• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

jett

D-Member
and then God only knows when all their body parts will explode and the time stops.

I ran up the enemies, they attacked, I countered, kill all three with a blade mode attack. Run over and charge Pincher's where Gecko will spawn, let him have it. The wide range of the Pincer's attacks can take out the other guys pretty quickly too

edit: His opening strat is probably better than mine, but the second part is pretty similar

And you have to wait 10-15 seconds every time you restart. Uggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

screenlg1.jpg

I... don't remember this in the game. It's on Microsoft's page for the game though. Who is this?

x86

Neo Member
The instrumentals (non-vocal tracks) are only on the Limited Edition soundtrack. The vocal tracks are only available as a retail/digital release.

Is it, or will it be, possible to purchase versions of the songs having the same progression as in the boss fights -- i.e. with vocals kicking in towards the end? Also, is there no official release of 'A Stranger I Remain' longer than the 2:25 version on the Vocal Tracks CD?

Kyon

Banned
Am I the only person who thought that when you fight the lion thing and it attacks you with its tail from above and from the side, you had to point in that direction to parry? Turns out that's not the case?

LION?

You mean the Metal Gear? Lmao or the dog?

And you have to wait 10-15 seconds every time you restart. Uggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

My kingdom for an instant restart. Yeah, yeah, this virtual reality opening is nice Platinum, but I'm playing these things dozens of times in a row, the effect has worn off!

MormaPope

Banned
Just finished the YoVideogames MGR review. Put my heart and soul into this one, lot's of throwbacks to old games and a Solid Snake cameo.

Hope you guys rike it.
YoVideogames Metal Gear Rising : Revengeance Review (The Best Metal Gear?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqSUZRQ4vIA

You basically said my exact thoughts on the game. Fantastic review.

You're point on how Rising makes you feel like a kid again seeing something grand and new in videogames really resonates with me.

L.O.R.D

How did you do this? Do you have to S rank every fight, or just the overall chapter?

overall for all missions
for some unknown reason , i defeat the last boss and he didn't touch me ( i think ) but didn't get the achievement
but i got A in that fight , and S for overall for all the levels

So I was having fun on the final boss, until
he started throwing pieces of metal gear at me. I can slice it the first time, but not the second time. I swear I'm putting the stick dead on, and I'm getting nothing. This went from being fun to being fucking stupid.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
It's been a long time since a game got me to fist pump. I've never played any of the Metal Gear series so I'm going to go ahead and assume that the level of camp is just par-for-the-course but the action is so fucking great it makes everything else about the game better. I've always felt that if you're going to do QTEs then do them right; Rising manages to pull them off with a degree of flair that actually makes them fun. Fluid combat, bullet time with a sword, cheesy vocals that kick up whenever you're about to tap a keg of whoop-ass on an enemy... got damn.

This game gives me feels.

MormaPope

Banned
I wish someone could take a picture and show me how to fucking do the diagonal cut for the last boss fight. One of the most precise cuts you'll ever have to do in your entire life and you get a second to do it.

Wow,
the final boss is a completely different experience if you choose to dodge as much stuff as possible, even the parryable hits. I think that's how it was designed to be, with Raiden fighting with finesse against a charging bull, basically.

Upon further reflection, it was an interesting contrast to how overpowered you feel throughout most of the game, and how much you outclassed whatever/whoever you were fighting. There's still a bit of "rushed out the door" feel about that sequence, though.

Duffyside

Banned
So, I'm OCD in that I try to play a game as the creators intended, at least at first. So... they haven't said anything yet about "here's how to upgrade your moves and buy stuff" but I feel like I should've been doing that a long time ago. Should I bother waiting? Will they ever make me go upgrade? I really want to dodge stuff...

liquidtmd

Banned
The best game I've taken more than a casual interest in over a year with.

Considering my expectations of the game and its long winding development history its better than it had any right to be. Absolutely bravo P* - worth the price of admission for level one alone

TheGrue

Alright, so since the fighting system wasn't quite clicking with me, I just did the first VR mission over and over again until I learned a bunch of new stuff. Now I feel like I have a much better grasp on when I should use blade mode, what you can and can't parry, etc.

My only gripe is that I feel like the camera can really get in the way of trying to play this game. When the gekkos charge, I was trying to run away from them and then the camera would screw me over and I'd get hit. After playing the VR, I realize now I can just parry that charge and get a quick kill on them, so in the end that camera problem doesn't matter, but I am sure it will come up again.

I'd like to use targeting, but it seems to pick the wrong target for me all the time and I haven't figured out if you can just easily switch from target to target or no. Anyone know?

So, I'm OCD in that I try to play a game as the creators intended, at least at first. So... they haven't said anything yet about "here's how to upgrade your moves and buy stuff" but I feel like I should've been doing that a long time ago. Should I bother waiting? Will they ever make me go upgrade? I really want to dodge stuff...
At the end of chapters it'll ask you if you want to customize Raiden (though you can do this at any point by pressing select/back and choosing it), do it and you can change your weapon, appearance, and buy upgrades including moves.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I tired to demo to see if I should get this and couldn't beat the boss. The only hint I had was "PARRY LS+X" and all I did was slice at the boss when he did his ultra-damage move. Once or twice I managed to counter-attack, but I had no idea how I did it.

So I guess demos really do hurt sales.

remz

I tired to demo to see if I should get this and couldn't beat the boss. The only hint I had was "PARRY LS+X" and all I did was slice at the boss when he did his ultra-damage move. Once or twice I managed to counter-attack, but I had no idea how I did it.

you did it with LS + X

Dead

well not really...yet
I can't beat the 3 raptors at the start of chapter 2.

I dont understand, sometimes I injure them enough for a Triangle/circle prompt to pop up leading to a kill, but the rest of the time I can only cut off their legs and I still get killed by the others.

Is there something Im missing? How do you activate the Triangle/Circle Zandatsu prompt?

abrack08

I had this preordered after I heard about the Cyborg Ninja DLC but didn't think I'd be able to get it. Made a last minute decision today to trade in a few games and I was actually able to get this and Ni No Kuni. Now I'm pumped! Just got to the end of the demo part. So far, so awesome.

Just finished chapter 1.

My God. Game is so fun. Combat feels amazing. Literally my only issue right now is the camera which you have to babysit way too often or risk getting slammed from off camera. It just spazzes for no reason and is too close when fighting Gekkos. Aside from that though, I love the combat, love the cheese, love the references, love everything. I'm also impressed with how much codec dialogue they bothered doing for this kind of game. 95% of players won't even bother with it.

Only reason I'm stopping is for the Playstation megaton conference.

abrack08

You point towards the enemy when they're attacking and press X/[], which you did a few times. It doesn't work if you're pointing in the wrong direction or if you're already in an animation. You can't really mash attack over and over and then all of a sudden parry, at least in my very tiny experience. I know if I was in the middle of that Triangle - Pause - Square - Triangle combo, for example, and tried to parry and it never worked.

Just finished chapter 1.

My God. Game is so fun. Combat feels amazing. Literally my only issue right now is the camera which you have to babysit way too often or risk getting slammed from off camera. It just spazzes for no reason and is too close when fighting Gekkos. Aside from that though, I love the combat, love the cheese, love the references, love everything. I'm also impressed with how much codec dialogue they bothered doing for this kind of game. 95% of players won't even bother with it.

Only reason I'm stopping is for the Playstation megaton conference.

Same here. Really annoying during that boss though. Sometimes the camera would freak out and point at the wall, then he'd do one of his big charging attacks and I couldn't see him at all.

Ferr986

Just started this and reached the dog. I only can say...

PLATGAMES.jpg

Holy fucking shit!

I started on Normal. Tempted to restart on Hard. I dont know...

Also, if JP check this, spanish subs are kind of borked, sometimes they show in German.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hahaha.

(Kissy-face)
"!"
(Doctor appears on that cool HUD display) "Raiden, what happened your heart rate spiked--!"
(Raiden flicks him out of the way to use the HUD binocs)

Finished hard difficulty, currently starting Revengeance difficulty, shit's insane, but more or less manageable, I can get past most of the levels without healing items. Ironically the prologue was by far the hardest part, since prologue Raiden doesn't get any of the upgrades you've obtained before, and I'm pretty sure they forgot to take that into account when they raised the damage so high. Literally everything a Gecko does will one-shot prologue Raiden, and there's a Gecko on the very first screen...

But Revengeance mode forces you to utilize all of your tools, I've almost never used ripper mode on my hard play-through, but for Revengeance I always make sure to use ripper mode to eliminate or disarm tougher enemies first, or use sub-weapons to gain the advantage.

Favorite boss fight is
Sam
by far, the music, the set piece, the boss design, it was so good they had to devote an entire chapter to it because they know players will want to replay that fight all the time. I never use healing items, sub-weapons or unique weapons against Sam, it's true a samurai duel.

So, after yesterday's Best Buy fiasco, I bought a copy of the game at my local Wal-Mart while grocery shopping and lo and behold, it contained a copy of the soundtrack. If this is the right soundtrack (the one that comes with the LE) then I can keep the lamp and steelbook and take the unopened Xbox copy back to Best Buy for a full refund. Can someone confirm this for me?

fAgWHIPl.jpg

RangerBAD

God, what the hell am I doing wrong on the Monsoon fight? I can only get him to around 60%. I'm using the HF blade without upgrades though and no skills or the like. lol

Guess Who

Banned
God, what the hell am I doing wrong on the Monsoon fight? I can only get him to around 60%. I'm using the HF blade without upgrades though and no skills or the like. lol

Parry like a mofo and
click both analog sticks in when your meter is red to activate Ripper Mode for more damage

Sora_N

Man the
Blade Wolf
was so hard for me, but I just finished
Mistral
and it aws pretty easy for Normal. Either that or I learned timing a bit better (I sux at these games).

Top Bottom