• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hahaha.

(Mistral Kissy-face)
"!"
(Doctor appears on that cool HUD display) "Raiden, what happened your heart rate spiked--!"
(Raiden flicks him out of the way to use the HUD binocs)

Anyway, the chapter 1 boss fight was pretty crazy but do-able with those MGS4 bots tagging along. So far so good for Hard, unlocked Grey Fox as well and I'm disappointed that he isn't used in cutscenes since they rendered it in engine but at a higher quality for the cutscenes. :(

So, after yesterday's Best Buy fiasco, I bought a copy of the game at my local Wal-Mart while grocery shopping and lo and behold, it contained a copy of the soundtrack. If this is the right soundtrack (the one that comes with the LE) then I can keep the lamp and steelbook and take the unopened Xbox copy back to Best Buy for a full refund. Can someone confirm this for me?

fAgWHIPl.jpg

Can someone help me out here so I can get my money back?

Just started Very Hard. I think I'm finally playing the full game.

That first area was just purposefully hard,
when the two bladewolves jump down, I was like "no way", and when one disengaged to shoot the undodgeable Zoids cannon at me, I raged. And then more rocket troopers spawn and I nearly broke my controller in half.

Just started mission 1, and holy shit it's like a totally different game.

Just finished it for the first time on Hard, man, that final boss. My reaction to the entire thing was
Oh, a Metal Gear? I guess that's appropriate. Well, this wasn't too hard I wonder what GAF was talking abou-- GREY HULK PLAYED COLLEGE FOOTBALL AND IS KICKING MY ASS, GOD BLESS AMERICA!
I actually enjoyed the entire fight despite all the hype of it being inappropriately difficult, I think what helped was
knowing to dodge instead of parry, and then I figured out to blade mode his back when he starts healing,
after that it wasn't too ridiculous.

The whole game felt Platinum throughout, which even goes towards the characterizations, cutscenes and codec handling. I loved it for what it was but it didn't feel Metal Gear, though I'm not saying that as a bad thing, it was just different.

As far as gripes go I think the camera could've used some work, I very rarely take notice to bad cameras in games as I just get used to it but at times the camera would just spazz in terrible ways as I'm trying to get a focus on an enemy. Lock-on helps that in one on one, but when there are multiple enemies it's not ideal, which is why I would've preferred a more DMC style hold-lock.

I was surprised to see the end screen tally my legs chopped off at 4 and 5, I guess they're pretty specific on what counts as cutting off a leg.

Revven

Finally got the game in my hands, updating it atm. Recommended difficulty to play the first time is Hard, correct? Hard is basically this game's Normal, right? And Normal is easy, and Easy is very easy etc.?

Can't wait to get started.

I've been collecting the
officer left hands
, but there is no indication of how many I need to upgrade, or what they upgrade. Anyone have any idea? Also, do only the
officer left hands
count or is it any left hand?

Also I don't see the dive kick anywhere to upgrade to. Where is that?

TheSeks

Thought someone said that Grey Fox 1 hit kill sword was available to buy on Xbox?

Only if you preordered at Gamestop.

Anyway, MGS4 Raiden is just a skin. No weapon. So not really worth it unless you REALLY want MGS4 Raiden over default Revengence Raiden, and even then you don't want either of them once you "buy"/pre-order code Grey Fox.

chrono01

Konami responded back asking for my details and such so they can send me a Plasma Lamp replacement [after mine arrived broken].

Excellent service so far, here's hoping everything goes smoothly!

Just beat the game on normal and ummm yeah I must do a second playthrough on the hard difficulty because normal was a breeze. I had no type of challenge. The final boss was even easy.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
This is quite possibly the most badass game ever created. The way the music climaxes on the boss fights...sooooo good.

chrono01

So.. how does the left hand mechanic work? Can it be any left hand? Specific left hands? Random left hands?

You get bonus BP by slicing the left/right hands, but specific left hands reward you with specific ID's. You know it's one when it glows blue while in blade-mode.

TheSeks

How much extra BP does it give you? 1000 for all left-hands?

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
This is quite possibly the most badass game ever created. The way the music climaxes on the boss fights...sooooo good.

Yeah it's campy as fuck but really endearing too. That first boss fight threw me for a second when it happened.

"Is this really happening?" Then I had to swallow some pride and admit that it was, in fact, awesome.

Caj814

Sundowner
Did anyone else have trouble bringing down his shields during the fight via Zandetsu? I kept messing up the line by just a little so many times that I abandoned the idea entirely and just dodged behind him and took him down with no gimmicks

Holy shit, on the courtyard with the ferris wheel, if you trigger an alert on Very Hard it'll spawn a tank mech on top of the mobs you're already fighting.

So.. how does the left hand mechanic work? Can it be any left hand? Specific left hands? Random left hands?

They'll be marked on your AR with a blinking blue box and a big crosshair. They're collectibles, so if you grab one it won't spawn again on subsequent playthroughs.

You're supposed to cut the blue part, not the red. If you cut the red it'll destroy the hand and you'll have to try again next time.

Bedlam

Just finished the first chapter and I love it!

My only gripe so far is that there's no move list (edit: solved) . I wish they would at least tell you how to do the moves when you buy them ... like in Lords of Shadow, for example.

Is there a comprehensive list on the interwebz somewhere? If so, please someone direct me to it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

My only gripe so far is that there's no move list. I wish they would at least tell you how to do the moves when you buy them ... like in Lords of Shadow, for example.

Is there a comprehensive list on the interwebz somewhere? If so, please someone direct me to it.

The move list is "Help" in the pause menu.

What I like about AR mode is that it avoids Batman detective mode of "why not just have it on all the time". On top of having no radar, it automatically turns off once you enter combat or start running, so it's something you'll use on occasion but will be a hassle if you want to keep using it.

I ended up getting most of the hands in my first playthrough, like 25 or 26 out of 30. I guess I'll do another hard run to mop up the collectibles and build myself up a bit more for Revengeance.

It Has To Be This Way kinda sounds like it would have been a boss remix of the MGS Main Theme if it weren't for the whole plagiarism thing. :(

My only gripe so far is that there's no move list..

There is actually, in the Help menu.

Sundowner
Did anyone else have trouble bringing down his shields during the fight via Zandetsu? I kept messing up the line by just a little so many times that I abandoned the idea entirely and just dodged behind him and took him down with no gimmicks

I didn't know I can take away his shield the first time I fought him so I gave him an oldschool ass beatin.

Dead

well not really...yet
Monsoon fight was so badass, got me to parry like a motherfucker!

I haven't bought either of the subweapons yet, I think I will keep those for the 2nd playthrough.

Dave_6

Good God this game is kicking my ass but I want to keep going back for more. I thought I had parrying down after the demo but I was wrong, WAY wrong lol.

TheSeks

What the fuck is the deal with the falling bridge segment in chp 1 (hard)?

I hate HATE trial and error bs like this.

It's a Platinum trademark, and yes: it's awful. But just ninja run in a straight line, it works.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Are people jumping a ton during the falling bridge or something? Ninja run forward, fug jumping. Dodge or slice through cars. That's it.

Top Bottom