks, parry and dodge.
Also, don't forget you have ripper mode if it's too much trouble. :p

As for the other thing: quickly move the left stick from left to right.

I don't have that mode. This is basically the first fight lol.

My problem is that these QTEs are annoying as hell to escape from. It is silly that I'm dying to that more than anything else.

Can I parry it without air parry unlocked?

TheOGB

Banned
So I think the parrying problem might be related to the camera problem. Pointing in the direction of the enemy wouldn't be a problem if the camera was better than it is. I'll try messing with the sensitivity more and see if I can find a sweet spot. (It's currently at 9)

Just beat Monsoon and finished Chapter 3
Raiden's transformation into the Ripper seemed abrupt/not fully "earned", like... every other Platinum game when someone goes insane, though more in this than in, say, Anarchy Reigns
. Kinda stumbled through that and nearly all of the stealth sections. It's... pretty damn hard to be sneaky in this game. (Part of it was my fault, but not as much as it usually is :p) Also strange to me how much button mashing I'm getting away with. At the same time, this game is so insane, and I love that Platinum insanity.

Mercuryvoid

Neo Member
There isn't lol. You have like 3 real combos for every weapon and the special attacks :/ I wish there was DLC with more combos

Combos are not equal to depth. Stringing skills to match your situation and your enemy type, while parrying and dodging and zandatsu-ing them into oblivion, that's depth.

Top Bottom